Apple releases iTunes 12.3 with support for iOS 9, designed for OS X El Capitan

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
Apple on Wednesday issued an update for iTunes, bringing it to version 12.3, which adds support for the newly released iOS 9 mobile operating system.

Apple has said that the latest version of iTunes is also designed for OS X 10.11 El Capitan, which is scheduled to arrive later this month.

Other changes and updates in iTunes 12.3, according to Apple, are:
  • Improved Apple Music accessibility with VoiceOver
  • Resolved a problem that prevented ordering of songs within Up Next
  • Fixed a problem where some radio stations did not appear within Recently Played
  • Addressed an issue where songs you loved on iOS did not appear loved on iTunes
  • Support two-factor authentication to secure your Apple ID
Apple has also said the update includes improvements to overall stability and performance. Upon updating to iTunes 12.3, users can use the media and syncing suite to install the newly released iOS 9 on their iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, which is also available in an over-the-air update through the iOS Settings application.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51

iTunes is still a garbage app. Even worse in Windows.

• Reply 2 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"Windows".

LOL

• Reply 3 of 51
    "Support two-factor authentication to secure your Apple ID"
    Aah... That's why I could not sign into El Capitain with iTunes in the beta...
    Got an "unknown error occurred" while trying to sign in.
    Turned it off and tadaa. I can sign in again..
  • Reply 4 of 51
    ds92jz....what do you use for your Music streaming instead? I use a Mini MAC that I ripped all my music to so I can play it on my Sound System....I use it with Pure Music...

Thanks,

Larry
  • Reply 5 of 51
    ds92jz wrote: »
    iTunes is still a garbage app. Even worse in Windows.
    As opposed to what's, Windows Media Player? Plex? Both of those are actually the most garbage apps I have ever used. In fact of all the players I've ever used including RealPlayer, MusicMatch, Songbird, Plex, XBMC, and iTunes iTunes for me has been the least buggy, easiest to learn, and easiest to use and that's in any version including 12 which I've had no problems with.

iTunes will always seem buggy and slow on Windows because Windows doesn't have the core functionality iOS and OS X have. It can NEVER be as good as the Mac version in the same way Safari sucked on Windows. It's still the best media player on that machine though in my not so humble opinion
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

As opposed to what's, Windows Media Player? Plex? Both of those are actually the most garbage apps I have ever used. In fact of all the players I've ever used including RealPlayer, MusicMatch, Songbird, Plex, XBMC, and iTunes iTunes for me has been the least buggy, easiest to learn, and easiest to use and that's in any version including 12 which I've had no problems with.

iTunes will always seem buggy and slow on Windows because Windows doesn't have the core functionality iOS and OS X have. It can NEVER be as good as the Mac version in the same way Safari sucked on Windows. It's still the best media player on that machine though in my not so humble opinion

iTunes sucks on OS X too...

Also, it looks like this one isn't going to be available at all for Lion?

• Reply 7 of 51

Just screwed up my iphone 6 with 64 gigs.  It now shows I have to connect to itunes, then it says we will try to restore it but you may need to factor reset it.  Then I try to restore, and there is an error....make sure you back up your current setup.

You would think they would have their stuff together by now, but no.  First time "almost" bricked phone.

tiiiiiiight.

• Reply 8 of 51
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

Don't understand all the hate. I've used iTunes on Windows for years and for the most part it has worked great. Does all I need or want it to do. Easy to rip CDs, buy songs, organize music and it easily works with my ATV to send music to my home theater system. Some people just gotta complain, I guess.

• Reply 9 of 51
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Does anyone know of a direct download link for the iTunes update?  Don't want to have to download it on 5 different computers.

• Reply 10 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Don't understand all the hate. I've used iTunes on Windows for years and for the most part it has worked great. Does all I need or want it to do. Easy to rip CDs, buy songs, organize music and it easily works with my ATV to send music to my home theater system. Some people just gotta complain, I guess.

These people are an itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny minority of the permanently dissatisfied class. They are to be ignored, laughed at, ridiculed. They are nothing but nattering nabobs of negativism (quote attributed to Spiro Agnew) who post merely for effect.

• Reply 11 of 51
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

These people are an itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny minority of the permanently dissatisfied class. They are to be ignored, laughed at, ridiculed. They are nothing but nattering nabobs of negativism (quote attributed to Spiro Agnew) who post merely for effect.

Have to remember that one.

• Reply 12 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Does anyone know of a direct download link for the iTunes update?  Don't want to have to download it on 5 different computers.

It will eventually show up here. https://support.apple.com/downloads/itunes

But as to when it may be weeks from now. Use the damn App Store.

• Reply 13 of 51
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    When are they going to release the new imovies?
    I need the 4k support to finally have something to edit my 4k videos
  • Reply 14 of 51
    mike1 wrote: »
    It's kind of simple really. The ones who hate it hate it because it is too much of a design change and they are too stubborn and stupid to understand that the new design is actually more productive.

Sure there's been a couple of bugs, none of which I've encountered, but it's mostly because of the interface change.

It's our version of Windows 8 really but just like Windows 8 it's actually a much better system to use once you get used to it.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    when converting tracks in iTunes ... they've moved the progress bar back to the central "lcd" display in addition to the circle-jerk thing in the top right corner of the window.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It will eventually show up here. https://support.apple.com/downloads/itunes

But as to when it may be weeks from now. Use the damn App Store.

Yeah, I'm just trying to be efficient about it (can't imagine trying to upgrade a whole office full of Macs via the App Store).

While I'm waiting for it (and Xcode 7) to download, I'll hunt around to see if the App Store saves an installer somewhere that I can make a copy of it.

Edit: Found it

• Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

No, it sucks because Apple doesn't invest in it. What core OS functionality is necessary to change the shortcut keys to match that of Windows? Do you press F1 to open help Word on the Mac? Then why does iTunes Windows open help with Control-? ? Do you expect Powerpoint to be Retina on the Mac? If so, why is iTunes Windows broken with HiDPI?

If Apple is so professional on UI, iTunes is a complete UI disaster, and you can't blame that on Microsoft.

• Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

No, it sucks because Apple doesn't invest in it. What core OS functionality is necessary to change the shortcut keys to match that of Windows? Do you press F1 to open help Word on the Mac? Then why does iTunes Windows open help with Control-? ? Do you expect Powerpoint to be Retina on the Mac? If so, why is iTunes Windows broken with HiDPI?

If Apple is so professional on UI, iTunes is a complete UI disaster, and you can't blame that on Microsoft.

Why does Microsoft Lync for Mac crash incessantly?  Or show scrambled video when doing video conferencing?  Microsoft apps will always be better on Windows and Apple apps will always be better on OS X because that's where their focus is (and where they make the most money).  In an alternate world where companies had infinite resources and didn't have to prioritize development effort based on return on investment, things might be different.  But we don't live in that world.

• Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

In an alternate world where companies had infinite resources and didn't have to prioritize development effort based on return on investment, things might be different.  But we don't live in that world.

How much resources does it take to change shortcut keys over to match the native system's? Zero.

And Skype for Business is just as bad. It takes down Outlook with it too. Everybody with common sense bought Cisco and Avaya hardphones, so as you said that whole mess gets no resources.

• Reply 20 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

How much resources does it take to change shortcut keys over to match the native system's? Zero.

Have you ever taken a look at iTunes for Windows?  Apple basically created a Windows implementation of Core Foundation and other low-level Mac development frameworks so that they could directly bring the Mac iTunes code over to Windows.  So it'd probably require some deep modifications to the underlying hotkey translation system which converts Mac hotkeys to Windows.  This is why it feels so out of place on Windows.