Apple CEO Tim Cook attends secret meeting with tech and government elite to plot end to Trump presi

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
Technology industry leaders including Apple CEO Tim Cook, Google co-founder Larry Page and Tesla and SpaceX chief Elon Musk met with top GOP representatives at the secretive American Enterprise Institute's annual World Forum this past weekend to discuss how to halt Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, a report said Monday.

According to sources familiar with the meeting, elite U.S. figures representing a swath of corporate, private and political interests attended the conference hosted at the Sea Island resort off the coast of Georgia, an event closed to the public and media, The Huffington Post reports. While other issues were discussed, the main talking point was Trump's bid for the White House.

The supposed guest list reads as a who's who of tech and government. Along with Cook, Page, Musk and Napster creator Sean Parker, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) was reportedly on site with House Speaker Paul Ryan, a gaggle of Republican senators and at least one democrat in Maryland Rep. John Delaney. Prominent policy analyst Karl Rove, Deputy Chief of Staff under President George W. Bush, was also present.

The private sector was represented by billionaire Philip Anschutz and The New York Times publisher Arthur Sulzberger, among others.

"A specter was haunting the World Forum--the specter of Donald Trump," political commentator Bill Kristol wrote in an email from the conference, referencing Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto. "There was much unhappiness about his emergence, a good deal of talk, some of it insightful and thoughtful, about why he's done so well, and many expressions of hope that he would be defeated."

Trump infamously called called for a boycott on Apple products in February, a response to the company's resistance against helping FBI agents unlock an iPhone linked to last year's San Bernardino massacre.

The broader encryption debate was also a topic on discussion at the secretive confab, as the report claims Cook sparred with Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), who serves on the Senate Committee on Armed Services and Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

"Cotton was pretty harsh on Cook," a source said. "Everyone was a little uncomfortable about how hostile Cotton was."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 180
    gonevwgonevw Posts: 45member
    Cotton is a traitor!
    latifbpmagman1979tdknoxbaconstangpsliceGTRownsU
  • Reply 2 of 180
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    No offense, and I'm not at all a Trump supporter, but if that is who the American people choose, then that is who they choose. This is especially frightening if people within the government themselves are looking to interfere in the electoral process. Why don't Tim and these big tech companies plot to help a candidate they support win instead?
    anantksundarampmzSpamSandwich6502monstrositybdkennedy1002cash907censoreddesignrdiplicationyojimbo007
  • Reply 3 of 180
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Wait so a meeting that was held in a public place with a public guest list and most topics for discussion are known.
    Where's the secret part?

Next Tim Cook has "secret" (read ooww scary) meeting with supplier to discuss supply.
    latifbpbdkennedy1002calironnbrakken
  • Reply 4 of 180
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    So will Tim Cook endorse Ted Cruz?
  • Reply 5 of 180
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I'd take Cook in a technical discussion on encryption and anything related to intelligence over Cotton. As I've said before, the Senate Committee on Armed Services and Senate Select Committee on Intelligence is an oxymoron (def: a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction). I'm not calling Sen. Cotton a moron because it's not the politically correct term used to describe someone with limited intelligence .... but in this case it seems to fit a lot of people who work in Washington DC.

As for Trump, there's not a lot I can say that hasn't been said by a great number of people already. 
    latifbpmagman1979aaronjbaconstangiosenthusiastdoozydozenbrakkenargonaut
  • Reply 6 of 180
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Haha, the elites are getting more and more desperate. How pathetic.

Any fascist elites who believe that they have the right to dictate who the common man votes for should probably all move to North Korea, as they would fit in much better there.

jagnutanantksundarampmzmonstrositycash907censoredharry wildlmagooicoco3Robert Larranceindyfx
  • Reply 7 of 180
    Well at least this proves there is no such thing as an elite "establishment". Maybe Tim Cook is only meeting with them to try to create an establishment.... for the rest of us.
    arlomediaargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 180
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    pigybank said:
    No offense, and I'm not at all a Trump supporter, but if that is who the American people choose, then that is who they choose. This is especially frightening if people within the government themselves are looking to interfere in the electoral process. Why don't Tim and these big tech companies plot to help a candidate they support win instead?
    It's not interfering, it's what's always done during an election. These people see Trump as a genuine threat to the US and it's their right to get together to plan ways to educate the voters so he doesn't get elected.

I'm sure all the non-Americans watching this fiasco are laughing their a**es off. It's amazing how many laws he's breaking while forcing his freedom of speech onto so many sheep. If he was the president and said half the things he's saying right now, he'd be put in jail. If you don't know what I mean, read up on the laws against discrimination to start with.
    latifbplevimagman1979aaronjlollivermwhiteiosenthusiastronnlymfnolamacguy
  • Reply 9 of 180
    rob53 said:

I'm sure all the non-Americans watching this fiasco are laughing their a**es off. 
    Have you seen the rest of the world lately? It's a complete mess, and the majority of world leaders are class-A, clueless morons.

The opinions of 100% of all non-Americans are completely irrelevant as they have zero say in OUR elections. They can all go and screw themselves. Many countries are in complete collapse, now that is hilarious! We'll see who gets the last laugh. :#
    monstrosityharry wildking editor the gratetallest skil
  • Reply 10 of 180
    liquidmarkliquidmark Posts: 120member
    kpom said:
    So will Tim Cook endorse Ted Cruz?
    >openly homosexual leader of traditionally least leaning corporation

>ever voting for a hard right conservative that wants to take rights away from lgbt folk

Pick one.
    edited March 2016 doozydozenJeffZargonaut
  • Reply 11 of 180
    Urei1620Urei1620 Posts: 88member
    There are no good choices here. If it is not Trump, then it will be Hillary. If not Hillary, then it will be Trump. Blah.
    pmzdesignrlymf
  • Reply 12 of 180
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    apple ][ said:

Any fascist elites who believe that they have the right to dictate who the common man votes for should probably all move to North Korea, as they would fit in much better there.

I don't think Cook involved in the discussion against Trump. The republican party is going against Trump at full force. It's so ridiculous to watch GOP presidential debate. At the end, Trump won't win President.
    Otherwise, Kim Jong Un will wipe California out of the  face of the earth if Trump does win. Trump provoked this pig-face maniac and there'll be consequence. Never mess with a crazy dog who doesn't have anything to lose!
    edited March 2016 ai46
  • Reply 13 of 180
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    At this stage, given the stakes for both shareholders and consumers on a whole range of issues that Apple is facing with various parts of the US government, Democrat and Republican, Left Wing and Right Wing, Judiciary, Executive, and Legislature -- e.g., taxes, security v. privacy, diversity, IP theft, outsourcing -- I truly wish that Tim Cook as CEO (and the others similar to him like Page and Musk) would stay out of influencing politics in such an overt manner.

I really get worried about our liberties when major corporations (and I honestly don't care what their motivations are or what their politics is) try to influence social and political choices. It's hard enough for the average Joe/Jill to get his/her 0.5¢ into the political process without all this undue power and influence.... 
    designrradster360harry wildtallest skilargonaut
  • Reply 14 of 180
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    apple ][ said:

Unfortunately the common man is so misinformed and pretty gullable, considering they are flocking to a reality TV start business guy with the tact of a bad used car salesman who would do or say anything to get the sale. In this case the their vote. Anyone outside of the bubble can easily look up his interviews from 4 years ago and everything he says now was the complete opposite. He really gets off on how his supporters are so easily fooled and even jokes about it openly and they don't even get it. He is saying whatever it takes to get votes. Let's hope they have a plan to wake up these people to see he is playing on their fears and hate and using it against them. 
    latifbpmagman1979tdknoxcalipscooter63lolliverjustadcomicsdysamoriaarlomediaapplepieguy
  • Reply 15 of 180
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    rob53 said:
    pigybank said:
    It's not interfering, it's what's always done during an election. These people see Trump as a genuine threat to the US and it's their right to get together to plan ways to educate the voters so he doesn't get elected.

I'm sure all the non-Americans watching this fiasco are laughing their a**es off. It's amazing how many laws he's breaking while forcing his freedom of speech onto so many sheep. If he was the president and said half the things he's saying right now, he'd be put in jail. If you don't know what I mean, read up on the laws against discrimination to start with.
    Well, like I've said I'm not Trump supporter, but we have freedom of speech.  You can say whatever you want legally aside from threatening personal harm.  That's a legal fact.  Trump hasn't said anything that's illegal to say.  As far as discrimination goes, the law already says illegal immigrants if caught are to be deported.  Trump saying he will deport illegal immigrants, or build a wall doesn't amount to discrimination, its simply saying he would actively pursue enforcement of existing law.  That is not a violation of any existing anti-discrimination law.  As far as a "temporary ban on Muslim immigrants" goes... that's still not illegal.  It may go totally against American values, but as a matter of law it is not illegal since the US Constitution only applies to those who are citizens of the US or who are physically within our borders.  Therefore any anti-discrimination law which might prevent him from doing this is not legally applicable to non-citizens not already within our borders.  I don't agree with his plans, but I am very familiar with the law and specifics of what he has called for.
    pmzmonstrositydiplicationtdknox
  • Reply 16 of 180
    fallenjt said:
    I don't think Cook involved in the discussion against Trump. The republican party is going agaiyTrump at full force. It's so ridiculous to watch GOP presidential debate. At the end, Trump won't win President. Otherwise, Kim Jong Un will wipe California out of the  face of the earth. Trump provoked this pig-face maniac and there'll be consequence. Never mess with a crazy dog who doesn't have anything to lose!
    I'm not sure as to the extent that Cook was involved, but I do know that the one person cited in the article, Bill Kristol, who is a traitor Republican with a feces grinning face, has long been on a anti-Trump Jihad.
    harry wild
  • Reply 17 of 180
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Say what?  "...discuss how to halt Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump" ?
    How unbecoming of Tim Cook?

They will fail anyway!
    The GOP should have vetted Trump before letting run in their party.
    I guess they let him run because he has money and they just figured that he would not get far.
    Now that he is winning, his own party wants to gang up on him to take him out?
    Take out the Donald and replace him with whom?  Cruz or Rubio?  What a Joke!

Tim should have no part of this.
    WTF? Has the US become a 3rd world country? 

harry wildtallest skil
  • Reply 18 of 180
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's precisely stuff like this that feeds the Trump phenomenon in the first place.
    irelandmrboba1
  • Reply 19 of 180
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Considering the source was the Huffington Post, I don't believe a word of it.

If there actually were some sort of conspiracy among business leaders and the establishment GOP that would be notable since all of the business leaders cited are liberal Democrats.

in other words, this sounds like a complete fabrication.
    edited March 2016 cash907censoredirelandtallest skil
  • Reply 20 of 180
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    pigybank said:
    Party leaders, special interests and large donors looking to influence an election- this only happens every election cycle. Nothing illegal about it. The fact that this is new to some voters is more concerning. This is why some support campaign finance reform. Money equals speech, and those with the most, have the most say.
    macky the mackydysamoriaarlomediaargonaut