Apple confirms Confederate flag ban in App Store, says war games have to change art

Comments

• Reply 221 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Really? What 'law' was it that they were violating? Whose law? Where can I find it?

By your definition, were 'native' Americans illegal too? By when were they not? Why?

native Americans didn't write down their laws. but they occupied the Americas first before they were systematically destroyed by the Europeans and later the Americans.

do yourself a favor and take some Native American history courses before you say anything more on the topic.
  • Reply 222 of 292
    I think Apple and this country and too worried about feelings rather than whAt our ancestors both white and black fought for and are still fighting for ! People just want to start stuff bc their bored! It's okay God will come back and punish the ones who are doing all the wrong ! And especially the ones who take God out the country !
  • Reply 223 of 292
    There will always be race war ! Always ! No matter what flags we have flying or what games we have ?!!! It's always been and always will be!
  • Reply 224 of 292
    People need to worry about what their kids are playing bloody violent games and gambling games rather than games that tech history ! No wonder your kids are going to jail
  • Reply 225 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    freediverx wrote: »
    One can make valid points on both sides of that issue, but unless you're black you have no say in the matter. Go back to whistling Dixie and you won't have to hear it.

I can't intellectually agree with you on this. there is only one race -- science has proven this. our color and is modified by UV and altitude, but we're all the same species. thus, to say only one segment can talk about using the word nigger is absurd. humans are humans.
  • Reply 226 of 292
    syrransyrran Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

The main thing it's missing is single payer. That is the only thing that will bring down costs while guaranteeing everyone healthcare.

Does single payer mean no more health insurance companies? The only entity we would deal with would be the single entity that administers our billing?

• Reply 227 of 292
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrran View Post

Does single payer mean no more health insurance companies? The only entity we would deal with would be the single entity that administers our billing?

There's no legal or constitutional leeway for the Federal government to administer or interfere in this matter. It's a matter for the states.

• Reply 228 of 292
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

There's no legal or constitutional leeway for the Federal government to administer or interfere in this matter. It's a matter for the states.

What about other federal systems, like the FDA, FAA, FCC, and DOT, to name but a few? Should that also be up to each state because it's not specifically stated in the Constitution? And let's remember that each state does operate its own healthcare system. Here's the one for California…
  • Reply 229 of 292
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

What about other federal systems, like the FDA, FAA, FCC, and DOT, to name but a few? Should that also be up to each state because it's not specifically stated in the Constitution? And let's remember that each state does operate its own healthcare system. Here's the one for California…

There is no allowance for the FDA, FAA, FCC, etc. either and they aren't needed. They're all examples of overreach unless they are in the Constitution.

Yep, in the case of California, the people there wanted it and they got it. I happen to disagree with it and my own rates were dramatically affected until I enrolled in an HSA (I believe people new to health insurance won't be able to get HSA's, by the way, but I haven't researched the matter further). 

• Reply 230 of 292
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    There is no allowance for the FDA, FAA, FCC, etc. either and they aren't needed. They're all examples of overreach unless they are in the Constitution.

1) The Constitution isn't a Prego spaghetti sauce so not everything is going to be in there.

2) So you disagree with the Amendments to the Constitution since they weren't originally in there or would you simply like these government bodies that have made civilization better to simply be added to it?
  • Reply 231 of 292
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    I believe that Apple should've kept out of this one. I agree with the question "who decides what is offensive?" What happened is a tragedy, but responding to it just gives it more attention, and feeds those that have the opposite views of the majority.
  • Reply 232 of 292
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Is it ever enough for you people? Ever? You have destroyed this country beyond recognition. There is no recovery here.

When does it end? When we're in concentration camps? Gas chambers?

Dramatic much? 

I gotta say, it's really fun to watch Apple troll a bunch of their fans with moves like this and the LGBT support.

I think it's silly for Apple to go after Confederate flags in apps. They still have the flag on album covers in iTunes. I don't think the flag should be flown, but buried within art, it should be left alone.

This policy is worth it though, if for no other reason than to watch the freakout.

• Reply 233 of 292
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The ACA is an unholy alliance with insurance companies. The majority of the population gets sacked and stuck with the bills to pay coverage for a small slice of the population, which could've theoretically been covered 100% by cutting back on military spending instead.

Would your party have voted for that?

• Reply 234 of 292
    nolamacguy wrote: »

native Americans didn't write down their laws. but they occupied the Americas first before they were systematically destroyed by the Europeans and later the Americans.

do yourself a favor and take some Native American history courses before you say anything more on the topic.

When the conversation reaches the level of "take a course in it", it has descended to a level of irredeemable inanity from which it cannot reemerge.

All I can say is, the politics of identity has plumbed new depths of stupidity. This thread is Exhibit A. Reasonableness is not an option.

I weep for what lies ahead.
  • Reply 235 of 292
    Quote:

Universal healthcare doesn't work if you only pay for you own healthcare. The costs must be distributed across the entire population. In the long run, everyone benefits, with the possible exception of stingy, wealthy people who can easily afford to pay for their own healthcare out of pocket.

The main takeaway is that the ACA was too accommodating to the right wing, hence the irony that the right wing is attacking it. The ACA was basically a Republican strategy - nearly identical to one implemented by Romney in his state. Obama pushed it because his main priority was establishing universal healthcare and he figured Republicans would overwhelmingly approve. But as we well know, the GOP's single objective over the last six years has been to oppose anything and everything Obama wanted, even if it were in their party's interest.

Military cuts would've been great, except it never would have passed and we still wouldn't have national healthcare - the only developed country with that dubious distinction.

Romney =/= "right wing". Romney is a progressive. There are progressive Republicans galore but they're not conservatives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) The Constitution isn't a Prego spaghetti sauce so not everything is going to be in there.

2) So you disagree with the Amendments to the Constitution since they weren't originally in there or would you simply like these government bodies that have made civilization better to simply be added to it?

Amendments are allowed, they're fine. But the Tenth Amendment specifically states if it's not enumerated in the Constitution, it's reserved for the states or the people.

• Reply 236 of 292
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why don't you go over to Are Technica. You'll find many of the same comments that have been posted here. Are those posters over reacting too?

Funny how you assume you are one of those people. Don't look around you Henny Penney, the sky is falling.

• Reply 237 of 292
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Romney =/= "right wing". Romney is a progressive. There are progressive Republicans galore but they're not conservatives.

Amendments are allowed, they're fine. But the Tenth Amendment specifically states if it's not enumerated in the Constitution, it's reserved for the states or the people.

Who are the people (in a government of the people) and why do you always assume that somehow state governments are any less corrupt than the federal government? Is it that you just like corruption better when it is done at the local level?

• Reply 238 of 292
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member
    Quote:

I strongly disagree with Obama on a couple of issues:

1) Continuing support of unbridled government surveillance & crackdown on whistleblowers

2) Lack of accountability for Wall Street crooks

On the plus side?

FCC passed Net Neutrality

Passed Health Care Reform

Passed the Stimulus

Passed Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform

Ended the War in Iraq

Began Drawdown of War in Afghanistan

Eliminated Osama bin laden

ned Around U.S. Auto Industry

Recapitalized Banks

Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”

Toppled Moammar Gaddafi

Told Mubarak to Go

Reversed Bush Torture Policies

Kicked Banks Out of Federal Student Loan Program, Expanded Pell Grant Spendi

Boosted Fuel Efficiency Standards

Coordinated International Response to Financial Crisis

Increased Support for Veterans

Tightened Sanctions on Iran

Created Conditions to Begin Closing Dirtiest Power Plants

Passed Credit Card Reforms

Eliminated Catch-22 in Pay Equality Laws

Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court

Improved Food Safety System

Achieved New START Treaty

Expanded National Service

Expanded Wilderness and Watershed Protection

Gave the FDA Power to Regulate Tobacco

Passed Fair Sentencing Act

Trimmed and Reoriented Missile Defense

Began Post-Post-9/11 Military Build down

Invested Heavily in Renewable Technology

Cracked Down on Bad For-Profit Colleges

Expanded Hate Crimes Protection

Pushed Broadband Coverage

Expanded Health Coverage for Children

Expanded Stem Cell Research

Killed the F-22

And most of these you listed do one or more of the following:

1) Increase governmental control while decreasing citizen's freedoms

2) Place additional cost/burden on the middle class

3) Increased the U.S. debt

4) Weaken the U.S. military

5) Strengthen radical Islamic groups while diminishing democracy

6) Increased abortions

7) Made it more difficult for small to medium sized businesses to survive

Obama should be tried and hung for treason – not praised in any way, shape, or form.

• Reply 239 of 292
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Good luck with that Apple. I think I'll be spending money elsewhere. Thank goodness for local bookstores and music shops. I don't see the need to cough up money for Apple Music either.
    So what. If Apple cared they wouldnt have removed it. Maybe Apple isnt as greedy as everyone thought. What did you think Apple meant when they said in their TOS that reasonably objectionable content in apps would not be tolerated?

You getting angry Apple refuses to allow confederate flags in games says more about you than Apple. I personally could be on both sides of the issue but I just dont think its unreasonable. If Apple got rid of books with flag images or civil war history then I might have a problem with it. The glorification of the largest and most successful attack on the US government in its history is nothing to make light of or gamify. Any true patriot of the US should be offended by that flag in games.
  • Reply 240 of 292
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Its covered in the commerce clause and by default everyone is in the healthcare market place. Sorry. If you run a business congress can regulate it.