Rumor: Apple to launch three new iPhones concurrently: '6s,' '6s Plus' and '6c'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    mike1 wrote: »
    Makes sense only if your 6c is a 4" screen.
    make sense only if 6c in plastic because in metal, it's already better than 5S. Why replace 5S with a better one instead of letting it where it is and phase out next year?
  • Reply 22 of 66
    I love how the rumor mill is SO CONFIDENT in its supply chain leaks that the absence of proof is taken as proof of absence.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    mcarling wrote: »

I hope and expect that the 6c will have a 4" screen.  In my opinion, the big hole in the current iPhone line is the lack of a 4" iPhone that supports Apple Pay.

If they can put an A8 chip in the iPod Touch...
  • Reply 24 of 66

I hope and expect that the 6c will have a 4" screen.  In my opinion, the big hole in the current iPhone line is the lack of a 4" iPhone that supports Apple Pay.
    according to this rumor, it's a mid tier 4" color metal phone which has current 6 design. That means all the current 6 components included in 4" color metal chassis. Why not just read the article?
  • Reply 25 of 66
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

make sense only if 6c in plastic because in metal, it's already better than 5S. Why replace 5S with a better one instead of letting it where it is and phase out next year?

Every year, Apple replace older models with better models, usually at the same price point.  In this case, Apple have a strategic imperative to support Apple Pay on all iPhones sold in the US and UK.  It's time to relegate the 5s to developing markets, just like Apple did with the 4s.

• Reply 26 of 66
    I love how the rumor mill is SO CONFIDENT in its supply chain leaks that the absence of proof is taken as proof of absence.
    new iPod Touch case was absent until a few days before it's released. It's not surprised to me that we don't see any leak because it may be mistaken with iPod Touch chassis and manufacturing workers didn't realize it.
  • Reply 27 of 66

Every year, Apple replace older models with better models, usually at the same price point.  In this case, Apple have a strategic imperative to support Apple Pay on all iPhones sold in the US and UK.  It's time to relegate the 5s to developing markets, just like Apple did with the 4s.
    Apple release new flagship phone and cut prices of the old. Apple would care less of Apple Pay for lowest tier. The cost of the new components and design are too much for the benefit. Apple Pay is not a selling point of the phone. If they wanted to push for Apple Pay, they could do that with ease: include NFC chip in 5S. It didn't happen last year and it won't happen this year. By the way, only a few % of capable iPhone owners actually use Apple Pay.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

according to this rumor, it's a mid tier 4" color metal phone which has current 6 design. That means all the current 6 components included in 4" color metal chassis. Why not just read the article?

I did read the article.

Quote:

Apple would care less of Apple Pay for lowest tier. The cost of the new components and design are too much for the benefit. Apple Pay is not a selling point of the phone. If they wanted to push for Apple Pay, they could do that with ease: include NFC chip in 5S. It didn't happen last year and it won't happen this year. By the way, only a few % of capable iPhone owners actually use Apple Pay.

When Apple make their move, we'll see who's right.

• Reply 29 of 66
    potatoman wrote: »
    They won't keep the 6 and 6 plus due to cannibalization of the 6s and 6s Plus, and they will not bring out an aluminium 6c. To bring aluminium to the 6C, they would need to redesign an ENTIRELY new phone, just for the low cost iPhone. They can't just put it in the touch's design, the internals would not fit, and they need an antenna system. Keep in mind we had leaks months ago of a 5c design with the 5s dual flash system, would that not suggest a plastic 6c is more likely? I predict:

$299 iPhone 6s Plus
    $199 iPhone 6s
    $99 iPhone 6c (looks like 5c, 6 internals like A8 and NFC, with a few 5s features such as its camera and dual flash system)
    $0 iPhone 5s

This range also offers a 'here you go' product for those who want the latest internals but are reluctant to increase screen size. "Here you go, its not as premium, but you can deal with this or jump boat to 4.7 inches"

This also leaves reason to buy the most expensive iPhones, which is of course Apples plan. I'd assume touch ID would be standard by the point. But want Apple Pay? You need to have a '6 series' phone. Want a larger screen? 6s or 6s Plus. Want faster with premium design? 6s or 6s Plus.

And then I believe by the time '7s' is around, they will redesign the '7c' completely for a fresh plastic design... if they even need a plastic budget phone then
    when did Apple put new gut in an old design and call it new phone? New components in 5c chassis WILL NOT make it a 6c, but updated 5c. 6c should or must have design of 6 series. Btw, Apple don't have any problem of putting iPhone 6 gut into 4" chassis. iPod Touch lately has proven it.
    I still believe 6c if true will be 4" iPhone 6 in color and it'll be in the same tier with iPhone 6. I don't believe Apple will discontinue iPhone 6 but 6+.
    I believe S an C will be released at the same time from now on where C will have last year flagship components and stay at mid tier together with last year 4.7" iPhone with $100 cut.
    This year:
    6+S
    6S
    6/6C
    5S
    Next year:
    7+
    6S
    6C
    Then again:
    7+S
    7S
    7/7C
    6S
    But who knows. Apple may do crazy things so randomly.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    If true, I think it's a great idea and would be tempted as long as it was offered in black. Color is not that big a deal but bright neon colors are not my favorites.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by potatoman View Post

I could be wrong no doubt, just an opinion. It'll be interesting to see how they take it. I had the same opinion as you until I saw that plastic 5c with a 5s dual flash and it threw me right off.

Plastic 5c with dual flash could be just a trial, not a production or just a China made chassis to make a headline. Who knows. Apple could update 5c with 5S gut and let it live for another year at lowest tier while discontinuing 5S. Again, Apple do thing randomly.

However, I like the idea of 6+S, 6S, 6c and 5S, then repeat with 7+S, 7S, 7c and 6S in 2 years.

• Reply 32 of 66
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I think the lineup is more likely to be:

- 6s Plus, $299 on contract

- 6s, $199 on contract

- 6, $99 on contract

- 6c, free on contract

... with the 5s continued only in an 8GB model for developing markets like India and Brazil.

So, I have not been following the latest cell company shenanigans ---... are these the same values with the new contract arrangements(ATT and Verizon etc)?

• Reply 33 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    read the article. It says 6c in metal aka new iPod Touch with cellular and gps in mid tier $99.

So colored aluminum won't cannibalize the 6S but discounting the 6 would?
  • Reply 34 of 66
    fallenjt wrote: »
    hell no. Metal 4" color phone is too good at lower tier where 5S belongs.
    - 6 and 4" 6c will both be at $99 tier, same internal gut while screen size offset by colors.

Would it cost that much to put an LTE radio into the iPod Touch? It has just about all the ingredients needed to be a colored metal iPhone with a 4" screen. All it needs is Touch ID and NFC chip to join the 6 family.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If the 6C ends up being plastic it won't be just like the 6 it will have to be thicker. You can't durably go as thin with plastic as you can with aluminum. If it's not plastic, if it's a colored version of the 6 then you scratch your head and wonder why only the cheap 4" phone gets color. Is that Apple's way of saying color is 'cheap' or only a certain demographic want color and that demographic is more concerned about price than anything else?
  • Reply 36 of 66
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    I still think there's a market for a 4" iPhone, despite being told by the experts here that there is no way Apple would spend the R/D on such a product. I still think Apple is looking at Apple Pay as a cash cow in the long run and will do everything they can to make sure it's in as many hands as possible, even if that means a cheaper product that cannibalizes sales of their more expensive phones.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

Agreed @Crimguy.  The only way I buy a "new" iPhone is if there is a 4" version.  Otherwise I'll upgrade my iPhone 5 to a 5S later this year when their prices tank after the new phablets launch.

• Reply 38 of 66
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    [quote name="fallenjt" url="/t/187671/rumor-apple-to-launch-three-new-iphones-concurrently-6s-6s-plus-and-6c/30_10#post_2759392"]when did Apple put new gut in an old design and call it new phone?[/QUOTE]

That all depends on your definition. I'd say the 5C was new guts" because it used a new logic board with a unique design for component and mount points than the iPhone 5 that came before it. It also had a better camera if I recall correctly. The Apple A-chip was the same as the iPhone 5, as well as many other parts, like the radios and such, I'm sure were the same, but those do not qualify as all the guts. There is clearly distinct engineering choices between the two, including a different battery, which is also part of the "guts."

If we say that it's about the generation of the processor then what about the original iPhone to the iPhone 3G? I seem to recall it being the same, but with a higher confg for the clock speed due to power savings elsewhere. Or what about the second version of the iPad 2 which allowed Apple to test the smaller lithography on the original iPad 2's architecture which resulted in no speed increase but added about 25% more battery life, IIRC.

Are those not changes to the "guts"? I would say they are when on a tech forum so I would qualify my statement in some way or be very specific about what is staying the same on a lateral move product.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    gordy wrote: »
    Agreed @<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/u/57551/crimguy" id="user_poster_2759470" style="line-height:normal;" name="user_poster_2759470">Crimguy</a>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">.  The only way I buy a "new" iPhone is if there is a 4" version.  Otherwise I'll upgrade my iPhone 5 to a 5S later this year when their prices tank after the new phablets launch.</span>

Have you held the iPhone 6? You're not really getting any extra weight or volume, yet get more usability. That curved body eliminates most concerns. It's even tighter and has less volume than many previous iPhones.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    crimguy wrote: »
    I still think there's a market for a 4" iPhone, despite being told by the experts here that there is no way Apple would spend the R/D on such a product. I still think Apple is looking at Apple Pay as a cash cow in the long run and will do everything they can to make sure it's in as many hands as possible, even if that means a cheaper product that cannibalizes sales of their more expensive phones.

Of course there is. They created the iPhone 5c, didn't they? And it remains a strong seller. Not everyone feels the need for "power user specs."