Apple announces repair program for blurry iPhone 6 Plus cameras

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    What part does apple manufacture on the iphone?

[@]tzeshan[/@] is just following the Rules of the Troll™:
    • When paying complements, name the component makers (Samsung, LG, Intel, Sony). When criticizing or blaming, only name Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    just_me wrote: »

[@]tzeshan[/@] is just following the Rules of the Troll™:
    • When paying complements, name the component makers (Samsung, LG, Intel, Sony). When criticizing or blaming, only name Apple.

If you're going to take credit for the good, then you have to own up to the bad.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    just_me wrote: »

You mean you don't know? Let's ask Foxconn, see if they know which parts Apple "manufactures".

But of course, you are missing my original point. I'll simplify: Apple put there name on it, and Apple supports it, so in the end, Apple gets all the praise and all the blame, period. It's called being consistent. Trolls aren't consistent. They shift arguments to score a "win" in debate. One of the most subtle ways they do this is to praise Samsung (or some other major component supplier) for making the iPhone awesome, yet when there's blame to go around, they never mention Apple's suppliers. They loathe to hear praise of Apple. They know who they are.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    shstrang98 wrote: »
    So if they're replacing the camera and not the entire phone then how long are we doing to have to be without our phones? Can the repair be done quickly in an Apple store?

I guess we're just out of luck and responsible for finding a lpaner while the phone is shipped off to who knows where for repair.

This would come under the category of piss poor customer service. The profit margin is bound to be great on these devices.
    Isn't it worth it to keep good will with a loyal customer base to ensure more business in the future?

What makes you think you have to ship in your phone? I read the article and the understanding I walked away with was that this repair will be done "while you wait". It's not clear (from the article) whether they will replace the camera or replace the phone - but there's also nothing to indicate that you will have to be without your phone for any period of time at all!

Your conclusions are idiotic - especially when your post begins by asking questions you do not know the answer to... Why don't you call Apple Support and ask them for the details on this repair before you just assume the worst? For a lot of other products, from a lot of other companies, it might be reasonable to assume the worst - but for the top-rated company in the world for customer service - it would be reasonable to expect the opposite. By assuming the worst, without any evidence to back it up, you have made it obvious that you are just trolling and that your entire post can be ignored.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shstrang98 View Post

So if they're replacing the camera and not the entire phone then how long are we doing to have to be without our phones? Can the repair be done quickly in an Apple store?

I guess we're just out of luck and responsible for finding a lpaner while the phone is shipped off to who knows where for repair.

This would come under the category of piss poor customer service. The profit margin is bound to be great on these devices.

Isn't it worth it to keep good will with a loyal customer base to ensure more business in the future?

Repairs are made on-site.  Friends of mine with the same problem had their iPhone 6+ repaired while they waited.  Total repair-time, about 15 minutes.

If you don't leave near an Apple store, well then... that's a different story.

• Reply 46 of 67
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member

IMO the 6+ was rushed to market before it was really ready.  My wife loved hers at first, but had to take it to Apple twice for repairs and twice more to have it straight up replaced.  My 6 has been just as expected, rock solid. 

For anyone doubting, her issues were the whistling vibration motor ("repaired" once and then replaced) and then a dying screen on the replaced one (dead bar of pixels across the top, "repaired" once and then replaced).  Now it doesn't ring/vibrate/alert when a call comes in about 25% of the time, but just going to tough it out and replace when possible.  I think her next phone I will lose the "stay on Apple or I can't help you troubleshot" battle. 

• Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Repairs are made on-site.  Friends of mine with the same problem had their iPhone 6+ repaired while they waited.  Total repair-time, about 15 minutes.

If you don't leave near an Apple store, well then... that's a different story.

Did the 15 minutes include the time waiting after their appointment?  That's the part that annoys me, having taken my wifes 6+ in the first time.  1:30pm appointment, so I check in at 1:25pm.  Stand by the table for 20 minutes before someone comes by.  20 minutes later a new phone is sent out.  My 20 minute appointment took almost an hour.  That's worse response time than my Dr office. 

• Reply 48 of 67
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    airnerd wrote: »

Did the 15 minutes include the time waiting after their appointment?  That's the part that annoys me, having taken my wifes 6+ in the first time.  1:30pm appointment, so I check in at 1:25pm.  Stand by the table for 20 minutes before someone comes by.  20 minutes later a new phone is sent out.  My 20 minute appointment took almost an hour.  That's worse response time than my Dr office. 

I'm sure there can be delays since they will stay with the customer if something takes longer than normal, but my experience is that they see me pretty much on time, if not a little early if I am there.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You mean you don't know? Let's ask Foxconn, see if they know which parts Apple "manufactures".

But of course, you are missing my original point. I'll simplify: Apple put there name on it, and Apple supports it, so in the end, Apple gets all the praise and all the blame, period. It's called being consistent. Trolls aren't consistent. They shift arguments to score a "win" in debate. One of the most subtle ways they do this is to praise Samsung (or some other major component supplier) for making the iPhone awesome, yet when there's blame to go around, they never mention Apple's suppliers. They loathe to hear praise of Apple. They know who they are.

• Reply 50 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I'm sure there can be delays since they will stay with the customer if something takes longer than normal, but my experience is that they see me pretty much on time, if not a little early if I am there.

Oh I understand that, and same with when my Dr is delayed.  It's just annoying when I actually get an appt over lunch and then spend the entire time in their store.  At least there is more to look at and play with than in a Dr office.  lol

• Reply 51 of 67
    Oh I understand that, and same with when my Dr is delayed.  It's just annoying when I actually get an appt over lunch and then spend the entire time in their store.  At least there is more to look at and play with than in a Dr office.  lol

Absolutely, it's annoying. I try to plan for such contingencies so I can still feel productive in those downtimes — which also helps to make the waiting seem shorter — but it's still an inconvenience. I suggest that if this happened recently to register a mild complaint with Apple, or if it happens again to register your complaint. Every now and then I get an email asking me to take a survey (below), but if you don't just call the store number which should get you to the national call center. I honestly think Apple wants this aspect of their service to be smooth and fast, especially if it's during a lunch hour as this is sort of service not only helps sell devices but keeps customers in their camp.

I'd have linked to the survey site but the address for the button is specifically set to my credentials and appointment.

PS: Did you know they will restore any Intel-based Mac. That's 2007, I think. I found this out because I inquired about getting a PPC Mac restored without grabbing a torrent of Leopard, then buying and burning a DL-DVD, but I can't fault them for not supporting a Mac that old.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I had similar problem with my iPhone 5S with the right half of the photo being blurry. I got it replaced at the Apple Store.

No, not the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tknull View Post

I noticed a month ago that my photos have a small circle that is slightly blurry in the right middle of all images... so i guess this is the reason?

No, not the same.

The issue isn't with the camera as such, it's the optical image stabilization. The device moves the camera to negate any movement from the person holding it. However, when this isn't working correctly, the OIS unnecessarily moves the camera when it doesn't need to which creates a blurred photo.

One of the OIS solenoids (for want of a better word) has the hiccups.

• Reply 53 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Absolutely, it's annoying. I try to plan for such contingencies so I can still feel productive in those downtimes — which also helps to make the waiting seem shorter — but it's still an inconvenience. I suggest that if this happened recently to register a mild complaint with Apple, or if it happens again to register your complaint. Every now and then I get an email asking me to take a survey (below), but if you don't just call the store number which should get you to the national call center. I honestly think Apple wants this aspect of their service to be smooth and fast, especially if it's during a lunch hour as this is sort of service not only helps sell devices but keeps customers in their camp.

I'd have linked to the survey site but the address for the button is specifically set to my credentials and appointment.

PS: Did you know they will restore any Intel-based Mac. That's 2007, I think. I found this out because I inquired about getting a PPC Mac restored without grabbing a torrent of Leopard, then buying and burning a DL-DVD, but I can't fault them for not supporting a Mac that old.

The geniuses weren't huddled in the corner joking around, they were working so I don't feel the need to complain.  It's just an annoyance, but won't stop me from using their product or service.  Also, my go-to "at least I can still be productive" is my phone.  When I was there with my wife's phone there was no issue I was still emailing and keeping up.  if it were my own phone, that would have been really bad. 

• Reply 54 of 67
    The geniuses weren't huddled in the corner joking around, they were working so I don't feel the need to complain.  It's just an annoyance, but won't stop me from using their product or service.  Also, my go-to "at least I can still be productive" is my phone.  When I was there with my wife's phone there was no issue I was still emailing and keeping up.  if it were my own phone, that would have been really bad. 

If it's a one-time occurrence, then sure, but if this happens every time you have an appointment then it behooves you, every customer to that store, and Apple to let them know. I'm saying the employees aren't working or aren't competent, it could simply be they are understaffed for the number of people needing support. They surely know by looking at their numbers, but an actual concern by a customer can do a lot to get things done. Remember that email Tim Cook got about the hold music quality of their call center?

* Sure, it's technically a complaint and the word difference is 100% semantics, but tone can make all the difference in the world.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    tenly wrote: »
    What makes you think you have to ship in your phone? I read the article and the understanding I walked away with was that this repair will be done "while you wait". It's not clear (from the article) whether they will replace the camera or replace the phone - but there's also nothing to indicate that you will have to be without your phone for any period of time at all!

Your conclusions are idiotic - especially when your post begins by asking questions you do not know the answer to... Why don't you call Apple Support and ask them for the details on this repair before you just assume the worst? For a lot of other products, from a lot of other companies, it might be reasonable to assume the worst - but for the top-rated company in the world for customer service - it would be reasonable to expect the opposite. By assuming the worst, without any evidence to back it up, you have made it obvious that you are just trolling and that your entire post can be ignored.

Not exactly sure what your problem is or why you couldn't just answer the question instead but apparently you found it necessary to be complete cylindrical steak.
    You're about as helpful as terminal cancer.

To others that simply responded, thank you.
    And yes Apple does have excellent products and they're worth every penny.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

My iPhone qualifies, yet it's always taken great pictures. I wonder if I should take it in now, or just wait until it fails, since it's covered for 3 years anyway.

Quick question: How did you get 3 years of coverage? Through a third party?  AppleCare+ only extends the warranty to two years. 

• Reply 57 of 67
    no25no25 Posts: 16member

Apple it charging my $29 for the repair and put a hold on my credit card for the price of the phone

• Reply 58 of 67
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    IMO the 6+ was rushed to market before it was really ready.  My wife loved hers at first, but had to take it to Apple twice for repairs and twice more to have it straight up replaced.  My 6 has been just as expected, rock solid. 

For anyone doubting, her issues were the whistling vibration motor ("repaired" once and then replaced) and then a dying screen on the replaced one (dead bar of pixels across the top, "repaired" once and then replaced).  Now it doesn't ring/vibrate/alert when a call comes in about 25% of the time, but just going to tough it out and replace when possible.  I think her next phone I will lose the "stay on Apple or I can't help you troubleshot" battle. 
    I was all set to tell you that I've been using a 6+ since day 1 and it is rock solid and that I haven't had a single issue with it...but then I came to the part where you said that it doesn't "ring/vibrate/alert" some of the time - and damn it - I've been having the same problem too!!! I thought it was corrupt ringtones that were responsible - or just me not hearing it - but now that I've seen your post - I'm sure I'm having the same problem. Did you talk to Apple support about the alerting issue? If so...what did they say/do for you? Did this issue occur on all of the 6 pluses that you've been through? Does it ever occur on your 6?
  • Reply 59 of 67
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    cm477 wrote: »

Quick question: How did you get 3 years of coverage? Through a third party?  AppleCare+ only extends the warranty to two years.
    Most mobile providers also offer insurance on top of the manufacturers guarantee and franchise stores also offer extended warranties. Though all of the mobile providers here have restricted the number of times a person can get their iPhone display fixed to just twice a year.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tenly View Post

I was all set to tell you that I've been using a 6+ since day 1 and it is rock solid and that I haven't had a single issue with it...but then I came to the part where you said that it doesn't "ring/vibrate/alert" some of the time - and damn it - I've been having the same problem too!!! I thought it was corrupt ringtones that were responsible - or just me not hearing it - but now that I've seen your post - I'm sure I'm having the same problem. Did you talk to Apple support about the alerting issue? If so...what did they say/do for you? Did this issue occur on all of the 6 pluses that you've been through? Does it ever occur on your 6?

I don't have the issue on my 6.  When she called Apple about it they suggested backup/restore.  She did that and so far so good.