Slack CEO denigrates Apple's Siri in announcing work on own team-serving virtual assistant

Comments

• Reply 21 of 135
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Siri gets a 5/10 on my phone, but does superbly (9/10) on my Watch. It is both puzzling and maddening.

Again, a la so many such software and networking innovations (too numerous to list), Apple initially gets it going out there better than any one else, but then lets others catch up or even overtake them.

Maybe, the phone is simply not the best use of those personal assistant. Having they on cue on the watch is probably a better use case.

• Reply 22 of 135

Well, Siri just fetched a Silicon Republic article from June 25 in response to my query about Slack's user base, it's 1.1M. Until Butterfield can show a working AI product that serves as many users as well as Siri does for iOS, he really should just keep working and keep his trap shut. What an arrogant ignoramus !

• Reply 23 of 135
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "Apple spent billions of dollars on Siri and worked on it for a very long time with hundreds of engineers and a huge dataset of voices - and it's f-ing idiotic. Siri is nearly useless," Butterfield said."

I really don't have a rebuttal to this. Siri is really, really good at telling me what time it is. Anything else stumps the shit out of her.

I call BS on this. I use Siri every day on my watch. Not once has Siri been befuddled with what I asked it.
  • Reply 24 of 135
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

something Butterfield believes could boost productivity by 20 to 30 percent.

20-30%

20-30%

20-30%

20-30% 

Twenty to thirty percent?

OK, Butterfield, you get to work on that. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Reply 25 of 135
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Siri gets a 5/10 on my phone, but does superbly (9/10) on my Watch. It is both puzzling and maddening.

Again, a la so many such software and networking innovations (too numerous to list), Apple initially gets it going out there better than any one else, but then lets others catch up or even overtake them.

I agree. It's one of the reasons I've said Cook needs to hire an SVP that oversees all of Apple's cloud efforts. I don't think Cue is up to the task and probably has too much on his plate.
  • Reply 26 of 135
    Siri might suck, but this guy hasn't even built a system yet, he is selling rainbows & unicorns.
  • Reply 27 of 135
    foggyhill wrote: »

Maybe, the phone is simply not the best use of those personal assistant. Having they on cue on the watch is probably a better use case.

Well, they have it there. Don't they.
  • Reply 28 of 135
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member

I use Siri a lot and I hate to say it... but he's right. Aside from playing music or setting reminders and alarms or other simple tasks... Siri is pretty much useless. For example, I asked for driving directions to Alderney Road once and I was less than a kilometre away from Alderney Drive (oops). Instead of realizing my error based on my context and questioning me, she gave me directions to f**king Alabama... 2000 miles away. And once Siri gets off track it's infuriating. Once I asked it to play a playlist and it thought I asked it to make a phone call for some reason. And she just wouldn't get off the phone call thing. I kept saying "No, play my driving playlist" and she actually replied "Sorry, I can't find 'no play my driving playlist' in your Contacts". Yup, great product you have there Apple. What happened to not releasing things until they were ready?

• Reply 29 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Siri could be better.  A LOT better.

The thing I dislike about Siri is that voice dialing and music playback are not local functions. You have to be in a good signal area for the request to be sent to the servers and back. Ridiculous.

I've turned Siri off and just use Voice Control.

• Reply 30 of 135
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Siri could be better.  A LOT better.

The thing I dislike about Siri is that voice dialing and music playback are not local functions. You have to be in a good signal area for the request to be sent to the servers and back. Ridiculous.

I've turned Siri off and just use Voice Control.

Couldn't agree more. Pisses me off.

Other than that, my main use of Siri is in conjunction with Maps for driving directions. Works out properly about 50-60% of the time.

• Reply 31 of 135
    Bring it.
  • Reply 33 of 135
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Three things,

1). WTF is Slack?

2). They just hired their first data scientist. LOL

3). Why is AI reporting this?

I was about to make a comment regarding this,

There's something I've noticed in the tech industry:

Insult Apple to get free press.

• Reply 34 of 135
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Put up, or shut up
  • Reply 35 of 135
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    What a classless blowhard. Don't you just love a guy who wasn't in the fight telling you how he would've won had he been in it?
  • Reply 36 of 135
    Apple initially gets it going out there better than any one else, but then lets others catch up or even overtake them.

Sad, but true. And I find Siri getting worse and worse lately. It used to give me direct answers much of the time, but now just sends me to a web search for those same queries. And heaven help you if any word in your query matches a movie in current release or a name in your contacts!
  • Reply 37 of 135
    Since Apple has partnered with IBM, I'm wondering if Siri has been introduced to Watson yet? Would they make a good couple?
  • Reply 38 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

20-30%

20-30%

20-30%

20-30% 

Twenty to thirty percent?

OK, Butterfield, you get to work on that. I'll believe it when I see it.

If using Slack (corporate IRC) eliminates one group meeting a day, that's easily 20-30%. Go ask anybody who's worked at a company how easy it is to blow an hour and a half on a meeting.

• Reply 39 of 135

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.  I've never heard of Slack before this article -- and now, I know I haven't missed much.

• Reply 40 of 135
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

If using Slack (corporate IRC) eliminates one group meeting a day, that's easily 20-30%.

I didn't think it was talking about the eliminating the meetings themselves, but rather the act of setting up the meeting, something that takes like, three clicks right now. I'm not great at reading comprehension, nor am I a project manager, so what do I know.