Apple TV now available for preorder, first deliveries arrive Friday

Comments

• Reply 61 of 173
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,031member
    kent909 wrote: »
    Worse yet Wall street is not stealing either. If you don't like the rules of the game then don't play.

Well things seem odd at times Apple stock, re: its valuation, performance, cust sat, margins, cash accrual, etc...other companies valuations are rewarded for far less in terms of performance and long term outlook.

Though to be fair, Apple share have more than doubled since Jobs passing in 2010...
  • Reply 62 of 173

Went for the 64gb.  Kinda sorry that I did not do the overnight shipping.  I had it sent to work because I'm sure it will need a signature for delivery.  So, I may not get it before this weekend.  Oh well. 

• Reply 63 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

CD don't have encryption.  DVD/Bluray do.

breaking encrytion is illegal 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

No, it is not illegal to rip CDs, because they aren't encrypted. Making a copy for personal or other fair-use cases is OK. The media industry hates that, so DVD/Blu-Ray formats are encrypted. it is necessary to break the encryption to make a non-disc copy that can be played, and that is illegal.

Frankly, it's insane, and only hurts legitimate paying customers...

AFAIK, the issue is not legally settled. (i) Does it say anywhere that you cannot, when it's legal to copy unencrypted DVDs and it's legal to sell tools to decrypt? (ii) Is there a case you can point me to that settles this one way or another?

Not trying to be contentious. I'd like to know.

• Reply 64 of 173
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member

I think I am mistaking this thread to be about the new Apple TV shipping.

• Reply 65 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Worse yet Wall street is not stealing either. 

So naive it hurts.

So conspiratorial, it makes me laugh.

• Reply 66 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    thrang wrote: »
    Well things seem odd at times Apple stock, re: its valuation, performance, cust sat, margins, cash accrual, etc...other companies valuations are rewarded for far less in terms of performance and long term outlook.

Though to be fair, Apple share have more than doubled since Jobs passing in 2010...

Apparently the stock is down 3% today based on poor results from a (small) supplier. Amazing that a $650B company can drop 3% in one day because of the results of some small supplier that most people have never heard off.
  • Reply 67 of 173
    msantti wrote: »

What's there to say about it other than its available for sale? There are no reviews to discuss,
  • Reply 68 of 173
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Meh
  • Reply 69 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

When sog35 has his wealth negatively affected, he tends to freak out a bit, and all threads become all about his portfolio, why Apple should go private, why Wall Street is a bunch of thieves, blah blah.

• Reply 70 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Isn't it a little odd that orders went live and we haven't seen any reviews yet? Usually reviews come out a few days before. Also odd when you go to apple.com you don't even see ?TV. Why isn't it front and center with a big BUY button? Something about this rollout is a bit odd. Are they going to do the same thing with iPad Pro? Incidentally, Apple stock is getting crushed this morning. Is that investors panicked about the quarter? Some clown on CNBC was saying if Apple reports a good quarter that will take the stock down because it means the December quarter won't be as good.

There were reviews out within days of the announcement. What are you looking for? Also, the Apple TV is the third panel rotating through on the Apple home page.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/9/9297131/new-apple-tv-update-remote-2015-hands-on-video-photos

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/09/12/hands-on-apple-tv-2015-with-tvos-apps-remote-featuring-touch-motion-siri

• Reply 71 of 173
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What's there to say about it other than its available for sale? There are no reviews to discuss,

Well, just start a thread about Apple stock.
  • Reply 72 of 173
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    There were reviews out within days of the announcement. What are you looking for? Also, the Apple TV is the third panel rotating through on the Apple home page.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/9/9297131/new-apple-tv-update-remote-2015-hands-on-video-photos
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/09/12/hands-on-apple-tv-2015-with-tvos-apps-remote-featuring-touch-motion-siri

These aren't reviews. They're first looks or hands on where you get a few minutes with the device after the keynote.
  • Reply 73 of 173
    melgross wrote: »
    Despite what fans of sharebuybacks think, there is no evidence that they result in lasting share price accrual. Short temporary lifts occur, but market forces and company performance swamps that over time. It's just throwing money into a black hole.

I agree. Apple should do something smarter with their cash and invest more in their data centers, acquisitions and materials research.
  • Reply 74 of 173
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I'm discouraged if the new remote is required to access navigation functionality, and there is no IR or IP alternative. My equipment rack is centrally located and not within Bluetooth range (70 feet away and one floor down)

While not prevalent, it's not uncommon for AV setups to locate gear away from the output zones themselves, especially semi-dedicate media rooms or dedicated home theaters.

Ordered 2 64 gb anyway, one for this Friday delivery...

Wow, I'd call the a first world problem, except even most first worlders can't relate. What's next, "the bluetooth controller interferes with the avionics on my G6, ugh!"

:D

• Reply 75 of 173
    rogifan wrote: »
    Apparently the stock is down 3% today based on poor results from a (small) supplier. Amazing that a $650B company can drop 3% in one day because of the results of some small supplier that most people have never heard off.

Yes, and in actuality, Dialog Semiconductor is preliminarily reporting an 18% YoY increase in revenue, so this is another spin of missing analysts uninformed expectations (and how one can accurately extrapolate this to Apple is even a further stretch...are they the only supplier for this part? Did the new iPhone require a less costly component the year vs last, which could impact revenue growth (if 18% was insufficient for the pundits)?
  • Reply 76 of 173
    xpad wrote: »

Wow, I'd call the a first world problem, except even most first worlders can't relate. What's next, "the bluetooth controller interferes with the avionics on my G6, ugh!"

:D

Most of the Internet is a first world problem...so that's immaterial
  • Reply 77 of 173
    It's weird. It's free shipping at 30 in Hong Kong.
    I wonder the problem is Apple haven't booked enough UPS capacity.
    P.S. Anyone know if I can get it in store at 30?
  • Reply 78 of 173
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Isn't it a little odd that orders went live and we haven't seen any reviews yet? Usually reviews come out a few days before. Also odd when you go to apple.com you don't even see ?TV. Why isn't it front and center with a big BUY button? Something about this rollout is a bit odd. Are they going to do the same thing with iPad Pro? Incidentally, Apple stock is getting crushed this morning. Is that investors panicked about the quarter? Some clown on CNBC was saying if Apple reports a good quarter that will take the stock down because it means the December quarter won't be as good.

Yeah, it's really suspicious the way Apple is handling this, by not treating it like the iPhone and iPad, and instead like every other product they sell!

inb4doom, or, more likely, much ado about nothing. It's just a new product. No one has them yet to review (developers aren't allowed to).

As for the iPad Pro, Apple has been demoing them with third parties, and you can be certain it's in the hands of reviewers right now. Apple TV doesn't need that. It's not a hype product, it's just something that has graduated from hobby to normal.

And stocks? AAPL is not Apple. Reading into the lack of pre-order reviews is bad enough, but reading into the stock market is folly.

• Reply 79 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Most of the Internet is a first world problem...so that's immaterial

Couldn't disagree more vehemently.

• Reply 80 of 173
    Couldn't disagree more vehemently.

Ok...