Apple's iPad Pro available to order Wednesday, delivers later this week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jbishop1039 View Post

Probably, but the trip alone would cost me more than the $50 I'd save. If it were the iPhone 6s, now that'd be a different story. Much bigger price difference.

See my above post. Expect the 128 GB wifi model to be around 1249 Canadian.

• Reply 22 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sagan_student View Post

It's actually going to be more than 50$ The 128 GB Wifi Pro will cost 1249. Apple adjusted their prices to match a set exchange rate a while ago and with the state of our Canadian dollar the most you'd be able to save by going down to the states is maybe 50 bucks. Taking in the cost of fuel and staying 48 hours its not worth it at all to make the trip.

I was afraid that was going to happen. I was just basing it off of previous pricing, but I guess the dollar was a little better when those were set. The newer iPhone pricing probably closer reflects how things are going to play out. Side note, you're in Winnipeg? Just moved from there a few months ago. Love it there.

• Reply 23 of 82
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yea for a press release (which the ?TV should have had). So I'm assuming reviews on Wednesday and in stores on Friday then?

On sale Wednesday, delivery by Friday, doomed by next Monday.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    slprescott wrote: »
    Excited. Ordered 128GB WiFi, Keyboard, Pencil. (from MacMall)

I wonder if a smaller Pencil-enabled iPad will become available in the future for kids? I could see kids using this in the back seat of a long car drive.
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Probably. What I'm really waiting for is a breakdown of the A9X, that is a detailed write up on its structure, performance and power characteristics. Apple is making bold claims about the A9X and it would be nice to see how much of that is BS. The claim of being faster than "most" laptops is extremely aggressive. It is possible that A9X has come that far but it needs to be hashed out via good testing.

The thing is I probably won't buy this machine as immoral the opinion that it is too big for what I want and need. I could be convinced otherwise ????????????. The thing is A9X technologies will eventually make it into the iPad Air. This is the sized device that I'm interested in (iPad Air) and I want state of the art performance in the next one I buy. IPad Pro is simply too big for the portability I want.

I doubt their claims will be BS. The A9 already is meeting some i3 performance levels. When you consider that the average Windows notebook costs under $600, it would be surprising if this didn't beat 80% of what's been sold for the last 12 months.

The A9x CPU is up to 90% faster than that of the A8x, while the one for the A9 is "just" up to 70% faster than the one for the A8. That could mean a score of about 3,000, or more per core. That's serious. The A9 GPU is already close to an intel integrated graphics unit in the middle of the range. If the A9x has an additional 50% more units, and it running somewhat faster, that would be pretty fast. I think we're going to be surprised at how good the performance is.

We're ordering two 128GB/cellular models, with Pencil, Wednesday. We've been straining at the leash since its been announced.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sagan_student View Post

It's actually going to be more than 50$ The 128 GB Wifi Pro will cost 1249. Apple adjusted their prices to match a set exchange rate a while ago and with the state of our Canadian dollar the most you'd be able to save by going down to the states is maybe 50 bucks. Taking in the cost of fuel and staying 48 hours its not worth it at all to make the trip.

Yeah, sucks that the dollar has taken a beating this past year. It was nice when Apple products were only slightly higher than US prices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

If the iPhone is anything to go by, Anandtech won't have gotten a pre-release unit because someone at Apple is stupid, so it'll be a bit before a real review comes out. image

The Anandtech review is hilarious. Excellent job by Anandtech to give a detailed analysis of the iPhone 6S including the A9 processor. Followed up by a bunch of upset idiots who claim that Anand is biased because they rated it so highly. Along with other idiots trying to take a single aspect of the iPhone (like the screen) and concluding the entire phone is only average because it doesn't have higher PPI.

The people commenting at Anand and Toms Hardware (two sites I've read for ages looking for detailed insights into hardware) have all turned into blabbering idiots. You used to be able to have a technical discussion on the differences between AMD and Intel or Nvidia and Radeon. Now it's suddenly all forgotten/ignored when Apple is involved. If the A7/8/9 processors had a different manufacturer label on them, they'd be praising its performance and architecture (which are light years ahead of everyone else). Instead they throw years of knowledge out the window and come up with the most ridiculous excuses to try and criticize the worlds most advanced ARM processor simply because it's made by Apple.

• Reply 26 of 82
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

On sale Wednesday, delivery by Friday, doomed by next Monday.

Doomed as in?

• Reply 27 of 82
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Nice!
    Have you ever tried using a pencil (of any sort) in a moving car? At least on Northern roads it isn't a good experience.

That being said I was expecting an iPad Air upgrade this year and thus I'm very disappointed that Apple has focused too much on the pro. Now the thing here is I can see the pencil being useful on all of Apples tablets. As such I have to believe that the tech will migrate to the lesser tablets as soon as Apple has the production capacity.

We've discussed this before. I think Apple had a problem this year with this. Normally, they would use the newest SoC for the newest Air model, just as they did lreviously. But this year, with the Pro, they're stuck.

What SoC would they use for an Air 3? If they use the A9x as they "traditionally" would be expected to do, at a slightly lower speed, then the Air 3 would be a lot faster than the Pro because of the far lesser resolution of the screen. That would not be good! If they use the A9, at a slightly higher speed, then it would be slower than the 6S model phones, because of the higher resolution, and THAT would not be good.

So they are stuck between a rock and a hard place, as the saying goes. The Pro MUST be the best performer. So not updating the Air right now is the on,y real choice they had. It seems that the old iPad 2 is still the most popular iPad out there. Given that, upgrading the Air this year may not matter. I'm typing on mine right now, and it's a pretty powerful model, still.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member

Any idea if the will be 12:00AM PST launch (order) or if will be a later in the day launch? I'm getting it for someone for X-Mas and wondering if can save some sleep.

• Reply 29 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I doubt their claims will be BS. The A9 already is meeting some i3 performance levels. When you consider that the average Windows notebook costs under $600, it would be surprising if this didn't beat 80% of what's been sold for the last 12 months.

The A9x CPU is up to 90% faster than that of the A8x, while the one for the A9 is "just" up to 70% faster than the one for the A8. That could mean a score of about 3,000, or more per core. That's serious. The A9 GPU is already close to an intel integrated graphics unit in the middle of the range. If the A9x has an additional 50% more units, and it running somewhat faster, that would be pretty fast. I think we're going to be surprised at how good the performance is.

We're ordering two 128GB/cellular models, with Pencil, Wednesday. We've been straining at the leash since its been announced.

Apple is always very accurate about performance (unlike Microsoft who lied about the Surface Book being faster than a Macbook by only talking about GPU performance).

I'm very curious to see what the A9X brings. How they got 90% faster is what will be interesting. Sticking to 3 cores and increasing the clock speed slightly to around 2.1GHz would get them there. Going to 4 cores and dropping the clock speed slightly will also work. I'm betting on the former. I know Apple likes to keep clock speeds low, but the A9 is already at 1.8GHz. The iPad was always clocked slightly higher, so 2.1GHz or so isn't out of the question.

• Reply 30 of 82
    If the iPhone is anything to go by, Anandtech won't have gotten a pre-release unit because someone at Apple is stupid, so it'll be a bit before a real review comes out. :rolleyes:

It isn't that so much. Anandtech is very thoughtful in their reviewing. They just came out with their full 6S review last week. They might have one, and publish a short look with a few tested specs, and then, the full review in a week or two.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    jax44 wrote: »
    Is the SIM card the Apple sim universal card?.

Yes, but Verizon doesn't use it, and AT&T locks you to their network with it. I don't use mine with my 6+ because of that, as I'm on Verizon.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    Yeah, sucks that the dollar has taken a beating this past year. It was nice when Apple products were only slightly higher than US prices.

The Anandtech review is hilarious. Excellent job by Anandtech to give a detailed analysis of the iPhone 6S including the A9 processor. Followed up by a bunch of upset idiots who claim that Anand is biased because they rated it so highly. Along with other idiots trying to take a single aspect of the iPhone (like the screen) and concluding the entire phone is only average because it doesn't have higher PPI.

The people commenting at Anand and Toms Hardware (two sites I've read for ages looking for detailed insights into hardware) have all turned into blabbering idiots. You used to be able to have a technical discussion on the differences between AMD and Intel or Nvidia and Radeon. Now it's suddenly all forgotten/ignored when Apple is involved. If the A7/8/9 processors had a different manufacturer label on them, they'd be praising its performance and architecture (which are light years ahead of everyone else). Instead they throw years of knowledge out the window and come up with the most ridiculous excuses to try and criticize the worlds most advanced ARM processor simply because it's made by Apple.

Sometimes I get involved in the comments there, but mostly, as with comments anywhere, you just need to disregard them, unless the reviewer is just writing a subjective review, and gets the facts wrong, as all too often happens. Then, it correct them. Otherwise, who cares about the comments?
  • Reply 33 of 82
    melgross wrote: »
    It isn't that so much. Anandtech is very thoughtful in their reviewing. They just came out with their full 6S review last week. They might have one, and publish a short look with a few tested specs, and then, the full review in a week or two.

They confirmed that unlike previous years, they didn't get a pre-release iPhone this year, which is why the review was delayed.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jbishop1039 View Post

I was afraid that was going to happen. I was just basing it off of previous pricing, but I guess the dollar was a little better when those were set. The newer iPhone pricing probably closer reflects how things are going to play out. Side note, you're in Winnipeg? Just moved from there a few months ago. Love it there.

Yup, I enjoy it too. It's got that little city, big town feel. :D

• Reply 35 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    melgross wrote: »
    We've discussed this before. I think Apple had a problem this year with this. Normally, they would use the newest SoC for the newest Air model, just as they did lreviously. But this year, with the Pro, they're stuck.

What SoC would they use for an Air 3? If they use the A9x as they "traditionally" would be expected to do, at a slightly lower speed, then the Air 3 would be a lot faster than the Pro because of the far lesser resolution of the screen. That would not be good! If they use the A9, at a slightly higher speed, then it would be slower than the 6S model phones, because of the higher resolution, and THAT would not be good.

So they are stuck between a rock and a hard place, as the saying goes. The Pro MUST be the best performer. So not updating the Air right now is the on,y real choice they had. It seems that the old iPad 2 is still the most popular iPad out there. Given that, upgrading the Air this year may not matter. I'm typing on mine right now, and it's a pretty powerful model, still.

I use an Air 2 every day. Not once do I think 'I wish this was faster'. It's possible that an A9X chip in the iPad Air would cause heat and battery issues. I think the trajectory of iPad sales tells us this isn't a device people replace every year. Honestly I don't think we need new iPads every year. And Apple has probably come to this conclusion too hence why we didn't get an iPad Air 3 this year.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    Apple is always very accurate about performance (unlike Microsoft who lied about the Surface Book being faster than a Macbook by only talking about GPU performance).

I'm very curious to see what the A9X brings. How they got 90% faster is what will be interesting. Sticking to 3 cores and increasing the clock speed slightly to around 2.1GHz would get them there. Going to 4 cores and dropping the clock speed slightly will also work. I'm betting on the former. I know Apple likes to keep clock speeds low, but the A9 is already at 1.8GHz. The iPad was always clocked slightly higher, so 2.1GHz or so isn't out of the question.

As told in Anandtech, still, by far, the best place to go for technical reviews, the new process allowed Apple to raise the clock speeds so much, after last generation's tiny amount. That accounts for about 30-40% of the increase in performance. They were surprised that Apple was able to increase the performance so much beyond that. It's FinFet that's allowed this to occur.

I believe they will stick to 3 cores, as I would prefer. It's still much better to have fewer cores running at a significantly higher performance level than more cores running at a lesser performance level. Most of the time, the higher performing cores will make a more significant impact on most functions than more weaker cores, and Apple's advantage in performance shows that. Most work is still limited to one or two cores. And as for multitasking, we still don't use our mobile devices the way we use our "classic" computers. It's why I think Google made a major error in having Android us a multitasking method close to desktops, whereas Apple chose to limit it much more tightly.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    They confirmed that unlike previous years, they didn't get a pre-release iPhone this year, which is why the review was delayed.

Maybe, but their reviews are always delayed.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    ncee wrote: »
    Doomed as in?

Yes. As in.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    nceencee Posts: 857member

Doomed, because it won't be good, doomed because they won't have enough to fill demand, doomed because there will be issues with it

• Reply 40 of 82
    When I read "doomed" I just assumed as in Apple is always "doomed". Lol