Google unveils new Nexus phones, Chromecasts, Pixel C tablet & more

245678

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 158
    But at least on Android phones you have a replaceable battery and you can use microSD cards! What? Not on Google devices? Not on new flagship phones? Oh. Right. Well, at least, they don't have stagefright.
  • Reply 22 of 158
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,718member
    Yea, I don't get the placement for the sensor. There are lots of time I have my phone on my desk and need to check something quick without picking it up.
  • Reply 23 of 158
    The 6p looks miles better than this generations iPhone design. The iPhone 4 and 4s and 5/5s were really nice. The 6/6s just look terrible to me. The antenna lines are ugly as ****.
  • Reply 24 of 158
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,516member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by herbivore View Post



    ...the OLED screen on Samsung phones something Apple should adopt.

    Not at the prices Samsung likely wants to charge for OLED. OLED is Samsung's only positively distinguishing feature. They undoubtably would want to charge Apple a very high premium for it. The LCDs Apple uses instead perform well enough.

  • Reply 25 of 158
    sog35 wrote: »
    once again proving Google has horrible taste and can't design nice hardware to save their lives.


    I bet we won't see the media telling Google starting their Nexus phones at 16GB is a travesty.
    Looks a hell of a lot better than the current iPhone design
  • Reply 26 of 158
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,982member
    seankill wrote: »


    Because a $380 phone with 16GB is the same as a $650 phone with 16GB of storage. At least be realistic, this is a decent budget phone; I would much rather a Nexus 6P (which is $500) than any Samsung phone. I would argue it is much more pathetic for the $650 iPhone to have 16GB of storage than for a $380 phone, it is certainly not a point I would argue to take up for Apple. They clearly did it for the higher selling price, which is pretty much fine by me because I always bought the 32GB iPhone, so 64GB is a good deal for me. Apple clearly wants to protect their margins, a business move (certainly a good one). 

    Just saying, you can bash but apply some logic, even the Nexus 6P is 150$ cheaper but not, by any means, better. 
    so, you mean $380 phone is okay for 16GB starting storage while it still runs the same fucking OS, apps and camera MP? Your argument is idiotic about storage space based on price of the devices, not the platform...
  • Reply 27 of 158
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,982member
    Exactly.

    I have my iPhone sitting next to me on my desk. I can unlock my phone by simply pressing on the home button and letting TouchID do its thing.

    How would you unlock the Nexus phone if the fingerprint sensor is on the back of the phone... facing down on the desk?
    so, where can they place that fingerprint botton, in front? If so, it's 90% iPhone clone and they have hard time to get away with the lawsuit unless they make oval or elongated button like Samsung, but then they will be sued by Samsung too.
  • Reply 28 of 158
    fallenjt wrote: »
    so, where can they place that fingerprint botton, in front? If so, it's 90% iPhone clone and they have hard time to get away with the lawsuit unless they make oval or elongated button like Samsung, but then they will be sued by Samsung too.

    3 choices... front, back, side.

    So they chose to put the fingerprint sensor on the back which mean I have to lift the phone and slide a digit under there just to unlock my phone?

    USABILITY!
  • Reply 29 of 158
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

     

    Nice version of a Touch ID sensor/ring on the back there. Worst place ever to put a fingerprint sensor. What about mobile payments? Turn your phone over to scan your fingerprint? And what about people who like cases? You're going to have a cutout for the sensor? Lame.

     

    And how dare they make the Nexus 5X with only 16GB of storage.


     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post





    Exactly.



    I have my iPhone sitting next to me on my desk. I can unlock my phone by simply pressing on the home button and letting TouchID do its thing.



    How would you unlock the Nexus phone if the fingerprint sensor is on the back of the phone... facing down on the desk?

     

    The fingerprint sensor on the back-middle is not a bad design, it's just different. If you hold the phone in your hand, it's easy to place one of your fingers onto it. Contrary, the iPhone's sensor is better suited for scanning the thumb when held in the hand, right?

     

    I'm just surprised that suddenly all of these iPhone competitors are getting fingerprint sensors with very little discussion around how secure they are? Apple made a big deal about how secure their scanner was, so why has it been so easy for the rest of the industry to suddenly embrace this? Have there been some compromises in reliability and security?

  • Reply 30 of 158
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,982member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wasn't aware the Nexus 5X cost $649.
    let's say Tesla ask Hyundai to make them a gasoline powered car with great specs and put Tesla badge on it then sell at $10K cheaper than BMW 528i. Would it still be okay for Rebadged Tesla with 250HP but not BMW 528i because it's premium/luxury car? Many of you argue the same thing here about cheaper phone being okay with 16GB entry.
  • Reply 31 of 158
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,982member
    3 choices... front, back, side.

    So they chose to put the fingerprint sensor on the back which mean I have to lift the phone and slide a digit under there just to unlock my phone?

    USABILITY!
    Front: get sued by Apple or Samsung...Back: sucks, Side: reengineer the sensor because it doesn't have enough space to scan the fingerprint. Got it?
  • Reply 32 of 158
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Front: get sued by Apple or Samsung...Back: sucks, Side: reengineer the sensor because it doesn't have enough space to scan the fingerprint. Got it?

    Got it??? What exactly are you trying to tell me?

    I KNOW the back sucks... that's what I said originally.

    Anyway... I think Sony has a fingerprint sensor on the side. And HTC already had a fingerprint sensor on the back.

    So there is no place to put a fingerprint sensor that someone else hasn't ever done. Unless they put it on a corner (which would be hilarious)
  • Reply 33 of 158
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post





    so, you mean $380 phone is okay for 16GB starting storage while it still runs the same fucking OS, apps and camera MP? Your argument is idiotic about storage space based on price of the devices, not the platform...

    First off, your improper words are a pretty good start to discrediting everything you say. 

     

    Second, same OS? Compared to Apple? No. Compared to Samsung? Technically, however, the overlay is completely different and bloated (Samsung is quite famous for this). Compared to what? I am not following you here. 

     

    Now back to the point, you say my argument is stupid? If I pay more for something, I expect to get more. That is the logic everyone follows. Granted the iPhone is much better; however, it is also much more expensive (70% more expensive), so I expect more for the premium. If I buy a phone that is $270 more than another, it is not unreasonable to expect more storage onboard. To complain about a $250 phone or a $380 phone with 16GB is to absolutely shame a $650 phone with 16GB. If I buy a computer for $2,000 instead of $1,000, I expect more storage space (along with better specs across the board), regardless of OS. This is the same logic everyone typically follows; there is nothing idiotic about it. I understand, you must protect you prefect Apple but the company is not prefect nor are all of its products. Apple is simply pushing everyone up to 750$ phones which is quite clever given that the iPhone component costs are climbing. 

  • Reply 34 of 158
    coolfactor wrote: »


    The fingerprint sensor on the back-middle is not a bad design, it's just different. If you hold the phone in your hand, it's easy to place one of your fingers onto it. Contrary, the iPhone's sensor is better suited for scanning the thumb when held in the hand, right?

    I'm just surprised that suddenly all of these iPhone competitors are getting fingerprint sensors with very little discussion around how secure they are? Apple made a big deal about how secure their scanner was, so why has it been so easy for the rest of the industry to suddenly embrace this? Have there been some compromises in reliability and security?

    I can unlock my iPhone with my thumb as I remove it from my pocket. It's unlocked before I even look at it.

    But my point earlier was having my iPhone sitting on my desk. I can use my thumb or index finger to unlock it without lifting it up. Very fast and convenient.

    These Nexus phones will have to be picked up and a finger slide under to unlock it from a desk. Seems odd to me.

    But like fallonjt said... there's nowhere else to put a fingerprint sensor that someone else hasn't done before. (if companies even worry about that sort of thing)
  • Reply 35 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post





    I can unlock my iPhone with my thumb as I remove it from my pocket. It's unlocked before I even look at it.



    But my point earlier was having my iPhone sitting on my desk. I can use my thumb or index finger to unlock it without lifting it up. Very fast and convenient.



    These Nexus phones will have to be picked up and a finger slide under to unlock it from a desk. Seems odd to me.



    But like fallonjt said... there's nowhere else to put it that someone else hasn't done before. (if companies even care about that sort of thing)

     

    This is one of those "can't win" scenarios. If Google put the fingerprint sensor in the same place as iPhone, then everybody would claim they are copying. So they put it on the back and now it's "odd" to need to lift the phone to use it? Just set the "lock timeout" to be much longer and then you won't need to unlock it as often, right? I guess I just don't see the concern around its placement. I'm glad it's not the same as the iPhone.

  • Reply 36 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    I bet we won't see the media telling Google starting their Nexus phones at 16GB is a travesty.


     

    It is a $379 phone and the upgrade to 32GB is only $50...yeah, its the same thing. :rolleyes: And even given that, yes, people are giving them crap for it. Do you always fail so completely?

     

    -kpluck

  • Reply 37 of 158
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post



    But like fallonjt said... there's nowhere else to put a fingerprint sensor that someone else hasn't done before. (if companies even worry about that sort of thing)

     

    Well, there *is* somewhere else to put it... on the screen itself. It is a transparent surface... the scanner could be just below it in some creative way. :)

  • Reply 38 of 158
    coolfactor wrote: »
    I'm just surprised that suddenly all of these iPhone competitors are getting fingerprint sensors with very little discussion around how secure they are? Apple made a big deal about how secure their scanner was, so why has it been so easy for the rest of the industry to suddenly embrace this? Have there been some compromises in reliability and security?

    You haven't heard anything because of course it's not secure. It's Android on a Chinese company's phone. If it were secure they would have touted that.

    Let's face it. This is a "me too" feature to try to stay relevant. I just don't understand how it would be anywhere near as usable as TouchID.
  • Reply 39 of 158
    coolfactor wrote: »
    This is one of those "can't win" scenarios. If Google put the fingerprint sensor in the same place as iPhone, then everybody would claim they are copying. So they put it on the back and now it's "odd" to need to lift the phone to use it? Just set the "lock timeout" to be much longer and then you won't need to unlock it as often, right? I guess I just don't see the concern around its placement.

    It's not "odd" to lift a phone... it's odd to "have to" lift a phone just to wake the screen and check missed notifications when other phones have a button that is already facing up ready to be pressed.

    Yeah you could keep the screen awake longer... but it will eventually go to sleep. And the cycle repeats!

    coolfactor wrote: »
    I'm glad it's not the same as the iPhone.

    Are you really glad it's not on the front?

    Or do you simply go against any decision Apple makes? :D

    It's the fronts versus the backs... FIGHT!
  • Reply 40 of 158
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Well, there *is* somewhere else to put it... on the screen itself. It is a transparent surface... the scanner could be just below it in some creative way. :)

    That's some next-level ish right there!
Sign In or Register to comment.