Rumor: Apple might rent out new San Francisco space for iPhone event

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm going to ridicule it to if they do something so foolish. There are plenty of third party accessories for the people that really feel like they need that. For 99% of people and daily interaction, its unnecessary junk.

Meh" Photoshop has "pen support" and it comes in damn handy, so simply some iOS support for digital pens won't strike me as a big deal: now some PALM era stylus and carrying slot? Now that would get my eyebrows raised: not that I didn't love my Tungsten PDA slider a couple decades back....

• Reply 62 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, I have the Pencil by Fifty-Three.

I have one of theirs too - it was one of the first batch. It works - sure, and if i could sketch cartoons it might be ok, but for writing notes / small technical hand drawings, circuits, mechanical details, and annotating a web clip its just sad. A good stylus will have to be integrated at the OS level, for consistency throughout relevant apps.

• Reply 63 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

A good stylus will have to be integrated at the OS level, for consistency throughout relevant apps.

True, however the reason is that iOS does not allow any third party drivers like OS X does. For example Wacom tablets require drivers so that any application that wants to implement Wacom functionality has support at the system level. Whether or not Apple delivers a stylus, it would be nice to have a quality digitizer and support for the Wacom stylus options, which are widely considered class leading technology.

• Reply 64 of 64
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

True, however the reason is that iOS does not allow any third party drivers like OS X does. For example Wacom tablets require drivers so that any application that wants to implement Wacom functionality has support at the system level. Whether or not Apple delivers a stylus, it would be nice to have a quality digitizer and support for the Wacom stylus options, which are widely considered class leading technology.

I loved my Wacom stylus: in the mid nineties I actually dumped my mouse altogether and just used a small Wacom tablet: tended to confuse the hell out of anyone who had to borrow my desktop... But my desk was crowded and my monitor rather large, so scurrying a mouse around enough to get all over the screen was a pain, with the tablet I got corner to corner mapping in a defined area. Much nicer. I had a larger tablet for actual graphics but the small one was an ideal mouse substitute IMHO.