Interchange fees, hubris key challenges to Australian Apple Pay rollout

Comments

• Reply 81 of 138
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui wrote: »

Why are Apple being such dicks ripping off Australians, and in this instance, wanting to ride free on the efforts of Australian banks and expecting to be paid for the free ride?

why are you constantly spouting nonsense bullshit? oh yeah, trolling, as usual.

Apple Pay isn't a copy of Australia.

Apple pay doesn't represent a "free ride" for Apple. they built up a service that adds value.
  • Reply 82 of 138
    sflagel wrote: »
    My experience is limited to the UK

so the fault lies with your local retailers, not Apple Pay. it works easily and quickly.
  • Reply 83 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

so the fault lies with your local retailers, not Apple Pay. it works easily and quickly.

Apple Pay without retailers is just icons on a screen.  When people talk about Apple Pay they're talking about the whole user experience, not the technical implementation.

• Reply 84 of 138
    saarek wrote: »

They are not lies, they are simply honest observations. Why do you always have to get so upset when people describe any Apple product as less than god like and faultless.

that isn't the problem. the problem is when ignorant people chaulk up a poor experience as a failure or limitation of the service, when it is in fact a failure of something else. In this case AP has no such limitations as described by the ignorant poster, while it is instead a shortcoming of his chosen retailers' (POST) process/system, and has nothing at all to do with Apple Pay.
  • Reply 85 of 138
    crowley wrote: »

Apple Pay without retailers is just icons on a screen.  When people talk about Apple Pay they're talking about the whole user experience, not the technical implementation.

nope. some of you are trying to conflate the problems of your crummy retailers POSTs with an apple service. whether intentionally or just due to ignorance, I cannot say.

I've used AP dozens of times at multiple retailers, and there is no absurd need to ask the cashier to prepare the terminal for the waive. again -- the fault may lie with your retailer's equipment or training, but that has dickall to do with Apple pay.
  • Reply 86 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

that isn't the problem. the problem is when ignorant people chaulk up a poor experience as a failure or limitation of the service, when it is in fact a failure of something else. In this case AP has no such limitations as described by the ignorant poster, while it is instead a shortcoming of his chosen retailers' (POST) process/system, and has nothing at all to do with Apple Pay.

This is just nonsense though.  Using ApplePay is not just about using Apple's technology, it's about using the sales system, and if they don't work well together then the whole experience suffers.  That's ApplePay's problem as a solution; if the same problem doesn't exist with cards or cash then it's going to hurt ApplePay's uptake.  Whining that it's not Apple's fault is neither here nor there.

• Reply 87 of 138
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    saarek wrote: »
    They are not lies, they are simply honest observations.

If those are your honest observations then your observational skills border on retardation.
    Why do you always have to get so upset when people describe any Apple product as less than god like and faultless.

And here we have another lie.
  • Reply 88 of 138
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    crowley wrote: »

How are any of those lies?  Seem to make perfect sense to me.

You should try Apple Pay just once and you'll see that what he describes is not how it works. Just once! Try it!. For example, he writes lies in one line "It's also cumbersome to switch credit cards on Apple Pay: click to turn the phone on, rest finger for home screen, flick to get to Passbook, tap to open, tap to chose credit cards, tap again to change card, rest finger for authentication," that this is the process for using Apple Pay at a terminal which he also say is "not slick," and yet if one has used Apple Pay they would no there is 1) you don't hear to turn on the Home Screen because the Apple Pay options will appear on-screen when you make the NFC connection at a terminal, 2) one doesn't rest their finger on the Home Screen as this doesn't appear at all (in fact you don't even need to touch the display at all if you're using the default card), 3) since it already bring up your Apple Pay options there is no need to get into Passbook where you see your loyalty cards and where you can add remove your Apple Pay cards, as well as see your previous transactions (I'm not even sure you can enable Apple Pay payments from within the PassBook app manually. Why would you when these payments are either NFC or accessed within an app?), 4) you only have to choose a credit card if you don't wish to use the default card but it's simply a single tap to bring it the forefront and then placing your Touch ID-capable finger on the Home Button to choose Apple Pay. This takes less time to a achieve then your stupid "Seems to make perfect sense to me" comment, as if you hadn't seen Apple Pay in action in a video or heard about NFC-based payments over the last year so, yes, **** you two for waiting both my time and everyone else's time with your fuckery.
  • Reply 89 of 138
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    ascii wrote: »
    roake wrote: »

Inflation = fees on cash.  Loss of investment revenues = fees on cash.
    I wasn't saying you should keep all your money in cash under the mattress, just that you could avoid transaction fees and improve anonymity by using cash.

For example instead of using cards everywhere, which tells your bank and/or credit card company everywhere you've been, just take a few hundred out of the bank every Monday, and use that for the rest of the week.

Fair enough.
  • Reply 90 of 138
    pk0702 wrote: »
    analogjack wrote: »
    Apple appears to not understand the unmitigated greed of Australian banks.

Andriod Pay will be free. Why shouldn't they negotiate a lower Apple Tax?

Easy to make a service free when no-one wants it. Why not drive a Yugo for cheap (free?) when a Rolls-Royce will cost substantially more?
  • Reply 91 of 138
    hill60 wrote: »
    mubaili wrote: »
    Well it is clear that the Australia banks don't have their customers best interest in their heart. Apple Pay is such a convenience revolution that any bank who cares about its customers would beg and rush to implement it fees be damned.

Bwahahahah, banks "caring" about their  customers, good one.

We are cows to be milked of whatever they can get away with.

That particular farm is call "Capitolism"
  • Reply 92 of 138
    spheric wrote: »
    djsherly wrote: »
    op is talking about the development of CC infrastructure, not tax avoidance/evasion.

On that topic, though, why shouldn't a company pay taxes for access to a countries consumers? All the big tech companies are guilty of it.

Because politicians specifically enable them to get out of paying taxes in order to attract businesses. 

Are you "guilty" of not paying more income tax than you are legally required to? I guess. 

It's like this; if it's legal (it is), then Australia is simply begging (and by begging, I mean frothing in rage at) Apple to do some nation-level philanthropy. Their begging is along the lines of, "We need you, and love you and all, but we will kick your ass in the media if you don't stop actually utilizing our laws and pay us MOAR! Cause... Cause we deserve it somehow!"
  • Reply 93 of 138
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    With the notable exception of people with a concealed-carry license.

if a mugger already has his gun drawn on you, you're not going to have the opportunity to ask for a dual. you're going to give up your wallet.

Situational awareness is your friend. Or alternatively, just walk around with half a dozen hungry pit bulls on quick-release leashes.
  • Reply 94 of 138
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    It's like this; if it's legal (it is), then Australia is simply begging (and by begging, I mean frothing in rage at) Apple to do some nation-level philanthropy. Their begging is along the lines of, "We need you, and love you and all, but we will kick your ass in the media if you don't stop actually utilizing our laws and pay us MOAR! Cause... Cause we deserve it somehow!"
    You're quite confident it's legal. We do have a provision in the tax code that says if it looks smelly we will simply look through the arrangement and fine you. There's a reason it's not being more actively used but I guess the High Court rulings on part iva may have something to do with it.
  • Reply 95 of 138
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    easy problem to solve... here in the U.S. the retailers I use AP with have POS devices that are always listening, or listen after final cachier tally. I don't have to tell them anything. if your terminals don't work like that currently, they will.

I am sure they will some day. But for now, my experience seems to show that most readers have to be enabled by clicking a button on the cash register. In many small shops, and in restaurants, the amount actually has to be keyed in separately into the Credit card terminal by the cashier! The register and the cc terminal are not connected at all.
  • Reply 96 of 138
    Spoiler:
    nonsense:

it takes absolutely no effort to identify an NFC POST.

take a drive to Whole Foods and try it some time, the POST is always listening for a NFC waive, even while ringing items up.

or try Walgreens where the POST is listening at the very least after the cashier has totaled.

As mentioned before, my experience is purely UK. I think I made that quite clear in my original post? Otherwise forgive me, I meant to.

In the UK, some card readers show the contactless sign on the hardware, but most don't. The contactless logo only shows up on the screen once the cashier enabled the reader. I don't know why that is. Maybe the screen shows the contactless logo only when the transaction amount is small enough?

In instances where the reader always listen to a signal, like the London tube, the experience is fantastic (again, I think I mentioned that in my post).
  • Reply 97 of 138

Absolutely.

(I never said Apple Pay does not work, I said the payment process is not slick, due to the intricacies of how credit card readers in the UK work).
  • Reply 98 of 138

This post is very out of tune for you, you are usually quite professional. I never said AP does not work, I just said that in the UK, the payment process is not slick. I cast no blame. Indeed, I said it's great to pay for the tube.

The other thing is that in the UK, it is still limited to £20, so it's just not that great.
  • Reply 99 of 138
    solipsismy wrote: »
    You should try Apple Pay just once and you'll see that what he describes is not how it works. Just once! Try it!.
    I will, when I upgrade my 5S this September. Calm down.
    For example, he writes lies in one line "It's also cumbersome to switch credit cards on Apple Pay: click to turn the phone on, rest finger for home screen, flick to get to Passbook, tap to open, tap to chose credit cards, tap again to change card, rest finger for authentication," that this is the process for using Apple Pay at a terminal which he also say is "not slick,"
    You've conflated two things. What he is describing is the process for changing the selected payment card on an iPhone, not the payment process itself. He's pretty clear about that.
    4) you only have to choose a credit card if you don't wish to use the default card but it's simply a single tap to bring it the forefront and then placing your Touch ID-capable finger on the Home Button to choose Apple Pay.
    This seems like an oversimplification, where are you choosing the card? What are you bringing to the forefront? The post that you called lies broke the process down into steps which were easy to follow and made sense to me, but your description leaves me scratching my head.
    This takes less time to a achieve then your stupid "Seems to make perfect sense to me" comment, as if you hadn't seen Apple Pay in action in a video or heard about NFC-based payments over the last year so, yes, **** you two for waiting both my time and everyone else's time with your fuckery.
    Seriously, do you have to be so hostile all the time. No one is calling ApplePay rubbish, just expressing frustrations with afew things that could be better. Even the changing card process, though irritating, would be less irritating than carrying a wallet around all the time, so we're all on the same page here.
  • Reply 100 of 138
    You should try Apple Pay just once and you'll see that what he describes is not how it works. Just once! Try it!. For example, he writes lies in one line "It's also cumbersome to switch credit cards on Apple Pay: click to turn the phone on, rest finger for home screen, flick to get to Passbook, tap to open, tap to chose credit cards, tap again to change card, rest finger for authentication," that this is the process for using Apple Pay at a terminal which he also say is "not slick," and yet if one has used Apple Pay they would no there is 1) you don't hear to turn on the Home Screen because the Apple Pay options will appear on-screen when you make the NFC connection at a terminal, 2) one doesn't rest their finger on the Home Screen as this doesn't appear at all (in fact you don't even need to touch the display at all if you're using the default card), 3) since it already bring up your Apple Pay options there is no need to get into Passbook where you see your loyalty cards and where you can add remove your Apple Pay cards, as well as see your previous transactions (I'm not even sure you can enable Apple Pay payments from within the PassBook app manually. Why would you when these payments are either NFC or accessed within an app?), 4) you only have to choose a credit card if you don't wish to use the default card but it's simply a single tap to bring it the forefront and then placing your Touch ID-capable finger on the Home Button to choose Apple Pay. This takes less time to a achieve then your stupid "Seems to make perfect sense to me" comment, as if you hadn't seen Apple Pay in action in a video or heard about NFC-based payments over the last year so, yes, **** you two for waiting both my time and everyone else's time with your fuckery.

Sorry, I meant home button not home screen. And I was not aware that payment options come up in the lock screen, never have for me and I have three credit cards installed. Lastly, I specifically described switching cards, I am well aware that the default card does not require any process. In any case, I and 65 million other people in the UK will continue to use cards (and apple watch where readers are always on and the transaction is under £20) for now. (And yes, I described the experience in the UK only, I thought that was clear.