Aaron Sorkin tears into Tim Cook over 'opportunistic' comments

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    applecored wrote: »
    The fact that Sorkin is using the most valid source materiel, Walter Isaacson's official Jobs biography,

you must be joking. or you just don't know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 102 of 128
    freediverx wrote: »
    And yes, I would accuse them of censorship if they removed them. The day that Apple starts blocking popular books and films they disagree with is the day I close my iTunes account.

so you're damning them either way -- Apple is opportunistic if they carry them, and fascist if they don't. nice.

thing is, you're wrong. it's not opportunistic to sell creative items you disagree with. it's just not taking an editorial stance on the narratives being sold.
  • Reply 103 of 128
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Why? First,the film's had universally great reviews. Second, Sorkin is absolutely right. Cook was talking out of his ass to criticize a movie he (and most people) have't even seen yet, and calling its makers opportunistic is both insulting and hypocritical.

Uhm, Cook made a generalization as an answer to a general question; Sorkin made it all about him, and responded with a falsehood with regard to Apple's manufacturing in China.

Would you deny that their hasn't been any opportunistic films or documentaries about Steve Jobs since his death? 

• Reply 104 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

so you're damning them either way -- Apple is opportunistic if they carry them, and fascist if they don't. nice.

thing is, you're wrong. it's not opportunistic to sell creative items you disagree with. it's just not taking an editorial stance on the narratives being sold.

I'm not damning them for selling the books or the films. I'm calling him out for portraying everyone who's made a film or written a book about Jobs as opportunistic, which in itself is unfair, while selling the same books and films.

• Reply 105 of 128
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    freediverx wrote: »

Why? First,the film's had universally great reviews. Second, Sorkin is absolutely right. Cook was talking out of his ass to criticize a movie he (and most people) have't even seen yet, and calling its makers opportunistic is both insulting and hypocritical.

Get real. Would the movie be made if Steve Jobs were alive?

No, you have to wait for him to die to have the opportunity to make a "drama" like this out of pieces of his life, mixed up and jammed together for effect.

To hell with his wfe, kids, and his good friends. They're the last people who are going to be able to sit through your wretched take on the man.

The man is gone. A whole four years ago. Now's your chance to make another Citizen Kane. Or something in the vein of Citizen Kane.
  • Reply 106 of 128
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, I didn't notice that last snipe. To hell with Sorkin. He's an asshat. Sorkin probably had to take a pay cut to get this thing made because have you seen the number of production companies associated with this thing?

•  

Source:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2080374/companycredits?ref_=tt_dt_co

That's true for almost all films today.   No one company will take all the financial risk for any film and the big studios don't like using their own money.   So if you look at the beginning of most films today, they look like a demo reel of logo treatments with all the names up front.   It's also why so many films suck and why we get so many comic book movies, prequels, sequels, etc.   It's less of a risk when you have known "brand" or commodity.   The other factor for most big-budget films is that they have to play well in China, which is now the 2nd largest market outside the U.S.   And total international box-office is now far larger than domestic (U.S.) box-office.    Even with the economic retrenchment in China, China box-office will probably be larger than the U.S. within five years.

But just because all these production companies were involved doesn't mean that Sorkin didn't take a pay cut.   It's actually more of an indication that he did.    

While Sorkin's "children at 18 cents" comment was unfortunate (because at least as far as I can tell, it's not accurate), I do think he's right that Cook should have seen the film before commenting on it.    These various Steve Jobs films aren't big films, so no one is making much money on them, if there's any profit at all.

• Reply 107 of 128
    zoetmb wrote: »

That's true for almost all films today.   No one company will take all the financial risk for any film and the big studios don't like using their own money.   So if you look at the beginning of most films today, they look like a demo reel of logo treatments with all the names up front.   It's also why so many films suck and why we get so many comic book movies, prequels, sequels, etc.   It's less of a risk when you have known "brand" or commodity.   The other factor for most big-budget films is that they have to play well in China, which is now the 2nd largest market outside the U.S.   And total international box-office is now far larger than domestic (U.S.) box-office.    Even with the economic retrenchment in China, China box-office will probably be larger than the U.S. within five years.

But just because all these production companies were involved doesn't mean that Sorkin didn't take a pay cut.   It's actually more of an indication that he did.    

While Sorkin's "children at 18 cents" comment was unfortunate (because at least as far as I can tell, it's not accurate), I do think he's right that Cook should have seen the film before commenting on it.    These various Steve Jobs films aren't big films, so no one is making much money on them, if there's any profit at all.

Cook made a general comment, not one aimed at Sorkin.
  • Reply 108 of 128
    I don't get why so many adults love The Lord of the Rings movies. I can understand appreciating the work by fine actors like Ian McKellen and Cristopher Lee but the movies themselves were overall quite childish. It's like watching a movie based on a D&D game.
  • Reply 109 of 128

Obviously Aaron Sorkin is like a large pus-filled zit of the highest degree.

Go Tim!  CEO for LIFE!

• Reply 110 of 128
    sockrolid wrote: »
    This is what Tim Cook should say in response:

"Well, in that case, we'll give the movie away for free to all Apple device owners.
    Just to make sure we're not being opportunistic about that."
    Getting Bono for free was quite enough!
  • Reply 111 of 128
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

But, heck, while 'the folks' are fighting, I think I'll go see the movie, and, you know, make up my own mind.

it's not a question of how good a movie it is. if you pay money for it, you've already sided with the opportunists, regardless of whether you enjoyed the entertainment.

But, no, I've purchased Apple products (multitudes of them), so I guess I've sided with

the "other" opportunists...sorry, but I just don't think there are really any virgins in this catfight.

• Reply 112 of 128
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

What a hypocritical idiot.

All the TV's and equipment required to watch and produce all of Sorkin's products are also made in the same factories by the same children making the same 17 cents.

That 17 cents is worth a lot more in China.

• Reply 113 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by applecored View Post

The fact that Sorkin is using the most valid source materiel, Walter Isaacson's official Jobs biography, and has top level talent willing to work with him, would suggest that his movie is an even handed view of Steve Jobs.

That's what makes Sorkin's 'vomiting' of the factually void China child labor BS all the more disturbing.

• Reply 114 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    I don't get why so many adults love The Lord of the Rings movies. I can understand appreciating the work by fine actors like Ian McKellen and Cristopher Lee but the movies themselves were overall quite childish. It's like watching a movie based on a D&D game.

You do know that D&D was influenced by the LOTR trilogy.

Adults love them because they read the books as children and now have a worthy interpretation on film.
  • Reply 115 of 128
    josha wrote: »

Absolutely right, but even if his sentiment was correct, he and Apple would be on the equal moral standing, and Cook's comment would still apply, explaining that Sorkin's is still only cockroaching off a recent dead famous guy.

In reality, he writes crappy nighttime TV dramas, while Apple changes the world.
  • Reply 116 of 128
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    well thats outright slander/libel (can't tell if this was spoken or written)...factories "full" of children? nope. working for 17 cents an hour? nope.

Yeah! It's $2.50 an hour and 14 is considered to be of adult age in China.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19965641
  • Reply 118 of 128
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    josha wrote: »

You've never been to Beijing or Hong Kong have you.
  • Reply 119 of 128
    tmay wrote: »

He doesn't need to. He's got the Tim Cook-hating trolls carrying on the fight for him in the forums. No surrender! Tim Cook is a monster!
  • Reply 120 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Asshat!

Having a bad day, Relic?