Donald Trump promises to make Apple manufacture in US instead of China

Comments

• Reply 21 of 187
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mobius said:
    You guys saying he doesn't know what he's talking about are missing the bigger picture. He doesn't need to say things that are plausible or even possible. He just needs to say things that stupid people will think are great so he can up his poll count. There's no shortage of stupid people it would seem.
    There is actually a limit.  As any psychologist can explain, the bell curve that shows the IQ for any given sample of people has a median of 100 so exactly half lie on the left hand side of the curve with an IQ <100.
  • Reply 22 of 187
    And the sad thing is he uses a Samsung phone. At least Apple is an American company manufacturing overseas, Samsung is an overseas company manufacturing overseas.
    lostkiwiration alanton zuykovlarryacalifrankiechiaargonautpalominenolamacguy
  • Reply 23 of 187
    Trump can tell Apple where to make its computers after he stops having his buildings constructed using imported overseas laborers and his Trump line of business clothing sewn in overseas sweat shops.
    I have to assume that most of the building material, HVAC and building control systems, elevators, electrical and plumbing fixtures, tiles, marble, wood, etc. are sourced from or assembled abroad.
    bobschlobanton zuykovchiacnocbui
  • Reply 24 of 187
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    But wouldn"t you guys rather prefer your iPhone is made in the USA instead of China ? 
    mwhiteenorl76tallest skil
  • Reply 25 of 187
    Maybe if Apple could bring home the money that it already paid all the legal taxes on overseas and was not facing double taxation if they did, they just might manufacture more here.  IDK, just a thought.  I stand ready to be flamed as it's not a subject I know much about.
    NO they don't want to pay US taxes so they don't get to.  Sorry, F your tax holiday BS.  And I love apple products.

ronncnocbui
  • Reply 26 of 187
    redefiler said:
    If only we jam Trump up inside Obama, then we'd finally have both the ying and yang of retarded, self-absorbed candidates in one compact form.

Democrats who see this guy as a pariah, look in the mirror.  You're to blame right along with your Republican friends.   Your team has been whining about corporate's foreign income for years, and created this whole stupid notion as some sort of foil for your union parasite allies.  Trump is now pandering the same idea back to your stupid political base.
    I miss the old forum format that allowed blocking posts from certain typically rabid members, hence reducing the number of seconds spent daily on having to scan hyper-inflated opinion fluff...
    mwhitemuppetrybobschlobMacProlostkiwilarryadsdronnargonautbancho
  • Reply 27 of 187
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Maybe if Apple could bring home the money that it already paid all the legal taxes on overseas and was not facing double taxation if they did, they just might manufacture more here.  IDK, just a thought.  I stand ready to be flamed as it's not a subject I know much about.
    Well they're not being taxed twice (double-taxation) on their foreign profits would be the first thing.  Foreign taxes already paid would be deducted from the taxes owed the IRS. That's IF Apple ever intended to "bring it all home" in the first place. BTW, most of it is here in the US anyway, only technically "overseas". 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 28 of 187
    ireland said:
    This guy is a dangerous idiot. You need to win first Trump. And even at that they are a company you moron. You don't have the authority.
    He's a populist. He's just saying things people want to hear in this case.

Let's look at Hillary Clinton's plans:  

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/plan-raise-american-incomes/

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/workforce-and-skills/

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/labor/

Hmm... I find nothing in her Issues list which addresses problems such as anti-competitive dumping, IP theft or currency manipulation. I do see a lot of "steal from the rich and give to the poor" rhetoric and freebies for her union buddies, however.
    edited January 2016 enorl76tallest skil
  • Reply 29 of 187
    redefiler said:
    If only we jam Trump up inside Obama, then we'd finally have both the ying and yang of retarded, self-absorbed candidates in one compact form.

Democrats who see this guy as a pariah, look in the mirror.  You're to blame right along with your Republican friends.   Your team has been whining about corporate's foreign income for years, and created this whole stupid notion as some sort of foil for your union parasite allies.  Trump is now pandering the same idea back to your stupid political base.
    I miss the old forum format that allowed blocking posts from certain typically rabid members, hence reducing the number of seconds spent daily on having to scan hyper-inflated opinion fluff...
    Apologies, I take it back. I just figured out how to "ignore" a poster. Yay!
    macky the macky
  • Reply 30 of 187
    When Apple tells Foxconn to turn on the production lines for a new product, Foxconn can hire 27,000 industrial Engineers in less then a month, and have them on site and working in days after they are hired. That would be an impossibility in the U.S. It would take months even a year or more to pull that off here. And it's that surplus of trained engineers and their desire to do whatever is needed (live in a dormitory, eat fish heads, have no social life, etc.) that separates Chinese workers from USA workers...

USA engineer wants to relocate their family, study the local schools, find a house to buy, negotiate a moving fee, and a process that goes on and on... The Chinese engineer is interviewed on Monday and is hard at work on Tuesday. End of bullshit. The USA hasn't seen that kind of ability to build up production instantly since WWII.
    mwhitesingularityflaneurcaliargonautpalominecityguide
  • Reply 31 of 187
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Shame on the fools who've been letting Trump continue with his ridiculous sideshow while masquerading as a presidential candidate. I can't fathom how any legitimate political party can allow itself to be represented by such a blathering idiot. He's free to embarrass himself to his own hearts content and for the public's morbid entertainment, but at some point the republicans have to say "enough is enough" and send him back to his own twisted, narcissistic, and fabricated little universe. Yeah, I understand some people are unhappy with the current state of affairs but you don't sink the ship that your sailing on just because you don't like the captain. I've never seen a public figure that brings together so many moronic, nonsensical, and asinine traits all in one person. Most people without serious cognitive impairments, and non psychopaths, have at least one admirable personal quality. Trump has none, which makes me believe that this is all a big joke on the American people to poke fun at US politics. It's not funny anymore. Time to go home Donald. Show's over.
    muppetrysingularityration allarryaargonautpalomine
  • Reply 32 of 187

Not so easy.... Get the infrastucture and skill set back first !! US of A.. You have been blindly exporting those for decades now.. Not much is left here in USA
    Tim Cook himself has said the manufacturing base and the vocational labor supply simply does not exist in the US anymore. It's long gone.
    mwhitemacky the mackykibitzerpalomine
  • Reply 33 of 187
    Tim Cook explains why Apple doesn't manufacture in the U.S.

Start watching at the 05:16 mark...

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/inside-apple-part-two/

• Reply 34 of 187
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    How is it even possible with the US manufacturing?!?! We just don't have the capacity to meet the demands. Those jobs will NOT return to USA, period.
    mwhitemacky the macky
  • Reply 35 of 187
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Why is a Politician can lie though their teeth telling people clearly incorrect things that are popular and there is no recourse?
    Yet lying on a job application is considered fraud?
    lostkiwianton zuykovcnocbuipalomine
  • Reply 36 of 187
    In a campaign speech at Virginia's fundamentalist Liberty University on Monday, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump tangentially promised that he would force Apple to manufacture its hardware in the US instead of looking to overseas labor

"We're going to get Apple to build their damn computers in this country instead of other countries," Trump said

Everyone has the right to say something idiotic occasionally. Apparently Donald Trump is making it a full-time job.

edited January 2016 macky the mackysingularityfrankiecnocbui
  • Reply 37 of 187
    When Apple tells Foxconn to turn on the production lines for a new product, Foxconn can hire 27,000 industrial Engineers in less then a month, and have them on site and working in days after they are hired. That would be an impossibility in the U.S. It would take months even a year or more to pull that off here. And it's that surplus of trained engineers and their desire to do whatever is needed (live in a dormitory, eat fish heads, have no social life, etc.) that separates Chinese workers from USA workers...

USA engineer wants to relocate their family, study the local schools, find a house to buy, negotiate a moving fee, and a process that goes on and on... The Chinese engineer is interviewed on Monday and is hard at work on Tuesday. End of bullshit. The USA hasn't seen that kind of ability to build up production instantly since WWII.
    Then again, a Chinese worker in a factory cannot sue their employer for discrimination, join a union, or a long list of other legal threats that undermine the viability of US-based businesses every day.
    frankie
  • Reply 38 of 187

mattinoz said:
    Why is a Politician can lie though their teeth telling people clearly incorrect things that are popular and there is no recourse?
    Yet lying on a job application is considered fraud?
    Ask every president who has ever held the office.
  • Reply 39 of 187
    He did not say he would "force" Apple to do anything. There are many appropriate ways to "get" companies to use American labor - assuming they are available. Tim Cook says they aren't. Others say they are here. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. The tax, regulatory and union environment in the US discourage companies from expanding in the US. Trump might be able to influence some of the needed changes for Apple to build more computers in the US.
    hodar
  • Reply 40 of 187
    Donald Trump is a Buffon and a clown and anybody who votes for him is nuts.
    ration alanton zuykovfrankieargonautcnocbui