Donald Trump says Apple should back down in San Bernardino case

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    It always makes me think taht people who are obsessed with privacy, are up to no good. Those who do not want to do do anything illegal or bad don't have to be afraid.  Most people live their lives in cyberspace anyway and their data is subject to hackers all over the place, they have no problem posting it all on Facebook but are bent out of shape when law enforcement needs to get info about terrorists. Cook should give up this fight.  I'd rather be safe than worried about someone knowing what I'm up to if I intend no harm.  
    ben20
  • Reply 22 of 131
    sog35 said:
    Giving the FBI an encryption key is the same thing as giving the FBI a master physical key that can open every single door on the planet.

Do you want the FBI to have a key they can use to open your front door anytime they want?
    Or open your car anytime they want?
    Do you want the FBI to go into your house while you are at work?

That is EXACTLY what the FBI wants from a digital perspective. 

There are other ways to find out who these terrorist are working with. The FBI needs to find a better solution that does not compromise the privacy and safety of the innocent.

All lock manufacturers in the US are required to manufacture a skeleton key and submit it upon request to the government. This is a bad analogy.

Digital security cannot be handled in the same fashion as physical, laws are outdated and need to modernise to deal with modern technology. Apple is absolutely right to stand up in this fight. It's not just Apple vs. the Government - it's all companies, and the very privacy of the nation's people vs. the government.
    cali
  • Reply 23 of 131
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Further proof this guy is a idiot. 
    Except that it's likely that Hillary Clinton, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, and John Kasich have similar positions. Bernie Sanders likely doesn't.
    mr ocornchip
  • Reply 24 of 131
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Apple Bud said:
    I thought that Republicans were against government intrusion? 

Perhaps the issue with Trump is that he has so much going on, he doesn't take the time to stop and really think about the impact of what he is saying. Supporting this decision means that he wants us all to just give up on our privacy.

We tend to think of government as an entity, but there are people working at these offices that would have access to you information. Where people are involved, there is always a chance for the information to be used in a wrong way.
    Republicans also tend to support "law and order." Given Trump's popularity with the white working class, I'm not surprised at his position, though I am disappointed.
  • Reply 25 of 131
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Apple Bud said:
    I thought that Republicans were against government intrusion? 

Perhaps the issue with Trump is that he has so much going on, he doesn't take the time to stop and really think about the impact of what he is saying. Supporting this decision means that he wants us all to just give up on our privacy.

We tend to think of government as an entity, but there are people working at these offices that would have access to you information. Where people are involved, there is always a chance for the information to be used in a wrong way.
    Fully correct, but Apple is also full of people.  So if Tim says Apple cannot get access to the device, I tend to be as skeptical as for the civil servants.  The error 53 saga just confirms my suspicion:  Apple has been abusing the security in order to get the full lucrative repair market for iOS devices.
  • Reply 26 of 131
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Good luck to the US citizens if that clown Trump ever gets to be President. In the UK, I think our ‘special relationship’ with the US will be dead in the water. Mind you, we have our own Corbyn clown to put up with.
    It's actually the conservative Theresa May the UK Home Secretary wants phones decrypted. 
    http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2016-01/13/theresa-may-defend-surveillance
  • Reply 27 of 131
    From another perspective, if the government is making one iPhone out to be the only thing they have to make connections to other criminals / terrorists, then they're doing a pretty crappy job in the first place.  I agree with Tim Cook, that once the government gets a taste of free access to iPhones, they will both use it unfettered (as they've done in data mining and voice recordings for years) AND it will end up in the hands of some Russian or Chinese hackers.

I can just see, a couple of years from now, when hackers gain access to a "back door", the people who supported it will be retired and those that took their place will say it's not their fault.  Typical government reaction, blaming someone from the past and not taking responsibility to fix the problem.
    calichiadysamoria
  • Reply 28 of 131
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Or maybe we should just "hope and pray" like they're always telling us to do.
  • Reply 29 of 131
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    sog35 said:

muppetry said:
    Having just read Tim Cook's statements on this I'm now confused. He implies that Apple could create a software tool to break into the phone but that such a tool would be "too dangerous to create" - presumably in the sense that they could not, subsequently, prevent its widespread use as a backdoor to any iPhone.
    Cook is correct. Once this tool is created the government will next request they have full access to the tool.  And when that happens the bad guys will get access to it also.

I agree - but I'm trying to reconcile what seem to be conflicting statements on whether such a tool can be created. Tim Cook has previously stated, I believe, that the encryption implementation prevents even Apple from getting the data. But if Apple can create a tool to allow them to extract the data, then the previous statement is surely incorrect.
  • Reply 30 of 131
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Sorry Donald. I think I want to look in your cell phone. Just might be something there you know. Could be incriminating when taken out of context. So lets get yours, Barack's, Hillary's, and Bernie's and have some fun with it. Lets see who goes to jail first.
    calidysamoria
  • Reply 31 of 131
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    I think if Trump gets elected he will be invited to go on an open top tour of Dealey Plaza. 
    massconn72
  • Reply 32 of 131
    You have to admire a guy who has no qualms spouting off about something he doesn't understand /s. There is a danger that Trump will turn off the internet switch, if Cook doesn't comply, and we know he can because he's really really smart. Enough tongue and cheek for today ...
  • Reply 33 of 131
    @Trump
    Ok, go ahead and open up for the FBI. But be prepared to take the irrevocable rejection of Apple products from the rest of the world thereafter. Or do you intend to open up the iPhones to foreign intelligence agencies as well — like those in China, Belarus, Venezuela, Somalia, or why not Russia? They are all Apple customers.
    Perhaps you should use your head first, and then comb it later.
    edited February 2016 calichia
  • Reply 34 of 131
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I don't care what Trump says.

The reality is that if this has the oversight of elected officials, they should do it. In the UK they do this stuff quite well: parliamentary committees vote & oversee.

16 innocent people were murdered. Help law enforcement do their job.

This is Snowdon/Greenwald level conspiracy stuff. Give me a break.
    Help law enforcement do what job?   They already know who committed the murders and they know why.   Even if Apple could open the phone, what do you think is going to be on there?   My bet is absolutely nothing of significance.   But let's say there is:   let's say there's some text message or phone message recorded with some ISIS member in Iraq or Afghanistan who told them "kill as many Americans as you can".    What's that going to do?  We're never going to find that person.   So this is all much ado about nothing.  We don't need a specific message to know that there are terrorists who want to kill Americans.   

The Government gets us to give up our rights by creating fear.   Trump, Cruz et al, get us to give up our rights by creating fear.

In the U.S., more people have been killed by ladder accidents than by terrorism.   In 2012, 10 Americans were killed by terrorists, 2 were injured and 3 more were kidnapped.   In 2013, the numbers were 16 killed, 17 injured and 12 kidnapped.   From the CDC: "In 2011, work-related ladder fall injuries (LFIs) resulted in 113 fatalities (0.09 per 100,000 full-time equivalent* [FTE] workers), an estimated 15,460 nonfatal injuries reported by employers that involved ≥1 days away from work (DAFW), and an estimated 34,000 nonfatal injuries treated in EDs."

I forget the number of people killed by guns in the U.S. each year, but I think it's around 30,000 (not including suicides) and no one gives a crap.   Why?   Because in that case, we care more about our supposed Constitutional rights than we do about the result.    The same should be true about intrusions into our phones.   Theoretically, I don't have a problem with Apple opening this phone (if indeed they can) once ordered by the Court.   The problem is that opens a can of worms where, as others have posted, the FBI, CIA and police units will go to court in order to get the tool to use for themselves.   And if Apple can do it, hackers can do it.  And once hackers can do it, that makes all of us, far less safe.

tomkarlAnichiamnbob1ktappebrakkencnocbuidysamoria
  • Reply 35 of 131
    Mr. Trump seems to identify too well with fear as an excuse to extend government power to the detriment of liberty.  This is not a quality we want in a leader.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 36 of 131
    I had the exact same words in my mind while reading the article.
    brakkendysamoria
  • Reply 37 of 131
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    zoetmb said:
    I don't care what Trump says.

The reality is that if this has the oversight of elected officials, they should do it. In the UK they do this stuff quite well: parliamentary committees vote & oversee.

16 innocent people were murdered. Help law enforcement do their job.

This is Snowdon/Greenwald level conspiracy stuff. Give me a break.
    Help law enforcement do what job?   They already know who committed the murders and they know why.   Even if Apple could open the phone, what do you think is going to be on there?   My bet is absolutely nothing of significance.   But let's say there is:   let's say there's some text message or phone message recorded with some ISIS member in Iraq or Afghanistan who told them "kill as many Americans as you can".    What's that going to do?  We're never going to find that person.   So this is all much ado about nothing.  We don't need a specific message to know that there are terrorists who want to kill Americans.   

The Government gets us to give up our rights by creating fear.   Trump, Cruz et al, get us to give up our rights by creating fear.

In the U.S., more people have been killed by ladder accidents than by terrorism.   In 2012, 10 Americans were killed by terrorists, 2 were injured and 3 more were kidnapped.   In 2013, the numbers were 16 killed, 17 injured and 12 kidnapped.   From the CDC: "In 2011, work-related ladder fall injuries (LFIs) resulted in 113 fatalities (0.09 per 100,000 full-time equivalent* [FTE] workers), an estimated 15,460 nonfatal injuries reported by employers that involved ≥1 days away from work (DAFW), and an estimated 34,000 nonfatal injuries treated in EDs."

I forget the number of people killed by guns in the U.S. each year, but I think it's around 30,000 (not including suicides) and no one gives a crap.   Why?   Because in that case, we care more about our supposed Constitutional rights than we do about the result.    The same should be true about intrusions into our phones.   Theoretically, I don't have a problem with Apple opening this phone (if indeed they can) once ordered by the Court.   The problem is that opens a can of worms where, as others have posted, the FBI, CIA and police units will go to court in order to get the tool to use for themselves.   And if Apple can do it, hackers can do it.  And once hackers can do it, that makes all of us, far less safe.
    I'm sure that they are primarily looking for contacts in the US, as they should be. 
  • Reply 38 of 131
    jungmark said:
    Dump Trump. Clearly he doesn't understand technology. 
    Yeah, like a lot of the other candidates do... give me  break.

I will not vote for Trump (unless it came to Trump v. Sanders, in which case I have no idea what I'll do), and I think he's wrong on this issue, but he's tapping into a deep well of utter and complete disgust with and contempt for -- both legitimate, in my view -- business-as-usual politics in the US. People are simply tired of the bought-and-paid-for politicians that are screwing everyone, regardless of whether they're on or from the Right or the Left.

The rest of the world may be in for a shock in November.
    cornchip
  • Reply 39 of 131
    maria f said:
    I'd rather be safe than worried about someone knowing what I'm up to if I intend no harm.  
    Yes, the problem is: if the Feds get their way, then you won't be safe anymore. Privacy is not just about keeping what you do and think private. It is also about minimizing attack surfaces.

It's like you have these unbreakable windows against burglars, and the Feds are asking the manufacturers to put a weak spot in it so they can break it for Fighting Terrorism™. They promise that only they will break the glass. The problem is that the burglars won't be held to the Fed's promises. And now you have security glass with a way of breaking it.
    cornchipafrodriAnichiabrakken
  • Reply 40 of 131
    Every time I see Trump on TV I feel like I'm back in the '70s and my frickin RCA TV's color control has gone haywire again. Takes me a while to realize no, these are accurate high definition colors, they just don't look like they belong on a human.
    As far as Cook's position is concerned, I think he's taking a dangerous stance -- butting heads with a judge often has very unpleasant consequences. Only someone with all the might of one of the largest companies in the world behind him, and hopefully some strong political allies and advisors, can afford to do this and escape unscathed. The wording itself is very strong, too. He could have argued that it was technically impossible for Apple to disable the auto wiping, but instead took a stand. Try doing that next time you're compelled by a court to do something and you'll be sent to jail so fast your head will spin.

Then again, the paranoid will say that the FBI also required that he made this public statement after actually complying with the order, so that terrorists and criminals keep using iPhones believing they're protected. Who knows :-)
    cornchip