Apple announces 9.7" iPad Pro with Apple Pencil support, True Tone display, A9X CPU, starting at $5

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2016
Apple's flagship 9.7-inch tablet form factor received a major upgrade on Monday, gaining the magnetic Smart Connector, A9X processor and four-speaker array found on its larger 12.9-inch version, as well as compatibility with the Apple Pencil and a new True Tone display, all for $599.

In a noteworthy upgrade over the larger iPad, the new 9.7-inch model features what Apple has dubbed a True Tone display. It features two new four-channel ambient light sensors that measure both brightness and color temperature to adjust the display accordingly, resulting in a "paper-white" viewing experience.

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller declared it's "quite a breakthrough."

The display is also 40 percent less reflective and 25 percent brighter than the iPad Air 2. Apple says it's the lowest reflectivity of any tablet available. Color reproduction also hits new heights with the same color gamut offered on the iMac with Retina 5K display, as well as 25 percent greater color saturation than iPad Air 2.

Stuffed inside its 6.1-millimeter case is Apple's powerful A9X chip, a 64-bit SoC design that rivals laptops in terms of raw performance. The silicon packs in the same GPU specs as the larger iPad Pro, offering console-class graphics with all-day battery life. It also includes the M9 motion coprocessor, which brings with it always-on Hey Siri capabilities.

As expected, Apple built in support for Apple Pencil, meaning users can take advantage of the accessory's pressure- and tilt-sensing capabilities on a smaller canvas than the gargantuan 12.9-inch iPad Pro. A new Smart Keyboard was also introduced on Monday, custom-designed for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro's form factor.

Like the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, it also has a four-speaker "pro" audio system that automatically adjusts sound depending on viewing orientation. Total
volume is twice that of the iPad Air 2, and if onboard audio isn't providing enough oomph, iOS 9.3 adds support for outputting video encoded with Dolby Digital Plus audio streams via Apple's Lightning Digital AV Adapter.

iPad Pro's communications suite includes 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MIMO technology, while cellular versions support LTE Advanced networks with up to 50 percent faster connectivity and what Apple is calling the most LTE bands supported by any tablet. Apple SIM comes embedded directly into the new iPad Pro, making it a simple process to get online when traveling abroad international.

Around back, the new iPad sports a 12-megapixel camera capable of shooting 4K video. It also features a rear-facing True Tone flash and front-facing Retina Flash, another pair of upgrades over the 12.9-inch model.

Apple also announced a new USB 3 speed SD card adapter, and USB-to-Lightning adapter.

The 32-gigabyte model is available for $599, while a 128-gigabyte model will run $749. Apple is also offering a 256-gigabyte model for $899. A new rose gold option will be joining the usual space grey, gold and silver color options, while new cases and keyboard accessories are also available.

Preorders will begin this Thursday, with shipments beginning March 31.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Now a protruding camera on iPad??? 
    AI2xxx
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Seriously, people were complaining that $599 is too much? Pencil and keyboard support with Smart connector, improved display quality, improved cameras, Retina flash, A9X, 4 speaker sound and 32GB base model?

That's a lot of extras for only $100 more.
    JoePiervincentibdkennedy1002jkichlinepmzmagman1979nolamacguyjony0stevehration al
  • Reply 3 of 55
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Only complaint? The camera lens sticks out, so trying to draw on an unsteady iPad will be annoying
    bdkennedy1002techprod1gyroger wadenolamacguyAI2xxxking editor the grate
  • Reply 4 of 55
    I love that it comes "wit" Apple Pencil support :)
    ai46
  • Reply 5 of 55
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    iPad has always been about how the tools we use for doing work change according to the work we need to do, and that in turn changes the work we do, to take advantage of the tools available.  

In 1960, it took a roomful of people with mechanical calculators on their desks to do the work that later generations could easily perform with a spreadsheet.  But when spreadsheets and other business applications came along, the work they made possible was wholly different from the problem they were initially designed to solve.

All of this feeds into the notion that iPads, and specifically the iPad Pro, is not designed to do the same work that a PC traditionally did.  Those who are suggesting the iPad Pro is a poor replacement for a PC are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  The tablet form factor has its own destiny, which will take on many, but not all the tasks of a PC, while enabling new forms of work and productivity that PCs cannot accommodate.
    ai46jkichlinetechprod1gymagman1979chianolamacguystevehbrucemcration al
  • Reply 6 of 55
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    And the stock price declines doh
    roger wade
  • Reply 7 of 55
    timbit said:
    Only complaint? The camera lens sticks out, so trying to draw on an unsteady iPad will be annoying
    I don't know why or how this because acceptable. Steve Jobs would have never allowed it.
    techprod1gyAI2xxx
  • Reply 8 of 55
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    bdkennedy said:
    timbit said:
    I don't know why or how this because acceptable. Steve Jobs would have never allowed it.
    Oh good lord - the pics on the Apple site do show a protruding rear camera. How is can this work at all? Was the big iPad Pro equipped with a protruding camera?
  • Reply 9 of 55
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    looks like a great machine...but had to justify an upgrade from an iPad Air...I have no specific need for an iPad...it's a nice to have.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    This iPad totally rocks!
    In fact, it exactly what Bill Gates has been looking for all along as shown in the video link below.
    I see a lot of PC users at home and businesses buy this to replace their PCs.

chia
  • Reply 11 of 55
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    The 12.9 was a very risky form factor. Seems to me like they're cutting back on the size to stay safe. Won't be surprised if the new 9.7 inch iPad Pro is the more popular version by next year
    magman1979
  • Reply 12 of 55
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    A few observations... I'm more comfortable working in OS X and have a large investments in expensive apps so iPad Pro doesn't appeal to me. It has a compelling array of features but a computer attached to a keyboard with a home button looks goofy to me. iPad Pro seems to be a homage to Microsoft Surface which must be mention in passing as the elephant in the room. I don't know enough about either to say which is more powerful but I know I like Apple's OSes and ecosystem better. Finally, the iPad Pro should forever put to rest DED's delusional fixation that Macbook's will transition away from Intel chips. It should be apparent Apple seeks to differnentiate iPad Pros from MacBooks. 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 13 of 55
    why- said:
    The 12.9 was a very risky form factor. Seems to me like they're cutting back on the size to stay safe. Won't be surprised if the new 9.7 inch iPad Pro is the more popular version by next year
    Well, given a choice of a free 12.9 or 9.7, l'd take the 12.9.
    In hospitals and other businesses where they buy them buy them in high volumes, they will likely buy more 9.7 units.
    Some PC users have 24+ inch screens while others make do with 15 inch screens, now they can both get iPads.

Apple specifically mentioned the millions of old PCs for a reason.  They probably have orders already.
    The 3 million Chineses on boarding ApplePay overnight is not to shabby either.

Time will tell.
    steveh
  • Reply 14 of 55
    tonypietonypie Posts: 42member
    Does the SmartCover from my iPad Air 2 work with the new 9.7 iPad Pro?
  • Reply 15 of 55
    God this is so boring  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    roger wadeAI2xxx
  • Reply 16 of 55
    talexytalexy Posts: 80member
    timbit said:
    Are there apple devices without a case? ericthehalfbee said:
    Seriously, people were complaining that $599 is too much? Pencil and keyboard support with Smart connector, improved display quality, improved cameras, Retina flash, A9X, 4 speaker sound and 32GB base model?

The pencil is $100 more, the Keyboard ist over $100 more, so if you like all the new possibilities, it's in fact over $300 more.
    roger wade
  • Reply 17 of 55
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Wait - **EMBEDDED** Apple SIM? You can't swap it out? Even the Apple web site says "For added convenience, an Apple SIM comes installed on the 12.9‑inch iPad Pro in a number of countries. And the 9.7‑inch iPad Pro with an embedded Apple SIM is available all over the world." The footnote reads "Embedded Apple SIM in iPad Pro (9.7-inch) may be disabled when purchased from some carriers." I have to test apps on several different iPads and I've enjoyed being able to swap my SIM around. I know this is a lot easier for the average end-user if they never have to deal with a SIM, but this makes it harder for me and harder, even more so when I travel internationally (I usually get a local SIM when I travel abroad).
  • Reply 18 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

But you're forgetting the extra $200 for the items you're paying $100 more for the support of. 
  • Reply 19 of 55
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I have iPad Pro 12.9" and I have NO intention to "downsize" the screen because of one major reason: 12.9" is a lot closer to the actual standard paper size and it gives me a better visualization of what a print will look like. And it's much easier and more natural to write on a big screen than on iPad Pro 9.2. I used to have iPad Air 2 and I used to write on it. iPad Pro is just much better - it supports my writing better. 

I really hope they will keep making 12.9" forms with next generation processors. 

But I have an issue when they say it's the PC replacement. It isn't. It will never be a PC although it's remarkably capable. The iOS just doesn't give that kind of PC power. It still doesn't support native file system and there is no way to open RAW files in Adobe apps - I've tried over and over and they could not read my RAW files - only JPG. You cannot program efficiently on iPad. You cannot multitask well on it. 

You cannot get file information on each image or file in Photo app so I cannot tell if it's a JPG or a RAW or PNG. Hardly professional as professionals MUST know what kind of formats they're dealing with. You cannot tell if it's PNG, PSD, JPG, or RAW on iOS (although you can with third party apps but that's NOT how it should be). We definitely need to get rid of many useless "formats" and make formats open standard with XML and binary data that is clearly documented. 

iCloud Drive on iOS is getting close to what file system should be but again, here's the problem - it doesn't let me have photos from Photo apps. And same with PDFs from iBooks (although I believe 9.3 adds support for it, right?). 

iOS is still way too behind. It's a real disappointment. A true native system for a mobile device would be like iCloud but hold ALL personal data such as photos, documents, videos, and so on instead of having Photos or apps holding them inside their apps. That will simplify a great deal for all of us. But again, it should not be called iCloud but like CoreData as some of us don't want some data in the cloud. The minute you let data go into the cloud, it will be vulnerable to brute force attacks. 

No way that I could call iOS a "PC replacement" - it won't happen unless those shortcomings are clearly addressed. 
    mj webmaxxe2jdw
  • Reply 20 of 55
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

But you're forgetting the extra $200 for the items you're paying $100 more for the support of. 
    nope, you're paying a bit more for the option to use said devices (and of course all the other new features). you may not need either pen or keyboard, or need one next year. but like a machine with more ports or slots -- its the capability and flexibility you're paying for. 
    ration al