Slack CEO denigrates Apple's Siri in announcing work on own team-serving virtual assistant

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 135
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ascii wrote: »

Try the wording I used though "How many litres does a 1 litre bottle hold?" and it doesn't work, even though the answer is virtually in the question. Which goes to my point that it's easy to tell you're dealing with a fairly fragile regex style pattern matcher and not yet what people would call an intelligence.

why would you assume otherwise?

also, he showed one of your purported fails was a pass.
  • Reply 122 of 135
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jdw wrote: »

Indeed.  :-)

But if Steve Jobs were alive he would be giving the SIRI team hell.  I am not saying Mr. Cook is doing a bad job at the helm, but I don't believe he is giving the SIRI team as much hell as Jobs would have.  

Apple needs to THINK DIFFERENT to make SIRI a lot better.

oh look, another armchair CEO who also knew Steve Jobs and can channel his ghost. sweet.
  • Reply 123 of 135
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,354member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

oh look, another armchair CEO who also knew Steve Jobs and can channel his ghost. sweet.

You seem to be have been successful channeling SIRI.  

Congratulations.

• Reply 124 of 135

Indeed.  :-)

But if Steve Jobs were alive he would be giving the SIRI team hell.  I am not saying Mr. Cook is doing a bad job at the helm, but I don't believe he is giving the SIRI team as much hell as Jobs would have.  

Apple needs to THINK DIFFERENT to make SIRI a lot better.

Why he "needs" to give them "hell"?
    Why they'd need to think different?
    Care to share any of your inside facts?

Or is it just ranting without clues?
  • Reply 125 of 135
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

why would you assume otherwise?

also, he showed one of your purported fails was a pass.

I used a local celebrity when I first did it, but when posting I changed it to Obama at the last minute because this is an American site. But it was really a fail if you think about it, because the answer was in the question (as it was in all 3 of my examples), but it didn't realize that and did a Wolfram Alpha query.

Why would I assume otherwise? Maybe Apple's claim on their website that Siri "understands what you say [and] knows what you mean." Speech recognition + regex + database queries != understanding. That said I do think computers will be able to understand us one day.

• Reply 126 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Why he "needs" to give them "hell"?

Why they'd need to think different?

Care to share any of your inside facts?

Or is it just ranting without clues?

Did you even read the article?

Are you aware I am replying on-topic?

That answers all your questions soundly.

But I will be even more specific and repeat myself:

SIRI stinks a lot of the time here in Japan.  And from the looks of the article and the posts of others, it's a global thing.

Steve Jobs blasted Apple staff when they screwed up under his watch.  In the aftermath of the MobileMe fumble he told Apple employees the following:

"You've tarnished Apple's reputation ... You should hate each other for having let each other down."

If you still don't understand what I am talking about, you need to read up on Mr. Jobs a little.  I don't agree with all he did, but when he pounded on people, it usually got them to THINK DIFFERENT.

SIRI needs work, and someone should crack the whip at Apple.

?Enough said.

• Reply 127 of 135
    Did you even read the article?
    Are you aware I am replying on-topic?
    That answers all your questions soundly.

But I will be even more specific and repeat myself:

SIRI stinks a lot of the time here in Japan.  And from the looks of the article and the posts of others, it's a global thing.

Steve Jobs blasted Apple staff when they screwed up under his watch.  In the aftermath of the MobileMe fumble he told Apple employees the following:

"You've tarnished Apple's reputation ... You should hate each other for having let each other down."

If you still don't understand what I am talking about, you need to read up on Mr. Jobs a little.  I don't agree with all he did, but when he pounded on people, it usually got them to THINK DIFFERENT.

SIRI needs work, and someone should crack the whip at Apple.

?Enough said.

Yes, I did read the article. And yes, I did read about Steve Jobs.

I am still missing the data to back up your claims.

You find that SIRI is not working for you in Japan. That's one data point. And maybe the reason is not related to SIRI but your manner of speaking?

And you will have people sharing good and bad experiences about a topic all the time. And this thread - like others - is prone to have the complainers come out more than the ones that are satisfied. That doesn't make it a global issue.

Also you have no clue how strongly the team at Apple works on improving the service. If you think you do and how technically easy it is, please enlighten us.
    Maybe it's simply not THAT easy? Maybe he (or the responsible manager) is already giving the team what you prefer to call "hell"?

I'm sure you know that technology does not jump at the snap of a finger. Not even at SJ's.

I repeat myself then: please show evidence that
    A) SIRI "needs" improvement as you claimed (as opposed to "can be improved"), and
    B) the team is not working on it the hardest they can.
  • Reply 128 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

I'm sure you know that technology does not jump at the snap of a finger. Not even at SJ's.

Had Steve Job's finger never snapped Apple would have never come to be, and the device on which you are trolling us would not exist.

Please stop doing a "SIRI works great for me so if it doesn't for you, you must be rare exceptions" thing on us.  Be supportive of your fellow Apple lovers.  There's no cause to be an "Apple always does everything to the best of their ability" yes-man.  We like Apple.  We buy AAPL stock.  We unload our wallets to support the company.  And I myself have done so since my Mac 128k in 1984.  But that doesn't mean we all have problem-free experiences like you.

We naturally judge the Apple team by the good or bad they produce.  This article is about the bad.  Many people have chimed in with other "dots" of bad.  If SIRI was as great as you try to pitch it, the whole world would be endlessly ranting over how great it is, and how similarly good it is to the computer on Star Trek.  Sorry, but that is not reality.

Regardless of what you say, and no matter how loudly or often you try to say it, it remains a fact that SIRI needs major work.  And yes, a powerful loudmouth can, and often does, kick people to do some insanely great things.  We all can do better than our best if we try.  We just need proper motivation.

Good day, sir.

• Reply 129 of 135
    Had Steve Job's finger never snapped Apple would have never come to be, and the device on which you are trolling us would not exist.

Please stop doing a "SIRI works great for me so if it doesn't for you, you must be rare exceptions" thing on us.  Be supportive of your fellow Apple lovers.  There's no cause to be an "Apple always does everything to the best of their ability" yes-man.  We like Apple.  We buy AAPL stock.  We unload our wallets to support the company.  And I myself have done so since my Mac 128k in 1984.  But that doesn't mean we all have problem-free experiences like you.

We naturally judge the Apple team by the good or bad they produce.  This article is about the bad.  Many people have chimed in with other "dots" of bad.  If SIRI was as great as you try to pitch it, the whole world would be endlessly ranting over how great it is, and how similarly good it is to the computer on Star Trek.  Sorry, but that is not reality.

Regardless of what you say, and no matter how loudly or often you try to say it, it remains a fact that SIRI needs major work.  And yes, a powerful loudmouth can, and often does, kick people to do some insanely great things.  We all can do better than our best if we try.  We just need proper motivation.

Good day, sir.

I like Apple.
    And I never said SIRI is great. Or that it should not be improved.
    All I say is that I have not seen any representative facts showing how good, or bad, SIRI actually performs. And you still don't provide them.
    Maybe it's really below par.
    And maybe the team responsible is scratching their butts while eating donuts like Himer Simpson.
    I just don't know. And you don't know.
    Therefore, it remains your opinion and the "need" for "hell" remains a subjective assessment. Like the expectation of it working eventually like the StarTrek's computer is a personal expectation, not a statement from Apple.
    Like my opinion which states that SIRI works most of the time for me, even though I don't depend on it and I would like to see improvements.

And the same for you, Sir.
  • Reply 130 of 135
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,569member

What's immensely frustrating is to see and hear all these examples of how Siri is context-aware and the cool stuff she can do, only to find that hardly any of them work in German. She won't even look up Wolfram Alpha stuff by default. 

Just bloody annoying. 

• Reply 131 of 135
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

What happened to not releasing things until they were ready?

Haven't checked recently, but it was an eternity that Siri was 'released' while being referred to as a 'beta' on the iPhone page of the Apple site (where only people like us ever go, not the general public.  Wasn't called beta in the ads).

For my part Siri is good for what it does well, but don't feel Apple has cared enough about perfecting what users bring up.  I have also experienced being given info for something 200 miles away instead of 200 feet and it wasn't for lack of voice training.  But it's kind of like any search.  Opportunity for a fair amount of noise but reading you can quickly skim past it.  When Siri's speaking the noise it's a bit much.

• Reply 132 of 135
    Apple's Siri is nowhere near as good as our own yet to be developed or deployed product
  • Reply 133 of 135
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,262member
    ascii wrote: »
    I find the speech recognition quite impressive. Even if it initially gets a word wrong, it will often correct it later in the sentence based on context. But let's not kid ourselves, it's clear that you're not talking to any kind of "AI" e.g.

"Siri, How many litres does a 1 litre bottle hold?"

Here's what I found on the web...

"Siri, what is Barack Obama's last name?"

"Siri, all cars are green. What colour is my car?"

Haha! Turing test fail!
  • Reply 134 of 135
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member

Oh, boy. I can't wait to use Slack's system!

Oh, wait... It is not available yet? So far, just a pipe dream?

Damn, it reminds me of that foldable tablet Microsoft promoted when the iPad first came out. Vaporware.