Rumor: Apple's new 9.7" iPad will carry premium $599 starting price for 32GB

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    These things aren't getting much cheaper, after all the value of the US dollar hasn't gotten better under Fed policy.
  • Reply 42 of 71
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    slurpy said:
    AI2xxx said:
    Ideally 64 GB should be the minimum on an iPad and 32 GB on an iPhone.

Uh, 64GB is overkill for probably 95% of iPad users. Also, in general iPhones need more storage than iPads, because of the heavily used built in camera, among a bunch of other apps. I've had constant storage issues on my phones, but never on an iPad. 
    The ipad by being use dat home can easily access local storage on smb Windows drive, or NAS devices, or drive connected to access points, or even DLNA servers.

You really only need space for the apps; and like you said, what produces the most data is camera + filming which you don't do as much on a tablet and if you do it, you can quickly offload it to the local network.
  • Reply 43 of 71
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    wizard69 said:
    saarek said:
    I don't see how increasing the price is going to revive their flagging sales, despite the new moniker this will simply be the refresh to the iPad Air 2.

I don't expect them to lower the price and rush to the bottom, but increasing the price seems like a bad move to me.

But hey, I'm not the CEO and I am sure they have done their research.

First don't assume that they have done any research. Lately they seem to manage new product features by throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks.

. As for reviving flagging sales well Apple seems to be screwing themselves in that respect. I fully expected an enhanced iPad AIr at last falls new product introduction instead we got boned. I have no desire for an iPad Pro 13" nor do I need some of the features it introduced. What I wanted was an iPad Air with an annual improvement in features at a given cost point.

What we got instead was a big bone. Seriously a new iPad Air with more flash and a new processor would have been very inviting. Instead nothing. That is Apple screwing themselves and directly leads to flagging sales. By the way I wouldn't even desire such an improvement if I didn't know where the cost of components has gone in the years time. The iPads, exsoecially in the upgraded version just represent an incredible rip off pricing wise.
    More storage and more processing invites NO upgrades. I got a Ipad 2 (and an Air 2) and for media consumption, they're about the same (browsing though is horrible on the Ipad 2). The Air 2 is already more than enough for the current use of 95% of tablet users; only way to get them to upgrade to something better is find more use for their tablet, or make it substantially a better tablet in a way that' adds to this existing use (like shaving 1/3 of the weight for example).

Nothing else will work.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 44 of 71
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I've tried buying an iPad three time and always take them back. I just don't see the point of an iPad when you have an iPhone 6 Plus
  • Reply 45 of 71
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    The price is freaking right on. 32GB, 3-4GB RAM and kickass A9x, Pencil support. If this is not a killer iPad, I don't know what is.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dougd said:
    I've tried buying an iPad three time and always take them back. I just don't see the point of an iPad when you have an iPhone 6 Plus
    How does one 'try buying'? One buys an iPad or one doesn't.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    saarek said:
    I hope they don't decide to charge $599, 32gb really should be the entry level. Yes I know people can get away with just 16gb when pushed, but for most people I don't think it gives a good user experience.

At $499 the current iPad pricing is already firmly in the premium segment, there is no real justification for the increase.

Agreed. The rumor of the $100 entry level price increase for the 9.7 inch iPad Pro is disappointing. I can’t see how this is a good idea for Apple. iPad sales have been dropping sharply. Tim Cook said that he was going to turn this trend around. Since the most popular iPad model is the 9.7 inch size, how can increasing the entry price by $100 help? The result will be fewer sales simply because of the cost. Some customers will go for tablet products from other companies and others will need to postpone the purchase of a new 9.7 inch iPad until they can come up with the increased amount of money.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    bb-15 said:
    saarek said:
    I hope they don't decide to charge $599, 32gb really should be the entry level. Yes I know people can get away with just 16gb when pushed, but for most people I don't think it gives a good user experience.

At $499 the current iPad pricing is already firmly in the premium segment, there is no real justification for the increase.

Agreed. The rumor of the $100 entry level price increase for the 9.7 inch iPad Pro is disappointing. I can’t see how this is a good idea for Apple. iPad sales have been dropping sharply. Tim Cook said that he was going to turn this trend around. Since the most popular iPad model is the 9.7 inch size, how can increasing the entry price by $100 help? The result will be fewer sales simply because of the cost. Some customers will go for tablet products from other companies and others will need to postpone the purchase of a new 9.7 inch iPad until they can come up with the increased amount of money.
    But this is part of the iPad Pro line. It's not increasing the price of the Air. Maybe Apple realizes the larger iPhone is eating into iPad sales so they're moving iPad to iPad Pro line and letting iPhone take the place of other iPads.
    canukstormnolamacguy
  • Reply 49 of 71
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    sog35 said:
    People need to understand the iPad Pro line are not simply tablets.  These are laptop replacements.

No, no they are not.  The hardware has little to do with it; it's the software that makes the difference, and iOS is not a desktop/laptop system.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    oakieoakie Posts: 35member
    i'm at odds with many of you and here's why:

with the creation of A9X for iPad Pro, Apple's proven the A9 is capable of running an iPad Air just fine without the graphics boost based on their own numbers showing improvement over the A8 and A8X series, the latter currently powering the iPad Air 2. a 9.7" iPad Pro may not have as many pixels to push as the 12.9" iPad Pro, but to run other systems related to the screen refresh of a still admittedly pixel dense screen is needed. i therefore see the iPad Air and iPad Pro, even in 9.7" size running concurrently, an Air with essentially the guts of the iPhone 6S in a future refresh or even on Monday with no change in external design.

this would cost Apple almost nothing to do.

i feel this way because i doubt Apple could fit the necessary hardware into a 9.7" frame and still keep the thin design of the current iPad Air 2. mind you, despite enlarging on the X and Y axis of the iPad Pro, they still had to make it bigger along the Z axis, whether this be due to battery, sound or simply the depth of the new display unit, it's thicker. any iPad Pro 9.7" will probably be thicker than the current iPad Air 2. think iPad Air 1 but with the microphones sorted and mute switch delete. i say this because Apple will be keen to advertise "10 hours of battery life" and 3 more speakers will cut into the current battery.

so you can have the thinnest iPad at 8" and 10" via the iPad Air and Air mini with their current thinness and A9 processor, or you can have the most capable iPad at 10" and 13" in the iPad Pro, that's a bit thicker but powered with A9X.

i see 2 Airs, 2 Pros with new branded names of just iPad Air 8, iPad Air 10 and iPad Pro 10, iPad Pro 13 with the "mini" name being retired. mind you, even with just a $100 separation between 10" Air and 10" Pro starting price, the latter's capabilities are useless without a corresponding purchase of Pencil, Keyboard or both when it comes to actual user functionality. anyone buying a Pro just to use it as an Air would be silly... the extra $100 would be better spent getting an Air with 64GB storage than a 32GB Pro without a Pencil or Keyboard.

if you want an "iPad Air 3," just wait. if it's not released now then it will soon. expect longer refresh cycles of 1.5 to 2 years from now on, at least for Airs and Minis, to better match up with actual purchasing cycles. i see this because the Air and Mini both still sell well for consumers, despite the previously unexpected longer upgrade cycles, however, their collaboration with IBM revealed a need for more capable iPads for the corporate space. thus, there's a legitimate need for both, including 2 different iPads at the 10" size. so i do not see the 10" Air being ousted by the 10" Pro at all.

obviously this is just my speculation and i've rarely been right in my life, so there's that.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    sog35 said:
    toddzrx said:
    No, no they are not.  The hardware has little to do with it; it's the software that makes the difference, and iOS is not a desktop/laptop system.
    Stop living in the past.  The iPad pro is the first iPad that has the necessary processing power to run laptop apps. The apps are coming.  

Again just wait for the Air3 if you dont want to pay $599
    Stop living in a dream world. The iPad Pro can't run animation programs and many others in its field. 
  • Reply 52 of 71
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    jkichline said:
    appex said:
    Bring a true Mac tablet.
    I think you're going to see this either this year or next. My belief is that the two operating system lines will converge in OS 11.  Apple has already "hinted" at this by not updating to version 11 of OS X and just continuing to increment the minor version number.  Every iteration, the operating system becomes closer and more integrated with iOS.  However at the same time, a lot of the older apps use older "NS" SDKs which are not nearly as efficient or straightforward as their iOS "UI" ones.  But Apple is making significant changes to iOS to bring all the features in the former.  My guess is that this year or next, iOS apps will be able to run on Macs and that the A10 processor and A11 will outpace Intel versions.
    10) DarwinOS/Mach Kernal (includes both OSX & iOS), 9) MacOS9.0, 8) MacOS5, 7) NewtonOS, 6) Apple GSOS, 5) MacOS1,  4) Apple Lisa, 3) Apple |||, 2) Apple ][ , 1) Apple 1 

OS X 10.x.x is Apple tenth logical core OS. To me OS 11 would be a complete change to the underlying core of the system including the all the compatibility issues that come with such a break. Those are not small issues at the best of time let alone with the size of Apples user base now compared. If that happens it wouldn't be a merger it would be a take over. Apple aren't hinting at anything with not going to 11. That said the changes being made with Swift do point to something maybe in the wings that would warrant a new kernel after all the model of how we use tech is changing pretty rapidly to multi-devices per user.  Maybe a true micro kernel with FoundationDB to co-ordination data between kernel instances.

I don't think Apple need a Mac Tablet they could however make a distinct PadOS variation that was closer to the mac than it's current iOS restrictions. I could also see them making an interface bridge between MacOS and iOS similar to watchKit interface extensions in iOS. To allow any signed app on a users Mac to launch an interface app on the users iOS device. It would have to be any signed app not just app store apps as the app's you'd really need or want the interface for on your pad. That way we could run mac on a mac but drive the interface with pencil and touch on the Pad. 
  • Reply 53 of 71
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    bb-15 said:
    But this is part of the iPad Pro line. It's not increasing the price of the Air. Maybe Apple realizes the larger iPhone is eating into iPad sales so they're moving iPad to iPad Pro line and letting iPhone take the place of other iPads.
    Exactly. The future of the iPad line lies with the Pro while big-screen smartphones eventually cannibalize "consumption-focused" tablets.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member

toddzrx said:
    sog35 said:
    People need to understand the iPad Pro line are not simply tablets.  These are laptop replacements.

It doesn't have to be desktop / laptop system to be a desktop / laptop replacement for the mainstream segment of the market.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    michael_cmichael_c Posts: 164member
    sog35 said:
    The large iPad pro starts at $799

so the smaller iPad Pro will be $200 cheaper.

i see no problem with this.

If you want a cheaper product just buy an iPadAir2.

So the iPadAir2 will be $499 for THREE YEARS?  LOL. so funny.  Not Apple's fault though.  If people only want to upgrade every 3 or 4 years why should Apple bring out a new iPadAir every year?  People have no one except themself to blame.

iPad Pro 9.7 for $599 is great.  For the extra $100 over the Air2 you get:

1. Pencil support
    2. Smart connector
    3. Much faster CPU/GPU/
    4. More Ram
    5. 4 speakers
    6. 16GB more of storage

Its a great deal!
    Generally agree with your list.  If the audio on the new iPad is as good as the 12.9 has been, then it's not a trivial enhancement as "4 speakers" might suggest.  Surprisingly great performance on those 4 speakers.  One of the primary reasons I bought the 12.9 was for the pencil, but the audio improvements were a nice bonus.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    sog35 said:
    saarek said:
    I don't see how increasing the price is going to revive their flagging sales, despite the new moniker this will simply be the refresh to the iPad Air 2.

I don't expect them to lower the price and rush to the bottom, but increasing the price seems like a bad move to me.

But hey, I'm not the CEO and I am sure they have done their research.

This is NOT a refreshed iPadAir 2.

1. Pencil and smart connector support
    2. Much faster CPU/GPU (at Macbook level)
    3. 4 speakers
    4. More RAM
    5. More storage
    6. Higher refresh screen

The iPadAir2 was simply a more advanced and thinner iPad3.

The iPad Pro line is full laptop replacement devices.  People who are buying iPad Pro's are replacing their laptops not another tablet.

My iPad Air could never replace my laptop. This 9.7 iPad Pro will.
    Speak for yourself. For me this will replace my iPad2. If I wind up using my laptop less, so be it, but it is not the reason I am buying this.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    I do hope the offer a 32GB model with cellular.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jkichline said:
    appex said:
    Bring a true Mac tablet.
    I think you're going to see this either this year or next. My belief is that the two operating system lines will converge in OS 11.  Apple has already "hinted" at this by not updating to version 11 of OS X and just continuing to increment the minor version number.  Every iteration, the operating system becomes closer and more integrated with iOS.  However at the same time, a lot of the older apps use older "NS" SDKs which are not nearly as efficient or straightforward as their iOS "UI" ones.  But Apple is making significant changes to iOS to bring all the features in the former.  My guess is that this year or next, iOS apps will be able to run on Macs and that the A10 processor and A11 will outpace Intel versions.
    Great theory - except for the fact that apples top software execs have specifcally said they don't think that's a good idea and aren't doing it. 
  • Reply 59 of 71
    jkichline said:
    I've long suspected that Apple will lower the entry price point for iPad. But they could not do that and devalue their brand. By developing the Pro moniker, they can now reduce the price of the "base" iPad and maintain a premium, high-end product.

I suspect they will start the iPad Air 2/3 at $399 for 16 GB, $499 for 64 GB and $599 for 128 GB (if they keep that option available which is doubtful).  Then the iPad Pro starts at $599 for 32 GB and $699 for 128 GB... maybe they will ramp up to 256 GB soon for another $100 or $150.  The entire original iPad line drops down $100 which puts iPad minis around the $200 mark.  This would effectively squeeze Android completely out of the tablet business unless you want to buy "crap" or just plain hate Apple.

Expect the same to come on the iPhone front.
    32GB to 128GB is $150 difference, so 128GB 9.7" iPad Pro will be $749.
    That could be the new storage line up across the lines: 32GB/128GB for $150 extra...nice and simple.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    oakie said:

anyone buying a Pro just to use it as an Air would be silly... the extra $100 would be better spent getting an Air with 64GB storage than a 32GB Pro without a Pencil or Keyboard.

Wrong! Extra $100 gets you not only to 32GB but also 4GB RAM, 4 speakers, keyboard Smart Connection and an option to get 128GB for $50 less ($150 instead of $200).
    canukstorm