Pandora CEO says company has seen 'no impact' from Apple Music launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    If I were him, I would have held back on these comments until everyone had used up their three month trial. He may see people leaving his service once they have to choose which one to pay for.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    He's missing one key point.

Apple Music isn't designed to get people to leave their current service and change sides. It's to get the huge number of people who aren't using any streaming service to sign up and become a subscriber.

I hope to god Apple executives didn't sit down at the table and say, "We're going into this with low expectations and don't plan to compete with the existing services. Let's just aim for the people who don't care enough about music to already have an account with another service." Smh...
  • Reply 43 of 89
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Unlike Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify, etc. won't scramble my existing iTunes Library.

• Reply 44 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaDon View Post

I don't understand how people are confused about the service and how it works. It's really not that complicated and I rather everything be in one app. I hate going to several apps for several things (peoples normal iTunes complaint).

Yeah, it's a head-scratcher when you hear people claiming that they don't know how to get to their own music when the 'My Music' icon shows up immediately when you launch the app. The navigation for the entire app is right in front of your nose right off the bat: 'For You' (scroll through suggested playlists and albums based on your preferences), 'New' (scroll through recently released music by genre), 'Radio' (Beats 1 etc.), 'Connect' (artist connections), 'My Music' (scroll through your personal music library and playlists…toggle the cloud setting to see what's on board vs. what's in the cloud). That's confusing?

• Reply 45 of 89
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Sure Apple Music has its kinks, but I love it. I use it all day. I have deleted my Spotify app on my phone.
    It's the way Apple works, they release a solid product with some areas to work on and then they polish it through successive iterations to become fantastic.

What they have now is very much a work in progress and that is fine with me as I feel it does a great job. It is just streaming music after all. I think some posters here need to take a deep breath and get a grip. The sky is not falling. Maybe it is an American thing now to see a possible Biblical flood in every raincloud.....but I digress.

TL/DR: The app is fine and it will get better. Relax!
  • Reply 46 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoLeekSoup View Post

Dalrymple's lament is damning, especially with his 4700 or so tracks that he lost forever?? Apple is screwing up here, badly. This does not excite me, as a longtime shareholder.

It's looking like it's more of an issue with iTunes Cloud Library than Apple Music. One solution is to just turn off iTunes Cloud Library and restore the previous .itl file that existed prior to the update to Apple Music. That seems to be working for many people. 

• Reply 47 of 89
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foregoneconclusion View Post

It's looking like it's more of an issue with iTunes Cloud Library than Apple Music. One solution is to just turn off iTunes Cloud Library and restore the previous .itl file that existed prior to the update to Apple Music. That seems to be working for many people. 

In Dalrymple's case, he says that he failed to make a backup of all of his music before upgrading iTunes. He trusted Apple's services too much to take precautions, to his detriment.

• Reply 48 of 89
    I'm fine with the narrative that Apple Music has failed. If you can convince enough people outside the self-important tech blogger world that this is "true," then perhaps enough ordinary people will stay away, and we can make Apple Music really fail. Then we can enjoy the competition and schadenfreude together.
  • Reply 49 of 89
    "The company lost $16.1 million overall during the June quarter, but revenue was $285.6 million"
    Oh, dear...
    "Pandora is a relatively entrenched player "
    But still losing 2.86% of income in a quarter.
    No. Apple's definitely not going to walk in on this business. No sir!
  • Reply 50 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Sure Apple Music has its kinks, but I love it. I use it all day. I have deleted my Spotify app on my phone.

It's the way Apple works, they release a solid product with some areas to work on and then they polish it through successive iterations to become fantastic.

What they have now is very much a work in progress and that is fine with me as I feel it does a great job. It is just streaming music after all. I think some posters here need to take a deep breath and get a grip. The sky is not falling. Maybe it is an American thing now to see a possible Biblical flood in every raincloud.....but I digress.

TL/DR: The app is fine and it will get better. Relax!

If Apple was going to release a broken service, call it a beta. They did it for iTunes Match. The problem is they just don't seem to be able to get things right anymore.

• Reply 51 of 89
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Since Apple is giving a FREE 3 month trial people will use it and make their own informed decision instead of relying on talking heads.

Apple is basically giving us a FREE 3 month BETA. They should've warned us. Now some of us have lost their music because they unwittingly tried out an unfinished service full of nasty bugs and UX disasters.

Quote:

The pluses vastly out weight the minus. Of course there are some things that they could improve on. But to expect perfection on the intial release is ludicris.

iTunes has been around since 2003. Apple Music is a direct descendant from Beats music. These are hardly first generation products, don't you think?

• Reply 52 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That's really nice when users get blamed for Apple's ineptitude. This isn't beta software. The fact that Apple is offering a free 3 month trial doesn't excuse them from buggy software. Yeah Jim should have had a backup but no where in the signup process does remind people to make sure their library is backed up. Sure you can say everyone should know that and shouldn't need to be reminded. But you can also say that If Apple is going to release a non-beta service it should just work and Apple Music doesn't. I damn well guarantee you Dalrymple's post lit a fire under the ass of someone at Apple. We should be thankful that those who have a voice and the ear of Apple HQ are speaking out and hopefully they will ultimately help deliver a better product for us all.
  • Reply 53 of 89
    Quote:

normal people dont give a shit what some tech blogger says.

I'm being serious. These tech blogger have ZERO influence on 99.9% of the population.

I don't carry water for Apple when they do crap like this. I guarantee you there are enough of us that more than .1% are aware of it.

Apple wants to be a world-class company? They better be ready for world-class flak when they mess up. This isn't 1998 anymore.

• Reply 54 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In Dalrymple's case, he says that he failed to make a backup of all of his music before upgrading iTunes. He trusted Apple's services too much to take precautions, to his detriment.

I read the article and he's pretty short on detail in regards to the "lost" files and where they actually were. I have a hard time believing that upgrading the application actually deleted 4,700 files from his HDD. That's the same thing that some of the users on Apple's forums believed, and it turned out it was really just a bad .itl file.

• Reply 55 of 89
    Quote:

I read the article and he's pretty short on detail in regards to the "lost" files and where they actually were. I have a hard time believing that upgrading the application actually deleted 4,700 files from his HDD. That's the same thing that some of the users on Apple's forums believed, and it turned out it was really just a bad .itl file.

Ah, the good old days...

• Reply 56 of 89
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

They forgot the directive of "I should be able to get to my music in three [taps]." It's a nightmare to navigate. The biggest annoyance is the inability to easily see what's on device and what's in the cloud.

Actually, it's pretty logical to navigate. I've had zero issues, but maybe I have the special "non-nightmarish" version. Also, why does the average person need to an in their face indication of what is being played from the device or online? The entire point of Apple music is that this shouldn't matter. And if for some reason you want to only play local music (ie. you're roaming, no internet), you just tap "music" and turn on "only songs available offline" option, which hides the rest. Seems reasonable to me, instead of an extra symbol beside each song all the time, on an already busy interface, which is meaningless to most people in most cases. 

Apple Music is a new service from Apple, so obviously a fantastic opportunity to tear everything apart, in a time where Apple is more scrutinized than its ever been. However, the majority of complaints I've read are really reaching.

The only real, valid complaints I've seen are from people who have a massive and meticulously tagged library which also consists of obscure titles, and they were too stupid and short-sighted to spend a couple minutes and a couple clicks making sure they back that up, before connecting it to a cloud service that has to match everything up to an internal database, and is guaranteed to not be 100% perfect. So not much sympathy from me, for that kind of gross negligence, especially for people like Jim and other tech bloggers who spend half their time advising people to backup. 

• Reply 57 of 89
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:

I read the article and cannot fathom why he didn't back up anything, especially if you have years of playlists and lots of music files. He claims he lost 4700 files, so his library is obviously a lot larger. Buy a Time Capsule and be done with it (too late for him).

He mentions letting iTunes rebuild the library itself, but I'm not sure if he forced the rebuild. There are so many pages describing how to force a rebuild.

• Reply 58 of 89
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yep. Eddy Cue and Jeff Robbin should listen to this Don Melton podcast. Pretty brutal but it needs to be said.

And anyone at Apple unwilling or unable to comprehend how screwed up it is needs to be immediately fired or replaced.
  • Reply 59 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And anyone at Apple unwilling or unable to comprehend how screwed up it is needs to be immediately fired or replaced.

Eddy Cue needs to take accountability for it. What would go a long way? A tweet to Jim Dalrymple from Eddy saying Apple hears him and is working on fixing these problems.
  • Reply 60 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Eddy Cue needs to take accountability for it. What would go a long way? A tweet to Jim Dalrymple from Eddy saying Apple hears him and is working on fixing these problems.

What concerns me in the podcast is the mention that the backend is a mess. I'd been suspecting legacy issues were causing this, and while that's not a 100% confirmation, it's not a denial either.

OS X was given a life expectancy of twenty years. We're fifteen into it, and it's starting to show its age. It's no surprise the rest of Apple's code is as well. We'll see if they fix it or continue to patchwork it as they have been. When you consider that iTunes was built on SoundJam MP, it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't twenty-year old code in places still.