Apple sells 74.8M iPhones, rakes in $75.9B in revenue in company's biggest quarter ever

Comments

• Reply 81 of 135
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    iPad is getting canibalized by 6+ and 6s+
    Exactly. Better to eat yourself than be eaten by a stranger.
    I vote for the stranger.  ;)
    singularitycnocbui
  • Reply 82 of 135
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    A 25% YOY decline in iPads is not a good sign. 
    What's not a good sign is you not paying attention to age-old reports.

iPad sales are down because customers are opting for bigger-screen iPhones, which happen to also have higher margins than iPads.  What next?  Complain that Apple canabalizing its own products is worse than those same customer just buying a non-Apple product instead?

Please Mr. Einstein... do enlighten us on what Apple should be doing?
  • Reply 83 of 135
    sflocal said:
    What's not a good sign is you not paying attention to age-old reports.

iPad sales are down because customers are opting for bigger-screen iPhones, which happen to also have higher margins than iPads.  What next?  Complain that Apple canabalizing its own products is worse than those same customer just buying a non-Apple product instead?

Please Mr. Einstein... do enlighten us on what Apple should be doing?
    iPhone sales aren't up 25% and will actually be down YOY next quarter. So it's hard to say iPad sales declines are due to more iPhone sales.
    cali
  • Reply 84 of 135
    Well Apple is certainly doomed. The BBC says "Apple reports slowest iPhone sales growth since the product's launch."
    I would ignore anything that the BBC say when related to Apple. Their technology correspondent dislikes Apple and takes pride in tweeting negative Apple press even if it was proved incorrect. Take the Panorama piece about Foxconn as an example.
    cali
  • Reply 85 of 135
    Maestri said  "Apple sees a 5 to 10% decline on a “constant-currency” basis for next Quarter" , from Q&A session 

At least, one good thing is , decline in stock price was already priced in based on supplier revenue forecasts, so no further pain for next quarter, even with decline in revenue.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 86 of 135
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    Stock is now down.  We could easily see $92.

Really the only thing that can stop this drop is the buyback.

I still conclude that Tim Cook has done a piss poor job of controlling the narrative. Slowing revenue growth in certain quarters is a fact of life when you are the size of Apple. Yet companies like Coke, McDonalds, and AT&T do not have PE's of 10 like Apple.

I think Cook needs to be fired.

We need a CEO to lead the next chapter of Apple from being a pure hardware player to a software/services giant.
    You're guessing because you're scared. Face it, you don't have the nerve to be a long term investor. Sell you shares and ease your ulcer. 
    revenant
  • Reply 87 of 135
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:

No, the only thing that can stop it is to pay the taxes on the overseas hoard and and announce an increased dividend.  The Carl Icahn inspired buyback you so admire has been a colossal failure, and still you can't see it.
  • Reply 88 of 135
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    iPad is getting canibalized by 6+ and 6s+
    Well as Mr. Cook has noted in the past, Apple research indicates that the repacement cycle for iPads is far less frequent than that of a iPhone device. People will upgrade to new iPads once more compellling new features are added to a new 'must-have' iPad device.
    Say hello to files, for iOS.
    singularity
  • Reply 89 of 135
    60% of the install base has not upgraded to a 6/6 Plus, 6S or 6S Plus. Only 9% upgraded in Q1. That seems awfully high. Is that due to prices or more people than thought didn't want larger screen phones?
    edited January 2016 asdasd
  • Reply 90 of 135
    sog35 said:
    Revenue would have been $81 billion if not for currency head winds.
    But basically these supply chain rumors weren't all BS. Tim Cook all but confirmed that Q2 iPhone sales will be down YOY. And there was no mention of iPad in the press release which makes me think it was nothing to write home about.
    No, that doesn't mean they weren't BS. What it means is that Apple is expecting iPhone sales to drop off a cliff because customers are going to wait for the new models. I expect Mac sales will do the same. 

The iPad could probably do with stylus support and handwriting recognition across the board. I'd like to see that, but for all I know I could be the only one. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 91 of 135
    So what? Everything has its cycle of growth and then decay.

The iPad Pro has yet a chance to prove itself for its unique power, form factor, new software, and features.
  • Reply 92 of 135
    60% of the install base has not upgraded to a 6/6 Plus, 6S or 6S Plus. Only 9% upgraded in Q1. That seems awfully high. Is that due to prices or more people than thought didn't want larger screen phones?
    Just wait until the iPhone 7!
    (kind of /s)
    palomine
  • Reply 93 of 135
    It just means, that existing iPhone are good to use as it is and they will continue using it unless really needs an upgrade. (Just think in line of iPads)
    Also "No more $199 phone with 2 year contract" from all 4 US carriers is going to hurt them more, then help with new  installment plan as far as I see it.

canukstorm
  • Reply 94 of 135
    Rayz2016 said:
    No, that doesn't mean they weren't BS. What it means is that Apple is expecting iPhone sales to drop off a cliff because customers are going to wait for the new models. 
    He said comparing Q2 YOY is difficult because last year there was a significant amount of catch-up from a supply-constrained Q1. So, Q2 last year was elevated for reasons that were not present this year. 
    drewys808cali
  • Reply 95 of 135
    So missing the Q1 consensus & lower Q2 guidance than last year are all positive news? Apple is far from being in trouble, but is there even a pretense of impartiality in the headline? 
    asdasd
  • Reply 96 of 135
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:

No, the only thing that can stop it is to pay the taxes on the overseas hoard and and announce an increased dividend. 
    How would losing $35billion increase the share price?
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 97 of 135
    (kind of /s)
    My family is moving from Note3s to IPhones but are waiting for IPhone7, also getting watches but waiting for Watch2 like many people. 
    calicanukstorm
  • Reply 98 of 135
    Rayz2016 said:
    cnocbui said:
    No, the only thing that can stop it is to pay the taxes on the overseas hoard and and announce an increased dividend. 
    How would losing $35billion increase the share price?
    It wouldn't, but cnocbui wants to paint Apple in a negative light as always
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 99 of 135
    murfapp said:
    (kind of /s)
    My family is moving from Note3s to IPhones but are waiting for IPhone7, also getting watches but waiting for Watch2 like many people. 
    100% of users have not yet updated to the Apple Teleporter from the 18th gen Apple Car.
  • Reply 100 of 135
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member

iPads ain't phones. The market is by now saturated with them, and older models are still going strong. 

And the largest iPhone naturally eats into iPad sales. Pretty sure Apple is just fine with that. 

But even in 2016, there are still many who don't understand Apple. Which is fine, because this crowd is most amusing come quarterly report time. 
    No, sorry I don't think for one minute that Apple is "just fine" with iPad sales continuing to decline every quarter. Especially in a quarter where a brand new model was released. This was a 25% YOY decline. Who would be happy with that?!?
    Seriously people buy junk tablets for under $100 now that didn't even exist when the iPad was introduced. Bottom line is there are now 50 manufactures that are losing their shirts just to buy into the market, so how can Apple maintain market share with the likes of Amazon just giving away tablets. Apple never cares about market share anyway they care about profits so eventually those customers buying junk will look for quality over cheap price tag.
    minglok50nolamacguycali