Japan's major architecture, engineering firms going "all iPad" in support of Apple, Inc. iOS enterpr

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2015
Apple's mobile enterprise ambitions are beginning to shift the market in Japan, where large architecture, engineering, construction and operations firms have already moved to standardize on iOS and iPads for their enterprise tablets.


Japan's Daiwa House Industry extensively uses iPad


According to a report by Architosh, Graebert--a major German CAD (computer assisted design) software developer--announced its support for iOS after finding that leading Japanese firms have already standardized on iOS in deploying thousands of iPads.

That shift is coming largely at the expense of Google's Android, and leaves diminishing hope for Microsoft's efforts to win converts back to the Windows PC, in any form factor.

Despite selling lots of consumer tablets (including a large segment of devices used at portable TVs or "kids toys," according to IDC), Android does not have the same professional backing as iOS in the corporate enterprise.

The corporate shift toward iPads has occured rapidly over the past year, thanks in part to Apple's high profile global partnership with IBM. Major design firms that already use Graphisoft ArchiCAD have also been quick to adopt iPads to make use of BIMx Docs, a mobile companion app.

Apple has specifically profiled Daiwa House Industry, Japan's largest homebuilder, as a major enterprise iPad adopter, detailing how the company uses iPads and custom iOS apps for everything from design and building tools to managing internal operations to end user sales and home management tools for customers.

Enterprise adoption of iPads is not only shifting how industries work, but is also having an impact on how Apple designs iPads. This winter, the company will begin selling its new iPad Pro, a notebook sized tablet that capitalizes on Apple's tablet app-ecosystem strength while adding a precision Apple Pencil stylus to enable drawing and annotation features that don't make sense on smaller mobile devices.


iPad Pro


Google has promoted Android tablets as essentially being a stretched smartphone, resulting in the platform being used primarily as a way to watch videos rather than as a true Post-PC app development platform. In the other direction, Microsoft has tried to fold iPad-like features into Windows and develop hybrid tablet-laptops that promise to do everything, an approach that has neither reinvigorated the lagging PC market nor created a new product category capable of standing on its own.

Can your product run on iPad?

Last October, Graebert said it released its ARES Touch mobile CAD software for Android first, citing predictions by Gartner that claimed Google's platform would claim a leading 62 percent market share among tablets sales this year.

However, that same developer subsequently shifted to add support for iOS after considering new data: first, IDC stats showing Apple's iOS already has 80 percent of the enterprise market, and second, first-hand experience among influential large firms in the Japanese market who are asking specifically for iOS apps."Every company we visited said, 'can your product run on iPad?'" - Yoji Ebata, Graebert Japan

Cedric Desbordes, a sales and marketing executive for the firm, noted that "Apple has entered into a global partnership with IBM to develop iPad sales," adding, "we are already seeing strong interest for CAD solutions on iPad from our larger accounts in Asia."

Yoji Ebata, an executive with Graebert Japan, further stated to Architosh that Apple's iPads are already becoming the "dominant platform for tablets in Japanese AEC market," with major design and construction firms such as Obayashi, Kajima and Taisei already having deployed thousands of the devices.

Earlier this spring, Ebata noted that when Graebert began promoting its Android software to major firms in Japan, "every company we visited said, 'can your product run on iPad?'"

IBM gets enterprise fired up to buy iOS

Apple and IBM first announced their MobileFirst partnership in July 2014, outlining plans to sell iPhones and iPads paired with with industry-specific app solutions to business clients worldwide.

This June, IBM expanded the scope of its enterprise iOS app solutions with a cloud services partnership with Box, integrating that firm's cloud APIs for content management, distribution, sharing and storage.




IBM has already released more than thirty industry-specific apps for iPhone and iPad users in the enterprise, ranging from business travel, shift management, field operations and banking to education, public safety and healthcare.

Earlier this year, IBM also expanded its MobileFirst apps to support Apple Watch, adding remote notifications support to its apps targeting the healthcare, public safety and energy industries.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 28
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,788member
    [I]"... leading Japanese firms have already standardized on iOS in deploying thousands of iPads."
    [/I]
    Shoulda waited for the iPad Pro!
  • Reply 2 of 28
    I think the iPad Pro with the ApplePencil will enable the kind of 3d cad applications I have been desiring for many years.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Tim Cook predicted 2015 would be "The Year of Apple Pay." (On a side note, I'm still waiting for that tipping point, despite my personal love of Apple Pay.)

    2016 could be "The Year of Apple Enterprise", driven by iPad Pro (+ Pencil & Keyboard) and a growing critical mass of business-oriented apps from IBM and other vendors.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by squareback View Post



    I think the iPad Pro with the ApplePencil will enable the kind of 3d cad applications I have been desiring for many years.



    The iPad Pro seems like such a perfect device for CAD that it almost makes me wish I was an engineering student now instead of a decade ago, though I ended up doing something different regardless.

  • Reply 5 of 28

    After spending years living in Japan working in the tech sector, I'm surprised Japan is going anywhere that isn't Windows XP.

     

    The country still thinks that Floppy disks are a secure, fast and up to date storage medium.

  • Reply 6 of 28
    majani wrote: »
    After spending years living in Japan working in the tech sector, I'm surprised Japan is going anywhere that isn't Windows XP.
    Government offices still use DOS
    The country still thinks that Floppy disks are a secure, fast and up to date storage medium.
    This is not true. Internet is the storage medium in Japan. It's easy to get 2G fiber in Tokyo, and recently there is 10G fiber.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Predictions from Gartner! Aargh. I bet that company won't EVER ask an analyst anything ever again.

    Can you imagine how much money it cost them because they listened to an analyst?? STUPID EFFING ANALYSTS!!
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post





    Government offices still use DOS

    This is not true. Internet is the storage medium in Japan. It's easy to get 2G fiber in Tokyo, and recently there is 10G fiber.

     

    Don't get me wrong, I lived in Nagoya and had a base package of 1gig internet which I loved, but when my company (Not a small one either) kept data on floppy disks I thought it was a joke at first and the company was just ass-backwards.

     

    Unfortunately no... it's still commonplace there. I did work in the government education sector for a while and many boards of education absolutely insisted that storing vital records on floppy disk was the only acceptable electronic storage and many preferring just keeping physical paper records.

     

    Editing in another note: Many places placed so much of an emphasis on the internet being inherently insecure that there were oftentimes completely segregated internet networks/intranets that housed 'secure' information whilst they internet-accessible computers were prohibited from receiving workplace data. 

  • Reply 9 of 28
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 771member
    A company made a strategic decision based on a Gartner prediction??!!!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    slprescott wrote: »
    Tim Cook predicted 2015 would be "The Year of Apple Pay." (On a side note, I'm still waiting for that tipping point, despite my personal love of Apple Pay.)

    2016 could be "The Year of Apple Enterprise", driven by iPad Pro (+ Pencil & Keyboard) and a growing critical mass of business-oriented apps from IBM and other vendors.

    2015 is the year of ApplePay. The world of mobile payment is so huge that ApplePay does not Appear to have captured much but it is best positioned to win over the world.

    Apple is getting a lot of banks and credit unions in the US on board. This month October 2015 is the deadline for all US merchants to support EMV chips or take responsibility for credit card frauds at their stores so expect a lot of stores in the US to begin supporting ApplePay. Apple now has the iPhone 6, 6Plus, 6s, 6sPlus, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, and the Apple Watch all supporting ApplePay.

    ApplePay is in the US and Europe and will soon be in Canada. I think the tipping point is happening this year and the coming years will build on the strong foundation.

    Time will tell.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post



    ApplePay is in the US and Europe and will soon be in Canada. I think the tipping point is happening this year and the coming years will build on the strong foundation.

     

    Uh, well. Europe is a bit of an exaggeration. It is available in the UK with a transaction limit of 30 Pounds (means, can't even be used to pay for breakfast in an upscale London hotel – it's 38 Pounds for the breakfast buffet where I am normally staying), not even rumors pointing at support in other countries. Banks here have successfully sabotaged every payment system they are not in control of, we have at least 5 identical but incompatible solutions for everything. The technology (terminals) is widely available, but as long as banks are not signing up for it... no dime.

     

    I would love to be wrong, but I just do not see it happening, short of Apple opening a bank.

  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

     

     

    Uh, well. Europe is a bit of an exaggeration. It is available in the UK with a transaction limit of 30 Pounds (means, can't even be used to pay for breakfast in an upscale London hotel – it's 38 Pounds for the breakfast buffet where I am normally staying), not even rumors pointing at support in other countries. Banks here have successfully sabotaged every payment system they are not in control of, we have at least 5 identical but incompatible solutions for everything. The technology (terminals) is widely available, but as long as banks are not signing up for it... no dime.

     

    I would love to be wrong, but I just do not see it happening, short of Apple opening a bank.




    Well, take a look at this link:  

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204916

     

    Apple is starting off with more banks in UK (over a dozen) than they did in the US.

    They now have well over 500 Banks and Credit Unions in the US supporting ApplePay.

     

    Now have a look at this link:

    http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/where-to-use-apple-pay/

     

    The list merchants supporting ApplePay in the US is not too shabby either and it's growing more and more.

     

    I think it pays to see the glass as half full when it comes to ApplePay.

  • Reply 13 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,553member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by derekson View Post

     



    The iPad Pro seems like such a perfect device for CAD that it almost makes me wish I was an engineering student now instead of a decade ago, though I ended up doing something different regardless.


    The first MCAD package that I am aware that supports the iPad Pro (they are committed to it) is a cloud based package called Onshape;

     

    https://www.onshape.com/features-and-pricing

     

    I'm moving from SolidWorks to Autodesk Inventor HSM Pro for a number of reasons, but one is that Autodesk seems to "get" mobile better than Dassault Systemes, I expect Fusion 360, their Cloud based MCAD package, to support the iPad Pro as well. Autodesk will also be very supportive of the iPad Pro for BIM and Architectural Design.

     

    Hoping for some Industrial Design apps on the iPad Pro.

  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

     

    The first MCAD package that I am aware that supports the iPad Pro (they are committed to it) is a cloud based package called Onshape;

     

    https://www.onshape.com/features-and-pricing

     

    I'm moving from SolidWorks to Autodesk Inventor HSM Pro for a number of reasons, but one is that Autodesk seems to "get" mobile better than Dassault Systemes, I expect Fusion 360, their Cloud based MCAD package, to support the iPad Pro as well. Autodesk will also be very supportive of the iPad Pro for BIM and Architectural Design.

     

    Hoping for some Industrial Design apps on the iPad Pro.


     

    They demoed Fusion 360 on the iPad Pro in the keynote, didn't they?

  • Reply 15 of 28
    If Apple ever gets around to making the iPad compatible with the watch, that would sell even more watches for Enterprise as well!
  • Reply 16 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,553member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by derekson View Post

     

     

    They demoed Fusion 360 on the iPad Pro in the keynote, didn't they?


    I thought it was AutoCAD 360 that was demoed, which is probably more in line with the market for BIM and Architectural Design and Engineering.

  • Reply 17 of 28
    sockrolid wrote: »
    "... leading Japanese firms have already standardized on iOS in deploying thousands of iPads."

    Shoulda waited for the iPad Pro!

    I'm glad to see the pressure to move ahead was stronger then waiting. However, I think the iPad Pro will unleash the flood gates of all those who were waiting for such capabilities.

    The article mentioned that IBM has released more than thirty iOS apps... however, a search of the app store using the search term "IBM" brought back nearly 300 results. Most written by third-party developers to provide apps to support IBM products and services.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

    Just In time for the release of iPad Pro hmm...

  • Reply 19 of 28
    sockrolid wrote: »
    "... leading Japanese firms have already standardized on iOS in deploying thousands of iPads."

    Shoulda waited for the iPad Pro!

    I'm glad to see the pressure to move ahead was stronger then waiting. However, I think the iPad Pro will unleash the flood gates of all those who were waiting for such capabilities.

    The article mentioned that IBM has released more than thirty iOS apps... however, a search of the app store using the search term "IBM" brought back nearly 300 results. Most written by third-party developers to provide apps to support IBM products and services.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

     

    I would love to be wrong, but I just do not see it happening, short of Apple opening a bank.


     

    I have been thinking about the same thing and Apple doesn't need to open a bank.

     

    All they need is to team with Visa and offer a virtual co-branded debit card that drops into Wallet and links through to the person's iTunes account acting as a tunnel. So it is like buying through iTunes basically.

Sign In or Register to comment.