New Apple TV incompatible with Apple's own Remote app for iOS and watchOS

Comments

• Reply 81 of 264
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    haggar wrote: »

Maybe someone also forgot to email the packaging team to either include the proper USB-C cable for charging the remote from the Apple TV, or to include an AC charger in the box.

The remote charges via lightning not USB-C. I'm assuming the USB port is for diagnostics?
  • Reply 82 of 264
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

So, yes, the Apple TV you get in the box does "just work" as Apple promised. There are no lies, deceptions, or any other skullduggery going on here to show Apple not giving the new Apple TV the exact impression they demoed and advertised last month.

Now if AirPlay didn't work out of the box, that would be a different story since that is a touted feature from an iOS device.

I don't really think anything I said suggests any sort of deception, so dismissing my point on those grounds is...off-point.

It simply makes sense that the app - Apple's own creation - would work right off the bat.  I don't feel cheated, merely disappointed,

that something seemingly obvious and congruent would not have been anticipated and prepared for in the launch.  

It's just an observation, not quite yet an indictment.

• Reply 83 of 264
    Eddie needs to learn how to delegate.

I like mine so far but it definitely doesn't feel like something Apple has been working on for 4-5 years. Most of the apps I've downloaded are just a boring grid of video thumbnails. Only HBO seems to have taken the time to do something nice.

HBO app:

fa8rkj.jpg

24fn3t4.jpg

What the rest look like:

261fcit.jpg

Even the Weather Channel app is super boring. It's raining where I am right now. How about rather than just a boring black screen you get a beautiful full screen image that coincides with whatever the current weather is in your location? And then you could tap to a screen like the one they have that showed all the details. Right now the Yahoo weather app on my phone is showing an animated photo of rain puddles. Developers really need to take advantage of imagery on this thing. Big beautiful imagery.

2nbttvk.jpg

I guess it's maybe too early to see the fruits of their labor but in some ways I was expecting a bit more considering how long Apple has been working on this. Especially when it comes to the pain of having to authenticate certain apps. Typing in passwords on the screen is a big pain. So is having to go online to type in some code (I had to do that for ESPN, HBO and AirBnb). And not having the ability to use BT keyboard or an updated remote app on day one is a bummer. It's weird like in some ways this feels a bit rushed but obviously it can't be as we know Apple's been working on it for years.
  • Reply 84 of 264
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    This shows you that this will be a great AppleTV. The remote app was horrible, to say the least. I still refuse to believe that Apple made it. Perhaps that's what they do with their affirmative action hires. :)

Putting a emoticon on a bigoted statement doesn't change the fact that you actually had that thought and were willing to post it on a public forum. Please don't try to hide behind "you were just being funny with a joke". Your statement was derogatory to a minority group that you felt should be given low level work with shoddy outcomes.
  • Reply 85 of 264
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,264member

The fact that the new AppleTV has an App market is a huge improvement over previous generations of AppleTV. Yeah, the current crop of Apps is rather thin because of the newness of the ecosystem but it will get better. The new remote is very nice but I was not able to pair my Apple Wireless Keyboard with the new AppleTV. I don't think Apple is actively preventing such a pairing, I think it's just a bug in the software that isn't yet implemented to make the pairing work seamlessly. BlueTooth pairing with the iPhone 6+ to synchronize iCloud account information during installation worked fine. The only problem I see is that when I go into the BlueTooth settings I don't see the AppleTV trying to find additional devices. They'll fix it. 

Not that I'm a fan of the hunt & peck on-screen data entry but I do find the new AppleTV model is much better than the old "grid" model. You can long-press on the characters to bring up cap and accented versions of the characters so it works very similarly to other iDevices. It's still somewhat tedious but not nearly as bad as what people are portraying. I know... the amplification factor for complaining about Apple products is always super high because ... it's Apple. 

At some point in downloading Apps where it's been asking for passwords to "buy" it will offer to never ask you again. If you select that option you will no longer be prompted for a password.

• Reply 86 of 264
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    Update the Remote App Apple!

Or ...

Please can some TvOS Developer create a quick and dirty iPad .(.. or Mac if that's possible and then can skirt the approval system in the app store) Apple Tv keyboard input app. I bet it could be done in an hour!
  • Reply 87 of 264
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Unlike you, I didn't get my knowledge of this Act from Wikipedia, I got it in law class.

and? the wiki is accurate. please cite where you believe it isn't.
  • Reply 88 of 264

+1 for missing the remote app but I am sure it will be back soon

The new on-screen keyboard layout is a major pain with the linear character layout and the delete button right at the far end

Scrolling through my own large media collection is painful as there is no accelerator on ATV4. Fast swiping is a hit and miss affair as more often than not I seem  to trigger a side swipe and end up in watched vs unwatched which is a different list and I end up scrolling through the wrong list for a while before I realise. I found myself using the ATV3 remote, but still no accelerator

Siri is very accurate in terms of recognising what I say but seems to return some very strange results and also it cannot see tagged media in your own library. As a result it is pretty much useless. Lets hope searching your own library becomes a future option or possible through Plex possibly

I must admit that this is the first Apple product version I have bought (and I have bought a lot over the past 25+ years) that I have been disappointed with. It just doesn't feel quite ready. I'm actually contemplating going back to my ATV3 for a while

It also feels like Apple focused on this being a device for iTunes content and not your own media. I have plenty of ITunes media but not exclusively. Fine approach if this is £40 subsidised box but not at £170.

• Reply 89 of 264
    gonevw wrote: »
    I'm not even opening mine, returning it as soon as it arrives.

I hate remotes

let me get this straight - you're such an enthusiast that you preordered or bought on day 1, but you're going to return it without even trying it because you currently can't input text via iPhone? riiiight.
  • Reply 90 of 264
    rogifan wrote: »
    I like mine so far but it definitely doesn't feel like something Apple has been working on for 4-5 years. Most of the apps I've downloaded are just a boring grid of video thumbnails. Only HBO seems to have taken the time to do something nice.

Even the Weather Channel app is super boring. It's raining where I am right now. How about rather than just a boring black screen you get a beautiful full screen image that coincides with whatever the current weather is in your location? And then you could tap to a screen like the one they have that showed all the details. Right now the Yahoo weather app on my phone is showing an animated photo of rain puddles. Developers really need to take advantage of imagery on this thing. Big beautiful imagery.

I guess it's maybe too early to see the fruits of their labor but in some ways I was expecting a bit more considering how long Apple has been working on this. Especially when it comes to the pain of having to authenticate certain apps. Typing in passwords on the screen is a big pain. So is having to go online to type in some code (I had to do that for ESPN, HBO and AirBnb). And not having the ability to use BT keyboard or an updated remote app on day one is a bummer. It's weird like in some ways this feels a bit rushed but obviously it can't be as we know Apple's been working on it for years.

why do you keep conflating third party apps win how long Apple has been working on the device? how is it apple's fault that some third party apps may feel like v1 apps, which, they are?
  • Reply 91 of 264
    I must say that this is the first time I have seen such a large proportion of AI readers express unambiguous disappointment with a new Apple realease. (Even @Slurpy!:D).

I canceled my store pick up order last night. I hope someone from Apple has a response to this -- remote apps, charger -- soon.
  • Reply 92 of 264
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    gonevw wrote: »
    I'm not even opening mine, returning it as soon as it arrives.

I hate remotes

let me get this straight - you're such an enthusiast that you preordered or bought on day 1, but you're going to return it without even trying it because you currently can't input text via iPhone? riiiight.

I did mine, last night. And that's the reason. It's not like I can't watch my movies and TV, listen to my music, view my photographs, or do AirPlay in the meantime.

(I did not pre-order, though; I went online yesterday, and discovered that it was available for Apple Store pickup within the hour).

(Aargh... Edited autocorrect...)
  • Reply 93 of 264
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    why do you keep conflating third party apps win how long Apple has been working on the device? how is it apple's fault that some third party apps may feel like v1 apps, which, they are?

No, maybe my post wasn't clear. I consider them two separate issues. Considering how long Apple's been rumored to be working on this device (I think John Gruber said some of the best iTunes people at Apple have been working on this for many years) even their first party apps are kind of meh. If you don't believe me, Jim Dalrymple tweeted that the worst app on ?TV right now is Apple Music. As far as 3rd party apps go, clearly HBO took the time to pull together a nice app. Yummly has a nice one too. I found a classical music app called touchpress that is also nicely designed. But a lot of the content apps like NBC, ABC, YouTube are just meh. It's Apple's platform at the end of the day so meh 3rd party apps are going to be a reelection on ?TV not just the 3rd party developer. But maybe developers will iterate fast and nicer apps will come fast. Is there a way to rate apps in-app on the device?
  • Reply 94 of 264
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    I must say that this is the first time I have seen such a large proportion of AI readers express unambiguous disappointment with a new Apple realease. (Even @Slurpy!:D).

I canceled my store pick up order last night. I hope someone from Apple has a response to this -- remote apps, charger -- soon.

Apple need to do two things and fast ... 1) Update Remote and b) Add a cloud back up and restore of all settings and accounts so that Netflix, etc is set up with user names and passwords etc. all seamlessly from the previous Apple TV to this new one. That would be the 'Apple' way of doing things normally.
  • Reply 95 of 264
    stuartf wrote: »

I must admit that this is the first Apple product version I have bought (and I have bought a lot over the past 25+ years) that I have been disappointed with. It just doesn't feel quite ready. I'm actually contemplating going back to my ATV3 for a while

I'm keeping mine because it's much better than the ?TV 2 I'm coming from. But I do agree with you that it doesn't feel quite ready in some ways which is kind of disappointing considering how long Apple's allegedly been working on this.
  • Reply 96 of 264
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Some of these posts are hilarious. The faux outrage starts off as silly minor complaints that have reached the crescendo of "I'm taking mine back" hilarity.

It's such a minor issue. Annoying, yes. But some are being a bit dramatic.
  • Reply 97 of 264
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Sometimes we need to be very critical otherwise Apple will get too lazy and products will be more and more half-baked.
  • Reply 98 of 264

Apple need to do two things and fast ... 1) Update Remote and b) Add a cloud back up and restore of all settings and accounts so that Netflix, etc is set up with user names and passwords etc. all seamlessly from the previous Apple TV to this new one. That would be the 'Apple' way of doing things normally.

The cloud backup idea is moot since that would go against the grain of Apple's approach to privacy.

For starters, they could have simply left the 'square' on-screen virtual keyboard as it was before. (I always thought that was a bit of genius from whoever came up with it.)
  • Reply 99 of 264
    The cloud backup idea is moot since that would go against the grain of Apple's approach to privacy.

That's not true. They already have iCloud Keychain on OS X and iOS. It could have been an extension of that.
  • Reply 100 of 264
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Eddie Cue or Tim Cook really needs to respond to this. They can respond to fucking Taylor Swift, but they can't respond to their own users.

1) No iOS or ? WATCH App.
    2) No Bluetooth keyboard support
    3) No Dictation support for any text field, despite the misleading emphasis on Siri.

They literally went out of their way to make it difficult to use the product. Any of the three ways that would have satisfied text entry, for now, are all missing.

Absolutely unbefuckinglievable.