Apple expected to ditch aluminum, release glass-backed iPhone with OLED display in 2017

Comments

• Reply 41 of 120
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,115member
    staticx57 said:
    He knows nothing about Apple as his vague statements show: "glass back to stand out from the competition" and alike. That's not Apple as we know it. He rather describes a state-sponsored Korean multimedia telephone maker's debate. Apple is a computing giant who has grown to this peak thanks to... you name it, without any state sponsorship, ever... It has no concerns like standing out of the crowd.

A switch as strategic as oled makes sense only if Apple converts all its displays, including iMacs, Thunderbolt displays, MacBooks, iPods and iPads from LCD to oled... It is NOT a multimedia telephone maker. It sells a computing ecosystem, not a few models of multimedia telephones. You must be Kuo to believe that Apple will introduce a mess of incompatible, inconsistent display technologies into its established and mature ecosystem and it will leave LCD (to join the crowd while trying to stand out from the crowd, by the way)...
    Believe me I cannot wait for AMOLED screens on more devices. It'll be the biggest upgrade that im looking forward to for my rMBP.

Great, so when LCD tries to display it can, but when it tries to display black it displays gray. 
    I don't see any black as gray on my Macs, iPads and iPhones, nor on my LED TVs. Blacks are duly black. You say the opposite and claim that blacks are displayed as gray on LCD. Nothing to discuss about, we cannot come to an agreement.
    mejsric
  • Reply 42 of 120
    sfbsfb Posts: 1member
    The Galaxy G6 and Galaxy G7 have glass back and OLED has been around for years. Sounds like Apple is interested in using the glass back to provide wireless charging like the 6 and 7 have.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 43 of 120
    OLED is a superior display technology. I can't wait for the technology to be introduced to the iPhone and then to the rest of Apple's line. 

OLED will allow for unique designs that will never be duplicated by conventional LCD technology. OLED consumes less power overall. Yes, a white background can potentially consume more power than LCD, but Apple will likely include an option that will allow the use of a black background. 

Apple needs to lock up the supply of OLED panels from LG and Samsung and deprive the likes of Huawei and Xiaomi access to them. With the best processor on the market with the best display and the best OS, the lost price Android manufacturers in China will have a difficult time competing. Even if Samsung and LG survive as the only alternative handset manufacturers to Apple, that would be all right. 

Now, if Apple would source their cameras and sensors from LG or Samsung and dump Sony, they would have the best mobile device on the market in nearly every category. 
  • Reply 44 of 120
    staticx57 said:
    tzeshan said:
    AMOLED is a gimmick.  The color reproduction is not faithful.  It is only good for video.  But black is not black.  White is not white. 
    AMOLED has been, for quite a few years, been able to be calibrated just as well as LCD. AMOLED has matured A LOT. Look at what Samsung can do with AMOLED and then tell me Apple can not do better?

These tests are almost meaningless as they are always done on brand-new devices. They should test them after 1 or 2 years to see if they still perform as well (since this is the one area where AMOLED can have issues - degradation over time).

I don't care if Apple switches to OLED or keeps using IPS. If they switch I'm sure it'll happen because the technology has matured enough that Apple feels it will meet their needs.
    hmmtmay
  • Reply 45 of 120
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    According to Wikipedia there are many disadvantages of OLED.  Some are very serious.  Don't be fooled by Samsung marketing and Android marketing.

Disadvantages[edit]

LEP (light emitting polymer) display showing partial failure
    An old OLED display showing wear
    Lifespan
    The biggest technical problem for OLEDs was the limited lifetime of the organic materials. One 2008 technical report on an OLED TV panel found that "After 1,000 hours the blue luminance degraded by 12%, the red by 7% and the green by 8%."[69] In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays. This is lower than the typical lifetime of LCD, LED or PDPtechnology. Each currently is rated for about 25,000–40,000 hours to half brightness, depending on manufacturer and model.[70][71] Degradation occurs because of the accumulation of nonradiative recombination centers and luminescence quenchers in the emissive zone. It is said that the chemical breakdown in the semiconductors occurs in four steps: 1) recombination of charge carriers through the absorption of UV light, 2) homolytic dissociation, 3) subsequent radical addition reactions that form π radicals, and 4) disproportionation between two radicals resulting in hydrogen-atom transfer reactions.[72] However, some manufacturers' displays aim to increase the lifespan of OLED displays, pushing their expected life past that of LCD displays by improving light outcoupling, thus achieving the same brightness at a lower drive current.[73][74] In 2007, experimental OLEDs were created which can sustain 400 cd/m2 of luminance for over 198,000 hours for green OLEDs and 62,000 hours for blue OLEDs.[75]
    Color balance
    Additionally, as the OLED material used to produce blue light degrades significantly more rapidly than the materials that produce other colors, blue light output will decrease relative to the other colors of light. This variation in the differential color output will change the color balance of the display and is much more noticeable than a decrease in overall luminance.[76] This can be avoided partially by adjusting color balance, but this may require advanced control circuits and interaction with the user, which is unacceptable for users. More commonly, though, manufacturers optimize the size of the R, G and B subpixels to reduce the current density through the subpixel in order to equalize lifetime at full luminance. For example, a blue subpixel may be 100% larger than the green subpixel. The red subpixel may be 10% smaller than the green.
    Efficiency of blue OLEDs
    Improvements to the efficiency and lifetime of blue OLEDs is vital to the success of OLEDs as replacements for LCD technology. Considerable research has been invested in developing blue OLEDs with high external quantum efficiency as well as a deeper blue color.[77][78][79] External quantum efficiency values of 20% and 19% have been reported for red (625 nm) and green (530 nm) diodes, respectively.[80][81] However, blue diodes (430 nm) have only been able to achieve maximum external quantum efficiencies in the range of 4% to 6%.[82]
    Water damage
    Water can instantly damage the organic materials of the displays. Therefore, improved sealing processes are important for practical manufacturing. Water damage especially may limit the longevity of more flexible displays.[83]
    Outdoor performance
    As an emissive display technology, OLEDs rely completely upon converting electricity to light, unlike most LCDs which are to some extent reflective. e-paperleads the way in efficiency with ~ 33% ambient light reflectivity, enabling the display to be used without any internal light source. The metallic cathode in an OLED acts as a mirror, with reflectance approaching 80%, leading to poor readability in bright ambient light such as outdoors. However, with the proper application of a circular polarizer and antireflective coatings, the diffuse reflectance can be reduced to less than 0.1%. With 10,000 fc incident illumination (typical test condition for simulating outdoor illumination), that yields an approximate photopic contrast of 5:1. Recent advances in OLED technologies, however, enable OLEDs to become actually better than LCDs in bright sunlight. The Super AMOLED display in the Galaxy S5, for example, was found to outperform all LCD displays on the market in terms of brightness and reflectance.[84]
    Power consumption
    While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image that is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 60–80% of the power of an LCD. However, an OLED can use more than three times as much power to display an image with a white background, such as a document or web site.[85] This can lead to reduced battery life in mobile devices, when white backgrounds are used.
    mejsricmacplusplus
  • Reply 46 of 120
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    apple's fiscal year 2017 actually starts on the 27th of this year. it's possible this is what Kuo means.
  • Reply 47 of 120
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    1. OLED ( AMOLED ) has matured a lot, no denying fact.
    2. It doesn't mean Apple will use it though, OLED white still consumer lots more energy, from energy perspective, lots of Apps and Web pages still uses white, it is unlikely this scenario will change or help but apple simply switch to a black interface. But displaymate said latest from Samsung is now roughly 10% within LED LCD range under normal common usage.
    2.5. 10% is still a lot when you consider 45% of energy usage are from Screen.
    3. MicroLED still beat OLED, but that is even further away.
    4. LG WOLED solve many of these problem / concern, but they dont seem to be working on Smartphone size display.
  • Reply 48 of 120
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    ksec said:
    1. OLED ( AMOLED ) has matured a lot, no denying fact.
    2. It doesn't mean Apple will use it though, OLED white still consumer lots more energy, from energy perspective, lots of Apps and Web pages still uses white, it is unlikely this scenario will change or help but apple simply switch to a black interface. But displaymate said latest from Samsung is now roughly 10% within LED LCD range under normal common usage.
    2.5. 10% is still a lot when you consider 45% of energy usage are from Screen.
    3. MicroLED still beat OLED, but that is even further away.
    4. LG WOLED solve many of these problem / concern, but they dont seem to be working on Smartphone size display.
    Remember, OSX has a dark mode now, no reason iOS can't. It would certainly help.

staticx57 said:
    Believe me I cannot wait for AMOLED screens on more devices. It'll be the biggest upgrade that im looking forward to for my rMBP.

Great, so when LCD tries to display it can, but when it tries to display black it displays gray. 
    I don't see any black as gray on my Macs, iPads and iPhones, nor on my LED TVs. Blacks are duly black. You say the opposite and claim that blacks are displayed as gray on LCD. Nothing to discuss about, we cannot come to an agreement.
    Displayed as gray because of backlight bleed.

edited April 2016
  • Reply 49 of 120
    I'm having a hard time believing this will happen when iPhone 7 comes out this summer and the 7s will be a complete redesigned iPhone. This isn't how it works. This might be the case in 2018 but not 2017.
  • Reply 50 of 120
    Jeez you people seriously get a life, arguing back and forth like 15 year olds about nothing important. 
  • Reply 51 of 120
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    The iP4's design is still my all-time favorite, then followed by the iPhone 5 & SE.  Being wrapped in glass just gave it a sense of polish and finish that one doesn't find with today's iPhones.  Like Steve Jobs said when he introduced the iP4: "It's like a beautiful old Leica Camera".  No truer words.

I don't understand the hate about the glass.  I've owned a new iPhone every two years since they first came out and I never broke/cracked any of the glass panels on any of the phones.  Once I dropped my iP4 right on my tile floor and it landed on the corner of the glass and strangely, it didn't break but it made the glass bulge there a bit which I didn't understand, but didn't care since it was my fault and I accepted it.  Unlike people here that for some reason will expect nothing less than a phone being 100% encased in some magical diamond-hardness material.  Infantile really.

I would love for Apple to introduced an iPhone4-inspired design again.  I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 52 of 120
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    All Glass. 
    All black. 
    Rounded edges. 
    Seamless OLED display. 
    A rounded glass dark monolith. 
    Subscreen fingerprint sensor. 
    Subscreen speaker and camera. 

One can dream. 
    staticx57
  • Reply 53 of 120
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    staticx57 said:

There is nothing to discuss, it's true and common knowledge. Open a full screen black image on your iPhone, iPad or iMac and turn the lights off. In complete dark you will see the screen, and that's because it's not black but grey. 
    Do the same on the Apple Watch and you can't see the display. Even if part of it contains text you won't see the edges. OLED blacks are real blacks. 
    cnocbuistaticx57
  • Reply 54 of 120
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    staticx57 said:
    AMOLED has been, for quite a few years, been able to be calibrated just as well as LCD. AMOLED has matured A LOT. Look at what Samsung can do with AMOLED and then tell me Apple can not do better?

These tests are almost meaningless as they are always done on brand-new devices. They should test them after 1 or 2 years to see if they still perform as well (since this is the one area where AMOLED can have issues - degradation over time).

I don't care if Apple switches to OLED or keeps using IPS. If they switch I'm sure it'll happen because the technology has matured enough that Apple feels it will meet their needs.
    Lol!

Should iPhones have their battery life assessed when they are 2 years old - one year away from the three year average use-span Apple expects of iPhones and Watches?

Here is my 6 years of daily use OLED screened phone - taken a few minutes ago:

I don't think there is a serious longevity issue, particularly considering there have probably been about 7-8 generations in OLED improvements by Samsung since this one was made.

singularity
  • Reply 55 of 120
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,115member
    clemynx said:
    There is nothing to discuss, it's true and common knowledge. Open a full screen black image on your iPhone, iPad or iMac and turn the lights off. In complete dark you will see the screen, and that's because it's not black but grey. 
    Do the same on the Apple Watch and you can't see the display. Even if part of it contains text you won't see the edges. OLED blacks are real blacks. 
    There is no "real black" in the nature, at least in the close one. Real black is the ultimate lack of energy, which is only possible in the underground, several kilometers underwater and alike. So what will you represent with the "real black" since there is practically no such object or scene in our daily life? Even the darkest night sky is "gray". So that black fetishism is just a marketing gimmick. Avoiding 100% black and 100% white is the basic rule of graphic arts so don't try to present a defect as a feature... 

You cannot even shoot real black, there will be always a bunch of stray photons that will come up to ruin your screen experiment. So discussing how to display something you cannot shoot makes no sense...
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 56 of 120
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    cnocbui said:

Lol!

Should iPhones have their battery life assessed when they are 2 years old - one year away from the three year average use-span Apple expects of iPhones and Watches?

Here is my 6 years of daily use OLED screened phone - taken a few minutes ago:

I don't think there is a serious longevity issue, particularly considering there have probably been about 7-8 generations in OLED improvements by Samsung since this one was made.

You are aware that color balance is what ericthehalfbee is speaking of, and that you have taken an uncalibrated picture, of the uncalibrated screen of your phone, and posted that image for people that, for the most part, can't or don't calibrate their screens. What are the odds that you made your point?

Yes, OLED's have some excellent properties, especially blacks, but Apple has taken pains to calibrate the LCD screens on all of their devices, especially the new iPad Pro, and I would find it unfortunate if the fading of the primary colors of the OLED would cause a screen to have substantially incorrect color balance after a "reasonable" period of time; a couple of years would be my  minimum case.

For professional workflow, and yes, people do use their iPhones and iPads to capture and edit media, lack of color correct screens has a huge impact on a workflow. Maybe Apple figures that OLED's are far enough along that they can deal with OLED limitations for the 7s cycle. But "color" me wary at this point in time.

redgeminipa
  • Reply 57 of 120
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    tzeshan said:
    According to Wikipedia there are many disadvantages of OLED.  Some are very serious.  Don't be fooled by Samsung marketing and Android marketing.

Disadvantages[edit]

The first dozen or so references in that snippet are more than 5 years old. Time has not stood still.  
    cnocbuisingularity
  • Reply 58 of 120
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,046member
    supadav03 said:
    On an aside, what exactly is the purpose of a curved screen? Both Samsung and LG have done it, it two different ways, and I don't see any benefit with either. Can someone clue me in?
    A curved screen looks different than most flat phones. That alone will sell a lot of phones.
  • Reply 59 of 120
    clemynx said:
    All Glass. 
    All black. 
    Rounded edges. 
    Seamless OLED display. 
    A rounded glass dark monolith. 
    Subscreen fingerprint sensor. 
    Subscreen speaker and camera. 

One can dream. 
    The bolded part is obviously where Apple (or Sir Jony) intends to go but I have to question the italic part. Where in the screen will you put finger print sensor that will be more natural than now?
    And what'll happen when software fails and you need to do a hard reset?
    Also, how to take a screenshot?

I just don't see a more benefit for Home-button-less iPhone, apart from aesthetic, and I hope Apple won't ditch a very important feature (physical button) just for the sake of aesthetic. I hope Apple is smarter than that.
    ..unless of course Apple has some smart tricks in mind...
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 60 of 120
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    I don't see how this would make them stand out when the biggest competitor is doing the exact same thing. Wouldn't liquidmetal or ceramic be more novel?