Apple Watch supplier misses 2M unit break-even point for Q2, FUD flinging ensues

Comments

• Reply 121 of 301
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) AC+ for Edition is $1500.

2) In one of my replies to [@]anantksundaram[/@] I did mention AC+, as well as other accessories, and even 3rd-party accessories as a measure of the revenue generated by this new product.

3) I purchased AC+, but I don't think I know anyone else that did. I know one person stated they aren't likely to drop it so why bother.

our household has 2 AWs (1 sport, 1 SS). we got the AC for them because we're not used to wearing watches and may bash them. we have the two chargers that came with them, one on either side of the bed. then we have two more chargers for our workplaces. then we have one more charger as a spare for when the cats eat one of the other chargers.
  • Reply 122 of 301
    I suspect that the Apple Watch will have apps (including Siri) to control the New AppleTV -- and through the New AppleTV, the TV Set, Cable Box (if any), Home Theater components, etc.
  • Reply 123 of 301
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    1) AC+ for Edition is $1500.

2) In one of my replies to [@]anantksundaram[/@] I did mention AC+, as well as other accessories, and even 3rd-party accessories as a measure of the revenue generated by this new product.

3) I purchased AC+, but I don't think I know anyone else that did. I know one person stated they aren't likely to drop it so why bother.

our household has 2 AWs (1 sport, 1 SS). we got the AC for them because we're not used to wearing watches and may bash them. we have the two chargers that came with them, one on either side of the bed. then we have two more chargers for our workplaces. then we have one more charger as a spare for when the cats eat one of the other chargers.

LOL!

Our cats tip over any glass left anywhere containing water -- and regularly knock flower vases off the tables, counters. mantel ...
  • Reply 124 of 301
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    LOL!

Our cats tip over any glass left anywhere containing water -- and regularly knock flower vases off the tables, counters. mantel ...

i guess i should be happy that ours leave water glasses alone... but they absolutely will destroy ANY charging cable left exposed, and they especially love Apple cables -- the type of anti-tangle plastic Apple uses is a bit spongier and must feel really good to them while chewing. if i fall asleep with the laptop plugged in, its frayed by morning. doh!!
  • Reply 125 of 301
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

It's interesting that so many Watch owners here have bought an extra charger even though the battery far exceeds any other Apple product on the market.

I have had an extra Mac notebook charger and absolutely have an iPhone charger at home, in my car, as well as an extra cable in my computer bag.

I'm not sure I need an extra Watch charger even though earlier wOS 2.0 betas did seem to use power in double time.

What I would like to have, is a battery backup for Watch, like I have for my iPhone. I keep a little cylinder battery backup on hand in case I'm, going to be away from a typical power source for more than, say, 12 hours in a day. I just bring the battery and my Lightning cable. I can also bring my watch cable in this rare instance, but I think I'd like some sort of wrist device that will charge while wearing but not necessary a new band. I wonder if for hiking/camping something like that be good for a week or more, perhaps with a solar panel or kinetic device for the wrist that will charge whilst walking. Perhaps for your phone, too.
  • Reply 126 of 301
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    You people keep missing the point. The WSJ purposefully has misinterpreted what this guy said. He wasn't talking about demand for his product, he was talking about the company's ability to produce enough of the product to "break even", almost certainly because of production issues. Why almost certainly? Because ther's no way he could know that six months from now they still wouldn't be able to "break even" UNLESS it were a production problem!

Think, people!
  • Reply 127 of 301
    sacto joe wrote: »
    You people keep missing the point. The WSJ purposefully has misinterpreted what this guy said. He wasn't talking about demand for his product, he was talking about the company's ability to produce enough of the product to "break even", almost certainly because of production issues. Why almost certainly? Because ther's no way he could know that six months from now they still wouldn't be able to "break even" UNLESS it were a production problem!

Think, people!

I have to assume we're all aware that WSJ, NYT and most everyone else will purposely spin a story into a negative if it's about Apple.
  • Reply 128 of 301
    I have to assume we're all aware that WSJ, NYT and most everyone else will purposely spin a story into a negative if it's about Apple.
    We may be, at least in part. But what about the average consumer? This is clearly targeted at convincing the average consumer that the Apple Watch is undesirable. It is our job to wake people up to the reality that this is, pure and simple, propaganda.
  • Reply 129 of 301
    We may be, at least in part. But what about the average consumer? This is clearly targeted at convincing the average consumer that the Apple Watch is undesirable. It is our job to wake people up to the reality that this is, pure and simple, propaganda.

We don't need to do anything, at least anything because of the WSJ. If Watch is desirable then it will catch on like every desirable Apple product before it.

Has anyone asked you about your Watch? I've received innummerbale questions and my honest answer is that it's unnecessary yet indispensable. That seemingly contradictory response often leads to a follow up request for an explanation at which point I explain what I mean. If they are a Watch owner asking me how I feel about it they know exactly what I mean by my succient answer.
  • Reply 130 of 301
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    No complaints -- but that may be bacuse of the extra chargers.

Well I broke down and bought one this afternoon. Two reasons: one, I had a $350 gift card from work burning a hole in my pocket. Two, as I was out running errands I had the latest iMore podcast on and they were giving their impressions of the watch 3 months in. Everyone on the show had mostly positive things to say, especially around fitness and activity apps. Jim Dalrymple talked about how the Watch is on his wrist every day and has helped him lose weight. And Jim's not just some blind Apple fanboy that can't be critical; he's been very critical of Apple Music and still has no plans to use it until Apple fixes all the problems. So I trust he's being honest about ?Watch.

I ordered the watch online for in store pickup and less than an hour later I was out the door with a 38mm silver Sport with white band. The store wasn't too busy (there was someone looking at the Watch!) and the process couldn't have been any smoother. They scanned my barcode, asked me if I wanted help setting it up (I said no thanks) and less than 5 minutes later I walked out of the store with my Watch in a really nice bag with pink handles. :) The process was so smooth and so simple. Exactly how shopping should be! Now to set this puppy up...
  • Reply 131 of 301
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

I'm doing my part.

I've had the watch for the last week, and find I can actually use it discreetly for a quick response to a phone call (I'm on my way!!"), while in light traffic on the freeway. I've been telling my customer, an iPhone 6 plus user, how it is saving grief in the shop because I can glance and answer if I want. I'll start using some of its other functionality including third party apps as it makes sense, but already, I'm happy with just the minimums I've described. I'm guessing that this will actually drive some new iPhone sales.

Added to that, I ordered a FLIR thermal imaging pluggable for iPhone's Lightning port, and we were using it to see thermal loads on a live telecom amplifier's PCB that my customer builds. Even with a relatively low resolution, he's sold on its utility(FLIR has an Android version as well).

The Apple Watch is going to be a device that each individual will have to decide if and when it is right for them, but ultimately, wearables is definitely where Apple needs to be for the future.

• Reply 132 of 301
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Do you think consumers who don't typically wear expensive watches daily if at all will suddenly decide to do so because they want a computer on their wrist that will tell time? The watchmakers looking to integrate smart functions with fine timepieces depend on the well-heeled for their revenue, not Joe-consumer. They'll concede the low-end to techs as long as they can continue to appeal to the high-end. I think staying true to what brung'em to the party while integrating the most-used functions from tech-watches like payments, notifications and fitness will keep them relevant for much longer than some here might otherwise expect.

They don't have to out-tech the techs and couldn't if they wanted to. But they can out-style them if they don't have to design the watch to house a computer screen full of apps.

That may depend on their age group. Older people are more likely to wear nice watches but are also not likely to be into CE as a general rule, so that's a moot point. To paraphrase Jobs, it doesn't matter, these people will die off..

Apple's goal here is longterm. I'd even argue it's much more longterm than any other product they've ever made.

My younger brother and his wife has been wearing nice watches for his adult life but him and his wife now wear Apple Watches, the SS models. His is the SS band (he didn't want to wait an extra month for the black so it's the silver). He has friends that did the same and I say these are 25-35yo age groups making $150- 300k per year per household.

Will they never wear or buy other watches again? I assume they will but they almost always wear their Apple Watch. The real question comes in a year or two if they will buy another Apple Watch and then another on the next cycle or two. I'm not even sure Apple has a firm grasp on this aspect of the market yet.

I think you're right on in the last paragraph ... no-one has a grasp of this aspect of the market.

Based on many years of observing Apple (I started to type Apple-watching :) -- here's what I think.

The Watch 1.0 contains compromises that Apple typically makes in 1.0 products:
    • make a good enough product to be disruptive
    • get it out there as soon as practical to manufacture in quantity
    • worry about costs, tech improvements later

As such, the Watch 1.0 is an anomaly -- it's not the latest tech, it's not upgradeable.

I think the Apple Watch 2 will set the stage for the future and there are several options:
    • advanced tech -- XPoint RAM (More RAM/Storage, lower battery usage), GPS, Always on Time display, more sensors, smaller/thinner package, etc.
    • upgradeable

If true there will be less reason to carry a phone, and less fear of obsolescence.

With easily replaceable innards, Apple could make it cost effective for the consumer to upgrade to the latest/greatest or keep your existing model -- all the while increasing appeal and reducing manufacturing and repair costs.

This would certainly appeal to the typical [higher-end] consumer you identified.

Here's where it could get really interesting for the fashionistas and top-end buyers (in direct competition with the existing Fine Watches). Apple certainly could offer additional styles specifically targeting makes like Omega, Rolex, etc. These could be offered in many models and price ranges.

These high-fashion/price Apple Watches would have significant advantages over the high-end competition -- upgradeability, less expensive to repair, more capability -- and even price (if an issue).

There is certainly no reason that Apple couldn't release new Fine Watch styles several times a year. They could make arrangements with existing companies to add customization (bling) such as precious stones, engravings, casework, surface treatments, etc. These Fine Apple Watches would not only last forever -- they would improve with age -- and, yet satisfy those who want to make the latest/greatest personal/fashion statement.

Put us down for 2 Hillary models, a Bernie, 2 "The Donalds", and a Beyonce :smokey:
  • Reply 133 of 301
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Think, people!

And let's not forget this is the same WSJ that ran a front page story on January 13, 2013 that Apple was cutting iPhone 5 production in half because of less than expected demand. On Jan 11 the stock price was $520. The close on Jan 14 was $501. If someone wants to drive the stock down they know what to do.
  • Reply 134 of 301

We don't need to do anything, at least anything because of the WSJ. If Watch is desirable then it will catch on like every desirable Apple product before it.

Has anyone asked you about your Watch? I've received innummerbale questions and my honest answer is that it's unnecessary yet indispensable. That seemingly contradictory response often leads to a follow up request for an explanation at which point I explain what I mean. If they are a Watch owner asking me how I feel about it they know exactly what I mean by my succient answer.

Boom!
  • Reply 135 of 301
    Maybe I'm reading too much into the verbage but this "do your part" thing sounds too cultish and like a propaganda slogan. Are we at war with Eurasia?

[video]
  • Reply 136 of 301
    rogifan wrote: »
    No complaints -- but that may be bacuse of the extra chargers.

Well I broke down and bought one this afternoon. Two reasons: one, I had a $350 gift card from work burning a hole in my pocket. Two, as I was out running errands I had the latest iMore podcast on and they were giving their impressions of the watch 3 months in. Everyone on the show had mostly positive things to say, especially around fitness and activity apps. Jim Dalrymple talked about how the Watch is on his wrist every day and has helped him lose weight. And Jim's not just some blind Apple fanboy that can't be critical; he's been very critical of Apple Music and still has no plans to use it until Apple fixes all the problems. So I trust he's being honest about ?Watch.

I ordered the watch online for in store pickup and less than an hour later I was out the door with a 38mm silver Sport with white band. The store wasn't too busy (there was someone looking at the Watch!) and the process couldn't have been any smoother. They scanned my barcode, asked me if I wanted help setting it up (I said no thanks) and less than 5 minutes later I walked out of the store with my Watch in a really nice bag with pink handles. :) The process was so smooth and so simple. Exactly how shopping should be! Now to set this puppy up...

Keep us posted!

(Too bad you didn't already have an Apple Watch -- you coulda' made your purchase even easier with ApplePay).
  • Reply 137 of 301
    And there's this:

[QUOTE]July 21

Apple and IBM today unveiled 10 new enterprise apps across several industries including tools for government inspectors, business travelers and managers, and field service professionals for the first time. The latest apps bring the number of iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch apps built for the enterprise under Apple’s IBM MobileFirst for iOS partnership to 32 in total. Here are the new apps joining the list today:[/QUOTE]

And these:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/61428/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/61429/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Now, what do you think the IT departments of companies who adopt these Mobile First apps will deploy for Tablets, Phones and Watches?

Apple is doomed, dammit, doomed -- the WSJ told me so!
  • Reply 138 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Fine. You can choose to sit back and let the propaganda win. I can't. When I see something that gets my dander up, I'm the type that writes my congressman or at least pens a letter to the editor. I at least make an effort to educate people to the wool being pulled over their eyes.

• Reply 139 of 301

Fine. You can choose to sit back and let the propaganda win. I can't. When I see something that gets my dander up, I'm the type that writes my congressman or at least pens a letter to the editor. I at least make an effort to educate people to the wool being pulled over their eyes.

Be careful of your agenda. You may end up reaffirming their preconceptions and getting them to hate Apple and their products as a result. Haven't you ever heard that the worst thing about Apple are their customers?

I much prefer letting the market decide and never tell people why they should do when it comes to CE. "Get the product that best suits your needs," is what I typically say. May I suggest simply talking up the features you like when asked and how it benefits your needs? I find it best when people come to their own conclusions instead of feeling like they have to do something or else be shunned by community.
  • Reply 140 of 301
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

nope. either Tim Cook lied to investors on the quarterly call, or you've got little idea what you're talking about. hmm.

Maybe you didn't actually read what I posted. I never said Cook lied or even attempted to lie, he simply refuses to release numbers instead he lumps them in with "other products". Some on this forum will try to justify any excuse to defy any reasonable logic the numbers just aren't there. 

The pre market push on this watch was one of the largest I've seen Apple do ever. An announcement followed six months later by an event, articles, magazine covers, before it was release high profile people wearing them, clearly given to them before launch. All this to group it with other products? Yeah that's logical. 

Apple created this monster with their own hype.