Rumor: Apple might rent out new San Francisco space for iPhone event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    They're removing most of the seats and installing an indoor track to demo the Apple Car.

Like this: ? ;)
  • Reply 22 of 64
    solipsismy wrote: »
    My problem with the Apple Car will be the NYTimes inevitable headline: Apple finally adopts windows¡

You mean before or after the article "10 reasons why an apple ar will fail"?
  • Reply 23 of 64
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...  Apple might have rented out the massive space for its annual iPhone event.

Probably cheaper than building another temporary popup demo space near Flint Center.

Then again, I hear that renting in SF is pretty expensive these days.

• Reply 24 of 64
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

My problem with the Apple Car will be the NYTimes inevitable headline: Apple finally adopts windows¡

And the Start Button.  "Finally."

• Reply 25 of 64
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Are you saying you think there'll be "one more thing"? Can't be, or they'll have to pay fees to Swatch!

there would be no fees to pay to Swatch, its a trademark not a copyrighted work.

If Swatch had a problem with it then good luck in court. And since it has no trademark in the US it would be hard to actually make a case

• Reply 26 of 64
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    What about a 'spoiler' event put on by the Competition? Just to take the press away from the iPhone launch.
    Any reduction in press coverage could hit Apple hard in the pocket and depress the share price even more.
    A 'Meh', 'so what' event from Apple is just what the others in the market want. Because of the time we are in the product cycle then most of the tech press already know that. Besides many of them just take the press release and put a wrapper around it. They really don't need to be there.
    Having an alternative shindig to attend would give them something new to write about.

Just a thought.
    At the same time the only competition that would do that would be Samsung which already announced its new flagships this month to be ahead of the iPhone and their logo wouldn't fit in that star thing... So it's very unlikely, also because they, as the biggest Apple competitor, wouldn't fill that space easily. It's already gonna be interesting if Apple does indeed use this space as its gigantic so a less press attractive competitor, unlikely.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    I'm the only one thinking iTunes Festival for the first time in US?
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:

Are you saying you think there'll be "one more thing"? Can't be, or they'll have to pay fees to Swatch!

Perhaps after a friendlyt word with the remaining Pythons he could use

"and now for something completely different".

Let's see Swatch try to trademark that one.

• Reply 29 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    documents show plans to replace or modify four building windows facing Grove Street with 15-foot logos shaped in what appears to be a warped star. Looking at mock-up drawings, an Apple logo would indeed fit well over a subframe shaped to support a five-pointed star.
    Or maybe this is sog's budget phone. But not a PeachPhone, a StarFruitPhone!
  • Reply 30 of 64

So, , , , if it is Apple, , , , do they need the seats, or do they need the space, or both? How far in advance would you need to "invite" 7000 people? It could easily be much more than an iPhone update; all the normal "buzz", rumors, and hype over the iPhone develops  a rather large "smoke screen" that could easily hide lots of other products, all most as "in plain sight".

• Reply 31 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    marklajer wrote: »

Hasn't it already been held in the US a couple years ago?
  • Reply 32 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Of POSSIBLE interest...

John C. Dvorak was on This Week In Tech with Leo Laporte on Sunday. He said he went to dinner with Burt Monroy (sp?) an Apple old timer, who still works there, and Monroy's wife told John that "later this year you're gonna have plenty to write about and it's gonna be hilarious".... referring to some upcoming Apple product announcement. Dvorak interpreted the comment as being that Apple would announce a product that he would be able to ridicule.

This I find intriguing.
    Probably an iPad with pen support. The competition will ridicule that. I'm sure Microsoft has ads ready to go.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    "later this year you're gonna have plenty to write about and it's gonna be hilarious"
    Please don't be another "Eddy Cue is uncool" comedy skit.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkLajer View Post

They held an event at the last SXSW in Austin, TX. But I have to agree that more than likely it'll be part of the Apple Music Festival. The London series was shrunk from the entire month of September to just 10 days - the second half of the month, so I am also thinking that they're spreading the festival around the world in order to promote Apple Music.

• Reply 35 of 64
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    John C. Dvorak was on This Week In Tech with Leo Laporte on Sunday. He said he went to dinner with Burt Monroy (sp?) an Apple old timer, who still works there, and Monroy's wife told John that "later this year you're gonna have plenty to write about and it's gonna be hilarious".... referring to some upcoming Apple product announcement. Dvorak interpreted the comment as being that Apple would announce a product that he would be able to ridicule.

that hack still has a keyboard? ever since pcmag destroyed their own website I haven't even been able to find his column of questionable worth.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    The 's' iPhones aren't typically ground-breaking, which suggests that this time around, the Apple TV might be worthy of media attention. The secrecy could be because some of the content contracts have yet to be signed, with both sides playing the brinksmanship game.

On the other hand, this rumor might be wrong and the rental have nothing to do with Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    thinking dre will be on stage? saying **** the police?
  • Reply 38 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    that hack still has a keyboard? ever since pcmag destroyed their own website I haven't even been able to find his column of questionable worth.

It was the fact that he cited his sources and hinted that even THEY were rolling their eyes over whatever Apple had planned that struck me. Plus, he really emphasized the words "hilarious" and "ridicule".
  • Reply 39 of 64
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Oi... Iovine reads Nietzsche would be painful, I think. He's nice to listen to when he's relaxed, but when he starts speaking formally he seems to get this odd cadence to his speech and an almost Christopher Walken-like "emPHAsis" to his words.

Having Christopher Walken introduce Apple products would be absolutely glorious.

• Reply 40 of 64
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Probably an iPad with pen support. The competition will ridicule that. I'm sure Microsoft has ads ready to go.

I'm going to ridicule it to if they do something so foolish. There are plenty of third party accessories for the people that really feel like they need that. For 99% of people and daily interaction, its unnecessary junk.