boycot .mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm all for it. Bandwidth, maintenence and the like are NOT free. They cost Apple. Funny how people have no problems paying $80 for some tennis shoes or a sweater but balk at paying for Software or services. If you can do without...then do so but I'm sure plenty of people want more individual attention. It's only $8 per month.
  • Reply 21 of 137
    Im SO pissed about this. I had all my mail going through mac.com because I was switching services fairly regularly, but theres no way in hell that Im gonna shell out good money so that I can have an email adress that I cant even acess online, a bloody proxy address!
  • Reply 23 of 137
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]I hate the fact that Apple is leading the way to a subscription based internet.<hr></blockquote>

Apple is following, as usual, and is behind on the curve. The are just making it a tight package for their userbase and giving it a pretty face.

The fact that Jobs even mentioned .NET is a complete joke. .Mac is a couple of internet services controlled by Apple and overpriced (it is from Apple, after all).
  • Reply 24 of 137
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>

It does cost them money, that's for sure. I also know people with 5 or 10 iDisks set up - that's got to cost them alot.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is a very good point. There are many individuals that have multiple accounts. It is over extending the free service. It consumes money an resources multiple time for one individual.

Additionally, I use the IMAP feature of my mac.com mail everyday, from multiple places. My ISP doesn't do it and my web-server doesn't do it. And I can't find one that will do it for 8 bucks a month more than I pay now.

Worth it just fro that alone, I say.

Peeps, it is a service. One that costs money to maintain and improve upon. With all the other iApps that are free we need to realize that somewhere the free lunch had to stop somewhere. And they were smart in choosing a place that other already charge for and one that is elective.

I will day a free 6 months with a purchase of a new computer would be a nice incentive, though.
  • Reply 25 of 137
    moosemanmooseman Posts: 126member
    ...reminds me of when I used to do a beer promotion for my restaurant. Instead of paying the band, we would sell 32oz pitchers of beer for 1¢ between 9-10 (around the time the band got ready to start) if you had a door stamp showing you had paid the cover to get it. So, we gave away what amounted to 2 kegs of beer ($130) and the bands made $500-600. And the brtenders made killer cash. Win-win-win.

...except, we began cultivating a crowd that expected free shit all the time. Soon, the began taking it for granted, quit tipping well, started bitching about having to wait in line, started bitching about the pitcher size, etc.

It seems Apple has dug itself the same hole here. All you whiners complain about .mac and how the bundling used to make macs worth more, while completely overlooking iChat, Sherlock 3, iCal, and iSync, four completely top notch new apps Apple is giving you for free. And with .mac, it gives you capabilities you can't even get on another platform.

Oh, and lets not forget iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, QuickTime StreamingServer, and QuickTime Broadcaster, all also available for free. I dunno about you, but I feel its a damn fine deal I already get and I will happily pay $99 a year ($49 this year) to have my Palm, iPod, and Macs at work and home all synced.

Plus, given the fact that I curently don't have anti-virus software or backup software, I think its a steal.

Yet, you bitch cuz you don't get free e-mail. Hmmm. Some people can't see the forest for all the trees.
  • Reply 25 of 137
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    And what is the exact definition of .NET, Groverat? Most of the benefits we have seen so far from .NET have been a handful of subscription services.

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 137
    I liked the keynote, i will definitely upgrade to .Mac because it has sh!t i can use and want to use. Im a consumer user who was going to upgrade iTools for more space anyways so now its like getting a bunch of other great features and future features for free.

I cant wait for Jaguar. M$ wont be able to match that in Windows 2011.

peace to the whiners
  • Reply 28 of 137
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    You guys are a bunch of cry babies. You all must be in highschool and not have jobs for the summer. WA! Welcome to the real world were people BUY things they want or need. For crying out loud, wake up before noon, shave, put some close on and get a honest job.

There is a saying your daddies and mommies use to say to you, remember? Nothing in this world is for ....
  • Reply 29 of 137
    [quote]Originally posted by mooseman:

<strong>...reminds me of when I used to do a beer promotion for my restaurant. Instead of paying the band, we would sell 32oz pitchers of beer for 1¢ between 9-10 (around the time the band got ready to start) if you had a door stamp showing you had paid the cover to get it. So, we gave away what amounted to 2 kegs of beer ($130) and the bands made $500-600. And the brtenders made killer cash. Win-win-win.

...except, we began cultivating a crowd that expected free shit all the time. Soon, the began taking it for granted, quit tipping well, started bitching about having to wait in line, started bitching about the pitcher size, etc.

It seems Apple has dug itself the same hole here. All you whiners complain about .mac and how the bundling used to make macs worth more, while completely overlooking iChat, Sherlock 3, iCal, and iSync, four completely top notch new apps Apple is giving you for free. And with .mac, it gives you capabilities you can't even get on another platform.

Oh, and lets not forget iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, QuickTime StreamingServer, and QuickTime Broadcaster, all also available for free. I dunno about you, but I feel its a damn fine deal I already get and I will happily pay $99 a year ($49 this year) to have my Palm, iPod, and Macs at work and home all synced.

Plus, given the fact that I curently don't have anti-virus software or backup software, I think its a steal.

Yet, you bitch cuz you don't get free e-mail. Hmmm. Some people can't see the forest for all the trees.</strong><hr></blockquote>

word to that [standing 'O']
  • Reply 30 of 137
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Blizaine ]</p>
  • Reply 31 of 137
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by JPF:

<strong>

There is a saying your daddies and mommies use to say to you, remember? Nothing in this world is for ....</strong><hr></blockquote>

But iTools was free, wasn't it?
  • Reply 32 of 137
    right... but .mac (or current iTools) will give you 5MB and if you want that much, then you have to pay for it...
  • Reply 33 of 137
    This is pathetic. Do you people know how much it costs to host all that stuff? I don't, but I know it's not free for Apple.

It's always been true that you get what you pay for. The Great Myth of the Internet is that content would be free. That bubble burst a few years ago.

Software costs money to develope, hardware costs money to maintain and upgrade. Bandwidth (especially to 2.2 million people) costs money.

Why on God's green Earth would you think you get that for free?

Enjoy the free ride you had then open your eyes to the real world: Businesses offer something, customers pay for it. If you don't like it, don't get it.

Free e-mail? No such thing. Yahoo! and everyone else ends up swamping you with ads and spamming your box to death.

$100 for everything Apple is offering doesn't sound so bad. Heck, I'm not even going to use it, but it's still not a bad deal.
  • Reply 34 of 137
    Ok... how about everyone who has something to say to Apple about .mac go here:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac.html</a>;

They listen to our OS X and iApps feedback, lets see if they listen to us about .mac.

All I want is the old iTools package back for well under $100. Personally, I don't need more than 5 megs worth of email, a 100 MB iDisk, or virus and backup software (already have those two).

It would also be nice to see barebones mac.com email for a dirt cheap price and fowarding for free.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    iTools free? Um, not really. Apple just builds the cost into the hardware. Remember, they still make a profit (except for that Cube quarter)

Here's a question: Would you pay $4,000 for an iMac and get say, 5 years of all software and web upgrades/services for FREE? Or Would you pay $2000, and buy the upgrades and service you wanted for the next 5 years?

eh?
  • Reply 36 of 137
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by MaCommentary:

<strong>right... but .mac (or current iTools) will give you 5MB and if you want that much, then you have to pay for it...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right, and that's reasonable, but they should still have a free option with less space.
  • Reply 37 of 137
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    To repeat ymself, I think a good PR move would be a minimal Mac.com e-mail account for new users for a trial period. That could be excellent incentive along with the fact that they don't have to buy extra web page, backup or virus software.

Anyway, as far as the .NET vs. .mac thing, NeXT really was thinking ahead with WebObjects, and Microsoft does deserve some credit for thinking of bringing this kind of paradigm to consumers with .NET. No one owns the idea, no one thought it up on their own. The more important question about these web-based services is: how far do you go with this idea? Think Free Office already is dependent on its links to the internet, and Office is sure to follow. Now, I don't like the idea of depending on Apple's servers any more than I would want that stuff on Microsoft's. The important thing here is that your important data is still local. We'll have to see if either MS or Apple understand the line between service and servitude.
  • Reply 37 of 137
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    You're a bunch of whining crybabies.

You can't get ANYTHING on the 'net for free anymore. Even game news sites like IGN and Gamespot have gone subscription. Jesus, SLASHDOT went subscription. Now Apple, our beloved fruit lord, comes out with their own subscription plan and you have the balls to bitch about it?

Part of the reason was because many of you assholes abused it. You set up a new iTools account whenever you wanted to add more space, instead of purchasing more. Hell, there were iTools accounts registered just to show off stupid spoof Switch ads. This is costing Apple money, and you now all suffer by having to pay full price for Jag and $99 for .Mac.

I honestly have no problem with paying for either, and can easily justify the costs for both, especially with the $50 rebate on the .Mac side of things.

Jag is more than just a point-release, and you God-damned know it. It's much bigger than the jump from 8 to 9, and probably even bigger a jump than 9 to 10, considering functionality. Sure, it may have "10.2" printed on the box, but that is simply because Apple wants to keep X going for as long as possible. You are the same people that point fingers at Microsoft for labeling their latest Windows version "XP," and going with a whole new naming scheme, when it offers minimal functionality over Win2000.

To say that .Mac is just email and iDisk is to say that you were actually trying to look down Ellen Feiss' shirt throughout the whole keynote and weren't actually paying attention to what Steve was talking about. This is just the beginning, and I can see .Mac getting implemented and adding functionality in a variety of ways to every key application in OS X. Think iPhoto's ordering model. It can only grow from there.

Besides, you're acting like Apple is charging an insane amount of money for their services. For bitching iTools members, you can start for a mere $50. That's just FIFTY BUCKS! Four dollars a month, and fifty cents per megabyte on your iDisk.

From the consensus around here, I gather that many of you are under 18. When you grow up, you'll find that fifty bucks is nothing. It's paper. Fifty bucks is paying for dinner at Friday's one night. Fifty bucks goes in a flash. To say that it deeply expands your Mac experience--and God, do we love our Macs--for an entire YEAR, Apple's subscription plans seems like pennies.

So get out there, credit card in hand, and turn on 1-Click for Christ's sake.
  • Reply 39 of 137
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Unlike many here, I don't use mac.com e-mail. I do, however, use iDisk for off-site back-up of critical files. None of the other .Mac services are that appealing to me, and $99/year for just iDisk isn't worth it.

Since .Mac will only be $49 for the first year for current users, I'll sign up for that much. It's probably worth it to keep my iDisk and to get the anti-virus software. After that, Apple with have to provide more services that are useful to me (such as domain hosting and web hosting with CGI), or they'll have to provide a la carte services (say $20-$25/year for iDisk by itself)... or I'll just find another backup solution.
  • Reply 40 of 137
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    JPF right on!

I hate coming into threads and seeing a bunch of whiners. I don't visit as many threads these days as I used to..

Just over a quarter a day for .mac services.. which of course will get better and better moving forward.. How did any of you whiners afford your Mac in the first place?!

This iCal thing sounds like the Exchange server here at work, but over the Web.. cool.