Apple's Tim Cook, Jony Ive slip to fourth on Vanity Fair 'New Establishment' list

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Apple CEO Tim Cook and newly-minted chief design officer Jonathan Ive on Tuesday made Vanity Fair's 2015 "New Establishment List," rounding up the celebrities reporters deemed the most important in business, culture, and investment.

Cook and Ive together placed fourth in the "Disrupters" category of the list, slipping one spot versus 2014. On Cook the magazine simply noted that his company is expected to sell at least 10 million Apple Watches in 2015, and that it has reportedly ordered production of 85 to 90 million next-generation iPhones.

Looking at Ive, Vanity Fair commented that he was promoted to chief design officer only weeks after the Apple Watch shipped, and that the move "struck some as surprising," since Ive previously had direct control over the design of many Apple products. The new role will allegedly allow him to become a "product visionary" in the style of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

The magazine didn't explain Cook and Ive's rankings slip. For this year's "magic number," though, it cited the 61 million iPhones Apple sold during the March quarter.

The top three people in the Disrupters section were Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Bezos, notably, is not only in Cook and Ive's previous spot but was fourth last year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Some lousy human beings headlining that list. Kalanick's just a hard driving entrepreneur with things to learn, Zuckerberg and Bezos are pretty bad though.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Bezos because of drones, I bet. But they seemed to ignore the failure of the Fire phone.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I notice Eddy Cue, Jmmy Iovine and Dre didn't make this list (or the secondary list they have which is mostly media big shots). Interesting.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    sog35 wrote: »
    So a glorified Taxi service, online retailer that only gets huge sales because they are a loss leader, and an advertising pyramid scheme top the list?  Pathetic.

But Oculus Rift man....it's the future.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    rogifan wrote: »
    But Oculus Rift man....it's the future.

LOL! I still can't fathom that Facebook acquisition.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    So Apple sold 61 Million iPhones and Amazon 61 now I understand go Bezos go.

N.B. My spelling corrector wanted to change Bezos to bozos !
  • Reply 7 of 38

Should have waited until after tomorrows announcement before making up their list.

• Reply 8 of 38

Doomed™, I say.

• Reply 9 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    They dropped a spot. That should tank the stock price.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

I know why Bezos is in the top three. Here's Amazon's product description for Vanity Fair magazine:

Nobody knows more about star power than VANITY FAIR, where you get access to people, personalities and power like no other magazine. From unmasking Deep Throat to intimate interviews with Jennifer Aniston, Martha Stewart and Lindsay Lohan, VANITY FAIR scooped the competition and gave its readers the must-read exclusives everyone has been talking about. Your subscription includes must-see special issues like the Hollywood issue and the Music issue, and monthly coverage of the movers and shakers in entertainment, media, politics, business and the arts.

It's interesting they put Jennifer, Martha and Lindsay in the same sentence as Deep Throat. Wait, they're talking about the Watergate person aren't they. Oops!

• Reply 11 of 38
    Wow ... the Apple zealots just can't see past their fanaticism. It's little wonder that fanboys (tm) are looked upon with such disdain by those who are more sane.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    sog35 wrote: »

iPadPro could replace laptops for 90% of the population..

And what about AppleCar?  That alone would disrupt Uber.

But the iPad pro won't replace laptop for 90% of the population.

AppleCar will just be another car to buy along with all the others. It won't displace the car manufacturers like Mercedes, BMW, Audi and the others.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Zuckerberg and Bezos? I understand the Uber guys but them?
  • Reply 14 of 38
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Uber turned the taxi services upside down. Like the iPhone it found the weaknesses in taxi services and fixed it.

I'll also have to disagree. Smacked them upside the head maybe. Any taxi service could have commissioned an app that did what Uber does, they just didn't. I'm not saying Uber isn't innovative and they certainly are giving Traditional Taxi services a run for their money, but it's more like Uber deflated "TT's" tires halfway as opposed to flipping the taxi completely over. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

iPadPro could replace laptops for 90% of the population.

Could, yes, that's a ways off tho I think (5-10 yrs). Short term it could certainly send Wacom scrambling. 

• Reply 15 of 38
    LOL! I still can't fathom that Facebook acquisition.

I get the feeling Facebook wants to be like Google, er, Alphabet, who wants to be like Berkshire. They just want to own a bunch of cool buzz worthy companies/products that prop up their stock price.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    smiffy31 wrote: »
    So Apple sold 61 Million iPhones and Amazon 61 now I understand go Bezos go.

N.B. My spelling corrector wanted to change Bezos to bozos !

You should have let it.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Well now we know who thinks the whole world revolves around taxi services. :lol:
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Who died and made Vanity Fair the designator of disrupters??... VF killed their credibility when they listed the top three... One of them has yet to prove sustainability.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Apple car is a myth until there is evidence they are building one. And that will doubtfully be disruptive. And how would an expensive car disrupt a taxi service?

The iPhone disrupted how many products? One.

Do you really think the problem the iPad had with disrupting laptops was screen size? Hardly. The iPad mini, air, and pro are not laptops. They're not designed to be laptop killers or laptop disrupters

Applewatch may be the first viable wrist device but what is it disrupting? Fitbit? Traditional watches? Nope.

Uber flipped the taxi service on its head

I'll give you number one and five on your list, however the iPhone disrupted an entire industry.  Google, Blackberry, Palm, and Microsoft all had to either rethink their gameplay or go under, R.I.P. Palm...

The iPad was an enormous disrupter and will do so at a different level once the Pro is announced.  (There are too many rumors now to pretend it isn't real.)

The Apple Watch in the "smart watch" field is a disrupter, however there isn't a "need" for the product in the wearable segment like there was a need for a new way of looking at the phone and tablets.

• Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

The iPhone disrupted how many products? One.

Okay, I'll bite.  To one degree or another, the iPhone (and its infrastructure) disrupted:

- portable music players

- GPS devices

- US telecoms in general

- software delivery models

- casual computer users

That's just off the top of my head.