Talks with major networks for Apple streaming TV service making rapid progress - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member

Don't know, don't care about a DVR as I don't need one. So what are you going to do when you want to watch your Apple TV in another room, Transport it room to room ? Buy x amount of them for each room ? Sounds like your doing a compare of many DVR unit's so the same can be said for Apple TV as well. 100.00 ea plus sub charges. We don't know yet, and I'll bet your not going to be able to get the same programing on other Apple TV's for the price of one unit.

• Reply 42 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    yuck9 wrote: »
    Don't know, don't care about a DVR as I don't need one. So what are you going to do when you want to watch your Apple TV in another room, Transport it room to room ? Buy x amount of them for each room ? Sounds like your doing a compare of many DVR unit's so the same can be said for Apple TV as well. 100.00 ea plus sub charges. We don't know yet, and I'll bet your not going to be able to get the same programing on other Apple TV's for the price of one unit.

Yea because it's so cumbersome to carry the Apple TV to another room.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    zklauszzklausz Posts: 25member

If you have Eyetv it does work with your iOS app.  Prob be a no go with aTV as it might not have enough power to transcode the stream for iOS.  Still Apple should just buy Elgato or better yet Silicon dust and incorporate their tech into the aTV.

• Reply 44 of 67
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

legitimate?  LOL.

Sorry but Apple knows how to run their business.  

next.

Yup...now, not in the 80. Company make mistakes too, not every product is a success.

• Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuck9 View Post

If it's only for yourself, why would you want to watch what on ATV in other rooms? Why not just in the room where it's located? If it's for multiple users, then you should never ask that kind of questions since people watch different programs at a time.

• Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:

Maybe for your situation.  But for millions of others AppleTV will be a great deal.

Here is my options in Austin, TX with TimeWarner -

$39 basic TV (lowest tier with ESPN)

$25 HD-DVR boxes x 3  (on the $39 plan you cannot have whole house DVR)

Total = $115

Plus tax/BS fees = $135

That is the lowest price tier for having ESPN and 3 HD-DVR boxes.

$135 month x 5 years = $8100

Now AppleTV -

$39 skinny cable package

$200 for New AppleTV+

$79 for 2 old AppleTV's

Total =$2700

That is SIGNIFICANT savings for those who use multiple HD-DVR's.

I'd be saving close to $100 every month. Plus I'd be getting a GREAT UI unlike the POS cable company user interface straight from 1992. 

Just get Dish everything and 5-6 receivers with friends and family and share the monthly cost. Boom, cheap TV. Let say $120-$130/mo with premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Encore..) included. Most people already had satellite dish on their roof already from previous subscription or you can get one from flee market for $20. So, you end up ~$30-40/mo each and no internet is required. There, I show you how to beat TV providers' steep price lol. 

• Reply 47 of 67
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Quote:

Apple wants to make a big splash with an updated hardware and content at the same time.

Its not a poor argument.  Its the way Apple rolls.

It is how Apple makes it right in first place unlike just throw at users half hazard/ass solution and than work on fixing it to make it right later like Android zone.

• Reply 48 of 67
    lawrancelawrance Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuck9 View Post

With Charter you get basic and expanded cable for 29.99 a month. How's this going to be a better deal ? 

It won't.

Because I don't have access to Charter, whereas I WILL have access to ?TV

• Reply 49 of 67
    lawrancelawrance Posts: 86member
    Price ranges from $10-$40? LOL... Yea right! This is Apple we're talking about here. First off, it will require the new and improved Apple TV hardware, priced at $199 Per TV. Then the low end tier will start $39.99/month but won't included ESPN. That's another $6.95 please. You want the Discovery channel too? Cha-Ching. And the History channel won't even be available because of negotiations.  Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to more competition in the marketplace, but this is not going to be the budget option that all these reports claim it to be. Apple is all about the profit. 

And don't even get me started about the kind of Internet packages people are going to have to pony up for, to stream all this content. My choices are AT&T Uverse which maxes out at 45MPS (Only available with $$$ TV packages), or Comcast which offers 3Mbps for $40/month, 6Mbps for $50/month, or 2,000Mbps for $300/month. Hmmm, the first two are too slow to do anything, and the third option is completely unaffordable. Decisions, decisions... 
  • Reply 50 of 67

Sounds like a personal problem. I'm sure you have cable tv in your area as your getting internet from somewhere.

If you think getting the same channels on Apple TV is going to be cheaper then cable then think again. You may get basic at close to the 29.99 price but your going to find that wont be everything. Time will tell. I guess we wait and see.

• Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

If it's only for yourself, why would you want to watch what on ATV in other rooms? Why not just in the room where it's located? If it's for multiple users, then you should never ask that kind of questions since people watch different programs at a time.

What things you will do to try to justify the higher price. With cable I wont have that problem. Cable in any room I want. Friend just bought a new home. In every room but the bathroom it's got cable pre-wired. If someone is watching a show, get tired and wants to lay down, damm i have to unplug, transfer to another room, reconnect. LOL Have a large house ? Might be a problem getting wi-fi from one end of the house to the other. List goes on and on.

• Reply 52 of 67

1500.00 for 5 yrs of DVR ? Tivo is 300.00 plus a lifetime sub is at 350.00 

Nice try. Plus I can get a DVR from my cable company for under 10.00 a month. If I bundle services, Cable Modem,(60 down 5 up) Phone service, And internet for 99.99 a month they give you a free DVR. The DVR Is a HD DVR As well. :)

• Reply 53 of 67
    Quote:

I ain't that hard on for cash that I will do some illegal stuff.  And I'm not going to share my DVR with 3 other families/friends.  And once they get my login they can order whatever movies you want and I have to pay for it.  Hell no.

Don't give login info away. Then, done. BTW, they're your family

• Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:

AppleTV is right for a $79 device.  You just have some pipe dream of what it SHOULD BE.  Apple is not going to invest billions in resources to a $99 product.  Sorry that's not their style.

But don't worry when the new AppleTV comes out with content agrements it will kick butt.

New ATV doesn't have to be a kick ass device, just update the CPU, RAM and storage. However, OS needs to be worked on a little better. The price point? $149 is something I'm willing to pay. I don't think it's too much to ask since Apple will make a lot more money through TV subscriptions and on demand orders.

• Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:

What things you will do to try to justify the higher price. With cable I wont have that problem. Cable in any room I want. Friend just bought a new home. In every room but the bathroom it's got cable pre-wired. If someone is watching a show, get tired and wants to lay down, damm i have to unplug, transfer to another room, reconnect. LOL Have a large house ? Might be a problem getting wi-fi from one end of the house to the other. List goes on and on.

Not with Comcast now because you need a receiver from Comcast to watch the damn content. They only send signals to your cable cluster at your house, and the signal is then decoded by the receiver they give you. So, you pay $10-$12 rental fee for each box per month. Take that to every room.

• Reply 56 of 67

Comcast Sucks. Plain and Simple. LMAO. 

• Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:

Comcast Sucks. Plain and Simple. LMAO. 

Right. I got the damn TV service for free with internet as package deal. They give me local channels and HBO for $10/mo (cheaper than HBO Now, right?) with unlimited StreamPix. The good thing is: I can use Xfinity Go app and HBO Go in my iOS devices and Xbox to stream the contents. Their receiver is shit and I don't even use it. I stream everything thru Xbox Xfinity app.

So, bottom line is Comcast is smarter now by sending encrypted contents through you cables to your house, but you need their receiver to decrypt the contents.

• Reply 58 of 67
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

To compare a bit closer to "what Apple is expected to offer" (and what we see with other services like SlingTV), you have to consider digital content (HD, better picture quality).  The cable outlet in the house only gets you analog in most cases (CableCard never really took off), unless you have a digital STB from the cable company.  In general, those are still large, ugly boxes.  While you can get them discounted with bundling, not everyone does that, nor does every PayTV provider give a good deal there.

Another aspect is the service - meaning well integrated with your other devices (iPad, iPhone), and also ability to stream inside or outside the home (hopefully).  If this is the case, it is a much better service than taking a cable/sat service, then their separate app (which doesn't always have all the content).

Finally, if it comes with a network DVR or similar stored TV solution, then this is not only worth money ($$ saved on DVR rentals in most cases), but experience.  Many people forget to record all the shows they want, older units can only record a few channels at once, whole home DVR is not wide spread, etc.  So a new service like Apple "could" provide with integrated ability to either record, or have all shows available for a few days afterwards (streamable from all device types) would be very convenient.

While Sog is always over-the-top (must be his trademark, or some condition), it is true that in many cases DVR rentals cost a lot.  My cable company charges me $20/month for an HD-DVR, but only because I call up every 6 months and threaten to move do they credit the fee.  Many households won't do that.

As I have said a few times here - if you are someone who wants a large selection of channels, then clearly staying with your current PayTV provider (in a good bundle) is likely cheaper option.  Cable & Telco are offering reasonable video packages now with the triple bundle.  It is worth getting lower margins on the TV to lock in the Internet access service.  If one of the service bundles like the rumoured Apple service, SlingTV, etc + Netflix/similar is good enough, then you can save money.

• Reply 59 of 67

April 28

Apple launches the iTunes Music Store with 200,000 songs at 99¢ each, along with the new third-generation iPod that is thinner and lighter than two CDs and holds 7,500 songs

iTunes sells one million songs in its first week

So, iTunes Music Store aka iTMS was introduce in 2003, and not 2001!

• Reply 60 of 67

I guess you didn't own a Mac back in 2001, and 2002.

iTunes was a jukebox for people to rip their music CD and load into their iPod.

Apple released Windows compatible iPod in 2002, and because of the popularity, they manage to seal deals with record label and that's how it prompted them to launch iTunes Music Store in 2003.

There were no Music Store before 2003.