Comey: 'Of course' FBI would leverage precedent in San Bernardino case

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Does this make him a liar?

• Reply 22 of 56
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If Apple creates a software to get into any locked iphone to by-pass security than that software can be used on stolen iphones to unlock and sell it again. Now, FBI and law enforcement won't like that as they praised Apple for adding a layer of security to deter/discourage thieves stealing and selling iphones which brought down significantly the number of pickpocket and other way of stealing iphones..So, law enforcement, pick a side.
    jfc1138baconstangcornchippalominebrian greenlostkiwi
  • Reply 23 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    wood1208 said:
    If Apple creates a software to get into any locked iphone to by-pass security than that software can be used on stolen iphones to unlock and sell it again. Now, FBI and law enforcement won't like that as they praised Apple for adding a layer of security to deter/discourage thieves stealing and selling iphones which brought down significantly the number of pickpocket and other way of stealing iphones..So, law enforcement, pick a side.
    I early on had the same thought. What happened to all the LEO whining about Apple having to enable bricking the phones so they wouldn't be such a theft target?
    brian greenlostkiwi
  • Reply 24 of 56
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    jfc1138 said:
    wood1208 said:
    I early on had the same thought. What happened to all the LEO whining about Apple having to enable bricking the phones so they wouldn't be such a theft target?
    You have to wonder if a wipe command has already been sent to it floating around waiting for it to connect to a the cell network.
    cornchipbrian greenlostkiwi
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Urei1620Urei1620 Posts: 88member
    wood1208 said:
    that's the heart of the issue. FBI wants Apple to hack an iPhone while it is the FBI that should be hacking it or finding ways around this problem. This is their job as an intelligence agency, not Apple's. This is embarrassing.
    edited March 2016 cornchipbrian greentdknoxmetrixpotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 26 of 56
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    stozzelson said:
    Does this make him a liar?

Yes. What else do you need to realize he said the exact opposite earlier?
  • Reply 27 of 56
    I hear the Apple Stock ticker going up.
    palominetdknox
  • Reply 28 of 56
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    The cats out of the bag. 

The FBI wants to ruin years of progress and to treat us all like criminals. 
    cornchippalominebrian greenmagman1979brakkenlostkiwitdknoxpotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 29 of 56
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Where are all the fucking "BUT ITS JUST ONE PHONE, WHY IS APPLE SUPPORTING ISIS AND WHY DO THEY HATE THIS COUNTRY" trolls now?
    nolamacguycornchipicoco3brian greenmagman1979lostkiwitdknoxmetrixmuppetrymonstrosity
  • Reply 30 of 56
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    slurpy said:
    Where are all the fucking "BUT ITS JUST ONE PHONE, WHY IS APPLE SUPPORTING ISIS AND WHY DO THEY HATE THIS COUNTRY" trolls now?
    The money ran out in the troll fund.
    nolamacguycornchipicoco3brian greenmagman1979brakkenlostkiwitdknoxmonstrosity
  • Reply 31 of 56
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    After this bullshit matter finishes, Apple should consider creating the iCloud backup option that allows iOS to sync with an old password up to a week or 2 in case these idiots are asking for the backup after intentionally reset the iCloud password. That way, they don't have to deal with this kind of backdoor bullshit again ever.
    "You want to see what inside of that iPhone? Get the court order and I'll give you backup copy, then you're on your own. Don't ever ask me to get into that phone physically...ever."
    icoco3brakken
  • Reply 32 of 56
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Is that Norbert the Narc sitting behind on Comey's right?
  • Reply 33 of 56
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    If anyone here has not yet read Judge Ornstein's Order, I recommend that you do so right away. I know it's long (50 pages) but it does a superb demolition job on the FBI's arguments.

And Comey will be well aware of the precedent this sets, and will have the FBI appeal it in New York. Ornstein has clearly foreseen this and his reasoning is quite extensive. He was well aware of the precedent-setting value of his Order (and noted it there).
    brian greenmagman1979lostkiwitdknoxpotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 34 of 56
    wood1208 said:
    If Apple creates a software to get into any locked iphone to by-pass security than that software can be used on stolen iphones to unlock and sell it again. 
    Maybe, not necessarily. If the phone has been reported stolen, activation lock will still prevent it from being successfully re-activated.
  • Reply 35 of 56

The FBI wants to ruin years of progress and to treat us all like criminals. 
    That has been the case for a long time.
    tdknox
  • Reply 36 of 56
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    James Comey, February 21, 2016:

"The San Bernardino litigation isn’t about trying to set a precedent or send any kind of message"

DOJ Motion filed on February 19, 2016:

"The order requires Apple to assist the FBI with respect to this single iPhone...."

James Comey's comment on iOS 8 September, 2014:

“I like and believe very much that we should have to obtain a warrant from an independent judge to be able to take the content of anyone’s closet or their smart phone. The notion that someone would market a closet that could never be opened – even if it involves a case involving a child kidnapper and a court order – to me does not make any sense"

The FBI/DOJ have been in a proxy war with Apple for a while. Last summer, the DOJ obtained a court order to for Apple to turn over iMessages in real time. Thankfully Apple was unable to comply due to iMessages being encrypted. James Comey has been lying about encryption for quite some time. Read this interesting article exposing some of his previous lies:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20141019/07115528878/everybody-knows-fbi-director-james-comey-is-wrong-about-encryption-even-fbi.shtml
    edited March 2016 lostkiwitdknox
  • Reply 37 of 56
    slurpy said:
    The trolls would include the politicians who ran around repeating the "just one phone" meme as they joined the "how dare Apple defy the government this is about terrorism" bandwagon.
    brakkenlostkiwitdknoxicoco3
  • Reply 38 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I hear the Apple Stock ticker going up.
    That's unrelated. The whole market went up today, naturally based on nothing. That the entire market rises almost in lock-step indicates the market is no longer functioning.
    magman1979
  • Reply 39 of 56
    I am listening to this hearing (and I urge you all to do the same, www.span.org). Regardless of their political affiliation, I have to say that I am blown away by the clarity, the thoughtfulness, the sincerity, and the depth of the questions that are being raised by our elected representatives.

I do not believe that I am about to say this about the US Congress, but I am truly in awe and respect.

Mr. Comey is completely out of his depth, and he's making the FBI look like a bunch of lazy, uninformed fools. He's a clueless bureaucrat not worthy of serving this country.
    edited March 2016 brakkenlostkiwitdknoxstompyRayz2016potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 40 of 56
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Mr. Comey is a fox in sheep's skin. He is showing his true color. It was never just "This one phone"!
    No, he's an imbecile given power. We know how well this turns out - Regan, Clonton, Bush jnr etc.
    lostkiwi