Apple's Eddy Cue hints at new Remote app for Apple TV, says over half of fourth-gen buyers are upgra

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2015
Apple is at work on a new iOS remote app that will fully replicate the functions of the Siri Remote bundled with the fourth-generation Apple TV, according to the company's senior VP of Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue.

The app should arrive "in the first half of next year," Cue said in a BuzzFeed News interview. He didn't elaborate on details, but full functionality would imply being able to trigger the Apple TV's voice commands for search and playback.

Tuesday's release of tvOS 9.1 enabled support for the existing Remote app. This mainly lets users swipe around using iOS devices or the Apple Watch, and on iOS, type much faster than when using the Siri Remote.

Cue also commented that "a little over half" of Apple TV buyers are coming from the third-generation model, while most of the rest are completely new to the platform. Apple faces a much tougher media player market in 2015, with serious competition from Roku, Google, and Amazon. The Apple TV is the most expensive set-top in the bunch, starting at $149.

Aside from streaming video, games have been "pretty hot" on the new model, according to Cue. He suggested that like the iPhone, the new Apple TV is appealing to casual gamers who might not be prepared to buy something like an Xbox One or PlayStation 4.

"I think Apple TV expands the gaming market to those people," he said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    What’s Eddy talking about? Everybody who bought one returned it in disgust and bought a FireTV. I read that right here on AI. 
    pmznolamacguycornchip
  • Reply 2 of 21
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Half are upgraders? Then the market is already becoming saturated and Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    A new remote App is definitely needed because the SIRI Remote outclasses the current Remote App by far.  I actually like the single line text entry virtual keypad a lot.  Tricks like holding down the touch pad on the letters make it great.

The new Remote App needs to incorporate the Home and Siri buttons and also game controller features.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    i hope the iOS app utilizes AirPlay mirroring as well so that you don't have to look at the TV to navigate the menus. Just reverse the image from the TV onto the iPad, or iPhone and literally access the UI directly on the remote device. The ease of streaming apps directly from my iPad via AirPlay makes it much more convenient than navigating with the TV UI, even with the existing iOS Remote app.

Its interesting that the timing of this announcement coincides with the rumor that there will be a brand new TV released early next year as well. Regardless, I will definitely wait until I see how all this pans out before I upgrade my TV 3. I'm not a gamer so that doesnt really motivate me, and I've yet to see anything radically different from what I already have, yet. Eager to see what must have apps developers create for the living room.

Was sorry to see it confirmed that Apple has decided not to move into program packaging deals at this time, but the fact it was confirmed that Apple is in the position to launch those services, is good news for everyone speculating what Apple would do. I suspect when Apple does finally launch it will blow everything else out of the water.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 5 of 21
    It's too bad the remote app wasn't available at launch. Most of the complaints from reviews and early adopters was text input for search and entering passwords. First impressions matter and having the remote app from day one would have made a far better first impression.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    A new remote App is definitely needed because the SIRI Remote outclasses the current Remote App by far.

They are distinctly different hardware and no amount of programming on Apple's part is going to change that.

Swiping will always be better on the Siri Remote.
    Siri will always be better on the Siri Remote.
    The Remote App can't do volume control.

Where I find the Remote App useful is for:
    1. Text Entry
    2. Quick input when I don't have the remote on me.
    3. Browsing Home Sharing library on the device and selecting a playlist or video from there.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    the current apple tv remote app is so crappy. wish apps would push custom controls to the phone/ipad so that i'm not just using my touch screen as a dumb touchpad.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I'm not sure how Mr. Cue can say: "games have been "pretty hot" on the new model" as there really aren't that many and most would seem too simple even for the phone, let alone a big screen. I know Apple doesn't control the developers but how many multiplayer games have been released? Where is Afterpulse (which was supposed to be a launch title)? Right now, it seems like there are about 10 serious games, all of which are just ports from the phone. That is a little unsettling for the ATV's future as a gaming device. Of course, this is just a long way of admitting I was wrong in thinking that it would have a strong games focus (and regretting buying two controllers at launch).
  • Reply 9 of 21
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    schlack said:
    the current apple tv remote app is so crappy. wish apps would push custom controls to the phone/ipad so that i'm not just using my touch screen as a dumb touchpad.
    What you want is the "dual screen" experience. And it doesn't involve the Remote App. Or is unlikely too. When that happens, it will likely be using the same third party App on the TV as the iPhone/iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    pmz said:
    schlack said:
    What you want is the "dual screen" experience. And it doesn't involve the Remote App. Or is unlikely too. When that happens, it will likely be using the same third party App on the TV as the iPhone/iPad.

Basically like Microsoft's SmartGlass app for Xbox. I'd love to see this kind of thing for Apple TV.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 said:
    Its interesting that the timing of this announcement coincides with the rumor that there will be a brand new TV released early next year as well. Regardless, I will definitely wait until I see how all this pans out before I upgrade my TV 3. 
    there will most certainly not be another new ATV early 2016. that would be insane this one just came out.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

It's too bad the remote app wasn't available at launch. Most of the complaints from reviews and early adopters was text input for search and entering passwords. First impressions matter and having the remote app from day one would have made a far better first impression.
    id be willing to bet that most PITS (Persons In The Street) had never heard of the app nor used it. techies on rumor sites and writing/reading reviews? sure. normal people? i doubt it. 

thus their decision to prioritize launching over waiting for the Remote app was certainly the correct one.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 13 of 21
    mac_128 said:
    Its interesting that the timing of this announcement coincides with the rumor that there will be a brand new TV released early next year as well. Regardless, I will definitely wait until I see how all this pans out before I upgrade my TV 3. 
    there will most certainly not be another new ATV early 2016. that would be insane this one just came out.
    It wouldn't be unprecedented. The third gen iPad was released in March of 2012 and the fourth was released in November of that same year
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 14 of 21
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    runbuh said:
    Half are upgraders? Then the market is already becoming saturated and Apple is doomed.
    Well, with the new ATV4 out just over a month, perhaps that is a premature comment?  Apple did almost "zero" advertising for the previous ATV, so it isn't like the broader market was that aware of Apple's TV box offering at all.  They are advertising now to bring in new users, but that does take time.  At $149 USD, it does make a good Christmas present.  

This is a long game.  ATV4 really helps expand the Apple/iOS/App Store ecosystem into the living room.  Games / apps that cross seamlessly from iPhone / iPad to ATV will have a strong attraction.  But getting this message out & to be understood such that it affects purchasing decisions takes some time.  
  • Reply 15 of 21
    mac_128 said:
    It wouldn't be unprecedented. The third gen iPad was released in March of 2012 and the fourth was released in November of that same year
    A 4th Gen Rev A Apple TV wouldn't be surprising to me. They did it with the 3rd Gen.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    mac_128 said:
    Although that's true, that upgrade schedule was an anomaly. 
    lord amhran
  • Reply 17 of 21

id be willing to bet that most PITS (Persons In The Street) had never heard of the app nor used it. techies on rumor sites and writing/reading reviews? sure. normal people? i doubt it. 

thus their decision to prioritize launching over waiting for the Remote app was certainly the correct one.
    What were they waiting for? Even if a lot of people didn't use the app, entering passwords and search terms using the remote is a PITA.  Seems to me that should have been a top priority for launch. And this is all about providing the best user experience; you know the reason people pay a premium for Apple products.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    lkrupp said:
    What’s Eddy talking about? Everybody who bought one returned it in disgust and bought a FireTV. I read that right here on AI. 
    Both can be true, since returning the item does not remove it from the number of sales described by him.  Legalese is wonderful.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 19 of 21
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

If people are desperate for another option then the packed-in remote is bad. I hope they fix this. With all the tech Apple owns I was disappointed they didn't add features like Taptic Engine and TouchID.

Addressing this when it was revealed only spawned hate comments that I didn't know what I was talking about.
    Apple fans were explaining features were cut to make AppleTV a "budget device".
    Yeah, suddenly Apple is a cheap budget brand. (While XBOnes and ps4's are selling at $400+)

True, and this means the AppleTV  should have been better thought out. Most people will NEVER download the Remote App. The experience should be hassle free from the start.

Re:Next Gen AppleTV

I can guarantee you when Apple gets their TV service sorted out, a new bad a** AppleTV will be revealed. This will be the big one. The current one is more of a mandatory upgrade that fans were begging for, for years.

pmz said:
    schlack said:

Basically like Microsoft's SmartGlass app for Xbox. I'd love to see this kind of thing for Apple TV.
    SmartGlass for Xbox was made as a direct response to Wii U.
    If Nintendo ever gets it's head out if it's a** I hope they destroy these copy cats who bring ZERO innovation to gaming.

Nintendo's TVii app was freaking GENIUS but with ZERO marketing and ZERO support(from Nintedo themselves) it never took off. The ability to comment on shows, clips and screen caps, draw on show screenshots, bet on sports games, simplified TV program UI etc. was so futuristic.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 20 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    A new remote App is definitely needed because the SIRI Remote outclasses the current Remote App by far.  I actually like the single line text entry virtual keypad a lot.  Tricks like holding down the touch pad on the letters make it great.

The new Remote App needs to incorporate the Home and Siri buttons and also game controller features.
    I would care less of Remote App if Siri remote can do Voice Dictation like in other iOS devices by clicking on the text entry field and holding the mic button to activate it or clicking on the field to load a virtual keyboard like in iOS devices w a cursor that is controlled by the remote touchpad.
    edited December 2015