Pandora CEO says company has seen 'no impact' from Apple Music launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

All very well said. Love my iPhone, love my girlfriends new Macbook Pro, love most of Apple's hardware. Not liking Apple Music one bit. My joy for listening to music has gone down strictly because of the app.

I love just about everything Apple. When an updated iLife suite came out, I'd buy it right away and would enjoy reading about and exploring new features.

I remember when their dedicated Podcast app came out, it was different than what I was used to but it was not very good and for a time I went back to iTunes and did not use the app. Now, with their improved app I'm back using it.

I kind of feel the same way with the Apple Music app, just briefly looked at it and thought too complicated. But I may need to just use it more. Right now can't be bothered.

Best.

• Reply 62 of 89
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yep. Eddy Cue and Jeff Robbin should listen to this Don Melton podcast. Pretty brutal but it needs to be said.

I listened to it. It's sensational drivel, with very few real, specific complaints or suggestions as to how things can be improved. It's basically all "OMG MY WIFE WHO WAS IN TECH SUPPORT IS SO FUCKING CONFUSED, SO ARE ALL MY RELATIVES!  THE SEARCH HAS LIKE 2 OPTIONS OMG WHAT IS GOING ON". Seriously, took me all of 5 min to figure out everything there is to know about the app, and how things work. There's very good reasons for the decisions that have been made, the problem is people can't spend 5 seconds considering these reasons before bitching and whining. There's nothing in Apple music that makes no sense to be, or seems to be random or unconsidered. Does that make me a genius? I doubt it.

This app is aimed towards hundreds of millions of people, every single one of whom has different preferences, tastes, and music listening patterns. To expect it to be catered to YOUR niche use cases is petty and childish, and thats what I get from all these vocal tech bloggers bitching and whining. What Apple Music is doing is more ambitious than any of these other streaming services, which is merging your local library with a streaming service, in a seamless way, and making it all accessible, while at the same time letting you divide the two. 

Don't like it? Just tap that "OFF" button in settings, and go back to enjoying the music app as it was. Apple isn't forcing ANYONE to use Apple Music. 

PS- They need to say "SHIT" and "****" more in that podcast, cause you know, it just wasn't enough. It's one thing to type that, it's another to verbalize it over and over for no reason. 

• Reply 63 of 89
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

They forgot the directive of "I should be able to get to my music in three [taps]." It's a nightmare to navigate. The biggest annoyance is the inability to easily see what's on device and what's in the cloud.
    Songs on your device have a picture of a phone to the right of them.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Songs on your device have a picture of a phone to the right of them.

In the Album view, looking at each individual album, yes. Not in the Songs view, which is the default.

• Reply 65 of 89
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

What concerns me in the podcast is the mention that the backend is a mess. I'd been suspecting legacy issues were causing this, and while that's not a 100% confirmation, it's not a denial either.

OS X was given a life expectancy of twenty years. We're fifteen into it, and it's starting to show its age. It's no surprise the rest of Apple's code is as well. We'll see if they fix it or continue to patchwork it as they have been. When you consider that iTunes was built on SoundJam MP, it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't twenty-year old code in places still.

I suppose Swift is the foundation for the next transition to whatever follows.

• Reply 66 of 89
    Quote:

Eddy Cue needs to take accountability for it. What would go a long way? A tweet to Jim Dalrymple from Eddy saying Apple hears him and is working on fixing these problems.

Evidently, Dalrymple has gotten back "most" of his music.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/07/24/i-got-my-music-back-at-least-most-of-it/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_campaign=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral

Still, what happened could've happened to anyone, especially any person unfamiliar with the risks of installing new software with all of the downside and potential flaws.

• Reply 67 of 89
    slurpy wrote: »
    "Going forward, we feel really good about our trajectory and competitive position,"

When the **** has any company that Apple eventually crushed NOT said this?

Some one needs to ask him to laugh while saying the above... just for a microphone sound check, if nothing else.... We have all the other ex-CEOs on camera having a good chortle at Apple....
  • Reply 68 of 89
    I am really confused as to where all the hate is coming from. I personally am really enjoying it and love its simplicity. I'm still confused how others are finding it complicated. As someone else mentioned, why would you keep 3 different music apps when this one can do them all? I was just with another couple talking to them about apple music and he was showing me what he uses. Tunein for radio, something else for playlists, and another for keeping songs on his phone. I just thought about, why would you want to use all those when this does the job quite well, during his description. (Which is probably why I don't quite remember the apps he uses) I have no issue paying for this streaming music service and knowing apple, it will keep getting better.
  • Reply 69 of 89
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Ah, the good old days...

Needs context. Was this the MobileMe introduction, or just after that iTunes update that wiped all external drives with a space in their volume name?

• Reply 70 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    spheric wrote: »

Needs context. Was this the MobileMe introduction, or just after that iTunes update that wiped all external drives with a space in their volume name?

I believe that was WWDC 2011 when iCloud was announced.
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Oh and for anyone slagging off Jim Dalrymple...he posted that he just got back from Apple HQ where he met with Apple to discuss his issues. Clearly his post got people's attention in Cupertino. And he got most of his 'lost' music back. The bad thing for Apple is he still doesn't sound very happy and doesn't say he's planning to stick with Apple Music. If Apple is aware of these issues and is working on fixing them some communication would be nice. Eddy Cue could easily put up a tweet saying that Apple is aware of issues and is working hard to fix them. A tweet like that would instantly go viral. It would be nice for people to know its not just the famous who get Apple's attention. 99.9% of Apple's customers don't have connections and can't just fly to Apple HQ to get their issues resolved.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/07/24/i-got-my-music-back-at-least-most-of-it/

EDIT: oops didn't see SpamSandwich's previous post.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    slurpy wrote: »
    I listened to it. It's sensational drivel, with very few real, specific complaints or suggestions as to how things can be improved. It's basically all "OMG MY WIFE WHO WAS IN TECH SUPPORT IS SO FUCKING CONFUSED, SO ARE ALL MY RELATIVES!  THE SEARCH HAS LIKE 2 OPTIONS OMG WHAT IS GOING ON". Seriously, took me all of 5 min to figure out everything there is to know about the app, and how things work. There's very good reasons for the decisions that have been made, the problem is people can't spend 5 seconds considering these reasons before bitching and whining. There's nothing in Apple music that makes no sense to be, or seems to be random or unconsidered. Does that make me a genius? I doubt it.

This app is aimed towards hundreds of millions of people, every single one of whom has different preferences, tastes, and music listening patterns. To expect it to be catered to YOUR niche use cases is petty and childish, and thats what I get from all these vocal tech bloggers bitching and whining. What Apple Music is doing is more ambitious than any of these other streaming services, which is merging your local library with a streaming service, in a seamless way, and making it all accessible, while at the same time letting you divide the two. 

Don't like it? Just tap that "OFF" button in settings, and go back to enjoying the music app as it was. Apple isn't forcing ANYONE to use Apple Music. 

PS- They need to say "SHIT" and "****" more in that podcast, cause you know, it just wasn't enough. It's one thing to type that, it's another to verbalize it over and over for no reason. 

Ok I don't typically respond to your over the top posts (talk about sensationalist!) but Don Melton actually worked at Apple. He was a director, responsible for Safari. He reported to Scott Forstall and many a time was in meetings with Steve Jobs. To call what he said "sensationalist drivel" is ridiculous IMO. These are real issues people are having, not niche edge cases. And a lot of this is just the basics that Apple should have extensively tested prior to launching Apple Music. If Apple cares so much about music and it's in their f*cking DNA then they should care about serious music fans that have large libraries of purchases iTunes music.

The fact that Serenity Caldwell basically created an Apple Music FAQ from scratch because Apple doesn't really have anything is nuts. Apple has this fantastic online how to guide for the Watch. They created specific how to videos to show people ther basics of how to use it. Where is the same for Apple Music? Where is the documentation on how For You works, what's all included in New, what happens when you heart a song, how do you create and share playlists, what's the difference between iTunes Mach and iCloud Music Library, how does family sharing work, etc. Of course one could argue if Apple needs to explain all this that means Apple Music is too confusing and needs to be simplified. They would be right. But it is what it is right now and clearing up some of the confusion would be nice.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Quote:

I believe that was WWDC 2011 when iCloud was announced.

Yeah…finally fixing what had been a complete disaster and caused many people untold grief and data loss.

The Good Old Days™. 

Point being, nostalgia is bunk. Apple is no worse or better than they've ever been. They're great, for the most part, and sometimes, they **** up, even badly on occasion.

It was arguably a lot worse in the 1990s, when the hardware was a total mess, and mostly had only the software going for it.

• Reply 74 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Evidently, Dalrymple has gotten back "most" of his music.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/07/24/i-got-my-music-back-at-least-most-of-it/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_campaign=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral

Still, what happened could've happened to anyone, especially any person unfamiliar with the risks of installing new software with all of the downside and potential flaws.

Yeah, and it was likely a very simple fix like restoring the prior .itl file. He never "lost" anything. I can understand that a corrupted library file after an update could be alarming to anyone initially, but it's kind of odd that an experienced tech writer would freak out that much.

• Reply 75 of 89
    Quote:

Where is the documentation on how For You works, what's all included in New, what happens when you heart a song, how do you create and share playlists, what's the difference between iTunes Mach and iCloud Music Library, how does family sharing work, etc. Of course one could argue if Apple needs to explain all this that means Apple Music is too confusing and needs to be simplified. They would be right. But it is what it is right now and clearing up some of the confusion would be nice.

iTunes Match: makes non-iTunes music files available through the cloud.

iCloud Music Library: makes iTunes music purchases not copied to your device available through the cloud.

Apple Music: makes iTunes content that you never purchased available through the cloud.

It's not really that confusing.

• Reply 76 of 89
    Yeah, and it was likely a very simple fix like restoring the prior .itl file. He never "lost" anything. I can understand that a corrupted library file after an update could be alarming to anyone initially, but it's kind of odd that an experienced tech writer would freak out that much.

Except we don't know that's what it was. Jim didn't say that's what it was.
  • Reply 77 of 89
    iTunes Match: makes non-iTunes music files available through the cloud.

iCloud Music Library: makes iTunes music purchases not copied to your device available through the cloud.

Apple Music: makes iTunes content that you never purchased available through the cloud.

It's not really that confusing.

Well it obviously is confusing to enough people hence why iMore and Macworld have written FAQ's on his all this works. http://www.macworld.com/article/2943703/how-itunes-match-and-apple-music-work-together.html

Jony Ive has talked about when he first experienced the Mac and how wonderful it was because previously he thought he was the problem not the product. The Mac showed him that it wasn't him but the crappy products he was forced to use. I find it unfortunate that with Apple Music so many are basically saying the users are the problem not the service or the app. Especially when there are real issues that Apple is working to address.
  • Reply 78 of 89
    sog35 wrote: »
    You are like one of those 50 year old men who always brag about how awesome a quarterback he was in high school.

Stop living in the past. If you dont like what Apple has become go ahead and switch to Android.

I mean seriously. A dude with 30,000 songs does not back up his files when converting to a whole new software? Are you serious! Only an idiot would not back up such a massive collection.

Even Don Melton thinks Apple Music is a complete Hindenberg disaster. Do not fool yourself into thinking it is anything less than beta-level software at this point.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Well it obviously is confusing to enough people hence why iMore and Macworld have written FAQ's on his all this works. http://www.macworld.com/article/2943703/how-itunes-match-and-apple-music-work-together.html

That's what Macworld does and has done since its' inception. Macworld has always had this sort of thing for most Apple hardware and services. Have you ever subscribed to the magazine?

• Reply 80 of 89
    Quote:

Jony Ive has talked about when he first experienced the Mac and how wonderful it was because previously he thought he was the problem not the product. The Mac showed him that it wasn't him but the crappy products he was forced to use. I find it unfortunate that with Apple Music so many are basically saying the users are the problem not the service or the app. Especially when there are real issues that Apple is working to address.

Just because they write an article based on the premise that it's confusing doesn't actually mean that it is.

You can have cloud access to your iTunes purchases (free). You can have cloud access to music files on your HDD that weren't purchased through iTunes (annual fee). You can have cloud access to any song/album on iTunes regardless of purchasing it or not (monthly subscription). That's all there is to understand.