Apple announces 9.7" iPad Pro with Apple Pencil support, True Tone display, A9X CPU, starting at $5

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    What does this mean for photographers ?

We look like donkeys now. With our goofy color checker passports and our expensive display calibration kit on our desks... Apart of course from our bag with a camera and one or more lenses, worth several thousands of euros.

No, our hobby or profession is over and done.

Photoshop ? Out the window ! Looking for that perfect look and feel for your black and white photo's ? A waste of time.

From now on, your photo's will look more and more yellow, as the day progresses, due to Night Shift.
    If that is not all, True Tone will change the 'tint' of your display to match the light of the room you are in. So if you are in a room with a yellow or whatever colored lamp, your iPad will copy the temperature of that lamp and lays that 'tint' over your photo's or whatever you are looking at on your ipad. No questions asked !

No, i am not done yet. If your photos, which you have worked on for quite some time, aren't messed up enough, your -intended- colors are also shifted in their entirity. More towards red and green then intended. This is due to the DCI-P3 color profile of the screen of your new iPad which it uses to 'translate' your -intended- color settings before it is shown on the ipad. 99% of the mainstream pictures are carrying the sRGB 2.1 because 99% of all devices understand that profile. But if you send a friend such a picture, the ipad puts on it's sunglasses and shifts all the colors towards the DCI-P3 spectrum, which is different from the sRGB spectrum, hence the different look. And that difference is quite substantial.

ONLY if i know that you have an iPad DCI-P3, i can 'translate' my workingspace (adobe 1998) to DCI-P3, before i mail you the picture. ONLY then you'll see what i had intended as the photographer. But, who understands anything about color management right ?

It doesn't matter anymore. Our days were numbered already. Pictures are nothing to look at. They are just passing pixels. Consumed by teens who cannot even concentrate long enough to read my post.

Literally billions of hours that have gone into color correction and maintaining and understanding a workflow from camera to viewing media are destroyed now. If that picture is sent out, no soul on this earth will know what the guy on the other side will be looking at.

Thank you Apple for destroying an entire, very noble, and beautiful profession !
    dasanman69
  • Reply 42 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Features that we were told we didn't need have now increased the price of a fully functional iPad by 60%. That's hypocritical, and obscene. 
    the only thing obscene is your need to be a victim. do you actually need a pencil? i don't. thus your made up price is bogus. 

its to like you're trying to add the price of an option trailer to a truck's off-the-lot sticker price. absurd. 

but I get it -- as Apple continues to iterate and make these devices more and more capable and compelling, haters need to scrounge up more FUD to peddle and bitch about. that's getting harder for you, thus this tripe. 
    You obviously have no clue what FUD is. 
    Blaster
  • Reply 43 of 55
    netrox said:
    But I have an issue when they say it's the PC replacement. It isn't. It will never be a PC although it's remarkably capable. The iOS just doesn't give that kind of PC power. It still doesn't support native file system and there is no way to open RAW files in Adobe apps - I've tried over and over and they could not read my RAW files - only JPG. You cannot program efficiently on iPad. You cannot multitask well on it. 

To expand on that from my point of view, you can't hook an iPad Pro up to an external monitor, let alone two.  So, I couldn't have Chrome on one display and the element inspector on the other.  Plus Chrome on an iPad isn't really Chrome, it's Safari with a Chrome-like skin, and does the iPad browser have any web development features?

I've never tried editing video on an iPad, but I doubt it's as easy as Vegas Pro with a Contour Shuttle controller I have on the PC.

How is the iPad at rendering video?  The A9X is quick, but it's not exactly in the same league as an i7,
  • Reply 44 of 55
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    hmlongco said:
    You can always buy the cheaper iPad Air 2 if you don't need the features you believed you didn't need, just like you could have always bought the cheaper iPad Air 2 if, say, you thought you didn't need a 12" screen.

Seriously.

And by, "features that we were told we didn't need" I assume you're referring to the Pencil, which is a professional tool for graphic artists which most people, in fact, do not need. Now, if you have a business case for one, or if you simply want one, then yes, you're going to have to pay for the hardware that supports it.

And while we're on the subject of the not needed pencil, the comment in question came from Steve regarding the original iPhone where yes, needing a stylus for the majority of options meant someone screwed up in the UI/UX department.

Similarly, needing a stylus for the vast majority of iPad operations (navigation, browsing, and running the device in general) also meant that the UI/UX folk messed up. By and large, a handheld tablet doesn't need mouse-levels of control unless, of course, you're in one of those special edge cases...

Like being an artist who wants to sketch on a tablet.

Which brings us full circle.
    Learn your quotes. About the iPad Steve Jobs said "if you see a stylus they blew it" I don't know how 'see' was turned to 'need', and he also said "we're not going to invent another one (stylus)" 
    He also said no one reads anymore (iPad, iBooks, News). He also said no one needs a bigger phone (iPhone 6, 6 Plus). The point being that Apple doesn't always tell you what they're working on.

Apple also listens to their customers and the market, which is how we got the aforementioned iPhone 6, 6 Plus and how, yesterday, we got the iPhone SE. Some people want big phones. Some people want small phones.

And some people want to use pens and keyboards and other accessories, and others are just fine without 'em. Buy what fits your needs, and don't expect every solution to contain every feature.
    brakken
  • Reply 45 of 55
    What does this mean for photographers ?

We look like donkeys now. With our goofy color checker passports and our expensive display calibration kit on our desks... Apart of course from our bag with a camera and one or more lenses, worth several thousands of euros.

No, our hobby or profession is over and done.

Photoshop ? Out the window ! Looking for that perfect look and feel for your black and white photo's ? A waste of time.

From now on, your photo's will look more and more yellow, as the day progresses, due to Night Shift.
    If that is not all, True Tone will change the 'tint' of your display to match the light of the room you are in. So if you are in a room with a yellow or whatever colored lamp, your iPad will copy the temperature of that lamp and lays that 'tint' over your photo's or whatever you are looking at on your ipad. No questions asked !

No, i am not done yet. If your photos, which you have worked on for quite some time, aren't messed up enough, your -intended- colors are also shifted in their entirity. More towards red and green then intended. This is due to the DCI-P3 color profile of the screen of your new iPad which it uses to 'translate' your -intended- color settings before it is shown on the ipad. 99% of the mainstream pictures are carrying the sRGB 2.1 because 99% of all devices understand that profile. But if you send a friend such a picture, the ipad puts on it's sunglasses and shifts all the colors towards the DCI-P3 spectrum, which is different from the sRGB spectrum, hence the different look. And that difference is quite substantial.

ONLY if i know that you have an iPad DCI-P3, i can 'translate' my workingspace (adobe 1998) to DCI-P3, before i mail you the picture. ONLY then you'll see what i had intended as the photographer. But, who understands anything about color management right ?

It doesn't matter anymore. Our days were numbered already. Pictures are nothing to look at. They are just passing pixels. Consumed by teens who cannot even concentrate long enough to read my post.

Literally billions of hours that have gone into color correction and maintaining and understanding a workflow from camera to viewing media are destroyed now. If that picture is sent out, no soul on this earth will know what the guy on the other side will be looking at.

Thank you Apple for destroying an entire, very noble, and beautiful profession !

Night Shift is controllable in the Control Center and Settings.

I suspect the same  for True Tone and the color profile of the display -- won't know until the new iPad Pro is available.

A color standard big enough for Hollywood.

The 9.7-inch iPad Pro display uses the same color space as the digital cinema industry. This wider color gamut gives iPad Pro up to 25 percent greater color saturation than previous iPad models. So colors are more vivid, true to life, and engaging.

http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/

In any case the iPad can capture RAW files which can  be processed on a Mac, as normal.

Keep your powder dry!

Update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBW6p99996o

Nite Shift and True Tone are settable -- @ 1.07 in.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 46 of 55
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

the only thing obscene is your need to be a victim. do you actually need a pencil? i don't. thus your made up price is bogus. 

its to like you're trying to add the price of an option trailer to a truck's off-the-lot sticker price. absurd. 

but I get it -- as Apple continues to iterate and make these devices more and more capable and compelling, haters need to scrounge up more FUD to peddle and bitch about. that's getting harder for you, thus this tripe. 
    You obviously have no clue what FUD is. 
    fear. uncertainty. doubt. its spewed by haters who have a thinly veiled agenda. we know them when we see them. 
    edited March 2016 brakken
  • Reply 47 of 55
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    hmlongco said:
    You can always buy the cheaper iPad Air 2 if you don't need the features you believed you didn't need, just like you could have always bought the cheaper iPad Air 2 if, say, you thought you didn't need a 12" screen.

Seriously.

And by, "features that we were told we didn't need" I assume you're referring to the Pencil, which is a professional tool for graphic artists which most people, in fact, do not need. Now, if you have a business case for one, or if you simply want one, then yes, you're going to have to pay for the hardware that supports it.

And while we're on the subject of the not needed pencil, the comment in question came from Steve regarding the original iPhone where yes, needing a stylus for the majority of options meant someone screwed up in the UI/UX department.

Similarly, needing a stylus for the vast majority of iPad operations (navigation, browsing, and running the device in general) also meant that the UI/UX folk messed up. By and large, a handheld tablet doesn't need mouse-levels of control unless, of course, you're in one of those special edge cases...

Like being an artist who wants to sketch on a tablet.

Which brings us full circle.
    Learn your quotes. About the iPad Steve Jobs said "if you see a stylus they blew it" I don't know how 'see' was turned to 'need', and he also said "we're not going to invent another one (stylus)" 
    speaking of FUD spewed by one with an agenda... nope. when he said "see" he wasnt referring to optional drawing accessories. he was referring to a stylus needed to operate the UI, as was still common and left over from the palm-computer days (palm pilot, windows ce, etc). suggesting it meant anything other than that just reveals your own skewed perspective to distort things into a bogus negative light whenever possible.
    edited March 2016 brakken
  • Reply 48 of 55
    The only sensible thing they -should- do with the light sensors in the iPad, is measure the amount of light of the room so that the brightness of the screen is always the same. Just like my i1 Display. It measures the intensity of the ambient light and adjust my display accordingly. They should stay away form anything that messes up the white balance of the screen. I don’t have a other word for it than ‘insane’. It’s totally nuts ! And still, i haven’t found a single benefit for adjusting the tone of the screen in favor for the tone of the room. This doesn’t help you sleep, it doesn’t enhance the image, it just screws up my creation !
    Should i send out calibrated iPads out with my pictures on it, instead of sending the pics as an attachment in the mail ? What sense does this make ? And this is apart from the color shift that DCI-P3 causes. I don’t know which client has which version of iPad. It is stupid, dumb, insane. Totally nuts. What is the standard (widest) colorspace in photography ? Adobe RGB 1998. From camera, to Photoshop, to final image is Adobe RGB 1998. When you send it out as a jpg, you convert the profile to sRGB 2.1 to avoid a colorshift due to the much narrower colorspace. Mail it, done. 
    The iMac with DCI-P3 already screws this up. This whole truetone and DCI-thing is incomprehensible stupid. What’s wrong with the already widely implemented Adobe RGB 1998 which ALL (semi-) pro cameras use ? It is just as wide but has slightly less saturated reds. What makes me mad is the total lack of respect for all the artists who spend millions of hours to correct their photos, even if it’s just a simple white balance correction or contrast and brightness. Not one single braincell has been devoted to all the enthusiastic photographers who want to share their work as THEY intended others to view it.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    iPad has always been about how the tools we use for doing work change according to the work we need to do, and that in turn changes the work we do, to take advantage of the tools available.  

In 1960, it took a roomful of people with mechanical calculators on their desks to do the work that later generations could easily perform with a spreadsheet.  But when spreadsheets and other business applications came along, the work they made possible was wholly different from the problem they were initially designed to solve.

All of this feeds into the notion that iPads, and specifically the iPad Pro, is not designed to do the same work that a PC traditionally did.  Those who are suggesting the iPad Pro is a poor replacement for a PC are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  The tablet form factor has its own destiny, which will take on many, but not all the tasks of a PC, while enabling new forms of work and productivity that PCs cannot accommodate.
    You are excellent. You hit the nail right on the head. 
    It's as if, looking from the other side, Windows and android are the square pegs being forced into round hole that Apple created, and is still creating, with iOS. 
    I'm so impressed with Apple's work!
  • Reply 50 of 55

runbuh said:
    Wait - **EMBEDDED** Apple SIM? You can't swap it out? Even the Apple web site says "For added convenience, an Apple SIM comes installed on the 12.9‑inch iPad Pro in a number of countries. And the 9.7‑inch iPad Pro with an embedded Apple SIM is available all over the world." The footnote reads "Embedded Apple SIM in iPad Pro (9.7-inch) may be disabled when purchased from some carriers." I have to test apps on several different iPads and I've enjoyed being able to swap my SIM around. I know this is a lot easier for the average end-user if they never have to deal with a SIM, but this makes it harder for me and harder, even more so when I travel internationally (I usually get a local SIM when I travel abroad).
    Yeah hey, don't freak out. There's also a tray for a removable SIM. 
  • Reply 51 of 55
    sog35 said:
    netrox said:
    I have iPad Pro 12.9" and...
    Not everyone uses a PC like you do.  For tens of millions the iPad is a PC replacement.
    iPad Pro has replaced my Windows PC's and my Mac.
  • Reply 52 of 55

toddzrx said:
    sog35 said:
    iPad Pro. 

Now begins the PC replacement cycle.  In 5 years hardly anyone will be using laptops.
    Stop with this nonsense.  If this were true, we'd "hardly...be using laptops" now since iPads have been around for 5 years.  It's not the form factor, it's the operating system.
    Erm, have you actually looked at the sales figures of iPads vs. portable PC form factors since 2010?
    And on an indirect note, profitability in the market segment?
    I mention this second point as it is vitally important for a business to make a profit to be sustainable. 
    iPad offers a LOT more than a similarly-priced netbook or notebook or ultrabook, and now the 9.7 Pro has just upped the game. Again.
    And when it comes to software, where have Windows, Chrome or Linux made improvements to their added value over the past six years?
    A little more security - but only in some areas? Linux and Chrome - do they even exist any more, in terms of market share or profitability?
    That leaves Windows, a product on hardware that at $400 - $800 offers MS's sale of the century adware and marketing but not anything more substantial than what it was offering in 2010, that I noticed.
    MS became the overlord in the 90's and 00's due to its destroy-and-undermine-all-competition approach. If they can stop doing that and begin partnering with other companies to bring added value, I'd be both surprised and impressed.
    Meanwhile, they are 15 years behind Apple in building a profitable network of developers, market leaders and accessory makers, including the APIs, software, and reputation for excellence with customers.
    I really do think you are under-estimating and under-valuing Apple's contribution to the technological age, and how much people enjoy its products.
    Apple has a reputation for constant improvement, and it's the only company with this reputation.
  • Reply 53 of 55

hmlongco said:
    20% more is not 'a bit more'. If you don't want a stylus or a keyboard you're still screwed paying for its support. Previously a iPad cost $499 and the user was able to use all its features, now the iPad costs $799 if one wants to use all the included features. That's going revive sales? Good luck with that. 
    No!!! More features cost more money!!! What kind of filthy capitalistic country is this!!!

Next thing you going to tell me is getting a better truck with a bigger engine that let's me tow more things is going to cost more money too! Not to mention actually buying the things I want to tow!

Oh, the humanity....
    Hahaha - nice one! It's amazing that Apple gets attacked for making a better product with completely non-copied features and releasing it at a higher price, while the competition is always praised for releasing something more expensive with fewer features/accessories/less usability/lower quality/no resale/etc. Oh - and no space left on the SSD due to bloated operating systems. Butbutbutbut it has a USB port and HDMI out, ya know? ;)
  • Reply 54 of 55
    hmlongco said:

Seriously.

If the Pencil is a 'stylus', I'm a born-again Christian. Eiw!
    If hml had actually used a stylus and a Pencil side-by-side, it would know the difference.
    Superficial thinking with emotional knee-jerk reactions. I hope hml goes back to android...