Apple announces 9.7" iPad Pro with Apple Pencil support, True Tone display, A9X CPU, starting at $5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    schlack said:
    looks like a great machine...but had to justify an upgrade from an iPad Air...I have no specific need for an iPad...it's a nice to have.
    same here, still got Air and Mini 2. Both are just outstanding for me even though I want 9.7" Pro a lot.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    ttupperttupper Posts: 39member
    In order for the iPad "pro" to serve as a PC replacement, it needs to be distinctly more capable than any other iPad, or indeed any other tablet device.  And in point of fact, it isn't.  In my view, the "pro" moniker used on these devices is largely a marketing device and I personally find it a little insulting.  To whit: a device doesn't become "pro" because it receives some modest upgrades and is given that moniker.  A pro device is distinguished by feature and capability, and I think these devices fall rather short from that perspective.

Let me provide the devil's advocate view of what Apple did today:  Apple raised the price of the best 9.7" iPad by 17 percent.  Here are some hard truth's which drive my perspective:

- In years past, Apple has always increased the speed of the top tier iPad while keeping the entry level price similar or identical.
    - In years past, Apple has frequently improved the quality of the iPad display (adding Retina, etc.) while keeping the entry level price similar or identical.
    - In years past, Apple has always added feature improvements to the to iPad (touch sensor, etc.) while keeping the entry level price similar or identical.
    - In years past, Apple has made improvements achieved primarily through software available across nearly the entire iPad line.

This year, however, Apple did this: Apple debuted a 9.7" device with a modestly better display, a faster processor, some device specific software support, and some built-in support for functionality that can be added to any other iPad through third parties (pens, keyboards).  And they upped the entry price for that device by $100.

I think that people are deluded if they believe this is a good thing from a consumer point of view.  What Apple is doing, here, is signaling that they will create new product categories rather than update existing lines, for the purpose (I can only surmise) of justifying a higher margin.  And why would they do that?  Well, perhaps because the unit sales and margins of iPads has been declining for some time now.  Last quarter, by 25% and 21%, respectively.  Against that, Apple is seeking to reinvigorate the iPad lineup.  However, I don't think the typical consumer will find these improvements compelling in the face of a higher entry barrier.  

In essence, Apple has messaged consumers that if they want the best experience, Apple is happy to package that as a different product category and sell it for more... rather than aggressively improving their existing product lines (Air2 will now languish until what... Air3?).  That's a change, and from a consumer perspective, not a good one.
    jdw
  • Reply 23 of 55
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring standard ports like USB to all apple devices. Bring a Mac tablet.
    AI2xxx
  • Reply 24 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    But you're forgetting the extra $200 for the items you're paying $100 more for the support of. 
    nope, you're paying a bit more for the option to use said devices (and of course all the other new features). you may not need either pen or keyboard, or need one next year. but like a machine with more ports or slots -- its the capability and flexibility you're paying for. 
    20% more is not 'a bit more'. If you don't want a stylus or a keyboard you're still screwed paying for its support. Previously a iPad cost $499 and the user was able to use all its features, now the iPad costs $799 if one wants to use all the included features. That's going revive sales? Good luck with that. 
    saarek
  • Reply 25 of 55
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Seriously, people were complaining that $599 is too much? Pencil and keyboard support with Smart connector, improved display quality, improved cameras, Retina flash, A9X, 4 speaker sound and 32GB base model?

That's a lot of extras for only $100 more.
    But you're forgetting the extra $200 for the items you're paying $100 more for the support of. 
    I doubt that eric would be forgetting that, of all people. You're picking the wrong nit and the wrong picker. You seem a bit picayune today. Maybe you oughta go pick on somebody else's parade. 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 26 of 55
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    A 9.7" iPad Pro will be my first iPad replacement. Looking forward to ordering a 32GB version with cellular to replace my iPad2.
    brakken
  • Reply 27 of 55
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Has anyone actually had hands one time with the device yet? The Verge is whining about the camera hump but didn't tell us if the device wobbles or not on a flat surface.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    flaneur said:
    I doubt that eric would be forgetting that, of all people. You're picking the wrong nit and the wrong picker. You seem a bit picayune today. Maybe you oughta go pick on somebody else's parade. 
    Then why leave out. To use all its features this new iPad is roughly $800 when previously it was only $500. Nobody in their right mind is going to be happy spending an extra $100 just so their iPad can support $200 worth of accessories especially if they don’t plan on getting them. 
  • Reply 29 of 55
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    sog35 said:
    iPad Pro. 

Now begins the PC replacement cycle.  In 5 years hardly anyone will be using laptops.
    Stop with this nonsense.  If this were true, we'd "hardly...be using laptops" now since iPads have been around for 5 years.  It's not the form factor, it's the operating system.
    AI2xxx
  • Reply 30 of 55
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    toddzrx said:
    sog35 said:
    iPad Pro. 

Now begins the PC replacement cycle.  In 5 years hardly anyone will be using laptops.
    Stop with this nonsense.  If this were true, we'd "hardly...be using laptops" now since iPads have been around for 5 years.  It's not the form factor, it's the operating system.
    No it's definitely the form factor. The idea of tablets being "Post-PC" as some sort of PC replacement has been dying along with the market for awhile now. I had an iPad Air awhile back, but I realized it just didn't fit any specific need and sold it. Probably the same for many people considering sales numbers.

The iPhone 6S Plus is the notable PC replacement for many people, and these types of phones will supplant windows machines in the coming decade.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 31 of 55
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    sog35 said:
    iPad Pro. 

I'm not with you on this.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    I'm not big on cases for my iPad.   That protruding lens will be annoying.  However, I'm ready to buy.  :smiley: 
  • Reply 33 of 55
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    nope, you're paying a bit more for the option to use said devices (and of course all the other new features). you may not need either pen or keyboard, or need one next year. but like a machine with more ports or slots -- its the capability and flexibility you're paying for. 
    20% more is not 'a bit more'. If you don't want a stylus or a keyboard you're still screwed paying for its support. Previously a iPad cost $499 and the user was able to use all its features, now the iPad costs $799 if one wants to use all the included features. That's going revive sales? Good luck with that. 
    No!!! More features cost more money!!! What kind of filthy capitalistic country is this!!!

Next thing you going to tell me is getting a better truck with a bigger engine that let's me tow more things is going to cost more money too! Not to mention actually buying the things I want to tow!

Oh, the humanity....
    nolamacguyration albrakken
  • Reply 34 of 55
    maxxe2maxxe2 Posts: 11member
    While I did not care about the protruding lens on my iPhone 6S, I would on this device. I imagine it feels like a chair or table which has 3 identical legs but one fourth shorter/longer one. While I have my iPhone always in a case, I use my iPad without any case
  • Reply 35 of 55
    hmlongco said:
    No!!! More features cost more money!!! What kind of filthy capitalistic country is this!!!

Next thing you going to tell me is getting a better truck with a bigger engine that let's me tow more things is going to cost more money too! Not to mention actually buying the things I want to tow!

Oh, the humanity....
    Features that we were told we didn't need have now increased the price of a fully functional iPad by 60%. That's hypocritical, and obscene. 
    AI2xxxBlaster
  • Reply 36 of 55
    BlasterBlaster Posts: 97member
    Apple SIM comes embedded directly into the new iPad Pro, making it a simple process to get online when traveling abroad international.
    Hopefully this embedded SIM can be firmware updated to support new carriers or features?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 37 of 55
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    Features that we were told we didn't need have now increased the price of a fully functional iPad by 60%. That's hypocritical, and obscene. 
    You can always buy the cheaper iPad Air 2 if you don't need the features you believed you didn't need, just like you could have always bought the cheaper iPad Air 2 if, say, you thought you didn't need a 12" screen.

Seriously.

And by, "features that we were told we didn't need" I assume you're referring to the Pencil, which is a professional tool for graphic artists which most people, in fact, do not need. Now, if you have a business case for one, or if you simply want one, then yes, you're going to have to pay for the hardware that supports it.

And while we're on the subject of the not needed pencil, the comment in question came from Steve regarding the original iPhone where yes, needing a stylus for the majority of options meant someone screwed up in the UI/UX department.

Similarly, needing a stylus for the vast majority of iPad operations (navigation, browsing, and running the device in general) also meant that the UI/UX folk messed up. By and large, a handheld tablet doesn't need mouse-levels of control unless, of course, you're in one of those special edge cases...

Like being an artist who wants to sketch on a tablet.

Which brings us full circle.
    nolamacguyration al
  • Reply 38 of 55
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    nope, you're confusing things and or moving goal posts. it's 599, 100 more. for that you get many features, of which advanced accessory compatibility is but one. that's a feature, even if you don't use or need said accessories today. maybe you want one of the accessories a year from now -- your having spent the extra $25 (estimate) on the advanced accessory compatibility feature enables that. 

its absurd rubbish to suggest you actually need to get ALL THE THINGS your device is capable of using. were that nonsense true, you'd have to also include every possible iPad dongle!

please. 
    ration albrakken
  • Reply 39 of 55
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

hmlongco said:

Oh, the humanity....
    the only thing obscene is your need to be a victim. do you actually need a pencil? i don't. thus your made up price is bogus. 

its to like you're trying to add the price of an option trailer to a truck's off-the-lot sticker price. absurd. 

but I get it -- as Apple continues to iterate and make these devices more and more capable and compelling, haters need to scrounge up more FUD to peddle and bitch about. that's getting harder for you, thus this tripe. 
    edited March 2016 ration albrakken
  • Reply 40 of 55
    hmlongco said:
    You can always buy the cheaper iPad Air 2 if you don't need the features you believed you didn't need, just like you could have always bought the cheaper iPad Air 2 if, say, you thought you didn't need a 12" screen.

Seriously.

And by, "features that we were told we didn't need" I assume you're referring to the Pencil, which is a professional tool for graphic artists which most people, in fact, do not need. Now, if you have a business case for one, or if you simply want one, then yes, you're going to have to pay for the hardware that supports it.

And while we're on the subject of the not needed pencil, the comment in question came from Steve regarding the original iPhone where yes, needing a stylus for the majority of options meant someone screwed up in the UI/UX department.

Similarly, needing a stylus for the vast majority of iPad operations (navigation, browsing, and running the device in general) also meant that the UI/UX folk messed up. By and large, a handheld tablet doesn't need mouse-levels of control unless, of course, you're in one of those special edge cases...

Like being an artist who wants to sketch on a tablet.

Which brings us full circle.
    Learn your quotes. About the iPad Steve Jobs said "if you see a stylus they blew it" I don't know how 'see' was turned to 'need', and he also said "we're not going to invent another one (stylus)" 
    edited March 2016 Blastersingularitybrakken