Aaron Sorkin tears into Tim Cook over 'opportunistic' comments

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Nobody did this movie to get rich," Sorkin said. ...

This is what Tim Cook should say in response:

"Well, in that case, we'll give the movie away for free to all Apple device owners.

Just to make sure we're not being opportunistic about that."

• Reply 22 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

This is what Tim Cook should say in response:

"Well, in that case, we'll give the movie away for free to all Apple device owners.

Just to make sure we're not being opportunistic about that."

Apple is not obligated to sell any movie they don't want in iTunes. I look forward to Apple NOT selling it.

• Reply 23 of 128

Apple is not obligated to sell any movie they don't want in iTunes. I look forward to Apple NOT selling it.

But they will because it'll make Apple money as well.
  • Reply 24 of 128
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    "Nobody made this film to get rich!" - Aaron Sorkin

Sorkin was paid two million to draft this film plus will receive three million in deferred.

Non-opportunist, my ass.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/63380/width/600/height/1200[/IMG]
  • Reply 25 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

But they will because it'll make Apple money as well.

We'll see. I seem to recall the iBookstore not selling a book that was unflattering to Jobs.

• Reply 26 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"Nobody made this film to get rich!" - Aaron Sorkin

Sorkin was paid two million to draft this film plus will receive three million in deferred.

Non-opportunist, my ass.

Nice bit of sleuthing. I see that's a Columbia email memo, but was this part of the Sony hack?

Also, $200K to Woz? No wonder he gave it such a glowing review.

• Reply 27 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hey Sorkin, prove that Apple uses child labor or shut the Frak up.
  • Reply 28 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

We'll see. I seem to recall the iBookstore not selling a book that was unflattering to Jobs.

I think what happened was the Dummies guys released a book called iCon, and then all the Dummies books got pulled from Apple retail.

• Reply 29 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I think what happened was the Dummies guys released a book called iCon, and then all the Dummies books got pulled from Apple retail.

That's what it was. Couldn't remember exactly what were the circumstances.

• Reply 30 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    trumptman wrote: »
    I can see his point. You can't complain about the profit motive while making record profits. Apple clearly takes certain actions to remain outside the value segments and also they make sure their margins remain high. Cook is infamous for squeezing the entire supply chain in the name of profits. If it were Walmart instead of Apple we'd be complaining but somehow Apple manages to be above it all.

I'm not begrudging Apple what it does but at the same time if they begrudge someone else for possibly turning an honest dollar, that seems hypocritical to me.

Sorkin is exploiting a dead man to make money. I was going to see the film.

Apple isn't exploiting anyone.
  • Reply 31 of 128

"Opportunistic" is a polite way of saying "parasitical", which is how I'd say it.

• Reply 32 of 128
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    More like Oscar-Whining writer.
  • Reply 33 of 128
    Dear Mr. Sorkin.

You make cartoons. Pretty enjoyable live-action ones so far, but you make cartoons. Condensed, dramatized stories with colorful caricatures that shortcut real life so we can live vicariously for 90 minutes at a time and then you can show them to us seven times - in theaters, on cable, over the air, on a DVD, on a BluRay, over a stream, and downloaded. Making money seven ways*.

Mr. Cook on the other hand, lived the real version of your cartoon. So you may want to defer to him on the value of your cartoons vs. the real emotion and life-experience of working with someone on projects that are world scale. There is a difference between doing a thing and telling a story about a thing. Don't confuse the two.

Keep making good stuff. We will keep reacting to it. Tim Cook will too.

Thanks!

*: If your team took "a pay cut" that means they likely asked for back-end and gambled on it. So they'll still make money if you're anywhere near as good as you believe you are.
  • Reply 34 of 128
    bobschlob wrote: »

What's hilarious, is that Sorkin might have been right on those first two points. But then he turns and does EXACTLY what Cook was talking about with the last point. A complete and utter distortion.

Excellent point. Plus, it doesn't look like Cook specifically called out Sorkin as one of the opportunists, so it's interesting that Sorkin got so defensive, seeming to identify himself as one of the targets.
  • Reply 35 of 128
    Sorkin and team took pay cuts?

But they're still stand to make tons of money right?

That was pretty weak.

Then the whole "Apple has factories full of poor children..."

First, if he doesn't care enough to check his facts about that, then he likely didn't care enough to check his facts about Steve Jobs... Therefore much of the movie is fabricated. Just like his barb. Oh well. Wiz already said pretty much all of the dialog between his namesake and they of Jobs in the movie never happened in real life. So even less reason to see it. I won't. And sounds like I won't be missing anything.

1) Apple doesn't have factories. They contract.

2) Apple is one of the only USA companies sharing the same contractors to do anything about inhumane and wrong practices in such factories - actually having success as well.

Apple has done more to right wrongs in that arena than anyone else on record.

He could have stuck to facts and given Apple props instead of making crap up in order to deride. But hey, it's what he did with his movie, so what do you expect.

Didn't realize the guy was that much of an opportunist. If anything, he reinforced Cooks notion and proved it out.

Not seeing the movie. Not only because the guy is stupid. But because his movie isn't even the truth. Numerous insiders have already said this.

The person I feel bad for is Fassbender. Good actor in s good role. But how's he to know Sorkins agenda might just put a black eye on his career.
  • Reply 36 of 128
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I saw the Colbert Show with TC. If that comment offends Sorkin his skin is way too thin.

Tim knew Steve personally for years.

Of course his perspective will be different, you overly verbose nitwit.
  • Reply 37 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I can see his point. You can't complain about the profit motive while making record profits. Apple clearly takes certain actions to remain outside the value segments and also they make sure their margins remain high. Cook is infamous for squeezing the entire supply chain in the name of profits. If it were Walmart instead of Apple we'd be complaining but somehow Apple manages to be above it all.

I'm not begrudging Apple what it does but at the same time if they begrudge someone else for possibly turning an honest dollar, that seems hypocritical to me.

I don't think he was referring to only money; I understood him as referring to exploiting someone's story without moral principle? Especially when that someone is deceased. I think Sorkin is being way too defensive over Tim's comment. Just my 2¢.

• Reply 38 of 128
    Regardless of either of their comments there's no denying that Apple and other huge comapnies have exploited cheap labor overseas to make hundreds of billions in profits while screwing over the American workforce.

There's zero patriotism in that.
  • Reply 39 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Regardless of either of their comments there's no denying that Apple and other huge comapnies have exploited cheap labor overseas to make hundreds of billions in profits while screwing over the American workforce.

There's zero patriotism in that.

You don't think that our government is included in that exploitation? Let's ALL show our patriotism then and toss out all our smart phones and electronics we use daily.  You start first.

• Reply 40 of 128
    Aaron Sorkin is the worst kind of opportunist. He pleads poverty after earning "only" $5 million for this movie. His writing is a pale imitation of David Mamet and he latches onto easy targets who are unable to defend themselves, in this case because they are deceased. Good on Cook for taking on Sorkin. .
    His statement that Apple employs children to assemble phones for pennies is probably libelous. Perhaps Sorkin could give some of his "not rich" income from this movie to whatever children he finds assembling phones for Apple. I won't hold my breath for this to happen.