Rumor: Apple's new 9.7" iPad will carry premium $599 starting price for 32GB

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2016
In a move that will perhaps further emphasize the anticipated "Pro" branding, Apple's new 9.7-inch iPad is rumored to carry a starting price of $599 for 32 gigabytes of capacity, a $100 increase over the traditional new iPad entry point.

Since the first iPad was launched in 2010, Apple has stuck to an entry-level price of $499 for 16 gigabytes of capacity. That's set to change with the new 9.7-inch iPad, according to 9to5mac, which claims the device will start at $599 for 32 gigabytes.

Wi-Fi-only 32-gigabyte models have always cost $599, so the move would not technically be a price increase. But, if true, it does signal that the entry-level 16-gigabyte capacity is on the way out, at least for the latest flagship 9.7-inch model.

Like the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the new iPad is also expected to come in a 128-gigabyte capacity.

Apple would seem unlikely to abandon the $499 price point, which could signal that the iPad Air 2 will remain available at that price. The company also currently sells the 2013 iPad Air for $399 -- the same price point as the iPad mini 4.

Rumors have suggested the new 9.7-inch iPad will be branded as an iPad Pro, following the lead set by Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch model that launched last fall. Apple's mid-size iPad Pro is expected to feature many of the capabilities of the larger model, including the magnetic Smart Connector, a four-speaker array, and support for the Apple Pencil.

With Smart Connector support, Apple is also expected to unveil a more compact Smart Keyboard accessory for its new iPad. And in an upgrade over the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, leaked schematics have suggested the rear camera on the 9.7-inch model will feature an LED flash.

All will be revealed on Monday, when Apple is set to host an event to unveil new products. In addition to a new iPad, the event is also expected to mark the debut of a new 4-inch iPhone, rumored to be called the "iPhone SE," featuring an A9 processor and support for Apple Pay.

With many specs rumored to be equivalent to the iPhone 6s series, pricing on the iPhone SE also remains a question heading into Monday's keynote. The new 4-inch iPhone is rumored to take the place of the low-end $449 iPhone 5s, but an A9 processor would make it more powerful than the mid-range iPhone 6 series, which starts at $549.

Apple's "Let us loop you in" presentation kicks off Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be there live and will provide full coverage of the event and hands-on impressions with Apple's latest devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    This should be interesting. This will definitely make people want to upgrade.
    mwhitemagman1979
  • Reply 2 of 71
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I hope they don't decide to charge $599, 32gb really should be the entry level. Yes I know people can get away with just 16gb when pushed, but for most people I don't think it gives a good user experience.

At $499 the current iPad pricing is already firmly in the premium segment, there is no real justification for the increase.

thewhitefalconAI2xxx
  • Reply 3 of 71
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    On subject of iphone SE, If entry level ipad pro starts at 32GB, can it be some short of indication that it can also do the same to SE or perhaps iphone 7 ? We will find out on Monday, look,internals and pricing of SE and ipad...
    edited March 2016 justadcomics
  • Reply 4 of 71
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    saarek said:
    I hope they don't decide to charge $599, 32gb really should be the entry level. Yes I know people can get away with just 16gb when pushed, but for most people I don't think it gives a good user experience.

At $499 the current iPad pricing is already firmly in the premium segment, there is no real justification for the increase.

Disagree.  you’re paying $100 more for: a more advanced higher refresh rate screen, Pencil capability, a much faster A9X processor, 4GB of RAM, Smart Connector, 32GB of base storage, and possibly a higher resolution screen. That’s worth $100. What I would like to have seen is the iPad Air 2 get a price decrease to $399 starting price.

There's nothing surprising about the pricing of the 9.7" iPad Pro (if true).
    magman1979
  • Reply 5 of 71
    sog35 said:
    The large iPad pro starts at $799

so the smaller iPad Pro will be $200 cheaper.

i see no problem with this.

If you want a cheaper product just buy an iPadAir
    I don't see how increasing the price is going to revive their flagging sales, despite the new moniker this will simply be the refresh to the iPad Air 2.

I don't expect them to lower the price and rush to the bottom, but increasing the price seems like a bad move to me.

But hey, I'm not the CEO and I am sure they have done their research.

bradipao
  • Reply 6 of 71
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    What bums me out is that they’re making support for the Pencil a “Pro” feature. I’m dying for an iPad Mini with a Pencil, but somehow a “Mini Pro” sounds unlikely… (and before anyone says “who would want to draw on a surface that small”, go talk to Moleskine about their whole business)
  • Reply 7 of 71
    saarek said:

Disagree.  you’re paying $100 more for: a more advanced higher refresh rate screen, Pencil capability, a much faster A9X processor, 4GB of RAM, Smart Connector, 32GB of base storage, and possibly a higher resolution screen. That’s worth $100. What I would like to have seen is the iPad Air 2 get a price decrease to $399 starting price.

There's nothing surprising about the pricing of the 9.7" iPad Pro (if true).
    All of the upgrades you are mentioning should be expected. The iPad Air 2 is 17 months old, of course the latest model is faster etc! The new 9.7" iPad, no matter what you call it, will simply be the new 9.7" iPad.

You are looking at the iPad Air 2's specs and price, as it stands now, and saying "Yep, I'd pay $100 more for all of the features of the new one", but only someone who lives under a rock would walk to a shop today and pay $499 for an iPad Air 2.
    kpluck
  • Reply 8 of 71
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    saarek said:
    I don't see how increasing the price is going to revive their flagging sales, despite the new moniker this will simply be the refresh to the iPad Air 2.

I don't expect them to lower the price and rush to the bottom, but increasing the price seems like a bad move to me.

This is NOT a refreshed iPadAir 2.

1. Pencil and smart connector support
    2. Much faster CPU/GPU (at Macbook level)
    3. 4 speakers
    4. More RAM
    5. More storage
    6. Higher refresh screen

The iPadAir2 was simply a more advanced and thinner iPad3.

The iPad Pro line is full laptop replacement devices.  People who are buying iPad Pro's are replacing their laptops not another tablet.

My iPad Air could never replace my laptop. This 9.7 iPad Pro will.
    It doesn't matter what it actually is, what matters is what it's going to be perceived as, and most people will see it as a refresh that costs $100 more. 
    satchmoentropys
  • Reply 9 of 71
    sog35 said:
    saarek said:

This is NOT a refreshed iPadAir 2.

1. Pencil and smart connector support
    2. Much faster CPU/GPU (at Macbook level)
    3. 4 speakers
    4. More RAM
    5. More storage
    6. Higher refresh screen

The iPadAir2 was simply a more advanced and thinner iPad3.

The iPad Pro line is full laptop replacement devices.  People who are buying iPad Pro's are replacing their laptops not another tablet.

My iPad Air could never replace my laptop. This 9.7 iPad Pro will.
    Obviously you and I will disagree and that is fine.

You are looking at the specs and features and feel it is more than a refresh, me I see the see the specs and features and see it as an expected refresh.

1. Pencil and smart connector support (Optional extras that Apple makes a tidy sum out of)
    2. Much faster CPU/GPU (iPad Air 2 had the A8X vs the A7 and a much faster GPU)
    3. 4 Speakers (About damn time, long awaited feature in the iPad line)
    4. More Ram (iPad Air 2 doubled the amount in the iPad Air)
    5. More Storage (Severley over due, yes I know there is a vocal minority who think the 16gb is fine)
    6. Higher refresh screen (Which is needed to sell the heavily marked up Apple pencil)

So to me, this is simply a refresh. The specs on every iPad upgrade (short of the iPad 3 which should never have been released) have always been a big step up on the previous generation.
    entropysdacloo
  • Reply 10 of 71
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    It doesn't matter what it actually is, what matters is what it's going to be perceived as, and most people will see it as a refresh that costs $100 more. 
    No they won't.

People who are replacing laptops with the iPad Pro know exactly what they are doing.

If you are simply looking to upgrade your Air2 then this isn't the product for you. Wait a few months when the Air3 comes out.

This is like expecting the latest MacPro to cost the same as the MacBookAir.  Don't be silly.  The iPadAir and iPadPro are two DIFFERENT lines with two different price points.  
    There isn't going to be an 'iPad Air 3'. This is the new 9.7" iPad. They're not going to release 2 different models. 
  • Reply 11 of 71
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    understand this from a marketing decision...but still...I was ready to upgrade my iPad Air for $500...but at $600...I'm most likely not gonna upgrade until the differences become more significant...perhaps in another year or two.
    entropys
  • Reply 12 of 71
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    All depends how Apple presents and markets it. Apple needs to present it as everything you love about the iPad Pro but in a smaller size. Don't even mention the iPad Air if it's not getting a price reduction. It does suck though that the Air 2 isn't getting a price reduction just to get people to spend $100 on the Pro. 
  • Reply 13 of 71
    sog35 said:

saarek said:
    All of the upgrades you are mentioning should be expected. The iPad Air 2 is 17 months old, of course the latest model is faster etc! The new 9.7" iPad, no matter what you call it, will simply be the new 9.7" iPad.

You are looking at the iPad Air 2's specs and price, as it stands now, and saying "Yep, I'd pay $100 more for all of the features of the new one", but only someone who lives under a rock would walk to a shop today and pay $499 for an iPad Air 2.
    Deal with it.

The iPad has two lines now:  Air and Pro.

Expecting the Pro line to cost the same as the Air line is idiotic.  This is almost as idiotic as thinking a Macbook Pro should cost the same as a Macbook Air. 
    I've been running under the assumption that there will be no iPad Air 3, perhaps in this I will be proved wrong. Until that point I see this new iPad as the long awaited 9.7" refresh.
    entropys
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Too bad about the price increase, but I'm still ready to buy one.  :smile: 
  • Reply 15 of 71
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    sog35 said:
    iPad Pro 9.7 for $599 is great.  For the extra $100 over the Air2 you get:

1. Pencil support
    2. Smart connector
    3. Much faster CPU/GPU/
    4. More Ram
    5. 4 speakers
    6. 16GB more of storage

Its a great deal!

Very nice, so now let's hope for Apple to keep this pattern for years to come.
    Every product refresh cycle, just increase a price by $100 compared to a previous one to justify new features.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 16 of 71

Wi-Fi-only 32-gigabyte models have always cost $599, so the move would not technically be a price increase. But, if true, it does signal that the entry-level 16-gigabyte capacity is on the way out, at least for the latest flagship 9.7-inch model.

The iPad Air 2 has offered 64gb for $599 since launch.
    kpluck
  • Reply 17 of 71
    AI2xxxAI2xxx Posts: 38member
    sog35 said:
    People need to understand the iPad Pro line are not simply tablets.  These are laptop replacements.

if you want something cheap to watch Netflix go get an iPadAir or Mini.
    Unless you use your laptop for very basic tasks, the iPad Pro line is not going to be a feasible substitute.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    schlack said:
    understand this from a marketing decision...but still...I was ready to upgrade my iPad Air for $500...but at $600...I'm most likely not gonna upgrade until the differences become more significant...perhaps in another year or two.
    Significant in what way (hardware wise)? I have an iPP and the current software comes nowhere near close to taxing the hardware. It's not going to be obsolete in a year and I couldn't care less about a 4K screen. That's just an unnecessary battery drainer. All the issues with iPP right now are software. And who knows what iOS 10 will bring. We've had zero rumors about it yet.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Storage prices have dropped over the years. They really should bite the bullet and shift the storage options up a notch at the same price. I.e. The new 32 GB for the old 16 GB price, 64 for 32, etc. 
  • Reply 20 of 71
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Apple's recent arrogance seems to know no bounds. I hope that people will see through the marketing and see how greedy this corporation has become. Such a shame.

Uh, it will be identical to the iPad Pro features, except slightly smaller, for a full $200 less. How the fuck is that "arrogant"? It's the exact same price as the current, non Pro 32GB iPad. You get more for your $$ with Apple products today than you ever did in the entire company's history, and thats obvious by the sales they're achieving. 

I swear the trolls here get worse every day. That's the only shame. 
    edited March 2016 magman1979justadcomicsjkichlinejax44