Apple developing iPhone and iCloud encryption that counters FBI-requested workaround, reports say

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    When, not if, Apple's attitude protects a deadly attack, please remember your support of privacy over safety. Apple's attitude is misleading if not outright dishonest.

When, not if, somebody gets shot by a gun, remember your congress and senate that allow selling military grade rifles to anyone.
    When, not if, another (of the about 300k people a year) dies because of preventable medical mistakes or infections, remember why your government spends Billions in weapons, wars and saving investment banks instead of spending them in hospitals.
    Hypocrites...
  • Reply 82 of 94
    iBrownguy said:
    It's not Apple's job to protect us from "a deadly attack." They make phones and computers.  And last I checked, people in San Bernadino were killed by guns not Apple's iPhone. 
    And by accessing the iPhone in question they might be stopping a future attack by those Guns. You are right that it's not Apple's job to protect us from attack. But is it right for Apple to shield the FBI from trying to stop the next one?
    You seriously believe that? If I want to encrypt my data securely I can do that with or without Apple and you cant access my data not even in a billion years without reading my mind. So stop the bullshit. Preventing end to end encryption on iPhones just puts everybody, except the skilled people (most probably also wannabe terrorists) at the mercy of the agencies.
    hydrogen
  • Reply 83 of 94
    How ironic! Thanks to the FBI’s attempts to break into iPhones, Apple is going to make iPhones and iCloud unhackable. (Yay!)
  • Reply 84 of 94
    might need to address this whilst there at it

https://twitter.com/ArjunKharpal/status/702535248412856323?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    play doh the unbeatable cracker?!!!
  • Reply 85 of 94
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    hk625u said:
    What I can not understand is why Apple hasn't already done this years ago. Why did they build the huge backdoor into their security architecture? Technically, this is very easy to do and could have been done 10 years ago. If somehow the government tries to make such a design illegal I will be among the first to protest in Washington. On the other hand I will fully understand if Apple continues to sell the existing version with its backdoor in China.
    What huge backdoor?
    Even for Apple, getting into a 5s and up phone will take a huge effort, potentially.
    They need to, and the touch ID phones they'd need to be able to extract the part of the keys from hardware (the other being your passcode), recreate a custom chip that has this key, but no delay or wipes, put it back into the phone and brute force it like the 5c, which if you use a long passcode, can take decades.

The 5c is a bit easier especially with a short passcode because you can bypass most of the delays and the 10 try wipe.

edited February 2016
  • Reply 86 of 94
    frac said:
    pembroke said:
    Re:
    "Our job is to protect our customers, and our customers have incredibly detailed information on their phones. There's probably more information about you on your phone than there is in your house," Cook said in Friday's ABC interview, noting many people keep contact information, health records, private communications and more on their smartphones. "So it's not just about privacy, but it's also about public safety."

Is total privacy a human right? Is total privacy possible? Is total privacy natural? I'd say "no" to all three. Anyone living in a small community has little to no privacy, apart from what they do behind closed doors. Once they participate in a communal event (and what is the cellular network and the internet if not communal?) then an expectation of total guaranteed privacy is fanciful. 

Re:  "There's probably more information about you on your phone than there is in your house"
    Well, perhaps THAT is the problem, People should stop holding so much key information on their phones that are made to operate across a public utility like the cellular network and the internet. If mobile phones disappeared tomorrow people would adjust and adapt and continue to function quite well.

Re: "Re: "Our job is to protect our customers"
    Is it? Apple's job is to make sure that their mobile phones can connect to industry standard telecommunications protocols, otherwise no one would buy their phones. And that's about it as far as Apple's 'job' is concerned. If people want to hold all their banking info and other info they want to keep from the eyes of others on their phones that use the public utilities then that is their concern, not Apple's. You can have all the total privacy you want if you don't use a phone of any sort or send eMails across public networks.  

If I manufacture a paper notepad and people write private information on it, it is not my job to guarantee that no one else can see that paper notebook, especially if it is being sent across some communal network to someone else. 

Even if known 'subversives' are sending letters through the post, government authorities can request judicial authority to open that mail, in the interests of general public safety. 

And of course, who decides who is a subversive? The great and the good within the judicial system. And can we guarantee that those people really ARE great and good? There will never be a unanimous agreement over who is deserving of being 'great and good', particularly relative to others.

Keeping information pursuant to community safety secret, or not a secret, is the job of the Community's security agents, not Apple's.  You can have total guaranteed privacy if you live alone on an island...but "no man is an island". 
    I'll thank you 'not' to tell me what I 'should' and 'should not' be doing. Anybody using "people should..." along with confused general statements lacking logic and reason, is, in my world, deluded, hopelessly parochial and arrogant to boot.
     I 'choose' to use Apple's services. I choose to keep my cyberself world on my phone. Apple provides a secure solution to that storage and Apple, realizing that much of it is personal and private handles the security aspects  for user trust, in such a way that is not susceptible to the whims of political dogma, over reaching by intelligence agencies or illegal actions by those seeking to steal that data for nefarious purposes.
    The rest of your diatribe consists of irrelevant logic failure.
    Wow, have you checked your blood-pressure recently?

Well, I think you SHOULD....go easy on the apostrophes as they're superfluous in the manner in which you used them. :smile: 

Would you characterise the intelligence agency's desire to know the contents of the San Bernardino killer's phone as 'over-reaching' or 'nefarious'?  It may really annoy you that intelligence agencies have the ability to see your stuff, but if it weren't for intelligence agencies breaking codes like the Nazi enigma code Europe and beyond would have crumbled. 

Re: " I 'choose' to use Apple's services. I choose to keep my cyberself world on my phone"
    Bully for you.
    Unfortunately, asserting a choice in itself has no bearing on its justification. You say that Apple provides a secure solution of which you are happy. Yes, so you like THAT security, THAT security is fine; but when it comes to supporting the /security of the community/ in terms of protecting against similar San Bernardino attacks you're reluctant to support that security if in so doing it challenges your personal security. Do you see the hypocrisy? After you've been mowed-down by the brethren of the San Bernardino killers your relations and friends will be placated by the knowledge that at least your bank codes, your recipes, your plan for world domination, your bawdy limericks are all on your phone safe from prying eyes.
  • Reply 87 of 94
    I love it.
  • Reply 88 of 94
    JamesBB said:
    LOL. Each time you turn on your smart phone phone its tracking your location and everything you do including your contacts etc allowing Apple to resell your info to 3rd parties who pay big bucks for it. Its called data mining
    Absolutely, if you are an Android user. As for Apple, i don't know where you got that piece of info. Last time i read their financials, their income was entirely related to hardware sales and subscription services... do you have access to financials that the rest of us don't?

Apple sees it as their primary differentiation that they DON'T have an interest in your personal stuff. That (and a superior sw/hw integration) is how they stand out compared to the Androids of this world...

• Reply 89 of 94
    When, not if, Apple's attitude protects a deadly attack, please remember your support of privacy over safety. Apple's attitude is misleading if not outright dishonest.

Don't forget the ever important case where airplanes have been built over national monuments and habitable or historical sites where both human lives and historic uno can/has been lost.
    cali said:
    Attack of the Idiot One-Posters part II
  • Reply 90 of 94
    sflocal said:
    I really like this proactive approach.  By the time this works its way through the legal system, Apple (hopefully) would have upgraded iOS to a point where it can just give the US government (and any others) a big "F**k You, good luck with that!".

I'm ashamed that my government is attempting to play on the ignorance of its citizens to flat-out violate my right to privacy.  I would totally expect it in China, or in Iran, but in my country?  Shameful.

Keep up the good work Apple!  If anything, all the press about the iPhone being so secure, it's pissing-off the FBI has got to be good!
    I am ashamed an American company is helping terrorists kill Americans, and that Americans are cheering that.  Darwin award, anyone?
  • Reply 91 of 94
    ejkr said:
    sflocal said:
    I really like this proactive approach.  By the time this works its way through the legal system, Apple (hopefully) would have upgraded iOS to a point where it can just give the US government (and any others) a big "F**k You, good luck with that!".

I'm ashamed that my government is attempting to play on the ignorance of its citizens to flat-out violate my right to privacy.  I would totally expect it in China, or in Iran, but in my country?  Shameful.

Keep up the good work Apple!  If anything, all the press about the iPhone being so secure, it's pissing-off the FBI has got to be good!
    I am ashamed an American company is helping terrorists kill Americans, and that Americans are cheering that.  Darwin award, anyone?
    Please turn in your badge as you leave and never return.
  • Reply 92 of 94

JamesBB said:
    If you knew what the NSA really has access to, you would wish your data was stored in China or Iran... Hoover and the Stasi's of George Orwell are thriving in the US. Don't be fooled! The great USA may proudly boast about their founding fathers and all their civil liberties... but those rights are gone long ago, while only the most educated noticed...
    LOL. Each time you turn on your smart phone phone its tracking your location and everything you do including your contacts etc allowing Apple to resell your info to 3rd parties who pay big bucks for it. Its called data mining
    Not if you go into settings and turn off all location services--except when you actually need to use them.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    ejkr said:

Not if you go into settings and turn off all location services--except when you actually need to use them.
    When apps ask to know your location, just say no.
  • Reply 94 of 94
    JamesBB said:

apple ][ said:
    Every sane person should have a gun, if they so desire. It's their right. And they should definitely use it too, should the situation warrant it.
    Those who are fearful of a gunless society, just look at chrime and homicide rates in developed countries with strict gun regulation. USA have 10 times more gun related homicides per capita than Germany...Why? Because of an almighty weapons industry with a huge economical incentive to continue the ongoing civil war...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Seriously, we cannot continue to pretend that we live in the wild west and allow underaged gunslingers to roam the streets... Let's evolve as a species like the rest of the world.
    Too late. Here, where we are already awash in illegal guns, the underage gunslingers will continue to get them on the black market, and only the law-abiding will be deterred by laws.  Your remedy misses the mark completely, and leaves the law-abiding defenseless. This is  Folly.