Jony Ive: Apple Pencil is made for marking, not a 'stylus' finger replacement

Comments

• Reply 61 of 154
    appexappex Posts: 687member

"Jony Ive: Apple Pencil is made for marking, not a 'stylus' finger replacement".

An the mouse pointer cannot be replaced by a finger o stylus either. Bring a true Mac tablet.

• Reply 62 of 154
    tjwolf wrote: »
    I'm entitled to my opinion. Sure it's good - and, as you said, graphic artists think it's better than the [electronic] alternatives for their *work*. I was simply musing as to whether a *painter* would consider it good enough to make it his primary medium. I can't imagine it, given the disconnectedness I felt.

Have you ever seen Kyle Lambert paint with his finger on an iPad (look on YouTube if you haven't)? His paintings are amazing, think what he will be able to achieve with the pencil rather than just his finger.
  • Reply 63 of 154
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

Does anyone get the feeling that the pencil tech will trickle down to at least the air if not the iPad mini too in the near future. 

The pencil is a great way to differentiate the iPad from the Macbook and iPhone/iPod. The iPad-Pencil combo offers a great canvas and a very natural way of making marks with high precision.

• Reply 64 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

"Jony Ive: Apple Pencil is made for marking, not a 'stylus' finger replacement".

An the mouse pointer cannot be replaced by a finger o stylus either. Bring a true Mac tablet.

Wouldn't it be better to have a dedicated iPad OS that takes advantage of the pencil and magic keyboard? 

OSX on iPad would fool people touching their Macbook screens. It is what Microsoft would do.

• Reply 65 of 154
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think you're missing the point here. While mouse and trackpad support would be nice, we really don't need it. With iOS 9 support for the two finger keypad cursor control, we've pretty much got that. Before, I had a heck of a time moving that cursor around sometimes. Some web sites simply don't handle it well. And for when type is small. But now, it works under all conditions.

I'm typing this on my Pro, as I do almost all of my posting everywhere on my iPads, and have for years now. The cursor control is far better using the keyboard as a trackpad. Love the new keyboard layout, with a couple of exceptions. I simply can't see using the Pencil (whenever it gets here, hopefully this week) to poke at the screen, even if using a keyboard.

Well, especially when using a keyboard.

The touch keyboard cursor is a nice touch, I've been using it now for over a year with my Blackberry Passport. Most of my issues are with using multiple apps, in which I do regularly, in fact I can't remember a single time in which I only had one app up. Like right now, I'm sitting here typing this with my iPad Pro using Opera (I only use crossed platform browsers, email and chat client)I have 4 apps opened, Opera, Tex Equation (handy little code snippet app), Texastic (code editor) and Cathode (terminal app). I'm constantly switching between all four, copy and pasting, typing, reading etc. like a mad  woman. Though the keyboard helps, a mouse would improve my workflow 10 fold, regardless of the current touch keyboard features. I would also except it if Apple just flat out made the touch keyboard into a trackpad, so when I moved my fingers around I would see a mouse pointer, not only while in an app but the entire system as well, slight finger tap to emulate a mouse click. In fact I have know doubt that someone will do this once the iPad Pro is Jail-Break(ed). Though all of that being said, when I'm using the iPad Pro at my desk I prefer using the normal Mac keyboard, no touch controls, so as such, I want support for my Magic Mouse as well. Like the Surface Pro 4, the keyboard is fine for travel but at home I hardly ever use it, instead I use the MS Wedge Keyboard and Mouse.

Look, It's just how I work, I'm not asking Apple to do something that will be destructive to the vision that Apple has for the iPad. They've already added a stylus, something a lot you adamantly stated would not only ever happen but tiresomely tried to convince people that it went against the iPad's paradigm, even went so far to say ow bad stylus's were. So the basic sentiment is, any feature that the iPad doesn't have is useless until it has it. Sorry but that is really a reasonable take on all of this and rightfully so. It's the same thing with my Mac Pro, there are no ifs, buts about it, we need Crossfire support, it's absolutely ridiculous that my GPU related tasks like; rendering and encoding are literally doubled when using Cent OS or Windows. However when I state as much, I'm bombarded with negative comments, that to sum them up, basically tell me to shut up and to just be happy that Apple graced us with such a wonderful machine.  I’m not saying the mouse is such a needed feature but that anytime I bring up something that I really want, I’m met with such opposition that it makes me sound unreasonable.

The iPad Pro is being marketed as a laptop replacement, if not directly, than indirectly because the idea has certainty crossed the mind of everyone who has seen or used one. One of the first images we saw of the iPad Pro was with it's keyboard, as if to say, here's our answer to Microsoft's Surface. People in this forum are comparing it to the Surface Pro. As such there is absolutely no reason for it not to support a mouse or going back to my first paragraph to turn the touchpad into a full blown trackpad, as it's a proven, useful tool for this form factor. Though if they do that I fully expect mouse support as well.

Someone at Apple, most likely Steve Jobs had this idea of what a tablet should really be, which included no mouse or stylus support and at the time was a reasonable idea. However now that the iPad Pro is blurring the lines between the tablet and notebook I just don't understand why something as as simple as support for a mouse isn't available. It would further strengthen the platform and make a lot of else happy. People can still use their iPads the same old way and for those who need, want a mouse will also be catered for. I will be Jail Breaking my iPad Pro as I'm just itching to install OS Experience on it. This handy tool puts apps into windows and allows more than two apps to run at the same time. Something frankly, that the iPad Pro is just screaming to have, with it's display size, fast CPU, ample RAM, etc. Unlike the iPad Air which was just okay when running this application, the iPad Pro will be, without a doubt perfect with it.

• Reply 66 of 154

No, Apple created a product you want and will ship it to you when their production meets your demand.  I want a new sofa but will be delivered in January.  Go figure.  Things need to be made.

• Reply 67 of 154
    iPad Pro - great! aPencil - great! Now all I need is a good handwriting recognition ap. Any suggestions, or should I just dig out my old Newton 2000?
  • Reply 68 of 154
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think you're missing the point here. While mouse and trackpad support would be nice, we really don't need it. With iOS 9 support for the two finger keypad cursor control, we've pretty much got that. Before, I had a heck of a time moving that cursor around sometimes. Some web sites simply don't handle it well. And for when type is small. But now, it works under all conditions.

I'm typing this on my Pro, as I do almost all of my posting everywhere on my iPads, and have for years now. The cursor control is far better using the keyboard as a trackpad. Love the new keyboard layout, with a couple of exceptions. I simply can't see using the Pencil (whenever it gets here, hopefully this week) to poke at the screen, even if using a keyboard.

Well, especially when using a keyboard.

Your post you make clear how bad is the iPad pro from an ergonomic POV.  With the iPad Pro + keyboard I have to reach touchscreen to navigate thru the apps.  Isn't that one of the reason touchscreen notebooks were criticized?  At least with the Surface Pro I have the option to use the trackpad and change the angle of the screen to my preference. 

The iPad Pro has many nice things, but the keyboard and no mouse support is not one of them. 

• Reply 69 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Moreck View Post

The whole point is that tablet operating sytems aren't designed for mouse navigation. If you want to use a mouse, use a Macbook. Text input aside, you're meant to operate a tablet with touch. If Apple added mouse support to iPads, they'd turn into the Apple Surface and would please virtually no one.

With the iPad Air, yes I agree, I can by that but the iPad Pro is being marketed as a Surface Pro type device and many here are directly comparing it to the Surface Pro. Apple wouldn't have made big deal about the keyboard if it wasn't. The keyboard also has a touch cursor feature, so with your logic, Apple is going against the grain sort of speak anyway as everything isn't done on the display as your trying to convey. Spin it which ever way you want but it is similar to a trackpad and mouse as it's able to move the cursor. Why didn't Apple just leave it as it was and forced people to use their fingers for everything. They're compromising, almost like their trying to save face from their past statements on such technology. Like the stylus, you can use it for drawing, just not navigating the system. You can use the keyboard for moving the cursor around n a document, just not navigating the system. Why the restrictions, can't we decide how to use our own devices. look, I'm done, you all know my position, I think it's ridiculous that something as simply as mouse support isn't available and as such and other reasons, I won't be using the iPad Pro for anything other than what I initially bought it for, music creation. Which is fine as it's a fantastic device for that purpose, for my productivity work, I will just continue using my new SurfaceBook that you all love to hate.

• Reply 70 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Hi Relic, a mouse is designed for a bitmap screen that doesn't support touch. The technology of the time made the mouse one way for the user to interact with a bitmap screen.

When you fast forward to today, you quite don't need a mouse coz your finger/pencil becomes the mouse pointer that can freely move anywhere. And for the one advantage a traditional mouse has over fingers being you can see were the pointer is on screen when going from point A-B. But this advantage has been replicated with iOS9 and 3D Touch, whereby when you push down on the virtual keyboard it turns into a trackpad allowing you to move your finger on it. While you move your finger iOS9 draws a mouse like pointer on screen following your fingers movement pattern.

So I have my iPad Pro with the keyboard, and now I have to reach my screen, activate the on-screen keyboard to use the "virtual" trackpad.  Wouldn't be easier if Apple just added a trackpad to the keyboard?

• Reply 71 of 154
    Quote:

The whole point is that tablet operating sytems aren't designed for mouse navigation. If you want to use a mouse, use a Macbook. Text input aside, you're meant to operate a tablet with touch. If Apple added mouse support to iPads, they'd turn into the Apple Surface and would please virtually no one.

So your suggestion is to use the keyboard for typing and reach the screen for navigation, same as the criticized touchscreen notebooks.  You know what, I think people would be more happy with the Surface Pro touchpad than what Apple is offering right now.

• Reply 72 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Why do you want a mouse with iPad? I never thought, "Oh I wish I got a mouse!" I have wished for a stylus only for writing or drawing.  But a mouse? Explain what benefits would arise from using a mouse?

Wasn't the touchscreen notebooks an ergonomic nightmare because of the "gorilla arm syndrome"?  Now I have to do the same movement in the iPad Pro, reach the screen to navigate thru the app.  Compare that to the Surface Pro, where you have the option to use the touchpad to navigate.  Isn't that a benefit?

Even Steve Jobs hated the idea because they are "ergonomically terrible".  Check this link for 2010,

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Steve-Jobs-Touchscreen-Laptops-Don-t-Work-AAPL-2477126.php

That's what you have with the iPad Pro + Smart Keyboard, and "ergonomically terrible" device.

• Reply 73 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steveau View Post

iPad Pro - great! aPencil - great! Now all I need is a good handwriting recognition ap. Any suggestions, or should I just dig out my old Newton 2000?

There are plenty of handwriting recognition apps available for iOS. You can even replace the onscreen keyboard with one, MyScript Stylus. There is also this thing called a search engine, I would suggest you learn how it works, "best handwriting apps iOS".

• Reply 74 of 154
    larryalarrya Posts: 608member

Probably my old, tired eyes, but I keep reading the headline as, "Jony Ive: Apple Pencil is made for marketing,..."

• Reply 75 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

Wasn't the touchscreen notebooks an ergonomic nightmare because of the "gorilla arm syndrome"?  Now I have to do the same movement in the iPad Pro, reach the screen to navigate thru the app.  Compare that to the Surface Pro, where you have the option to use the touchpad to navigate.  Isn't that a benefit?

Even Steve Jobs hated the idea because they are "ergonomically terrible".  Check this link for 2010,

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Steve-Jobs-Touchscreen-Laptops-Don-t-Work-AAPL-2477126.php

That's what you have with the iPad Pro + Smart Keyboard, and "ergonomically terrible" device.

Great link find, pretty much sums up what it's like to use the iPad Pro with keyboard but no mouse or trackpad at the moment.

• Reply 76 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Great link find, pretty much sums up what it's like to use the iPad Pro with keyboard but no mouse or trackpad at the moment.

The iPad screen shouldn't be used upright for typing.* It should lay flat at an ergonomic angle. That's why Apple offers the smart cover. It enhances the touch experience of the iPad.

(*) The design concept of the smart keyboard cover is flawed. It is putting a touchscreen in upright position at a fixed angle, hence creating the need for a trackpad, because it is indeed too awkward to touch an upright screen with narrow base. I'd recommend you to get the Macbook (Air), it has an upright screen which you can put in different viewing angles. It also has a real keyboard and glass trackpad.

• Reply 77 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

With the iPad Air, yes I agree, I can by that but the iPad Pro is being marketed as a Surface Pro type device and many here are directly comparing it to the Surface Pro. Apple wouldn't have made big deal about the keyboard if it wasn't. The keyboard also has a touch cursor feature, so with your logic, Apple is going against the grain sort of speak anyway as everything isn't done on the display as your trying to convey. Spin it which ever way you want but it is similar to a trackpad and mouse as it's able to move the cursor. Why didn't Apple just leave it as it was and forced people to use their fingers for everything. They're compromising, almost like their trying to save face from their past statements on such technology. Like the stylus, you can use it for drawing, just not navigating the system. You can use the keyboard for moving the cursor around n a document, just not navigating the system. Why the restrictions, can't we decide how to use our own devices. look, I'm done, you all know my position, I think it's ridiculous that something as simply as mouse support isn't available and as such and other reasons, I won't be using the iPad Pro for anything other than what I initially bought it for, music creation. Which is fine as it's a fantastic device for that purpose, for my productivity work, I will just continue using my new SurfaceBook that you all love to hate.

I agree with you.

Being able to navigate and open apps with the Pencil is something so obvious that I was pretty shocked (and admittedly a little disappointed) to learn that it didn't work that way. Having used other devices where the stylus works for drawing, marking, navigating and opening apps, its such a natural flow once you have the stylus in hand.

Having to switch to use a finger while holding a stylus can be somewhat annoying. Like having to hit a non on-screen capacitive button where the stylus wont work. I see no harm in being able to use the Pencil to navigate and open apps, or basically do anything a finger would do, only with more precision. That is what I was hoping for anyway.

Regarding mouse or even trackpad support, if someone never pairs a mouse to the iPad they never have to worry about it. But if someone does pair a mouse to the iPad then why not just pop a cursor on the screen? It seems completely reasonable to have it work that way. And it can't be that complicated to have it "just work".

I will never understand the folks who say things like "you are not the intended use case" or "then buy something else for your needs" or whatever. I don't see why these devices can't be more than one thing and solve the problems of both basic and power users. Yes, the out-of-box experience should be as idiot proof as possible and take care of most peoples needs. But hey, pair a wireless mouse to the thing and BOOM! you have a cursor on the screen. What would be the harm in that?

• Reply 78 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Probably my old, tired eyes, but I keep reading the headline as, "Jony Ive: Apple Pencil is made for marketing,..."

Don't confuse the pencil with the smart keyboard cover.

• Reply 79 of 154
    larryalarrya Posts: 608member
    mr o wrote: »

Don't confuse the pencil with the smart keyboard cover.

LOL
  • Reply 80 of 154
    I think there is a spot for every input device. To say "only touch" or "only keyboard and mouse" is crazy. There is no reason for Apple not to include support for touch pad and mice. On an iPad the mouse feels just like a Mac in launchpad mode. But using apps like Excel and others where a mouse/trackpad is the optimal device is where the magic would happen. I also saw the comment from a programmer above which is another good example where the optimal device is not even supported. One of my very few knocks on Apple is they tend to force things on users (or limit choices) like forcing a religion onto someone. I am ok with Apple doing this when the alternatives compromise what they are doing. To offer touchpad/mouse support in the right fashion would only enhance the overall experience especially for those that can replace laptop/desktop with this device. They also need to have better multi monitor support. This would also help in adoption. With that said, I still feel there is a place for a laptop/desktop and iPad/iPadPro.