First look: Apple offers premium power at budget pricing with new iPhone SE

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    And all the experts here thought I was wrong to say there would be another 4" iPhone after the 5s. . . .

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/2714040/#Comment_2714040

Just sayin' . . .  I was right for once lol
    cornchipbaconstang
  • Reply 22 of 58
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    crimguy said:
    And all the experts here thought I was wrong to say there would be another 4" iPhone after the 5s. . . .

Great to see all the BS replies by sog35. 
    icoco3Blaster
  • Reply 23 of 58
    The (false) headline is that these are 6S phones in a smaller design without 3D touch for $399. The truth is that you're sacrificing way more than just screen size and 3D touch: -Screen - 800:1 contrast ratio is significantly lower; doesn't use the photo alignment tech. -No word on the type of cover glass so it is likely not double ionized like in the 6S. -Probably not 7000 series aluminum. -TouchID - uses 1st generation touchID which isn't as fast as the 2nd gen unit on the 6S. -No Barometer. -Doesn't do HDR video, front camera is 6 level and not the 5Mpix in the 6S. -Doesn't use LTE Advanced but instead regular LTE like the 6. The one saving grace is that they made it thick enough to not have a camera bump. Almost makes all those other sacrifices worth it.
    edited March 2016 sirlance99cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 58
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    crimguy said:

This one by Sog is classic

Apple wont go through all that trouble and money for a phone thats going to sell for $0 on contract.

Is Sog ever right on anything?
    icoco3cornchipBlaster
  • Reply 25 of 58
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    pmz said:
    2) Today it is actually more possible to live with a 16 GB device than it ever was before. Not the other way around.
    Except that iOS is getting larger and apps are getting larger and taking videos, as opposed to photos, is more popular. 16GB of storage on an iOS is certainly doable depending on the user, but it is not getting any easier.

Plus it makes it more difficult for less sophisticated users to use their phone because managing space, both local and moving things in and out of the cloud, can get a bit complex. iCloud being garbage doesn't help in this regard.

Skimpy amount of disk space on a cheap android device is par for the course. An an Apple device it is an embarrassment but just proves that Apple sees their customer as cash machines and doesn't really care about the user experience like their marketing tries to suggest.

-kp
  • Reply 26 of 58
    sog35 - the champion of apple products ;)
    aaronjBlaster
  • Reply 27 of 58
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    It's much cheaper; more price-competitive with clones. So does that mean the SE stands for "Samsung Edition"?
    Actually it stands for "Samsung Eviscerator".
    ration alpatchythepiratebaconstang
  • Reply 28 of 58
    bigpics said:
    Really, compared to an iPhone 6s, the only thing missing from the iPhone SE (aside from a larger display) is pressure sensing 3D Touch.

Pretty sure I know what one cardinal feature will be in next year's SE+.....

PS: the continuing 16/64 GB shuffle really makes me think less of the company.  Such a naked tactic that leaves most budget buyers with a sub-par owning experience, or simply pads Apple's margins for those that bump up.  Not a customer-centric way of doing biz.

I've had plenty of 16 GB iPhones. Everything is streamed today and as long as you manage your photos with Photos or manually remove them, I haven't had a problem. I now have 128 GB which really just lets me get lazy. It all comes down to your budget vs needs.
    aaronjargonauticoco3cornchipbaconstang
  • Reply 29 of 58
    How much bigger is the OS? How much bigger is the average app? My son has a 16GB iPad mini, he has no photos on the device,  doesn't iMessage with any one , and has only a handful of apps,  and he's constantly running out of space. 
    Why did you buy/allow him to buy such a crippled device when you clearly know better??
    You probably want to see what's using the storage and manage that a little bit better. Could be lots of attachments in iMessage or Mail that you should delete or not store on the device. I build an app that is basically desktop software and its 50 MB. 
  • Reply 30 of 58
    I think this phone is one hell of a deal, regardless of storage capacity. I can easily see this phone selling like hotcakes (does anyone say that anymore?). I think this was a great move by Apple. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 31 of 58
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    sog35 - the champion of apple products ;)
    You sum it all on your first post.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

This one by Sog is classic

Apple wont go through all that trouble and money for a phone thats going to sell for $0 on contract.

Is Sog ever right on anything?
    He was right on 6+.
    I admit that I wouldn't believe any new release of 4" regardless new or old chassis. But when I saw the refreshed iPod Touch last year with new chip, I thought everything was possible. One thing I didn't believe that the 4" in new chassis would be priced at below $550. I thought they would keep 5S as is at $450 and release new iPhone 6, 4" at $550. Still, we don't know what Apple think. We just speculate things based on leaked information combined with our own analyses (good and bad)...
    edited March 2016 ration allatifbp
  • Reply 33 of 58
    kpluck said:
    pmz said:
    Except that iOS is getting larger and apps are getting larger and taking videos, as opposed to photos, is more popular. 16GB of storage on an iOS is certainly doable depending on the user, but it is not getting any easier.

Plus it makes it more difficult for less sophisticated users to use their phone because managing space, both local and moving things in and out of the cloud, can get a bit complex. iCloud being garbage doesn't help in this regard.

Skimpy amount of disk space on a cheap android device is par for the course. An an Apple device it is an embarrassment but just proves that Apple sees their customer as cash machines and doesn't really care about the user experience like their marketing tries to suggest.

-kp
    Poor baby. Big bad Apple taking advantage of poor little consumer.  What will all those millions of satisfied customers ever do? Maybe you should go buy a Samsung so you won't feel embarrassed anymore and can sleep at night.  Fit right in with those babies at MacRumors.   
    cornchipbaconstanglatifbp
  • Reply 34 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I used to be right. 

Then I got banned from MacRumors. And Neowin. 

:D 
    lord amhran
  • Reply 35 of 58
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    Very interesting. Love the 5/5s design & while it doesn't have all the kickass 6/6s stuff, it's got quite a bit going for it at the price. Since the wife's 5 got stolen a couple weeks ago, I may wind up getting one of these and giving her this 5 so we can retire the 4… again.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    saarek said:
    sog35 said:
    Apple's sells TENS of MILLIONS of 16GB phones a year.

Its time for you to get out of your own 'world' and realize other people are perfectly fine with 16 GB.
    Most people buy the 16gb because it's the cheapest and they don't know any better.

Unless you use very few apps and rarely take photos it is not enough.

I accept that some people are able to get away with just 16gb.

However most phone manufactures, especially the flagship devices moved away from 16gb a long time ago.

16gb back in 2010 made sense, it does not make sense now, especially when you plan to keep the device for 3 or more years.
    Speculation... I'm sure Apple is making the decision to keep 16GB based on actual numbers, not emotions
    ration albaconstangnolamacguy
  • Reply 37 of 58
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pmz said:
    saarek said:
    sog35 said:

Its time for you to get out of your own 'world' and realize other people are perfectly fine with 16 GB.
    Most people buy the 16gb because it's the cheapest and they don't know any better.

However most phone manufactures, especially the flagship devices moved away from 16gb a long time ago.

16gb back in 2010 made sense, it does not make sense now, especially when you plan to keep the device for 3 or more years.
    You're wrong.

1) A tremendous swath of users don't know or care how much storage their device has.
    2) Today it is actually more possible to live with a 16 GB device than it ever was before. Not the other way around. Two of the biggest culprits of storage space: iMessages, and Photo library have had recent innovations that prevent them from taking up all of your storage. iMessage can now auto-delete old messages, and iCloud Photo Library + Optimize iPhone Storage allows you to take as much Photo and Video as you like, while constantly reducing the amount of actual local storage.

So, the argument that it "made sense" back in 2010 when none of these features existed is completely wrong.
    While many don't care a whole hell of a lot more do care. As to storage requirements that should be up to the user to decide what is acceptable. I personally can't see buying a 16 GB device at all anymore because the apps I use require lots of storage space.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pmz said:
    saarek said:
    sog35 said:

You're wrong.

1) A tremendous swath of users don't know or care how much storage their device has.
    2) Today it is actually more possible to live with a 16 GB device than it ever was before. Not the other way around. Two of the biggest culprits of storage space: iMessages, and Photo library have had recent innovations that prevent them from taking up all of your storage. iMessage can now auto-delete old messages, and iCloud Photo Library + Optimize iPhone Storage allows you to take as much Photo and Video as you like, while constantly reducing the amount of actual local storage.

So, the argument that it "made sense" back in 2010 when none of these features existed is completely wrong.
    While many don't care a whole hell of a lot more do care. As to storage requirements that should be up to the user to decide what is acceptable. I personally can't see buying a 16 GB device at all anymore because the apps I use require lots of storage space.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    That iPhone 5 body must be the longest-lived shape in tech! I wish they'd styled it like the 6 so they had the same design language. Oh well.

Maybe next year it will get the plastic body of the 5C...

Now waiting for the Mini to get quad speakers and Pencil support!
  • Reply 40 of 58
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    saarek said:

Unless you use very few apps and rarely take photos it {16 GB} is not enough.
    You would be shocked how many people that describes.
    baconstang