Apple Watch supplier misses 2M unit break-even point for Q2, FUD flinging ensues

Comments

• Reply 281 of 301
    robbyx wrote: »
    Why? Because I have an opinion that isn't raving fanboy? Considering I've been buying Apple (and NeXT) products for over 30 years, make my living on Macs, have switched several companies to Macs over the years, and have never owned a PC...I hardly think I'm a troll. I'm willing to bet I've contributed more to Apple's bottom line than 90%+ of the people posting here. But heaven forbid I have a difference of opinion about something!

No. But I am curious how you reconcile your claims of loyalty to Apple while criticizing others for exactly the same reason. What mental gymnastics do you perform to hold this cognitive dissonance together?

In any case, you're wrong about that because nobody cares who you claim to be, or how much loyalty you anonymously claim to have for Apple. The only thing that matters is what you post. And I've read your posts. You are repeating Ben Frostian troll memes about Apple Watch being a failure, and accusing others of blind loyalty to Apple for disagreeing with you (a variation of the classic "iSheep" meme). Even Frost tried to argue that he wasn't a troll by claiming to have lots of Apple gear. Just stop doing what he did, if you don't like to being compared to him.
  • Reply 282 of 301
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

What's your problem? No one can have an opinion that contradicts yours? I guess you have a crystal ball? Or maybe you're just dumb as rocks and think you can see into the future? None of that has happened. We're talking about the market today. Not your Christmas fantasy.

Oh, I'm sorry. 

I was talking about the iPhone release 2007. I thought that was clear.

You mean you weren't?

Mea culpa!

• Reply 283 of 301
    Quote:

What does the number of people in the world have to do with the number of iPhones sold? Anyone? That's right! NOTHING! I know you think you're smart...

Now what does the number of iPhones sold have to do with the number of watches sold? A lot. Considering you need an iPhone to use the watch. So that's your potential market.

Nothing patronizing about it.

The number of people in the world are the potential market for iPhone. 

The number of people using iPhones 5 and up are the potential market for Apple Watch. 

It's not that big a logical leap to make, even for somebody our age. ;)

• Reply 284 of 301
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    spheric wrote: »

Oh, I'm sorry. 

I was talking about the iPhone release 2007. I thought that was clear.

You mean you weren't?

Mea culpa!

No. It wasn't clear to me. I read that as your prediction for the future, not iPhone history. My apologies. That said, there's no indication that it will happen again with the watch. Adding 3G and dropping the price really got iPhone sales moving. Maybe the next watch will find the right mix of tech and price point to move beyond niche accessory.
  • Reply 285 of 301

The number of people using iPhones 5 and up are the potential market for Apple Watch. 

It's not that big a logical leap to make, even for somebody our age. ;)

The only thing patronizing is thinking the 4+ billion people whose net worth is a few hundred dollars and live on pennies a day are potential iPhone buyers.
  • Reply 286 of 301
    The only thing patronizing is thinking the 4+ billion people whose net worth is a few hundred dollars and live on pennies a day are potential iPhone buyers.
  • Reply 287 of 301
    No. But I am curious how you reconcile your claims of loyalty to Apple while criticizing others for exactly the same reason. What mental gymnastics do you perform to hold this cognitive dissonance together?

In any case, you're wrong about that because nobody cares who you claim to be, or how much loyalty you anonymously claim to have for Apple. The only thing that matters is what you post. And I've read your posts. You are repeating Ben Frostian troll memes about Apple Watch being a failure, and accusing others of blind loyalty to Apple for disagreeing with you (a variation of the classic "iSheep" meme). Even Frost tried to argue that he wasn't a troll by claiming to have lots of Apple gear. Just stop doing what he did, if you don't like to being compared to him.

I don't criticize loyalty. I love loyalty. I've made a lot of money over the years thanks to Apple and Apple fans. What I criticize are jerk fanboys who can't accept other opinions. No cognitive dissonance at work. One can be a fan of the company and the tech and not think every product is a great idea. Pretty ridiculous that you can't grasp that concept.
  • Reply 288 of 301
    Quote:

No. It wasn't clear to me. I read that as your prediction for the future, not iPhone history. My apologies. That said, there's no indication that it will happen again with the watch. Adding 3G and dropping the price really got iPhone sales moving. Maybe the next watch will find the right mix of tech and price point to move beyond niche accessory.

Okay, now THAT was unfair of me, and I feel a little bad that you fell for it: Of course I was talking about the Apple Watch. 

This reply was tongue firmly in cheek to make a point — and apparently, it actually worked. And it took the tone down a notch, which I'm grateful for. This place brings out a particular tendency to abusive tone and wanton belligerence that I find quite annoying. I do partake in the odd snark, but really, can't we all just argue rather than fight

Aaaanyway….. 

You are, of course, absolutely right that we have no way of knowing whether the Apple Watch will follow a similar pattern.

Tim Cook's explicit statement, however, implies that it already is — at least for the first 90 days, with sales INcreasing over time, rather than decreasing. 

Also, there were plenty of detractors when the iPhone was released who said the same thing, not to mention the HUGE skepticism when iPad dropped. 

But you know, looking back, it seems to me like Apple generally tend to have a pretty good idea of what they're doing.

And OF COURSE it's unrealistic to claim 7 billion as actual target market. (One might want to subtract kids as well, btw.) 

So often, people get stuck on details (often not realizing that hyperbole is a valid strategy) that they completely miss the point of the argument. 

And the thread derails into a meaningless sideshow of pathetic fighting over meaningless details (this one's bound to devolve into pointless finger-pointing about condescension and first-world elitism, or like that logarithmic scale argument over in the Samsung sales thread — there was SO MUCH interesting info to be gleaned from that graphic, but when the bickering started, I went "**** it" and left the thread). And then somebody's won…something. Or not. 

• Reply 289 of 301

Okay, now THAT was unfair of me, and I feel a little bad that you fell for it: Of course I was talking about the Apple Watch. 

This reply was tongue firmly in cheek to make a point — and apparently, it actually worked. And it took the tone down a notch, which I'm grateful for. This place brings out a particular tendency to abusive tone and wanton belligerence that I find quite annoying. I do partake in the odd snark, but really, can't we all just argue rather than fight

Aaaanyway….. 

You are, of course, absolutely right that we have no way of knowing whether the Apple Watch will follow a similar pattern.

Tim Cook's explicit statement, however, implies that it already is — at least for the first 90 days, with sales INcreasing over time, rather than decreasing. 

Also, there were plenty of detractors when the iPhone was released who said the same thing, not to mention the HUGE skepticism when iPad dropped. 

But you know, looking back, it seems to me like Apple generally tend to have a pretty good idea of what they're doing.

And OF COURSE it's unrealistic to claim 7 billion as actual target market. (One might want to subtract kids as well, btw.) 
    So often, people get stuck on details (often not realizing that hyperbole is a valid strategy) that they completely miss the point of the argument. 

And the thread derails into a meaningless sideshow of pathetic fighting over meaningless details (like that logarithmic scale argument over in the Samsung sales thread — there was SO MUCH interesting info to be gleaned from that graphic, but when the bickering started, I went "**** it" and left the thread). And then somebody's won…something. Or not. 

Of course I fell for it. I mean people on this forum are shockingly rude and mean spirited in general. You said you were talking about the iPhone. If I disagree and say that wasn't obvious, it's just more insults. So I took you at your word and apologized for misreading your post. Which I guess I didn't misread. But you get a laugh. Or whatever gets you off.
  • Reply 290 of 301
    Quote:

Of course I fell for it. I mean people on this forum are shockingly rude and mean spirited in general. You said you were talking about the iPhone. If I disagree and say that wasn't obvious, it's just more insults. So I took you at your word and apologized for misreading your post. Which I guess I didn't misread. But you get a laugh. Or whatever gets you off.

Actually, you may have noted that I didn't. I'm sorry. Let's just tone it down a notch.

I wrote some more stuff in the post you just quoted. 

• Reply 291 of 301
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

But it's far too early to tell and right now the Watch feels like a product in need of a purpose to me. The diehards have gotten theirs and there doesn't seem to be a lot of general enthusiasm for the product (in the real world, not fan forums...). It's obvious why anyone would want and need a smart phone in today's world. And Apple makes the best. It is not obvious why you would want a smart watch.

My feeling is the ?Watch is the beginning of something else entirely. And a watch is the best way to express it. From various interviews I've read, it appears that Jony Ive pushed hard for this product and had to convince Apple to do it. That said, I don't think he was wrong. And Apple has seemingly given us an indication that the watch is a work in progress by lumping it into the same category as the Apple TV. In other words, they're not expecting to sell watches at the same volume they sell iPhones and iPads. And again there's nothing wrong with that.

I personally see a lot of ways that I can use the watch. Most of them have nothing to do with this obsession with notifications that most people seem to justify the watch for. And I'm likely going to buy a Sport watch to use for surfing so I have ?Pay, and a few other features, after some favorable reports from some surfers who have been wearing it regularly during sessions. I've been looking for compatible door locks too. Also, it appears that Apple is expanding the stand-alone features in wOS2, so that's going to expand its usefulness to many. But just like every new product, an ecosystem needs to be build around it, and it needs to define itself. I think that will happen as it stands on its own. I believe the iPad did that when the requirement for a PC running iTunes was dropped. And again, I look at the ?TV as a model. Either the technology or the content deals or whatever have not fallen into place to really catapult that device into a major product, so it too languishes as an accessory to AirPlay capable products. But that's going to change. So too will it for the Apple watch. As usual, expectations for Apple are much higher than for any other company, and that's likely why even Apple made such a big deal about a product that too may just be a hobby at the moment -- and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

• Reply 292 of 301
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    What does the number of people in the world have to do with the number of iPhones sold? Anyone? That's right! NOTHING! I know you think you're smart...

Now what does the number of iPhones sold have to do with the number of watches sold? A lot. Considering you need an iPhone to use the watch. So that's your potential market.

iPhone need people to buy them. Apple watch needs iPhone buyers. No one needs an iPhone or an apple watch.
  • Reply 293 of 301
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

No it's not. The majority of the people in the world cannot afford an iPhone, and many others have zero use for it.
  • Reply 294 of 301
    Read on. Already been addressed.
  • Reply 295 of 301
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    No one needs a phone, we can all go back to smoke signals.... but each of these devices have potential to help us.  There are people that say ... if it only sells 10 - 20 million a year then it is a failure -- because it will not substantively affect the bottom line.  The truth is that only a fraction of iPhone buyers will buy a watch -- and there are others that will buy an iPhone because they want the watch.  It is not about 1 item.  If you want a watch you have to have an iPhone, if you want to use Apple pay you have an iPhone -- the iPhone is the center of a vast ecosystem and with only one thing in common..... the iPhone will be part of each of the solutions... Someone might get an iPhone and a watch, someone else a different combination.... It will help iPhone sales.  The watch will be profitable on its own, but it will drive other sales that will also be profitable - but that profit will be attributed to the iPhone etc.  Maybe I am simple but not every product a company manufactures is going to drive the revenue that the iPhone does, but on the hole each part adds a net plus to the bottom line....  and that in the end I call a success.   And no not everyone can afford the iPhone, but it is definitely the product that people actually want.  I just have to walk around Bangkok and the iPhone is everywhere..... and those that cannot afford it.... as soon as they get the money.... the get what they desire... an iPhone.  
  • Reply 296 of 301
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    [CONTENTEMBED=/t/187447/apple-watch-supplier-misses-2m-unit-break-even-point-for-q2-fud-flinging-ensues/280#post_2757186 layout=inline]No one needs a phone, we can all go back to smoke signals.... but each of these devices have potential to help us.  There are people that say ... if it only sells 10 - 20 million a year then it is a failure -- because it will not substantively affect the bottom line.  The truth is that only a fraction of iPhone buyers will buy a watch -- and there are others that will buy an iPhone because they want the watch.  It is not about 1 item.  If you want a watch you have to have an iPhone, if you want to use Apple pay you have an iPhone -- the iPhone is the center of a vast ecosystem and with only one thing in common..... the iPhone will be part of each of the solutions... Someone might get an iPhone and a watch, someone else a different combination.... It will help iPhone sales.  The watch will be profitable on its own, but it will drive other sales that will also be profitable - but that profit will be attributed to the iPhone etc.  Maybe I am simple but not every product a company manufactures is going to drive the revenue that the iPhone does, but on the hole each part adds a net plus to the bottom line....  and that in the end I call a success.   And no not everyone can afford the iPhone, but it is definitely the product that people actually want.  I just have to walk around Bangkok and the iPhone is everywhere..... and those that cannot afford it.... as soon as they get the money.... the get what they desire... an iPhone.  [/CONTENTEMBED]

I disagree. I believe that the Apple Watch was meant for a large amount of iPhone owners to buy which is why Apple
  • Reply 297 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

We have an analyst in our midst! Yea!!

No, just a successful investor and longtime customer.  You got me, that was inflammatory.  But I stand by my assessment that there's no proof the Watch is a "hit".  I think there's a niche market for it and I think that market has a fanatical fringe, frequently on display here.  But until Apple releases sales numbers, everything is conjecture.  We have people spinning numbers in each direction.  I don't really believe any of them.

What I do believe is what I see and know.  I would say that 90% of my peer group are iPhone users.  One person bought the Watch.  I have friends and business contacts in various places, urban, rural, etc. and no one is particularly interested in the product.  Beyond that personal sampling, I don't sense any measurable enthusiasm for the Watch out in the wild.  There was so much hype leading up to it, but there's really no buzz now.

I also think, when it finally arrived, there was a sense of disappointment because it didn't really bring anything new to the table.  I remember a few people on here, maybe you were one of them?, swearing up and down before the Watch was released that it would contain other secret features that would set it apart from everything else.  I maintained that it would not, that it would be exactly what we were led to believe it would be: a remote iPhone screen.  So it arrived.  Nothing unexpected.  The fans bought it.  The general public didn't catch Apple Watch fever the way they caught iPhone fever.  And here we are.  Until Apple releases numbers, we're all just guessing.

That said, I've never said the product is bad.  In fact, I'm sure you can find many posts where I've said things to the effect of "the technology is really impressive" and I mean that.  It is.  It's a mini computer and all of that engineering is pretty awesome.  I just don't care for the product, nor do I see a need for it in my life.

• Reply 298 of 301
    No, just a successful investor and longtime customer.  You got me, that was inflammatory.  But I stand by my assessment that there's no proof the Watch is a "hit".  I think there's a niche market for it and I think that market has a fanatical fringe, frequently on display here.  But until Apple releases sales numbers, everything is conjecture.  We have people spinning numbers in each direction.  I don't really believe any of them.

What I do believe is what I see and know.  I would say that 90% of my peer group are iPhone users.  One person bought the Watch.  I have friends and business contacts in various places, urban, rural, etc. and no one is particularly interested in the product.  Beyond that personal sampling, I don't sense any measurable enthusiasm for the Watch out in the wild.  There was so much hype leading up to it, but there's really no buzz now.

I also think, when it finally arrived, there was a sense of disappointment because it didn't really bring anything new to the table.  I remember a few people on here, maybe you were one of them?, swearing up and down before the Watch was released that it would contain other secret features that would set it apart from everything else.  I maintained that it would not, that it would be exactly what we were led to believe it would be: a remote iPhone screen.  So it arrived.  Nothing unexpected.  The fans bought it.  The general public didn't catch Apple Watch fever the way they caught iPhone fever.  And here we are.  Until Apple releases numbers, we're all just guessing.

That said, I've never said the product is bad.  In fact, I'm sure you can find many posts where I've said things to the effect of "the technology is really impressive" and I mean that.  It is.  It's a mini computer and all of that engineering is pretty awesome.  I just don't care for the product, nor do I see a need for it in my life.

I, too, have a high concentration of iPhone users, and maybe two or three people have the watch.

You can't compare the Apple Watch to the iPhone at this point. iPhone fever, as you call it, really didn't start until the 3GS, and really took off with the 4, and the end of exclusive arrangements.

I have owned Apple products since I was 10 years old, in 1983. My first iPod? The 3rd gen. My first iPhone? The 4 (it was released at a time when minutes mattered, and all my family, like me, we're on Verizon, so the third gen wasn't for me and the 4 was my first opportunity). My first iPad? You guessed it, the 3rd gen. Guess which Apple Watch I will likely get?

Anyone caring about first gen sales misses Apple's philosophy. They stick with things and get them right.
  • Reply 299 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I, too, have a high concentration of iPhone users, and maybe two or three people have the watch.

You can't compare the Apple Watch to the iPhone at this point. iPhone fever, as you call it, really didn't start until the 3GS, and really took off with the 4, and the end of exclusive arrangements.

I have owned Apple products since I was 10 years old, in 1983. My first iPod? The 3rd gen. My first iPhone? The 4 (it was released at a time when minutes mattered, and all my family, like me, we're on Verizon, so the third gen wasn't for me and the 4 was my first opportunity). My first iPad? You guessed it, the 3rd gen. Guess which Apple Watch I will likely get?

Anyone caring about first gen sales misses Apple's philosophy. They stick with things and get them right.

I largely agree with that assessment.  I do think that the public was more enthusiastic in general towards the iPhone, but you're right that the "fever" didn't really start with the first release.  I think the Apple Watch has the potential to be a nice accessory business for Apple.  It will never be a tentpole product.  Can Apple convince 10% of iPhone buyers to also buy the Watch accessory?  That pads the bottom line quite nicely every quarter.

I think they often get it right from the start.  My first iPod was the first iPod and it was great.  Changed my life.  I had tried other MP3 players in the store and they all sucked.  I used SoundJam (that was the name, right?) on my Mac.  The iPod was so elegant compared to the other MP3 players on the market and the hardware/software integration was superior.  And it only got better from there!  My first iPhone was the first iPhone.  I completely skipped the 3G and 3GS and went for the 4.  Although I wanted faster connectivity, the first iPhone was adequate for my needs, so I tried to run it into the ground.  Still haven't succeeded.  It's my Sonos remote now.

I don't think it's unfair to be concerned about first gen sales either, although I get your point.  Apple hyped the Watch a lot and the overall product category has been viewed with skepticism by many, so a failed launch pretty much would have signaled that the public is not interested.  Clearly the launch was a success compared to other products in the same category and now we have to wait and see if there is momentum.

• Reply 300 of 301
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

We have no proof the watch is a failure. Absence of numbers isn't proof. Besides Apple said it outsold the iPhone and iPad in their initial releases.

Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence. Most of my friends and family don't own MacBooks. Is that a failure?