Google launches OnHub Wi-Fi router, delays 'Ara' modular phone tests to 2016

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    techlover wrote: »
    <anecdote> I have two desktops, 2 xbox's (yeah I know, make fun if you will) and a laptop that I will use ethernet if I am going to be working for any length of time. That eats up all 5 of the ports available on my router. </anecdote> 

That being said you are probably right. Most devices and most people use wireless anymore. 

Also you can expect tons of anti-Google sentiment on the forums for an Apple fan site. I switched to 8.8.8.8 for my DNS and it is lightyears better than my ISP's DNS. 

People like to say things like "Google only cares about your data" and I like to say "yes, yes indeed they do". In the decade or so I have been using Googles services they have never ever, not one time lost or deleted any of my data. I wish I could say the same for other companies including Apple who has managed to bork my contacts and other data on more than one occasion. And Dropbox, looking at you Dropbox -_-

Switch to opendns, much faster and more reliable (at least in the uk). You can also sign up for a home account and block a whole load of stuff including google ads and metric tracking. This cleans 99% of the crap adverts that appear on websites for devices that don't have ad blockers.(you can also block adverts on the Xbox although I'm not sure if MS still run ads on 360 as I'm on Xbox one now)
  • Reply 62 of 64
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    All entirely laugh-worthy... if not so disgusting:

1. "Future proof". Not in the computer industry. Not in rank capitalism where built-in obsolescence is demanded by the shareholders demanding perpetual growth.

2. Won't collect user data. Just like they never did before. That's Google's core business.

3. Modular cell phones, so we can have cell phones that are just as inconsistent and incompatible with parts "made for" it as the voodoo world of custom PC builds.

Yes I'm hateful. My data drive died tonight. Most data was backed up, I think, but this is the second time the DATA drive (not the OS drive) has died in this custom built PC. We are talking scraping platters here. In a temperature-controlled room. The younger of multiple drives. So much for Seagate reliability.

Every time I open the damn thing, I am disgusted at how monstrous the components are, how much power they consume, how likely I am to be injured doing "simple maintenance", and how archaic it all is.

Put out a Mac Pro with retina support already, Apple, so I can throw this piece of garbage away.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

All entirely laugh-worthy... if not so disgusting:

1. "Future proof". Not in the computer industry. Not in rank capitalism where built-in obsolescence is demanded by the shareholders demanding perpetual growth.

2. Won't collect user data. Just like they never did before. That's Google's core business.

3. Modular cell phones, so we can have cell phones that are just as inconsistent and incompatible with parts "made for" it as the voodoo world of custom PC builds.

Yes I'm hateful. My data drive died tonight. Most data was backed up, I think, but this is the second time the DATA drive (not the OS drive) has died in this custom built PC. We are talking scraping platters here. In a temperature-controlled room. The younger of multiple drives. So much for Seagate reliability.

Every time I open the damn thing, I am disgusted at how monstrous the components are, how much power they consume, how likely I am to be injured doing "simple maintenance", and how archaic it all is.

Put out a Mac Pro with retina support already, Apple, so I can throw this piece of garbage away.

1. True, however "Future Proof" in the IT industry also means "I'll have popp'd a critical component or become bloated as hell to the point I no longer run nicely and you have to replace me anyways before a piece of tech comes out which throws me behind a reasonable amount that people would upgrade"

3. I love the whole concept of Project Ara, however I can't see it really taking off how they think that it will. The samsung S series and HTC, over here in the UK, are popular devices because they have a flashy name on them, and more than reasonable components inside them in terms of performance. I have a friends old Samsung S2 right now (My phone died a horrible death and she was on the verge of upgrading so let me have it when she did, Thank god for good friends!) and in a years time it will probably need replacing in order to keep up, as a techy, I'd love the art of comparing a few dozen components, "here's my budget, do I really need a 20MP camera, errm, No, I'll just go for a 16MP and splash the savings on a better SOC(, etc, etc)", yet, I can imagine all my friends will just go for the latest line from HTC or Samsung because it's easy and doesn't mean trying to run around understanding what everything means to put together something that in the end doesn't work too well for them because they didn't understand the importance of component X.

I mean, there are some benefits to it, if it's out when I plan to upgrade it will definitely be a contender, however I can picture the onslaught of lack of app support with CPU model x and Component model x causing endless problems, Android is already partially a mess in terms of incompatibilities between certain apps and devices, hopefully using an OS more closer to stock will make this less of an occurrence in terms of vender introduced bugs.

Also, Seagate reliability is a lie, I used to have a 12 year old Seagate drive that was still clunking away, however Seagate just aren't as reliable as they used to be. (Check out the study done by BackBlaze and other reports on the issues with Seagate over the past few years)