Samsung's Gear S2 smartwatch features circular face, rotating bezel control

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Ha! Android phones suffer because it was originally designed for buttons, only to be shoehorned into a touchscreen device. So Samsung started creating Tizen, an OS designed specifically for touch screen inputs and then they shoehorn it into a device with buttons and a physical controller.
  • Reply 22 of 134

Very happy to see it's not a copy.  It's not as good as an Apple watch, but they get a few points for not making a knockoff.

• Reply 23 of 134
    rogifan wrote: »
    I have no issues with the digital crown though I admit I don't use it all the time.

I too rarely use the crown, except a double-press to switch screens or a single-long press to activate Siri.
  • Reply 24 of 134
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,725member

I like the rotating crown idea, but round watches are not screen efficient.  Any square watch of the same diameter will always have more area for the screen.

Hopefully, it's not as thick as all those other awful android watches.  One thing the AW has going for itself is its beauty.

• Reply 25 of 134
    mac_128 wrote: »
    The ?Watch is 12.2mm thick for the 38mm watch and 12.46mm thick for the 42mm. Apple does not include the the bottom sensor array in their measurements. This is verified in Apple's official schematics of the watch:

https://developer.apple.com/watch/bands/Band-Design-Guidelines-for-Apple-Watch.pdf

So, do the others include all of their protrusions (e.g., sensors) in their measurements?
  • Reply 26 of 134
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    I have to give it to samesong, they actually went with their own design. They took a different rout so to speak. Let's see how it works for them, but if they don't open it up to be compatible with more phones, specially iPhone, I don't see it doing well. Samesong doesn't have what Apple have, I don't think they can take the luxury to lock the gear to just galaxy and note. I'm not buying one, but is good to have competition.
  • Reply 27 of 134
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Not sure how this is 'taking a cue from Apple' when every other wearable also includes fitness apps.

Hopefully turning the bezel the other way won't break the watch …
  • Reply 28 of 134
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Let's see how the bezel works in practice. In any case, it's interesting to see how Samsung gets 2-3 days out of a battery about 25% bigger than the one in the 38mm Apple Watch. Are they using a 14nm processor? If so, it suggests Apple will be able to do the same when they switch over to 14nm.

The 42nm can already get 2 days easy even in normal usage, 3-4 days in light usage  (that's about the size of that watch's battery. So, it is unlikely to be 14nm.

BTW, this watch looks CHEAP.

• Reply 29 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So, do the others include all of their protrusions (e.g., sensors) in their measurements?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levi View Post

It actually looks fairly nice, though Tizen will be an issue (will likely only work with newer Samsung models). They'll probably screw up the UI and UX too. Best looking non Apple smart watch yet.

Nice? It looks hellishly cheap even in marketing shots (not a good sign)...

• Reply 30 of 134
    levilevi Posts: 344member

To each his own I guess. It seems like a fairly streamlined design to me. Quite happy w/ my stainless steel link Apple Watch though.

• Reply 31 of 134
    sog35 wrote: »
    They ignored smaller watch sizes because they dont have the tech to make the internals small enough

You're joking, right? Samsung makes all the tiny internal components that other manufacturers use to make small devices.
  • Reply 32 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So you have the Gear S2 with you?

Its better that you hold judgement until you actually use it. Or else it makes you look like a Troll.

I don't think he's used the Apple Watch either. The Apple Watch digital crown moves very easily, unlike the crown on some watches. I have a crown and rotating bezel on my traditional "aviator" watch: both are stiff to turn. The bezel is also a slide rule. Funny thing is, with "Hey Siri" enabled, it's easier to (hands free) ask Siri to do whatever math you would normally use the slide rule for, including logarithms. You can also simply ask Siri for the current time in whatever major city. What do I need a rotating bezel for?

• Reply 33 of 134

1.  It's based on Tizen?  No software = DOA.  

2.  With WatchOS 2 in less than 10 days Samsung can't compete vapor ware.

3.  The rotating bezel is a huge mechanical part for a for the watch that will likely break.

Time will tell.

• Reply 34 of 134
    rayz wrote: »

Hopefully turning the bezel the other way won't break the watch …

The arrow depicted from their patent filing shown in the first post above seems to indicate it moves in both directions.
  • Reply 35 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

It looks like a $50 Timex.

• Reply 36 of 134
    foggyhill wrote: »

Agreed.
  • Reply 37 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

1.  It's based on Tizen?  No software = DOA.  

2.  With WatchOS 2 in less than 10 days Samsung can't compete vapor ware.

3.  The rotating bezel is a huge mechanical part for a for the watch that will likely break.

Time will tell.

Yes, the bezel adds a lot of wrapping to the watch, unless they're stuffing the battery in there its just wasted space and a potential breakage point.  sealing that long moving slot on both side, and keeping the grit and dirt out will be a challenge long term. The tiny apple button on the watch stuck with sweat and dirt, I can only imagine what will happen here.

• Reply 38 of 134
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I've seen Casios less than $50 that looked better.

• Reply 39 of 134
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Circular? There's a reason phone, pad and computer screens aren't circular.
  • Reply 40 of 134
    rayz wrote: »
    Not sure how this is 'taking a cue from Apple' when every other wearable also includes

Here's something that took a cue from Apple: the time on the samesung watches shows 10:08 instead of apple's 10:09! They just can't help themselves.