New 'iPhone 6s' photos reportedly confirm slightly larger design

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
A set of photos posted to the Web on Wednesday supposedly show a next-generation iPhone partially assembled from leaked parts being measured with a pair of calipers, revealing the device is slightly larger than current models in all dimensions.

As seen above, the device as measured with supposed iPhone 6s shell and display installed has a thickness of 7.08 millimeters, or 0.19mm thicker than the iPhone 6. The results published MacRumors appear to be congruent with multiple reports claiming Apple's upcoming handset will be a hair thicker than the iPhone 6.

Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in June that he expects a 0.2mm change in thickness for both the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, a modification made to accommodate embedded Force Touch sensors. AppleInsider's own sources expected Force Touch integration in February. There has also been speculation of a material upgrade to stronger 7000 series aluminum in a bid to avoid flexing, though it is unknown at this time if such a change affects device thickness.

Today's photos also reveal minute differences in height and width, with the new part measuring 138.19mm tall and 67.68mm wide. This compares to Apple's iPhone 6 specifications of 138.1mm and 67.0mm and is similar, but not identical, to measurements taken off another iPhone 6s shell "leaked" in August.

It is unclear if the slightly larger dimensions also apply to an expected "iPhone 6s Plus" device. Current iPhone 6 Plus hardware is already 0.2mm thicker than its iPhone 6 counterpart, meaning an identical alteration would bring it up to 7.3mm thick. Considering the parity of existing models, however, an across-the-board bump in thickness is likely.

Apple is widely expected to announce this year's iPhone models at a special event on Sept. 9. AppleInsider will be providing live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    So my 6 will be thinner than the new one. :D
  • Reply 2 of 57
    "As seen above" ... where?
  • Reply 3 of 57
    How thin a phone is is one of those specs I just get irritated about. More batery instead of rushing to make it thinner. More people care about battery life then thinness.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

How thin a phone is is one of those specs I just get irritated about. More batery instead of rushing to make it thinner. More people care about battery life then thinness.

Well, as the Duchess of Windsor said, "you can't be too rich or have too big a battery"...

or maybe that was Kanye...?

• Reply 5 of 57
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Except if battery life is god damn long enough, like it is. Then they do care about being thin. BTW, Apple's sales seem to belie your "truths".

• Reply 6 of 57

.19mm. So less than .008" thicker. That increase (or a good part of it) could be a result of how well the "leaked parts" were assembled.

If really the final size, that's enough to make an existing iPhone 6 case be a real snug fit, or maybe even not fit at all, depending on the precision of the case material/dimensions.

It sure seems like some attention would be paid toward maintaining compatibility with existing cases. Either near exact size match, or completely different, requiring a new case design. Being sorta close in size won't cut it.

• Reply 7 of 57
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Apple is so doomed.

Oh.  Wait.  

No, somebody else is doomed.  Not Apple.

Never mind.

/s

• Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Except if battery life is god damn long enough, like it is. Then they do care about being thin. BTW, Apple's sales seem to belie your "truths".

Agreed.. The 6+ is rarely under 60% at the end of my day.. which starts at 5am and ends at 11pm. I'm actually very happy with battery life on my 6 Plus. 

• Reply 9 of 57
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member

Bigger is better.

• Reply 10 of 57
    adrayven wrote: »

Agreed.. The 6+ is rarely under 60% at the end of my day.. which starts at 5am and ends at 11pm. I'm actually very happy with battery life on my 6 Plus. 

Are you saying you would not mind a little extra battery at the expense of slimness?
  • Reply 11 of 57
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

I know we're talking minute amounts here; but I'm disappointed to here it's wider, and it's taller.

I knew it would be thicker, and I thought that was fine (a bit stronger, and maybe even a bit more battery room?). But I was actually hoping that there was a chance that they had made the shell smaller hight-width, while keeping the screen size. (that would have been a show stopper next Wed.)

(A smaller iPhone, with the same size screens as the current models)

• Reply 12 of 57
    I agree, too. I was disappointed with the battery life (and the screen size) on my 6 that I upgraded to the 6 Plus just last weekend. I LOVE it! I've been getting 2 days out of a full charge with my 6 Plus. I had to charge my 6 every night.

And after waiting the last 3 months to upgrade my phone (I was waiting for the 6s Plus) but after hearing all the rumors about it, I've decided (for the first time ever) the "S" model doesn't have enough cool, new features to make an upgrade worthwhile.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Nothing on USB-C?
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Quote:

The thinner the phone is, the less material is used to make millions of phones. Keep the phone at the same price for years = massive profits.

The most annoying is the MacBook. Remove all of the ports, except for one. Keep it generally the same price and make the consumer pay for the external devices needed. Less ports, less engineering, thinner design = massive profits.

• Reply 15 of 57
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Maybe the 6 has a much better battery life than my 5s, but my battery will deplete 50% in an hour if I am using my phone to take pictures. I have a job that requires me to document things through digital pictures and by the time I reach 100 photos the phone is half dead. I know, I know, I'm stupid, I shouldn't have that job, it's my fault, Apple is God, I'm just a troll, everything is my fault, Apple can do no wrong..

• Reply 16 of 57
    Are you saying you would not mind a little extra battery at the expense of slimness?

Your comments have no scientific merit. How far do you take this? OK, make it a little thicker, heavier and costlier to get a little more battery life… now a little more… and a little more… and so on. Where does it end? How much battery life fits the consumer base? I bet Apple, Samsung, and even the companies that can't turn a profit have considered and tested these ideal minimums and/or maximums for the devices they are designing. Do you think Apple is the leader in the handset business because of their decisions or in-spite of? I'm gonna go with the former.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Your post would seem to belie your "intelligence and credibility".

I have the 6+ and I'm impressed with the battery life. It's the best I've ever seen on an iPhone - but most days, I still have to top it up at some point to make it through the full day.

"Apple Sales" don't belie any part of this debate and it's truly an idiotic thing to say. The only way sales figures could help decide this would be if there were two nearly identical models with the only difference being that one of them was slightly thicker with an extra 20% battery life. If that were the case (and its not), you could compare sales of the 2 models to see what users compared. You are asserting that if people were to prefer a bigger battery over a thinner device, they wouldn't buy an iPhone. Do you really not hear how idiotic that premise is? I for one, would prefer a bigger battery over a slimmer phone - and I hope Apple delivers on that - but if they don't, it's not going to drive me into a hissy fit and make me go out and buy an Android device! LOL! Is that really the way you shop?

I'd be willing to bet that if a million current iPhone 6 users were surveyed and asked whether they wanted their next iPhone to be thinner or have a longer lasting battery - over 90% of them would say they wanted a bigger battery.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    tenly wrote: »
    ...but most days, I still have to top it up at some point to make it through the full day.

It sounds like you either have a bad battery, use some inefficent 3rd-party app that is draining your battery abnormally, or you have some unusual habits. If the latter then get a Mophie case which will give you your extra battery life to get through all those "most days" and it'll be thicker, which you won't mind.
    I'd be willing to bet that if a million current iPhone 6 users were surveyed and asked whether they wanted their next iPhone to be thinner or have a longer lasting battery - over 90% of them would say they wanted a bigger battery.

1) And what if that survey also asked: Do want to help children in need or have your taxes raised?

2) You have no option for "I want my battery to last longer, its performance to be better, and for it to be more thin," despite that being the most common result from Apple every two years.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    It sounds like you either have a bad battery, use some inefficent 3rd-party app that is draining your battery abnormally, or you have some unusual habits. If the latter then get a Mophie case which will give you your extra battery life to get through all those "most days" and it'll be thicker, which you won't mind.

I've went through three mophie cases in one year. Under warranty, but still. Complete garbage. The micro-USB connector is do flimsy it kept breaking after a few months. Unless they change it to the much more durable Lighning port, I'm done with them.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Thank you for trying to solve a problem that I don't have. I do use my phone much more often than most people, but I'll admit that since getting the Apple Watch, I'm not running out of juice in my phone nearly as often as before. Believe me - I'm not complaining about my phone or its battery. All I was saying was that if given a choice between a thinner phone and a phone with a battery that lasts longer, I would opt for the battery - and my opinion is that *if* given a choice between the two, the vast majority of users would also prefer a longer lasting battery. As for the daily topping off, I have plenty of opportunities to do so without permanently increasing the phones thickness with an ugly case. (Ie plugged into my computer at work, plugged into the car when driving home). I also have a portable 20,000maH battery pack...but thank you for the suggestion.
    1) And what if that survey also asked: Do want to help children in need or have your taxes raised?

I don't see how this question has any relevance but WTF - I'd help the children! But that's completely off-topic. The fictional, non-existent survey I'm referring to had only a single question on it.
    2) You have no option for "I want my battery to last longer, its performance to be better, and for it to be more thin," despite that being the most common result from Apple every two years.

Again. Way off-topic. I sense that you're trying to be sarcastic here, but I think you've failed because I don't understand (not even a little bit) what point you are trying to make...? Tell the truth...were you drunk when you wrote this?