Apple highlights LGBT content with special curated App Store section

Comments

• Reply 41 of 183
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

LGBT apps are being featured because June is Pride month, with events in NYC, SF, LA and many other cities. It happens every year.

The "idiot shooter" with Apartheid-Fox News-KKK/Confederacy-extremist Christian leanings has nothing to do with it. 

Also, if there were, say, a resurgence of neo-nazi violence cheered on by people waving Swastikas while also claiming that, say, a rash of Nazi murders targeting Jews were really just an attack on "people of faith" (not Jews!!!) by "troubled" lone wolves with mental health problems, then it would be reasonable for corporations to examine if they were selling anything that might be construed as supporting Nazi hate groups and distance themselves from it as quickly as possible. 

Many people, including people who grew up in the South, might not associate the Confederate battle flag with anything other than Southern culture and the Dukes of Hazard. However, when you have a shocking hate crime involving mass murder, and it is associated with a symbol that, upon further study, is really the flag of a treasonous rebellion that fought to establish apartheid and slavery, and then was waved in contempt for the federal government enforcing an end to segregation and establishing civil rights for all races, and continues to be embraced by white supremacists who despise blacks, you have some garbage you need to dispose of from the App Store. 

While this doesn't have any direct connection to GLBT rights, the fact that you think it does shows that there remains a very strong link between the Southern Strategy of the Republican Party and White Supremacists, hatred of gays, anti-science charlatans, and traitorous government separatists of various stripes.

I think Republicans just lost the election. Look at all these clueless candidates screaming from their pulpits that racism doesn't exist, and that Obama created racial tensions because he is half black, and that the confederate flag should be flapping above government buildings, and that gays should be rounded up and killed, and vilifying health care. Absolutely no clue in their minds. And they want to run the country! What a joke. This is a despicable layer of filth that you should be distancing yourself from, not smearing in your mouth and spitting at people. 

Dude, you "Godwinned" yourself.

• Reply 42 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

You also seem to think Christians aren't being discriminated against these days, either in the USA or globally.

Just watch the news for crying out loud. Between having laws made by gay activists that call Christian theology teaching Gods plan for marriage hate speech,

What you say doesn't even begin to make sense. Quote the specific law you're referring to, or STFU.

• Reply 43 of 183
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Sorry, someone will have to explain to me how celebrating the progress the LGBT community has made recently is "political." Is a St.Patrick's Day collection (pretending to celebrate a rather weird version of Irish culture) "political?" How about Father's Day, is that "political?" They recently had a collection of apps for VoiceOver users -- clearly a "political" sop to the disabled "special interests."

Call me when Apple has a collection of apps celebrating the white billionaires who buy elections that you're NOT outraged about, msantii. Then I will explain to you what "political" means.
  • Reply 44 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Only thing is there's nowhere else to go. Google and every other tech company are just as bad with this political BS.

It's only political BS to bigots.  Apple should have done this years ago.

As a straight male, this doesn't bother me at all.  

• Reply 45 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chasm View Post

Sorry, someone will have to explain to me how celebrating the progress the LGBT community has made recently is "political." Is a St.Patrick's Day collection (pretending to celebrate a rather weird version of Irish culture) "political?" How about Father's Day, is that "political?" They recently had a collection of apps for VoiceOver users -- clearly a "political" sop to the disabled "special interests."

Call me when Apple has a collection of apps celebrating the white billionaires who buy elections that you're NOT outraged about, msantii. Then I will explain to you what "political" means.

Is there an "Irish History Month"? How about a "White Pride" tab in iTunes? I dunno, pandering to all of these groups is such a slippery slope. It was kinda better when Steve didn't give a shit about what anyone said and he jealously guarded Apple like it was his baby. Treating customers like customers instead of blowing smoke up everyone's skirts to divide people into racial, sexual and political lines would be a better strategy.

• Reply 46 of 183
    Wow. Homophobes and rednecks are crawling out of the woodwork to post today.
  • Reply 47 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

Wow. Homophobes and rednecks are crawling out of the woodwork to post today.

That's certainly one way to look at it. IMO:  "Treating customers like customers instead of blowing smoke up everyone's skirts to divide people into racial, sexual and political lines would be a better strategy." The more you kowtow, the more you'll offend. Just treat people equally, then no one is special.

• Reply 48 of 183
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    The more you kowtow, the more you'll offend. Just treat people equally, then no one is special.

I'd love for that to be the model, but I doubt it will happen in our lifetime for the most prominent divisions.
  • Reply 49 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I'd love for that to be the model, but I doubt it will happen in our lifetime for the most prominent divisions.

As Apple shareholders, I think most of us would just prefer Apple would keep the focus on people ready, willing and able to spend money in their stores.

• Reply 50 of 183
    "Apple has long been involved in the promotion of LGBT rights" - since when?

I know that since Cook has been there it's headline news for Apple. The company that Jobs built is now a prime promoter of their favored social causes.

Jobs was fine with gays, and refused to discriminate against them, but he had class, and didn't use the Apple name to push his social-political agenda.
  • Reply 51 of 183
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Very nice. It's good to see Apple in 2015 with a 2015 attitude on LGBT issues.
  • Reply 52 of 183

Apple has always had a "2015 attitude" on this topic, but as I said before, Jobs was not a political reformer using Apple as his soapbox, he was a businessman, concerned about building a company and smart businesspeople stay clear of political issues for the sake of their shareholders.

• Reply 53 of 183
    "Apple has long been involved in the promotion of LGBT rights" - since when?

I know that since Cook has been there it's headline news for Apple. The company that Jobs built is now a prime promoter of their favored social causes.

Jobs was fine with gays, and refused to discriminate against them, but he had class, and didn't use the Apple name to push his social-political agenda.

Class is not common in 2015, sadly.
  • Reply 54 of 183
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Is there an "Irish History Month"? How about a "White Pride" tab in iTunes? I dunno, pandering to all of these groups is such a slippery slope. It was kinda better when Steve didn't give a shit about what anyone said and he jealously guarded Apple like it was his baby. Treating customers like customers instead of blowing smoke up everyone's skirts to divide people into racial, sexual and political lines would be a better strategy.

"White Pride" is every day of every year for the last 200 years, at least. As a white male who is VERY aware of the white privilege I've enjoyed by default, I have absolutely zero problem with periodic celebrations spotlighting the other cultures that have contributed to the US's rich heritage -- particularly from those groups that the white patriarchy has traditionally oppressed and murdered in significant numbers, such as African-Americans, American Indians, women, LGBT, and other such groups.

For the record, Apple has been supportive of LGBT equality since long before Tim Cook took over as CEO; the company fought against Proposition 8 but even years before THAT it offered equal benefits to partners of gay employees, a move seen as quite daring at the time (the 90s) and had a gay employee SIG meetup group back in 1986.

As for "treating customers like customers," that is exactly what Apple is doing. By acknowledging groups that have traditionally felt disenfranchised or less than full citizens because, oh I don't know, they aren't allowed to be married for example, Apple is acknowledging that its customers are all equal and full citizens in its eyes. Kind of like you would want them to if you were anything other than a white male. 

• Reply 55 of 183
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I agree that a private company should stay out of politics, but I disagree that a private company should ignore human rights once they get politicized.
    As I read through this thread these were my exact thoughts.
  • Reply 56 of 183
    I await the "Apps of Faith" section next month.

But I won't hold my breath.
    You could try praying?
  • Reply 57 of 183
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Thank you Apple, this makes my life a lot easier!
  • Reply 58 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm View Post

"White Pride" is every day of every year for the last 200 years, at least. As a white male who is VERY aware of the white privilege I've enjoyed by default, I have absolutely zero problem with periodic celebrations spotlighting the other cultures that have contributed to the US's rich heritage -- particularly from those groups that the white patriarchy has traditionally oppressed and murdered in significant numbers, such as African-Americans, American Indians, women, LGBT, and other such groups.

For the record, Apple has been supportive of LGBT equality since long before Tim Cook took over as CEO; the company fought against Proposition 8 but even years before THAT it offered equal benefits to partners of gay employees, a move seen as quite daring at the time (the 90s) and had a gay employee SIG meetup group back in 1986.

As for "treating customers like customers," that is exactly what Apple is doing. By acknowledging groups that have traditionally felt disenfranchised or less than full citizens because, oh I don't know, they aren't allowed to be married for example, Apple is acknowledging that its customers are all equal and full citizens in its eyes. Kind of like you would want them to if you were anything other than a white male. 

I always love this. I keep waiting for this mysterious "white privilege" to take effect. Somehow I still have to get up and go to work two jobs every day, driving an old car.

And Proposition 8 was overwhelmingly supported by voters of California.

• Reply 59 of 183
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Disappointing.

Cook taking his personal morality and forcing it to the front.

With this and censoring American history, things are getting a bit ridiculous.

You're welcome to move to Siberia. I hear it's lovely this time of year.

• Reply 60 of 183
    chasm wrote: »

Well put!