Video shows 4th-gen Apple TV unboxed ahead of October debut

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    netrox wrote: »
    Amazing there's no native support for 4K. 

not really, considering most people dont have or use 4k televisions. when they become more popular I'm sure the refresh will include it.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    solipsismy wrote: »
    2) There are many ways to get the hyperlink to work. Here is one of them, which you can save into your keyboard shortcuts:

why in god's name is that necessary in order to link to a major site of relevant content?
  • Reply 43 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    not really, considering most people dont have or use 4k televisions. when they become more popular I'm sure the refresh will include it.
    When did Apple let the fact that most folks don't yet use a better technology hold them back from it?

With that said you're right that it should not have been a surprise. John Paczkowski reported way back in April that his Apple sources told him they wouldn't include it.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    why in god's name is that necessary in order to link to a major site of relevant content?

That seems to be the only site. Maybe when AI moved to Huddler they were just playing around or the Huddler team was doing a demo and they forget to remove it. Or maybe they have a beef with the site owner. Regardless, it exists and that's one of the workarounds.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    sog35 wrote: »
    Amazing that you don't know that mainstream consumers don't give a crap about 4k.

If that's your position, then why is Apple pushing 4K (or higher) on anything?
  • Reply 46 of 56
    because the A9 and Mac's can easily push 4k.

I'm not sure if the A8 can.

That's a completely different reason than you previously gave. You're now making it into a technical one — which is technically accurate because the A8 can't do 4K encoded files well enough that if they were going to support 4K UHDTVs they would need an A9 or better system, likely HDMI 2.0 so UHD color isn't limited to 8-bit, and probably a better HEVC HW de/encoder than what the A8 likely has — whereas before you were saying the "mainstream consumers don't give a crap about 4k."

I hypothesis that the 4K UHD Apple TV has likely been ready to go for sometime but that other forces, like getting the studios to allow Apple access to 4K content, has likely made this delayed since it's Aplpe's modus operandi to create a unified release whenever possible. I am guessing we won't see another major folly like with the original Apple TV so I'd wager that 4K UHD iTS content and a new Apple TV will arrive within 2 years.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Doesn't Apple need to pay some type of patent fee to make 4k available on the box? Maybe another reason so the price coud be kept as low as possible.

Possibly. I'm not sure how the licensing works. Did they have to pay something for having HEVC for the iPhone 6-series over FaceTime that has at least one direct cellular connection? If so, was it a flat rate per device? If so, then why limit the connection type to only cellular? Lots of questions.

It often sucks to know Apple can technically do something but then have to wonder what could be holding it up. It could be cost right now for the A9 chip, or perhaps they don't think 4K UHDTVs are popular enough, or perhaps they've worked out what they will be releasing years in advanced which mean they needed something else for 2016 (will it get yearly updates now?), or perhaps they didn't want 4K to overshadow the App Store and Siri Remote in anyway. My first guess is with the logistical aspect of content on iTS, even though it would have been nice to have a 4K UI option and be able to show photos better than before and video from the new iPhone 6S-series in all its splendor.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

no, it just means you're being irrational and fearful of things you dont understand.

in the case of Hey Siri, its an optional feature to use when its convenient for you -- theres no reason to feel like you have to use it when you're around other people.

People like to show off. That was evident on the 'Tube' last thursday evening. While waiting for a train at Hammersmith several travellers were using Cortana in a very loud voice. This is the same as having a loud mobile phone conversation on the train so that everyone travelling with you can hear the conversation. Or worse on a plane where you are stuck next to the idiot and can't move.

As I said, there is a time and a place for this sort of tech. This was one of major the conclusions I came to during my MSc. I see no reason to change it now. Siri will be there yes but I won't be using it. Ever. There again, I'm not addicted to my smartphone like so many people are in this day and age.

• Reply 49 of 56
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

why dont we try using it before we start criticizing apple about it, shall we?

I don't have a separate TV screen at home. ? tv is of no use to me right now.

However, it'd be great if Apple could make the ? tv remote compatible with the iMac. Hence my interest in the User Experience of the remote.

• Reply 50 of 56
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    There is no webkit support in new tvOS means no browser support. What a bummer !!! Someone might say do airdrop mirror from other ios device to display on large screen TV through AppleTV but I would like bluetooth keyboard and browser support so i don't have to do that. Or use Siri to invoke native App which function as browser. Same way for other app like MAP apps on AppleTV.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

There is no webkit support in new tvOS means no browser support. What a bummer !!! Someone might say do airdrop mirror from other ios device to display on large screen TV through AppleTV but I would like bluetooth keyboard and browser support so i don't have to do that. Or use Siri to invoke native App which function as browser. Same way for other app like MAP apps on AppleTV.

Would be nice to see the browser supported on this device, hopefully we'll see some sort of support at some point, I'm not sure how usable it would be without easier input (meaning, some sort of easier to use keyboard) but maybe Apple will crack that nut. Wonder if there are any restrictions to browsers on the device. I ask this because if you hack the current system (via Firecore for example) one of the apps you can install and run is Couch Surfer, a browser. Perhaps that means the gap will be filled by someone?

Seems like an opportunity for future expansion if it's really not provided "out of the box."

• Reply 52 of 56

There should be an app to replace the Siri remote so it doesn't become another accessory to lose and replace so easily.

• Reply 53 of 56
    vision33r wrote: »
    There should be an app to replace the Siri remote so it doesn't become another accessory to lose and replace so easily.

I would expect there will be by the time it starts shipping in October.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I would expect there will be by the time it starts shipping in October.

and quite specifically since Apple already showed that you can use iPhones as controllers during the unveil
  • Reply 55 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    vision33r wrote: »
    It'd be really good if Apple could come up with some solution for detecting a nearby AppleTV, especially one that you paired with previously, and giving quick access to the connected app - something like the Handoff app icons, or the camera access from the lock screen. One of the things that annoyed me about using Remote.app was the need to find and open the app and then wait for it to find and connect to the Apple TV. Since the hardware remote was much faster, I just ended up using that.