New 'iPhone 6s' photos reportedly confirm slightly larger design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    tenly wrote: »
    I don't see how this question has any relevance but WTF - I'll help the children!

Your inability to see the relevance of a ridiculously superficial survey question is the point.
    I sense that you're trying to be sarcastic here, but I think you've failed because I don't understand what your point is (not even a little bit). Tell the truth...were you drunk when you wrote this?

You honestly don't understand that the iPhone has typically become thinner and faster every couple years while also getting longer battery life?
  • Reply 22 of 57
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenly View Post

Thank you for trying to solve a problem that I don't have. I do use my phone much more often than most people, but I'll admit that since getting the Apple Watch, I'm not running out of juice in my phone nearly as often as before. Believe me - I'm not complaining about my phone or its battery. All I was saying was that if given a choice between a thinner phone and a phone with a battery that lasts longer, I would opt for the battery - and my opinion is that *if* given a choice between the two, the vast majority of users would also prefer a longer lasting battery. As for the daily topping off, I have plenty of opportunities to do so without permanently increasing the phones thickness with an ugly case. (Ie plugged into my computer at work, plugged into the car when driving home). I also have a portable 20,000maH battery pack...but thank you for the suggestion.

I don't see how this question has any relevance but WTF - I'd help the children! But that's completely off-topic. The fictional, non-existent survey I'm referring to had only a single question on it.

Again. Way off-topic. I sense that you're trying to be sarcastic here, but I think you've failed because I don't understand (not even a little bit) what point you are trying to make...? Tell the truth...were you drunk when you wrote this?

Companies like Apple DO KNOW if people prefer battery vs other factors, they don't need to guess (like you). They got a marketing department to help them get this info. They know exactly what makes their users tick. They're whole existence depends on it.

Also, other factors such as differiation with the competiton are part of the equation. Making something small is harder than making it bigger. Selling this, if it indeed is popular, not only increases sales, but reduces the chance of the competition being able to beat you on price or margins.

• Reply 23 of 57
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Your inability to see the relevance of a ridiculously superficial survey question is the point.
    You honestly don't understand that the iPhone has typically become thinner and faster every couple years while also getting longer battery life?
    I completely understand that. I still don't see how it is relevant to my earlier statements (because it's not!!!)
  • Reply 24 of 57
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Companies like Apple DO KNOW if people prefer battery vs other factors, they don't need to guess (like you). They got a marketing department to help them get this info. They know exactly what makes their users tick. They're whole existence depends on it.

Also, other factors such as differiation with the competiton are part of the equation. Making something small is harder than making it bigger. Selling this, if it indeed is popular, not only increases sales, but reduces the chance of the competition being able to beat you on price or margins.
    You're right that Apple knows what people want and prefer - but they haven't released that data and as your post goes on to say - there are more factors involved in what Apple actually delivers than simply what people want! I understand all that and I assume most other people do too. If you read the entire thread, my comments have never said "this is what Apple should do because it's the best thing for them as a company". It stated that my personal preference is for a phone with a longer lasting battery and I surmised that the vast majority of people would agree. As you've said in your post - Apple knows that too - but they have to balance that with a number of other competitive factors as well as the fact that batteries are heavy and an increase in battery size comes with a significant increase in weight which may put them at a disadvantage when comparing specifications with the competition.

It sounds like you're looking for an argument, but I don't disagree with anything you've stated in your last message. I do disagree with your original statement that the battery lasts long enough and of course the statement that sales data can provide any useful insight into this debate! In any case - knowing why Apple doesn't provide a bigger battery doesn't make me want one any less! :)
  • Reply 25 of 57
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Agreed.. The 6+ is rarely under 60% at the end of my day.. which starts at 5am and ends at 11pm. I'm actually very happy with battery life on my 6 Plus. 

Well the larger phone has room for a much larger battery. I think the 6 is already at the too big size even if i already had it for 4 months its still too big for me to have in the pocket. Well I live an active life and am on the move all the time and think the both 5:s sucked at the battery status. The 6 is not real improvement in that section. It´s just enough if you don´t use it that much to get through the day, but that´s not much to party about.... If i use it more during the day it will be sucked dry around 1700 hours, just IF you go home you can put it on the end of the power cord.

If I´m on the move I cant leave the USB battery pack home. Now THAT is a shame.

• Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenly View Post

You're right that Apple knows what people want and prefer - but they haven't released that data and as your post goes on to say - there are more factors involved in what Apple actually delivers than simply what people want! I understand all that and I assume most other people do too. If you read the entire thread, my comments have never said "this is what Apple should do because it's the best thing for them as a company". It stated that my personal preference is for a phone with a longer lasting battery and I surmised that the vast majority of people would agree. As you've said in your post - Apple knows that too - but they have to balance that with a number of other competitive factors as well as the fact that batteries are heavy and an increase in battery size comes with a significant increase in weight which may put them at a disadvantage when comparing specifications with the competition.

It sounds like you're looking for an argument, but I don't disagree with anything you've stated in your last message. I do disagree with your original statement that the battery lasts long enough and of course the statement that sales data can provide any useful insight into this debate! In any case - knowing why Apple doesn't provide a bigger battery doesn't make me want one any less! image

Well, the situation is superficial as nobody makes an Iphone with larger battery. You don´t know how many would make the choice of the larger battery. I definitely would, but I can´t! I mean I would have bought the 6 even if it had been the same thickness as the 5´s where.

• Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by habi View Post

Well, the situation is superficial as nobody makes an Iphone with larger battery. You don´t know how many would make the choice of the larger battery. I definitely would, but I can´t! I mean I would have bought the 6 even if it had been the same thickness as the 5´s where.

I dare Apple to make two models. One for those that wan´t to show of and those who prefer to use it all day!

• Reply 28 of 57
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

The thinner the phone is, the less material is used to make millions of phones. Keep the phone at the same price for years = massive profits.

The most annoying is the MacBook. Remove all of the ports, except for one. Keep it generally the same price and make the consumer pay for the external devices needed. Less ports, less engineering, thinner design = massive profits.

except Ive has stated time and again they design a product to be great; not to imaginary profit specs. they assume if they make great products the profits will follow.

that's how Apple rolls. if you don't get that, you don't get Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    I think a change in thickness is important. When Apple decided to bump the iPad 3 thickness it was a negative for me. In this case however with the small size of the phone and the minimal increase to thickness it should be a non issue for most. All this really does is explain that the spec has changed and some rationale why it has changed. Informative but not sure necessary.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Your post would seem to belie your "intelligence and credibility".

I have the 6+ and I'm impressed with the battery life. It's the best I've ever seen on an iPhone - but most days, I still have to top it up at some point to make it through the full day.

"Apple Sales" don't belie any part of this debate and it's truly an idiotic thing to say. The only way sales figures could help decide this would be if there were two nearly identical models with the only difference being that one of them was slightly thicker with an extra 20% battery life. If that were the case (and its not), you could compare sales of the 2 models to see what users compared. You are asserting that if people were to prefer a bigger battery over a thinner device, they wouldn't buy an iPhone. Do you really not hear how idiotic that premise is? I for one, would prefer a bigger battery over a slimmer phone - and I hope Apple delivers on that - but if they don't, it's not going to drive me into a hissy fit and make me go out and buy an Android device! LOL! Is that really the way you shop?

I'd be willing to bet that if a million current iPhone 6 users were surveyed and asked whether they wanted their next iPhone to be thinner or have a longer lasting battery - over 90% of them would say they wanted a bigger battery.

buy a battery case, problem solved. the rest of us for whom it is good enough don't need the bulk.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    If you read the entire thread, my comments have never said "this is what Apple should do because it's the best thing for them as a company". It stated that my personal preference is for a phone with a longer lasting battery and I surmised that the vast majority of people would agree.

which is why the iPhones battery life has increased every two years, as stated above. even while getting thinner. what part of that don't you get?
  • Reply 32 of 57
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

You posted the exact same thing a week ago. Its not new. The iPhone 6S is exactly the same, but with new material and structural improvements...leading to negligible dimension difference.

• Reply 33 of 57
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Hopefully this means no camera bump.

• Reply 34 of 57
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    which is why the iPhones battery life has increased every two years, as stated above. even while getting thinner. what part of that don't you get?
    I get all of it. What part don't you get when I say "*IF* I was given a choice, I would prefer that they do not make it any thinner and instead use the extra space for more battery!" LOL! You're arguing with me about a personal opinion regarding a hypothetical choice! You've got no business telling me my opinion is wrong. I'm a huge Apple fan and you're responding to me like I was a troll. What problem do you have with me expressing a personal opinion that is stated as an opinion? I didn't try to portray my opinion as fact - as so many others do. I *get* everything about what Apple does and why. The only thing I don't get is why you seem to have a problem with it and want to tell me I'm wrong. The only thing in my post that's up for debate is my supposition that the majority of people agree with me - but again - I didn't state that as fact. I stated it as an opinion (or as I phrased it exactly - as a "guess"... And on that topic, I'm happy to agree to disagree.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    My 5S is pretty close to dead by the end of the day with moderate use.

With heavy use, I have to recharge it during the day.

Do the iPhone 6/6 do better than the 5S in battery life?
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock2199 View Post

And after waiting the last 3 months to upgrade my phone (I was waiting for the 6s Plus) but after hearing all the rumors about it, I've decided (for the first time ever) the "S" model doesn't have enough cool, new features to make an upgrade worthwhile.

You might want to wait until the official announcement from Apple to make up your mind...

• Reply 37 of 57
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Hopefully this means no camera bump.

You mean the completely insignificant camera bump that has affected no one ever? I'm sure they're in a rush to 'fix' that. :no:

• Reply 38 of 57
    You might want to wait until the official announcement from Apple to make up your mind...

I thought about that. But lately, all the rumors about the features on an upcoming "S" iPhone have been pretty accurate, especially this close to time of event. The only one that was a real surprise to me was the addition of Siri on the 4s.

We all even knew what the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were going to look like well before that announcement, thanks to all the leaks. I had already made up my mind to buy the 6 before they even announced it, because it had a screen size I was more used to. But after using other peoples' 6 Plus, I fell in love with the screen size. And my girl friends gold one grew on me. So I finally broke down and bought the gold one.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    pmz wrote: »

You mean the completely insignificant camera bump that has affected no one ever? I'm sure they're in a rush to 'fix' that. :no:

The camera bump is actually a feature that makes the camera lens flush with the case that most people put their phone into. Without the bump, the lens is slightly recessed when the phone is in a case. This affects the amount of light collected and the quality of the pictures. So...thinner iPhone or thicker iPhone - the bump serves a purpose and it's doubtful it will ever go away.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Functionally insignificant? Yes. Aesthetically insignificant? No.