Rumor: Samsung to launch Galaxy 'S6 Edge+,' Note 5 on August 12

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
In a move designed to preempt Apple's anticipated "iPhone 6s" event in September, Samsung will reportedly unveil its latest Galaxy Note phablet alongside a jumbo-sized Galaxy S6 Edge on August 12.

The Galaxy Note 4.
The Galaxy Note 4.

The South Korean electronics giant is preparing a refreshed Note --?the Galaxy Note 5 --?with a metal and glass design reminiscent of a larger Galaxy S6, according to SamMobile. The popular phablet is unlikely to ship with a microSD slot, something that will no doubt cause consternation among Note fans.

Additionally, the included S Pen stylus is rumored to get a redesign of its own, taking on a more pen-like shape. Internally, included RAM will likely rise to 5 gigabytes.

The new, larger version of the Galaxy S6 Edge --?which will reportedly be marketed as the "Galaxy S6 Edge+" --?is thought to be just that, a larger version of its namesake. The publication believes the Edge+ will be powered by Samsung's own Exynos 7420 processor and ship with 3 gigabytes of RAM.

Earlier reports have suggested that Samsung plans to move up its Note 5 and S6 Edge+ announcements in order to give its new handsets time to breathe before Apple drops its own next-generation iPhone in September. Samsung has traditionally used the annual IFA show to unveil new models, but in recent years that timing has not worked in their favor as the tech press quickly shifts focus to Apple's event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55

A phone with more RAM than the base Mac Mini or MacBook Air. :err:

• Reply 2 of 55
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Samsung will reportedly unveil its latest Galaxy Note phablet alongside a jumbo-sized Galaxy S6 Edge on August 12.

So, if they sell the S6 Edge this year, does that mean next year we will see the S7 Freefall?

• Reply 3 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Horrible company. My friend recently bought a brand new Samsung phone and the waterproof cover over the USB port broke off after two days and when he brought it back to the shop for service they said it's an aesthetic fault and there's nothing they or Samsung can do for him. I couldn't believe they wouldn't help him. iPhone 6 was €150 more expensive.

Can't even come up with original naming scheme for their products. FU Samsung.

• Reply 4 of 55
    Are they seriously giving it the + moniker? Wow man.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Samsung copies everything it can from Apple...for no other reason than to create subconscious association in the minds of the average consumer. They don't give a shit about the tech **** that know one product from another. They only care about the hundreds of millions of average consumers that know nothing about them, and will inevitably make uninformed purchasing decisions.

• Reply 6 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Why not just slap an Apple logo on it and be done with it? This smacks of desperation.

• Reply 7 of 55
    Really should be the S6-
  • Reply 8 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Horrible company. My friend recently bought a brand new Samsung phone and the waterproof cover over the USB port broke off after two days and when he brought it back to the shop for service they said it's an aesthetic fault and there's nothing they or Samsung can do for him. I couldn't believe they wouldn't help him. iPhone 6 was €150 more expensive.

Can't even come up with original naming scheme for their products. FU Samsung.

Had it been an iPhone, then they could have obviously just taken it into any Apple store and the problem would have have been fixed in two minutes. People think they're saving money by getting a Samsung phone? Hopefully your friend has learned their lesson.

• Reply 9 of 55
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why not just slap an Apple logo on it and be done with it? This smacks of desperation.

They should call it S6 EdgeCliff+ cause it seams their ready to jump!!

• Reply 10 of 55

As for this rumor, Samsung just gets more pathetic and desperate for every passing day. Adding a "+" symbol to their phone is not going to magically turn it into an iPhone, sorry. 

They might be able to fool a few really ignorant and foolish customers perhaps, but there's a reason why Apple is making 92% of all profits.

• Reply 11 of 55
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Generally it seems consumers are aware of Samesung copying Apple, and from what I've seen (and through Samesung's sales nosedive) people are shunning them for their lack of originality. Fandroids of course think it's ok, however.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Granted, I don't follow Samsung, but this is the problem with so many tech companies. So many products that overlap one another and confuse buyers.

You've got Note 5, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, S6 Edge , Core, etc...
    You go on their website, and there's 11 pages of phones.
    Sony is the same with a gazillion Experia phones.

Keep it simple.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    satchmo wrote: »
    Keep it simple.

Ask HTC how keeping it simple has worked out.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If they're launching the Note early than clearly the 6 and 6 Edge must be a bust and clearly aren't taking share away from iPhone. I'm not sure how launching the Note a month early will change any of that. Once the new iPhones launch no one will be taking about the Note.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Keep it simple.

That's obviously what Apple does and what Apple always has been doing.

Samsung's philosophy is the complete opposite. It's fling as much shit as you can against the wall, and see if anything sticks. And then keep on flinging more shit against the wall. It's an unending assault of neverending shit. No way can the average consumer that's buying a Samsung phone or Samsung device keep up with all of the different models that they're continuously pumping out every five minutes.

• Reply 16 of 55
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

And then ask Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Had it been an iPhone, then they could have obviously just taken it into any Apple store and the problem would have have been fixed in two minutes. People think they're saving money by getting a Samsung phone? Hopefully your friend has learned their lesson.

This particular person won't learn their lesson. Also would be handy if there were an Apple store in my country. A European headquarters, certainly. A store? Nope.

• Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This particular person won't learn their lesson. Also would be handy if there were an Apple store in my country. A European headquarters, certainly. A store? Nope.

That's interesting. I do know that Apple has a euro HQ in Ireland, but I actually didn't know that there weren't any Apple stores yet in Ireland. I wonder why. According to Wiki, the population is almost 6.5 million. Not a huge population, but certainly enough to have at least one Apple store.

• Reply 19 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    elijahg wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »

And then ask Apple.

What works for one doesn’t work for another. Everybody always extols the virtues of making the hardware and software yet if you look at the numbers 4 out of 5 companies that have tried that either failed or are dying, a measly 20% success rate. There is no magical formula, and I wish people would stop acting like there is.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    They did that last year.