New Apple TV incompatible with Apple's own Remote app for iOS and watchOS

Comments

• Reply 101 of 264
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    focher wrote: »
    Some of these posts are hilarious. The faux outrage starts off as silly minor complaints that have reached the crescendo of "I'm taking mine back" hilarity.

It's such a minor issue. Annoying, yes. But some are being a bit dramatic.

Returning the product? Yes, that's ridiculous.

But this is no minor issue, as far as these things go. I'm huge Apple apologist and excuse maker, and even I am seeing this as a very very very half-baked release
  • Reply 102 of 264
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pmz wrote: »
    Eddie Cue or Tim Cook really needs to respond to this. They can respond to fucking Taylor Swift, but they can't respond to their own users.

1) No iOS or ? WATCH App.
    2) No Bluetooth keyboard support
    3) No Dictation support for any text field, despite the misleading emphasis on Siri.

They literally went out of their way to make it difficult to use the product. Any of the three ways that would have satisfied text entry, for now, are all missing.

Absolutely unbefuckinglievable.

I've been re-tweeting complaints to them. Not sure who reads/manages their Twitter accounts. Maybe Jim Dalrymple saying Apple Music is the worst app on ?TV will get someone's attention in Cupertino. :D
  • Reply 103 of 264
    rogifan wrote: »

I've been re-tweeting complaints to them. Not sure who reads/manages their Twitter accounts. Maybe Jim Dalrymple saying Apple Music is the worst app on ?TV will get someone's attention in Cupertino. :D

What is the Twitter handle to which you retweet?
  • Reply 104 of 264
    This is a big issue. I bought one yesterday and wasted half the day trying to type everything in archaically. Don't buy until they get this fixed! Siri will not help you type!
  • Reply 105 of 264
    Returning the product? Yes, that's ridiculous.

But this is no minor issue, as far as these things go. I'm huge Apple apologist and excuse maker, and even I am seeing this as a very very very half-baked release

It's a weird one that's for sure. Just the fact that there was no press release announcing it was available for sale (not everyone reads Apple rumor sites). A lot of people who ordered online probably wouldn't have if they knew it was going to be in stores on Friday.
  • Reply 106 of 264
    I did mine, last night. And that's the reason. It's not like I can't watch my movies and TV, listen to my music, view my photographs, or do AirPlay in the meantime.

(I did not pre-order, though; I went online yesterday, and discovered that it was available for Apple Store pickup within the hour).

(Aargh... Edited autocorrect...)

then I feel sorry for you. the inability to use an iPhone to input text is an inconvenience, yes, but one that only put me out for about 3 minutes. then my data entry was complete. meanwhile, I'm really enjoying the hell out of it. the Siri functionality is a must-have and I'll never go back.

the time I spent inputting text for a few accounts is far less than I spend constantly correcting the auto-correct on the very device I'm typing on.

inconvenient? yes. deal breaker? of course not.
  • Reply 107 of 264
    What is the Twitter handle to which you retweet?

I've been retweeting to @cue, @pschiller and @tim_cook. If Apple had an ?TV Twitter account similar to what they did with Apple Music I'd be sending them there. I'm not retweeting things from random people on Twitter, I'm only retweeting stuff from tech journalists/iOS developers in my Twitter feed.

When Jim Dalrymple wrote that piece saying he was done with Apple Music he was on a plane out to Cupertino within a matter of days.
  • Reply 108 of 264
    No, maybe my post wasn't clear. I consider them two separate issues. Considering how long Apple's been rumored to be working on this device (I think John Gruber said some of the best iTunes people at Apple have been working on this for many years) even their first party apps are kind of meh. If you don't believe me, Jim Dalrymple tweeted that the worst app on ?TV right now is Apple Music.

Dalrymple also said the product is a pivotal game changer. he couldn't stop gushing about it and praised their attention to detail.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/10/30/apple-tv-hands-on-this-changes-everything/
  • Reply 109 of 264
    Eddie Cue or Tim Cook really needs to respond to this. They can respond to fucking Taylor Swift, but they can't respond to their own users.

1) No iOS or ? WATCH App.
    2) No Bluetooth keyboard support
    3) No Dictation support for any text field, despite the misleading emphasis on Siri.

They literally went out of their way to make it difficult to use the product. Any of the three ways that would have satisfied text entry, for now, are all missing.

Absolutely unbefuckinglievable.

#3 is something I've really been missing. And since Apple has put such a focus on Siri there should be no issues with the device not hearing or understanding what you said.
  • Reply 110 of 264
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Dalrymple also said the product is a pivotal game changer. he couldn't stop gushing about it and praised their attention to detail.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/10/30/apple-tv-hands-on-this-changes-everything/

Hey I'm keeping my device. It's so much better than what I had, but some of the missing things at launch are head scratchers.
  • Reply 111 of 264

Apple Music seems to work on my ATV in a similar fashion as on iOS with the same main sections, but slightly different layout. seems fine; while testing for this post I just found a great new band based on a For You playlist. what exactly is your problem with it?
  • Reply 112 of 264
    It's a weird one that's for sure. Just the fact that there was no press release announcing it was available for sale (not everyone reads Apple rumor sites). A lot of people who ordered online probably wouldn't have if they knew it was going to be in stores on Friday.

that part was odd. I ended up buying a second, in the store, and will return my preorder when it arrives.
  • Reply 113 of 264
    Hey I'm keeping my device. It's so much better than what I had, but some of the missing things at launch are head scratchers.

yeah the lack of iPhone text entry is a head scratcher. but the nerd rage even on this forum is absurd.

I just programmed my ATV remote to control my reciever in about 3 seconds. this is awesome.
  • Reply 114 of 264

then I feel sorry for you. the inability to use an iPhone to input text is an inconvenience, yes, but one that only put me out for about 3 minutes. then my data entry was complete. meanwhile, I'm really enjoying the hell out of it. the Siri functionality is a must-have and I'll never go back.

the time I spent inputting text for a few accounts is far less than I spend constantly correcting the auto-correct on the very device I'm typing on.

inconvenient? yes. deal breaker? of course not.

I appreciate your concern, thank you. I am cool. I had to expend no effort to 'return' my order since I just had to go into my Apple Store account and cancel store pickup. My card was credited.

Moreover, there is not much that @TV4 currently does for me that my V3s can't/don't do, since I am not into gaming. At all. (What does it do for you other than that?)

I got it because I thought it would be nice to have the new remote, Siri, the storage, and slightly better eye-candy. Moreover, supply seems plentiful, so if/when it includes iOS/Watch remote + BT keyboard capabilities, fully functional Siri, a charger (given it costs $200), and the traditional square virtual keyboard, I'll order it for pickup within the hour.
  • Reply 115 of 264
    I just programmed my vizio tv remote and called it a day.

Side note, I'm glad Apple finally allowed hdmi-CEC.
  • Reply 116 of 264
    If Apple had an ?TV Twitter account similar to what they did with Apple Music I'd be sending them there.

It is a bit surprising that Apple does not yet have a generalized Twitter account to which one can post/forward tweets.
  • Reply 117 of 264
    Moreover, there is not much that @TV4 currently does for me that my V3s can't/don't do, since I am not into gaming. At all. (What does it do for you other than that?)

what does it do that my 3 didn't?

- apps (there's more than games, of course)
    - universal search
    - voice search
    - voice controls
    - receiver control
    - Apple Music

...the voice controls are now a must have. "subtitles on", "what'd he say", "who directed this", and the search commands are the new normal.

to claim it can't do much more than ATV3 than gaming is absurd rationalization.
  • Reply 118 of 264
    I am very disappointed that the remote app does not work with the new Apple TV. Does anyone know if the new Apple TV responds to IR commands from the older remotes. My Apple TV 3 is integrated into my home theater and is not controllable for line of site control. I would like to hear this topic discussed in the Appleinsider podcast
  • Reply 119 of 264
    pgpappas wrote: »
    I am very disappointed that the remote app does not work with the new Apple TV. Does anyone know if the new Apple TV responds to IR commands from the older remotes. My Apple TV 3 is integrated into my home theater and is not controllable for line of site control. I would like to hear this topic discussed in the Appleinsider podcast

yes, it does. my set up includes a Logitech harmony one IR remote which is programmed with the older Apple TV remote device. it continues to function on the new Apple TV.
  • Reply 120 of 264

what does it do that my 3 didn't?

- apps (there's more than games, of course)
    - universal search
    - voice search
    - voice controls
    - receiver control
    - Apple Music

...the voice controls are now a must have. "subtitles on", "what'd he say", "who directed this", and the search commands are the new normal.

to claim it can't do much more than ATV3 than gaming is absurd rationalization.

Surely, you jest.