Apple removes iOS app chronicling victims of US drone strikes

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are you a full-time developer and do you make most or all of your living from your app sales?

Yes and yes.

• Reply 62 of 84
    A few days after Obama is visiting with Cook...and this. Pretty clear the heavy hand of our government is going to try to pressure companies into yielding towards the censorship efforts.

This is really corrupt....really scary stuff.

And good god what a moron, you are lkrupp...the App wasn't conveying Apple's opinion--it wasn't an apple product, nor their creation you nimrod.

The point is that everything across the political spectrum needs to be PROTECTED.

We need unpolluted outsiders to go take Washington back...NOW!
  • Reply 63 of 84
    arlomedia wrote: »
    Yes and yes.

I only asked because there are so many negative stories floating around about how difficult it is to make a decent living as a developer.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I only asked because there are so many negative stories floating around about how difficult it is to make a decent living as a developer.

It took several unsuccessful apps and a few years of steady growth with a successful app to get to that point. So in my case it has been a similar experience to starting a more traditional kind of business.

• Reply 65 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    I find the removal of this app to be objectionable. The content was not objectionable in the slightest. It sounds informative. The media almost never covers drone strikes any more. Somehow the idea that a person sitting thousands of miles away making life and death decisions about tiny human shaped dots on a screen has become ordinary rather than the war crime it truly is.

Was dropping the atomic bomb considered a war crime back in WWII? I think that killed more civilians than these drone strikes.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    I find the removal of this app to be objectionable. The content was not objectionable in the slightest. It sounds informative. The media almost never covers drone strikes any more. Somehow the idea that a person sitting thousands of miles away making life and death decisions about tiny human shaped dots on a screen has become ordinary rather than the war crime it truly is.

Was dropping the atomic bomb considered a war crime back in WWII? I think that killed more civilians than these drone strikes.

It most certainly should have been. The Japanese hit a military target when they bombed Pearl Harbor. The US decimated 2 cities full of innocent civilians.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It most certainly should have been. The Japanese hit a military target when they bombed Pearl Harbor. The US decimated 2 cities full of innocent civilians.

Hiroshima was the HQ for the Army or division of the army. It was also a major supply port.

Unfortunately civilian life takes a backseat during war.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The USA was being very nice and compassionate, because originally, other more valuable and important cities to the Japanese were supposed to be targeted. :smokey:

• Reply 69 of 84
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    apple ][ wrote: »

The USA was being very nice and compassionate, because originally, other more valuable and important cities to the Japanese were supposed to be targeted. :smokey:
    Oh how very nice of them. They were so compassionate to those that had to suffer the effects for decades as the lucky ones were vapourised.
    But I suppose it's only collateral damage. It doesn't mean anything. Team America.. f@#k yeah!
  • Reply 70 of 84
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

The bombing was a horrible thing, but lets not play revisionist historian.

Hiroshima was the HQ for the entire command chain regarding the defense of southern Japan.

Nagasaki was a city in which nearly 90% of the population was involved in the production of ships, ordinance and other military equipment for wartime.

So I'll ask the same question I ask everyone else when it comes to this. What would you have done instead? Especially if your aim is to save lives?

1. "Just continue the air campaigns!" - More people died in one night during the Tokyo Fire Raids than either Atomic bomb. So you kill more than the bomb did and the war lasts longer. This is just on the JP side too, we're not even going to count the potential Allied deaths.

2. "Blockade them, force them to surrender" - The low number of Germans in Europe estimated to have died from a Blockade last time was 400,000. Climbing up to a massive 800,000 in other studies. So again, you're keeping the war active and more people dying in the process.

3. "Negotiate with them, they probably wanted to surrender" - Well if you exclude the Naval Intelligence intercepting Japanese communications otherwise, and the Military Coup attempted against the emperor...This could have worked in another reality.

4. "Invade Japan and occupy it" - If I have to explain how bad a bloodbath this would be, we have much bigger problems.

5. "What about the post bombing victims?" Again, I don't deny the horror of the bombings. It was something we never should have had to do. But the dropping of the Atomic bombs ensured the end of the concept of Total war, which alone saved many other lives, and has ensured that no Nuclear armed nation has attacked another in over 70 years and that no nuclear weapon has been used in war since. The idea we would just sit on a brand new weapon without having a use case for it would be fantasy. If it wasn't Japan, it would have been someone else.

• Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Oh how very nice of them. They were so compassionate to those that had to suffer the effects for decades as the lucky ones were vapourised.

But I suppose it's only collateral damage. It doesn't mean anything. Team America.. f@#k yeah!

It's pretty straightforward:

• Reply 72 of 84

Perhaps Apple should take the same approach to all religious apps. I find them all totally objectionable, especially Abrahamic stuff as it is divisive and leads to drone strikes. Revolting proselytisation. 

• Reply 73 of 84

Neither bomb needed to be dropped on people. Leafletting and radio broadcasts along with messages to all Japanese politicians, Hirohito and high ranked military staff several days before a demonstration via an offshore aerial detonation at night would have deeply disturbed even the most hardened warmonger. Coupled with a continuous broadcast and leafleted stream of information regarding Soviet troops amassing on the Chinese coast in preparation to an invasion of Japan (a fact many people felt did more to affect a Japanese surrender than the Atomic Bombs themselves...) "Better Dead than Red"...the right-wing, theistically inclined preferred of the two slogans.

The number of military personnel killed in Nagasaki was around 100 total!

• Reply 74 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Neither bomb needed to be dropped on people. Leafletting and radio broadcasts along with messages to all Japanese politicians, Hirohito and high ranked military staff several days before a demonstration via an offshore aerial detonation at night would have deeply disturbed even the most hardened warmonger. Coupled with a continuous broadcast and leafleted stream of information regarding Soviet troops amassing on the Chinese coast in preparation to an invasion of Japan (a fact many people felt did more to affect a Japanese surrender than the Atomic Bombs themselves...) "Better Dead than Red"...the right-wing, theistically inclined preferred of the two slogans.

The number of military personnel killed in Nagasaki was around 100 total!

Tickle torture might have worked too.

• Reply 75 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Grow up, psychopath. The USA dropped fliers on all of the potential targets a week before the bombings. The fliers told them about the nukes, told them how much damage they would do, and told them how far away from the cities to evacuate. They ignored.

It’s irrelevant to this argument that Roosevelt was a warmongering, demonic, globalist traitor. We ended the war and saved about 20,000,000 Japanese lives (and allowed them to retain their sovereignty, mind you) through nukes rather than Operation Downfall. Never mind the American lives saved.

The bombings saved Japan as a nation and a people. The annexation of the nearly empty Shikoku and/or Kyushu as payment for a land invasion could have resulted otherwise.

I’m glad we did it, would have done it myself at the time, and would certainly welcome it done–in explicit defense of our country only–in the future.

• Reply 76 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Grow up, psychopath. The USA dropped fliers on all of the potential targets a week before the bombings. The fliers told them about the nukes, told them how much damage they would do, and told them how far away from the cities to evacuate. They ignored.

It’s irrelevant to this argument that Roosevelt was a warmongering, demonic, globalist traitor. We ended the war and saved about 20,000,000 Japanese lives (and allowed them to retain their sovereignty, mind you) through nukes rather than Operation Downfall. Never mind the American lives saved.

The bombings saved Japan as a nation and a people. The annexation of the nearly empty Shikoku and/or Kyushu as payment for a land invasion could have resulted otherwise.

I’m glad we did it, would have done it myself at the time, and would certainly welcome it done–in explicit defense of our country only–in the future.

Then if it was so effective why didn't we drop a few bombs on Germany and saved even more lives?
  • Reply 77 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Then if it was so effective why didn't we drop a few bombs on Germany and saved even more lives?

Because they surrendered 3 months earlier.

Now, if you want to discuss whether we should have nuked Moscow and launched an offensive on the Soviet Union in September 1945, that’s another question.

• Reply 78 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because they surrendered 3 months earlier.

Now, if you want to discuss whether we should have nuked Moscow and launched an offensive on the Soviet Union in September 1945, that’s another question.

That is also a question wherein only the insane would contemplate advocacy of a preemptive nuclear strike against an ally. I know American presidents are renowned for their stupidity, but that would take the biscuit.

There has been only one group of people to whom we all owe a debt of gratitude and that was the Cambridge Four. Without their having effectively levelled the East-West playing field I dread to think what additional damage (beyond the environmental mess our species has made) would have been done to a planet which doesn't even belong to us

• Reply 79 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

There has been only one group of people to whom we all owe a debt of gratitude and that was the Cambridge Four.

There is a long chain of people to whom we all owe a debt of gratitude for ending WWII, including the Cambridge Four. They are hardly the only group.

• Reply 80 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

There is a long chain of people to whom we all owe a debt of gratitude for ending WWII, including the Cambridge Four. They are hardly the only group.

Their achievement was giving to the Soviets what Britain had given the Americans; The worlds first fissile Uranium. Churchill gave the US Britains' entire ICI production output and the wherewithal to make more material, its top nuclear physicists (mathematicians were kept back for Bletchley and code-breaking). During the initial stages of the cold war The Cambridge Four gave the same atomic bomb secrets to the Soviets that Churchill had given the US. Like Snowden, they were vilified for their bravery and termed traitors.