Apple TV now available for preorder, first deliveries arrive Friday

Comments

• Reply 121 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You can believe what you want.  But IMO no matter what Apple does as far as managing perceptions it won't matter.  Wall Street will always target the stock and manipulate.  The reason is the make a fortune selling call options.

I really don't give a shiit what it is or why the stock gets manipulated.  All I know is it has been manipulated for over a decade.

Once I get a decent price I'm selling the shitt out of it and buying stocks that Wall Street respects (Google, Amazon, Microsoft, ect)

I just think you're unrealistic in your calls for "going private" or "Apple needs to manage perceptions better".

You should sell and I mean that sincerely. It doesn't sound like this investment is good for your health (i.e. your up/down mood swings). But if you're waiting for it to hit 140 before you sell, I hope we don't have to put up with many more of your overly-dramatic posts. Sounds like you should sell when it hits 125 or so (and relish in your decision that it's a "shit stock"), then buy back at 110....if you REALLY believe it's a shit stock as you clearly stated many times on this board.

• Reply 122 of 173
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is this settled law? I'd love to see a case cited.

If you are talking about ripping a CD you purchased into iTunes, that's not illegal. Ripping a CD and copying to an mp3 player for personal use falls under the "fair use" of U.S. Copyright law. 

• Reply 123 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Well, no, it's a very well thought- out design. The media rooms have a local Blu Ray player since that requires physical media access, but we haven't used them in years, as all discs I buy are ripped to a 20TB Synology server as ISO or BDMV files and ar streamed to Dune Players on the gigabit LAN. All non-removable media devices are central located and fed in an HDMI matrix switcher to feed multiple rooms (TiVo, Directv, AppleTV, Dune, etc..).

Nothing "horrible" about it.

So Apple didn't cater to the hand full of people that can afford your set up.

• Reply 124 of 173
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member

So Apple didn't cater to the hand full of people that can afford your set up.  Blow me.

Next time around, try adding an education to your life...
  • Reply 125 of 173
    I understand all the points about exchange rate, Vat, etc. but the 32GB version at 179€ here in Germany is just too much. Way too much. Especially when you think that the older model is at 79€ and sold most of the time at 99€. The 64GB is at 229€.
    Too expensive sorry. No upgrade for me.
  • Reply 126 of 173
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    Didn't realize until hours after my order that these don't ship with an HDMI cable. That seems a bit odd (slash cheap), doesn't it?
  • Reply 127 of 173
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    fastasleep wrote: »
    Didn't realize until hours after my order that these don't ship with an HDMI cable. That seems a bit odd (slash cheap), doesn't it?
    Save some money if you're going to have to get one. Amazon has high-rated ones for about $5

http://goo.gl/dcNclX
  • Reply 128 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

That's fine, but the sites being accessed are "first world" by and large, so usage and access from what regions and demographics would be more telling.

I mean, the list is filled with commercial sites, online selling sites, social sites, pseudo-journalism sites (slanted in both directions), entertainment sites...

I'm guessing third world interests and needs fall largely outside most of these. Or put another way, except for search sites, most of the sites in the Top 500 could shut down tomorrow and likely have no material impact on third world concerns.

I'm not self-flagellating here; I'm on the net everyday, and to use a very tired phrase, it is what it is. But is seems self evident that the bulk of the Internet is used for decidedly first world dalliances, such as this site!

you posted the US chart, of course they are all US companies.  The world chart is a bit different with sites from china, india and other countries.  And Facebook is a global site with a billion unique users a day.

http://www.alexa.com/topsites

• Reply 129 of 173
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

That's been the case with every Apple TV. No extraneous stuff. Seems like everyone I know has extra HDMI cables in some bin or drawer, and then there is length required for the connection. If you're in the US and do need one, then just order one for the length you want from Monoprice. Should be there before your Apple TV arrives. Inexpensive and good quality.
  • Reply 130 of 173
    Quote:

I agree.  It took a $100 billion dollar Apple buyback to convince me.

Sept 2012 - Apple is worth $657 billion

Oct  2015 - after over $100 billion in buybacks - Apple is worth $660 billion

Apple threw $100 billion in buybacks, made over $130 billion in profits and the market cap is worth the same as 3 years ago.

Why should a buy back make the company worth more?  if anything, a buyback on it's own makes the company itself worth less since those bought back shares don't count in the market cap and the money spent is gone.  It's those profits that helped the company offset that and maintain it's market cap.  And it's not like the company hasn't been worth more during that period, it was worth 700 billion easier this year.  Stock prices fluctuation for many reasons.

• Reply 131 of 173
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member

Preordered the following: Apple TV (64 GB); AppleCare; a spare Siri Remote; and two SteelSeries Nimbus Wireless Gaming Controllers.

Wallet empty but owner happy. 

• Reply 132 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Save some money if you're going to have to get one. Amazon has high-rated ones for about $5

http://goo.gl/dcNclX

That's exactly what I'm doing. :) I didn't notice when ordering the Apple TV that they were pushing their own $19 cable but it seems odd they don't include one with a $200 box that has no other connectivity.

• Reply 133 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That's been the case with every Apple TV. No extraneous stuff. Seems like everyone I know has extra HDMI cables in some bin or drawer, and then there is length required for the connection. If you're in the US and do need one, then just order one for the length you want from Monoprice. Should be there before your Apple TV arrives. Inexpensive and good quality.

I suppose, but as someone who has extra everything else cables (I found SCSI-1 cables when looking if that says anything), I didn't have one. :)

• Reply 134 of 173
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Quote:

You can believe what you want.  But IMO no matter what Apple does as far as managing perceptions it won't matter.  Wall Street will always target the stock and manipulate.  The reason is the make a fortune selling call options.

I really don't give a shiit what it is or why the stock gets manipulated.  All I know is it has been manipulated for over a decade.

Once I get a decent price I'm selling the shitt out of it and buying stocks that Wall Street respects (Google, Amazon, Microsoft, ect)

Consider adding Facebook to your list.

• Reply 135 of 173
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

That's exactly what I'm doing. :) I didn't notice when ordering the Apple TV that they were pushing their own $19 cable but it seems odd they don't include one with a $200 box that has no other connectivity.
    Why be surprised. They get a chance to make an additional $19 sale and if you don't buy the cable from them they save a couple of bucks not putting one in the box. Apple knows what the market will bear and how to maximize revenue. That's good business.
  • Reply 136 of 173
    ordered 64 GB unit, I'm in Australia and had to wait till Tuesday local AEDTime to order, delivery 4-5 Nov
  • Reply 137 of 173
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Why be surprised. They get a chance to make an additional $19 sale and if you don't buy the cable from them they save a couple of bucks not putting one in the box. Apple knows what the market will bear and how to maximize revenue. That's good business.

If that was the sole motivation then why not, say, include the basic remote for $99 and then change $69 for the Siri Remote for advanced features?
  • Reply 138 of 173

I'm in Au so had to wait till Tuesday to order went with the 64 GB and loop 4-5 Nov delivery 

• Reply 139 of 173
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Why should a buy back make the company worth more?  if anything, a buyback on it's own makes the company itself worth less since those bought back shares don't count in the market cap and the money spent is gone.  It's those profits that helped the company offset that and maintain it's market cap.  And it's not like the company hasn't been worth more during that period, it was worth 700 billion easier this year.  Stock prices fluctuation for many reasons.

Well, there's less share to pay dividend to without diminishing divident, so they'd save money that way in the long run, probably enough to pay for the shares in not to long a time if the company continues making money.

I'm not a big fan of buybacks myself.

• Reply 140 of 173
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:

regardless its still illegal.

You broke incryption which is illegal.  Making a backup isn't.  But breaking incryption to do so is.

Its like breaking into a bank vault to take a nap.

Its not illegal to take a nap. But its illegal to break into a bank vault.

What nonsense. Stealing the discs from a store would be illegal. But buying them and watching the content in the privacy of your own home however you wish to do so could only be considered illegal by someone drinking an unhealthy dose of the koolaid. I know the media conglomerates have been trying to buy such laws from compliant legislators, but I don't know of any dreadful results so far. There is even a company (kaleidescape) that makes a device that handles DVD's and now BluRay discs by putting them on a massive server. Many Hollywood big names have the device in their homes. There will always be greedy people trying to buy laws to prop up their failing business model. That doesn't mean we have to treat their claims with undeserved respect.