Apple sells 74.8M iPhones, rakes in $75.9B in revenue in company's biggest quarter ever

Comments

• Reply 61 of 135
    Mr_Grey said:

Personally, I think Apple's (seeming) desire to make the iPad a sort of Jack of all trades and not make any models specifically for actual work, is really Apple's achilles heel.  They should be making cheaper, plastic iPads for all the "consumption" type people out there, and "pro" metal versions with greatly differentiated (hardware) features for those people who want to use them to replace their laptops.  The concept that they all have to look the same, act the same, and have the same features is faulty IMO.  
    I would agree to an extent. I would buy one designed for music production (extra ports) in a heartbeat.
    palominecali
  • Reply 62 of 135
    Mr_Grey said:

Possibly because it costs an arm and leg and doesn't actually have much over and above the original iPad to justify that $2000 price tag.  Making an "alternative to a PC" that in some cases costs more than a PC but actually does less, is hardly a recipe for success. 
    It doesn't cost $2000.
  • Reply 63 of 135
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    AppleInsider said:
    "Our team delivered Apple's biggest quarter ever, thanks to the world's most innovative products and all-time record sales of iPhone, Apple Watch and Apple TV," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "The growth of our Services business accelerated during the quarter to produce record results, and our installed base recently crossed a major milestone of one billion active devices."

Of course the above comment about the AppleWatch could still mean a small number of sales since it hasn't been out long at all. But the fact Cook mentioned it at all is a good sign of sales.

He mentioned the watch but not iPad. Which leads me to believe iPad Pro sales were soft. 
    I was looking at getting an iPad Pro, but with the £679 base model only being 32GB plus an insane £79 for the pencil it's just way too expensive, especially when considering how limited iOS is. The 128GB model with pencil is slightly more than the price of the hugely more capable Surface Pro, with all its ports. The iPad still just seems like a giant phone to me. I find it's hard to be productive on an iPad (I have an iPad Air) with its giant iPhone apps, which I think is a bit of a consequence of the apps being universal between iPhone and iPad. For me, a device with the size and expense of the iPad Pro really needs more software functionality to justify its price tag.
    cali
  • Reply 64 of 135
    Apple is shifting the narrative to services and monitizing install base. Time for Eddy Cue to step up.
    caliicoco3
  • Reply 65 of 135
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member

iPads ain't phones. The market is by now saturated with them, and older models are still going strong. 

And the largest iPhone naturally eats into iPad sales. Pretty sure Apple is just fine with that. 

But even in 2016, there are still many who don't understand Apple. Which is fine, because this crowd is most amusing come quarterly report time. 
    No, sorry I don't think for one minute that Apple is "just fine" with iPad sales continuing to decline every quarter. Especially in a quarter where a brand new model was released. This was a 25% YOY decline. Who would be happy with that?!?
    I don't know they're fine with it, but they have said they don't worry so much if one of their products takes sales from the other.  Since nobody else seems to be taking sales from Apple, my guess, is like others have said,that the larger phones took sales.  It seems like most of the innovation has been on the phones (first at least) and the replacement cycle is longer.
  • Reply 66 of 135
    elijahg said:
    He mentioned the watch but not iPad. Which leads me to believe iPad Pro sales were soft. 
    I was looking at getting an iPad Pro, but with the £679 base model only being 32GB plus an insane £79 for the pencil it's just way too expensive, especially when considering how limited iOS is. The 128GB model with pencil is slightly more than the price of the hugely more capable Surface Pro, with all its ports. The iPad still just seems like a giant phone to me. I find it's hard to be productive on an iPad (I have an iPad Air) with its giant iPhone apps, which I think is a bit of a consequence of the apps being universal between iPhone and iPad. For me, a device with the size and expense of the iPad Pro really needs more software functionality to justify its price tag.
    Have you even used an iPad? Try using Astropad with an iPad pro and you realise how much potential the pro has in a professional market. Wacom should be worried
    fastasleepcali
  • Reply 67 of 135
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ac1234 said:
    sog35 said:
    Revenue would have been $81 billion if not for currency head winds.
    If my Aunt had balls she would be my Uncle...
    That's genderist. I think. 
  • Reply 68 of 135
    Being an analyst on Wall Street must be like being Mrs. Cleo- just look in you crystal ball and say some shit. It is amazing people still take these charlatans seriously. 
    edited January 2016 cali
  • Reply 69 of 135

sog35 said:
    Stock is now down.  We could easily see $92.

Really the only thing that can stop this drop is the buyback.

I still conclude that Tim Cook has done a piss poor job of controlling the narrative. Slowing revenue growth in certain quarters is a fact of life when you are the size of Apple. Yet companies like Coke, McDonalds, and AT&T do not have PE's of 10 like Apple.

I think Cook needs to be fired.

We need a CEO to lead the next chapter of Apple from being a pure hardware player to a software/services giant.
    What happened to Tim Cook needs to refute these lies!!! Now you're changing your narrative because the facts were more in line with the rumors.
    Quite frankly, given the "currency headwinds" and other issues, it seems like Cook is running things quite well.  Would we prefer a CEO that isn't a genius at running the company but spends his/her time blowing smoke up our asses?   Maybe sog would.
    retrogustosingularitycaliicoco3gtrpscooter63
  • Reply 70 of 135
    iPad sales down 5M YOY.
  • Reply 71 of 135
    iPad sales down 5M YOY.
    Even after including first burst of iPad Pro buyers. 
  • Reply 72 of 135
    Other revenue up 62% YOY. Luca sais "especially strong results" for Watch in the quarter.
    cali
  • Reply 73 of 135
    ac1234ac1234 Posts: 138member
    ac1234 said:
    I'm listening to Cook read his prepared comments - a lot of financial engineering talk - nothing exciting - he is pathetic.

This is a financial earnings call it's not supposed to be exciting.
    If excitement and innovation is in your culture it permeates most facets of the business, including earnings calls - they are much more than financial in nature and you very well know that.  Cook sounded like he was in excuse making mode and re-hashing worn out comments on the stickiness of Apple customers, making products to please their customers, blah blah.  The market hears that worn out stuff and reacts.
  • Reply 74 of 135
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Horrible. If it weren't for Google's billion $/yr subsidy, Apple would be bankrupt!

/s
    edited January 2016 palomineai46chia
  • Reply 75 of 135
    ac1234 said:
    sog35 said

...Really the only thing that can stop this drop is the buyback....

What are you smoking????  What has the $100,000,000,000 spent on buybacks gotten us thus far?  Oh - that would be the same stock price that AAPL was trading at 3.25 years ago.

Buybacks to prop up stock price is a huge sign that the markets have no confidence in the stock - and very fleeting in effect.
    Buybacks do also get us a marginally better EPS and perhaps kept the stock higher than it otherwise might have been.  Anyhow, hindsight is 20/20.  Investors were clamoring for buybacks and they got them.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 76 of 135
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    shahhet2 said:
    iPad sales down 5M YOY.
    Even after including first burst of iPad Pro buyers. 
    How long was iPad Pro available for the quarter? Though that one struck me as a niche product all the way, much like the Mac Pro....
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 77 of 135
    So Luca admitted higher prices in some markets impacted demand.
  • Reply 78 of 135
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,067member
    entropys said:
    The iPad pro is a market protection ploy. It isn't ever going to b a volume seller. Apple needs to keep the iPad mini, for the same reason, but it will lose sales to the 6s+, but I seriously doubt Apple loses any sleep about that. But the meat and potatoes iPad Air has not been upgraded. It needs some serious attention.

the iPad needs some serious attention to truly make it a laptop replacement. What functionality does it need to make it the go to device for workplaces? Apple coasted on initial success. A big mistake.
    Luca just said Eli Lilly already made the switch - their field personnel no longer use laptops, but iPads exclusively.

palominecalichia
  • Reply 79 of 135
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    minglok50 said:
    You signed up just to say that? 
    I've been following this forum for ages and I've finally had enough of sog35 and his same rhetoric of getting rid of Tim Cook, even though he's presided over one of the most successful periods of Apple! It is pretty obvious that Wall Street will never give Apple a chance. More of a opportunity of Apple buying back stock at a undervalued price.
    You didn't tell him anything he hasn't been told repeatedly. 
  • Reply 80 of 135
    minglok50 said:
    I've been following this forum for ages and I've finally had enough of sog35 and his same rhetoric of getting rid of Tim Cook, even though he's presided over one of the most successful periods of Apple! It is pretty obvious that Wall Street will never give Apple a chance. More of a opportunity of Apple buying back stock at a undervalued price.
    You didn't tell him anything he hasn't been told repeatedly. 
    What can I say - I finally took the bait! Who would he want as a replacement - Donald Trump?