Samsung's Gear S2 smartwatch features circular face, rotating bezel control

Comments

• Reply 61 of 134
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    blitz1 wrote: »
    Nobody mentionning 2 - 3 days autonomy?
    Nobody referring to the ability to make a call?

Let's wait and see what battery life is when people start actually using the device. Also I think it has BT 4.1 which would help in the battery life department.
  • Reply 62 of 134
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    tenly wrote: »
    There is no good *FUNCTIONAL* reason to create a round *digital* watch. The only reason to do so is because "some" people find it more fashionable - and although there are a lot of those people - I think they are a minority.

We keep hearing about how nobody wears watches anymore. If that's the case then obviously people aren't wedded to the traditional watch as a fashion statement. And the ones that are probably wouldn't be interested in a smart watch knockoff anyway. If you look at some of the press shots from LG and Huawei it seems clear they're targeting those who wear traditional watches. That makes no sense to me. I can't see someone who wears an expensive mechanical watch swapping it out for one of their cheap knockoffs. I think it's better to target people who wear nothing on their wrist and I'm not convinced those people will only wear something on their wrist if it's round.
  • Reply 63 of 134
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,010member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Plenty finish the day at 50-60% (including 2 of my friends), which would take you till the end of the second day.
    So, you're usage is higher than them. Myself, waiting to buy the new Iphone before going for the watch.
    But, really, even you, putting on the charger for 20-30 minutes (while showering?) would get you to the end of the second day.

It charges all night and while I'm showering in the am, then it's on from 7 am till 11 pm. No way two days straight without charging.
  • Reply 64 of 134
    peschiera wrote: »

Somehow I don't get you guys! You don't really read the posts, do you?
    A summary:
    - Rogifan assumed rotating bezel would cover the screen when beig used.
    - I challenged this and argued that (physical) access to the bezel is easier becuse it is on the top.
    - He asked how I could know this
    - I told him that I have both on my analog watch (remark for you: (physical) access has nothing to do with digital or analog watches)
    - He told that he had no issues with the crown so far.
    - And I answered exactly this:

So, please enlighten me by pointing to my wrong facts and to my flawed conclusions.

You can practice on your wrist with any watch...if you're grasping the bezel with your thumb and forefinger, once you turn about 15-20 degrees of arc, one of your fingers begins to cross over a portion of the face
  • Reply 65 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

You can practice on your wrist with any watch...if you're grasping the bezel with your thumb and forefinger, once you turn about 15-20 degrees of arc, one of your fingers begins to cross over a portion of the face

It really depends on how you do it.

Also it could be that the bezel on S2 can be used with one finger as well.

Samsung team has been working on this watch far more than one year, maybe 2 years already. I simply assum that they had enough time to test every aspect in the meantime.

• Reply 66 of 134
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    thrang wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if the bezel can be turned with one finger rather than needing a grip on two sides. Heck I see folks driving a car with no more than that.
  • Reply 67 of 134
    peschiera wrote: »

It really depends on how you do it.
    Also it could be that the bezel on S2 can be used with one finger as well.
    Samsung team has been working on this watch far more than one year, maybe 2 years already. I simply assum that they had enough time to test every aspect in the meantime.

gatorguy wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if the bezel can be turned with one finger rather than needing a grip on two sides. Heck I see folks driving a car with no more than that.

It doesn't matter...put your forefinger at 3 pm and turn it counter clockwise to noon or 11 am...
  • Reply 68 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Nobody mentionning 2 - 3 days autonomy?

Nobody referring to the ability to make a call?

@blitz1 : doesn't fit the laughable narrative the writer is trying to fabricate : that Samsung is merely taking "cues" from Apple, so we don't talk about it. 

• Reply 69 of 134

It doesn't matter...put your forefinger at 3 pm and turn it counter clockwise to noon or 11 am...
    No sure what you're getting at. I can spin it in a continuous circle never lifting my finger. If you're worrying about some display covering thing my fingers are hardly fat enough to block the whole view of my current watch. Maybe yours are?
  • Reply 70 of 134
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Let's wait and see what battery life is when people start actually using the device. Also I think it has BT 4.1 which would help in the battery life department.

A bit like when Apple says 18h for "normal usage" (whatever that may mean)

• Reply 71 of 134
    gatorguy wrote: »
    No sure what you're getting at. I can spin it in a continuous circle never lifting my finger. If you're worrying about some display covering thing my fingers are hardly fat enough to block the whole view of my current watch. Maybe yours are?

It's simple ergonomics...unless you are contorting your finger around the circumference of the bezel, using your forefinger in a pointing motion to spin the bezel in the upper half will naturally cause your finger to cover a portion of the screen, which often won't make sense for a smart watch, where you're trying to see and interact with things. Only smaller motions from 3 or 9 o'clock downward will leave the face completely open

The digital crown is meant to leave the face completely visible, which it does.
  • Reply 72 of 134
    It's simple ergonomics...unless you are contorting your finger around the circumference of the bezel, using your forefinger in a pointing motion to spin the bezel in the upper half will naturally cause your finger to cover a portion of the screen, which often won't make sense for a smart watch, where you're trying to see and interact with things. Only smaller motions from 3 or 9 o'clock downward will leave the face completely open

The digital crown is meant to leave the face completely visible, which it does.
    I'd guess it's not the issue you think it will be, but once the few thousand they sell are out in the wild you'll know more about it. Personally I think it's a pretty good solution considering everyone here would be accusing them of copying Apple if they controlled it thru the crown as you typically would with watches. Of course many traditional watches offer some feature using a rotating bezel in addition to the crown so Sammy isn't unique in thinking of it.
  • Reply 73 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Hm.  For clockwise rotation my foreinger starts at 11 and stops between 2 and 3. And counterclockWise the opposite. Should I need to rotate more in the same direction, I repeat the same gesture several times.

• Reply 74 of 134
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Most probably can, but if you use one finger then it will obscure the screen at some point.

• Reply 75 of 134
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'd guess it's not the issue you think it will be, but once the few thousand they sell are out in the wild you'll know more about it. Personally I think it's a pretty good solution considering everyone here would be accusing them of copying Apple if they controlled it thru the crown as you typically would with watches. 

I don't think being accused (and found guilty) of copying is something Samsung worries too much about. Chances are that they think the bezel is the best solution, given that they've gone for a round watch face.

• Reply 76 of 134
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

No it isn't.

I know, right?  To me it's more reminiscent of the good ole' classic iPod scroll wheel, although that too is a stretch!

Thompson

• Reply 77 of 134
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sigma4life wrote: »
    All you have to do is flip the watch UI in settings. You can put the crown on either side you want. Problem solved.

But that isn't the issue I raised with my post. The ?Watch is designed to wear the digital crown in the upper right of the watch. I base this on the fact that there's not one marketing shot of the ?Watch in the other orientation. Clearly if Apple meant for the watch to be worn "upside down", there would be at least one major marketing shot from Apple showing it this way. But there isn't. So in order to keep the intended orientation on the wrist, the screen is necessarily blocked.

There's more to it as well, with the digital crown in the upper right corner of the watch, the right hand can rest on top of the left while using it. In the upside down position, it's difficult to rest the left hand on the right and operate the digital crown in the proper fashion.
  • Reply 78 of 134
    Ran across this video. I didn't originally notice that there will be a 3G version with calling capabilities.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 79 of 134
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    You could say the same thing about the Digital Crown. But do you leave your finger on the wheel as it goes all the way around? No, you lift your finger, and replace it, and continue scrolling. The exact same thing is true for the rotating bezel. Using a finger and a thumb gives you greater stability while using it, and allows the thumb to rotate the wheel by itself without any blocking of anything.
  • Reply 80 of 134
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Circular? There's a reason phone, pad and computer screens aren't circular.

True.  

But there's also a reason why most (not all) watches are circular: more people prefer the look.  Unlike phones, pads, and computers, watches are to be worn and therefore many people will consider the fashion element when purchasing.  So it's a battle of function versus fashion.  Function dictates rectangular, but fashion suggests that circular may be more popular.

I wouldn't be so quick to poo-poo the notion of a popular round smartwatch someday just because its shape isn't ideal for display.  Somebody is going to make a good one eventually, and if it takes off because people really like the look, than Apple may have to respond after-the-fact, just like they did when other smartphone vendors showed them that some people cared more about screen size than one-handed use.  Trade-offs happen all of the time, and Apple doesn't necessarily always pick the right trade-off first.

Update: for what it's worth, I would absolutely love a round smartwatch made with care by Apple.  I say this in spite of the fact that it would cause all kinds of trouble for third-party software developers, not to mention Apple themselves as they build their OS and bundled apps.